Wolfgang is better than Wigfrid. (probably)

13 minutes ago, Residays said:

What do you mean m8 some wigfrids force me to be a vegan.

Notice how I said "think" so on impression, so that isn't always the case 
because that still leaves you weith all the veggies and she doesn't have a higher hunger drain so on impressions you don't seem as greedy as Wolfgang.

11 hours ago, Donke60 said:

Notice how I said "think" so on impression, so that isn't always the case 
because that still leaves you weith all the veggies and she doesn't have a higher hunger drain so on impressions you don't seem as greedy as Wolfgang.

I thought she did have a higher hunger drain. Maybe it’s just that she has a very small stomach, so you always have to have food on you. Wolfgang is only a desireable team member if 1) you’re fighting a lot, particularly large mobs, and 2) the Wolfgang player is proactive in these fights. But that’s only one style of play, and many of the friends I play with are not that interested in boss fights. Wigfrid is usually a preferable team member because of the helms and because the character motivates the player to kill a lot of spiders; Wigfrid virtually needs to do this for her sanity. Wicker is also great. WX not so much, unless the player is willing to forage for his/her own gears. Personally, I really welcome Willows because their Bernies really come in handy.

10 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

I thought she did have a higher hunger drain. Maybe it’s just that she has a very small stomach, so you always have to have food on you. Wolfgang is only a desireable team member if 1) you’re fighting a lot, particularly large mobs, and 2) the Wolfgang player is proactive in these fights. But that’s only one style of play, and many of the friends I play with are not that interested in boss fights. Wigfrid is usually a preferable team member because of the helms and because the character motivates the player to kill a lot of spiders; Wigfrid virtually needs to do this for her sanity. Wicker is also great. WX not so much, unless the player is willing to forage for his/her own gears. Personally, I really welcome Willows because their Bernies really come in handy.

Wigfrid has 120 hunger, only 30 less than usual.  Normal hunger drain is 75/day, so she loses a little less than half a day from full to empty.

I 100% agree that played properly Wolfgang is a very aggressive and active playstyle and it is relatively more work to utilize his full potential compared to other characters.  If you play him more passively but don't go mighty it's not too bad but you're basically wasting 37.5 hunger/day to have wilson stats and 50 extra hp.  If I was going to play on a public server I probably would play Woodie even though he'd have less potential benefit to the group simply because Wolfgang takes a lot of mental effort to play well imo.

I also 100% agree that Wx is powerful but doesn't offer anything useful to the group, and that Wigfrid is encouraged to fight weak monsters all the time.

I almost always play as Wolfgang on servers, and I always provide my own food, usually I'm the one who makes the base. I usually hunt koalofents for the 2 or 3 wigfrid son who are with me. I'm guessing you've just had a bad experience with wolfgangs before. Usually we have too much food that we need several iceboxes to hold all our food. We set up plenty of gobbler farms with powder cake and I always get chewed out for placing bee boxes to close to the base.

As for the topic of the discussion I've actually never played as Wigfrid, though I plan to one day. In Single player Wigfrid wasn't as good as she is now. In the Single player game Wigfrid only ever got Health and Sanity form killing the mob , and in Dst she gets it every 2-3 times she lands a hit. That makes her much better against high-health monsters and bosses. I also see Wigfrids low sanity and hunger as not much of a problem, her sanity is just fine and if she teams with Wolfgang they can have a big food farm. One of her great benefits is her damage reduction and 25% extra damage given. This is one of her abilities that carries into late game, along with her health and sanity boost. Once you have a gobbler farm going you can mass-produce meatballs and that makes her downsides pretty much unexisting.

Her spear and helmet are good for the early game, but by mid-game you'll have ham bats and maybe dark swords and you'll be trying to save all your rocks. As for her helmet, it's quite useful until late-game where you might want your head slot for a miner hat or an eyebrella. But in early game to mid-game it makes a great substitute for football helmets. Her only downside which bothers me is that she can't eat any other crock pot recipes which is quite annoying. But one of the substitutes for dragon pie is honey nuggets which is about half its stats.

But overall I would only suggest Wolfgang to players who are experienced and can easily sustain their own food in the early days. Sometimes I just survive by butterfly wings, but on my first time playing as Wolfgang I nearly died of starvation, so before adventuring on to Wolfgang I would play as Wigfrid first, It'll give you a taste of trying to sustain food in the early days.When I met a Wigfrid on day two we decided to straight out hunt a koalofents if you can kite properly it's no problem.

I disagree, Wolfgang is one of the best characters for late game because by then you'll have a whole range of food and a sustainable food farm, In late game your going to be wanting to be going deep in to the ruins, where it doesn't matter if your insane or not, as I said Wigfrid is only good until mid- game and it's only then she starts to fall behind Wolfgang a bit.

And in the base game I completed adventure mode as Wolfgang and in Darkness it's only a 5.5 sanity drain and I mightied it through with fish and frogs legs in only five days.( I brought 20 jerky and a walking cane from The Game Is Afoot) But on my first time I completed it as woodie which was a bit harder.

1 hour ago, FTR said:

oh damn not this topic again. 

My opinion still stands, Wigfrid is more efficient over long time but Wolfgang packs better punch for boss fights.

Efficient in what sense, exactly?  She uses less food, certainly.  Everyone uses less food than Wolfgang.  Wolfgang also saves a lot of time thanks to speed boost and damage boost.

Food becomes superabundant easily in the mid-lategame so the real important savings is time.

22 minutes ago, Cheatzits said:

Sad that people still think Wigfrid is better, stuck watching Volx and Razinghel lol.

In DST Wig is pretty good, definitely better than average.  (Lack of coffee in DS drops her significantly relative to other characters).

If someone thinks she’s mechanically better than Wolfgang though they don’t understand the value of different stats, particularly damage and speed.

13 minutes ago, Cheatzits said:

Except it doesn't cost anything to play wolfgang.

It doesn't cost anything if you're good enough. But untill one gets that good that one can use Wolfgang's advantages, he is far more expencive for the team. 

I know perfectly that Wolfgang has much more potential if used correctly. With friends on a private server. But try to feed some Wolfgangs on a public server and getting enough armor where most people don't know how to use stuff/characters efficiently.

What I wanted to say with that picture is that it's clear that Wolfgang is better, for some people. Not for everyone and every situation, however, and Wigfrid is better suited for a casual gameplay or for those who still learn the game.

My two cents are this, I don't really mind either, both ar quite similar in their food hoarding. 

The difference is Wolfgang hoards all the food.

I find them both to be powerful for different situations, wolfgang excels at killing dragonflies, and other strong enemies without sanity auras while wigfrid is better vs the other monsters, especially packs of smaller enemies, eg hounds and spiders.

The reason why I hate playing as Wolfgang is because of when he changes forms he has a stun animation where he inflates/deflates which is really a sucker in battles.

Archived