Sea Yard is a bit slow

grekon

Yea I know I have build my sea yard next to the brain sprout thingy so I got this. Its just too slow. Nothing is gonna change that. Sometimes I want to repair the boat and go even if its night but I'm just waiting there, staring at the screen.

I thought sea yard was supposed to be the primary way to repair a boat not the boat kits.

I think it's intended use is to have a few of them in your sea base. And have them repair the boat while you are sorting your loot, cooking food, harvesting fish farms and so on. So its a passive repair while you are hanging around it anyways. 

But I do agree, if your primary base is on land, like me. Its serves little to no function in its current state, I just use it to top off my boat health and use repair kits for the rest. If it would repair my boat even when I wasnt in it, then I would love it.

Farming stingers is no problem because of elephant cactus. Ropes and wood costs time, that's right. But I'm pretty sure it costs less time to get materials and craft 2 repair kits than sit in boat and wait for it to repair. And 2 repair kits will fully repair your armored boat and still have 1-2 uses left.

It takes awhile, but the convenience is undeniable. I'll just sit there overnight when I can't do too much else anyway. I'm really glad for the addition because one of the things I didn't like about shipwrecked was having to repeatedly go farm buttloads of wood just to -be able to move-, but the tar cost is so low it's almost like it's free, apart from sitting there for a bit.

And whilst you might technically be able to chop down the rood for a repair kit in less time, it takes less effort to sit around overnight. Get a permanent light source there and you don't even need to pay attention to the game for a couple minutes or so.

It takes 200s (a little under half a day) to fully repair a boat. So it's a bit strange in that its efficiency compared to repair kits depends on the max health of the boat.

• Row Boat, 250hp: a repair kit is worth 240s of sea yard time
  • Armoured Boat, 500hp: a repair kit is worth 120s of sea yard time
  • Encrusted Boat, 800hp: a repair kit is worth 75s of sea yard time

For trees, it takes ~20s to do the whole cycle of chopping, digging the stump, picking up the drops, and planting the pine cones, and yields one board worth of wood.

For grass, it takes ~5s to harvest one rope worth of grass.

Stingers can be automated much more easily, but you still have to pick them up. So let's overestimate that it's 5s per 2 stingers over all (including the time it takes to walk over there).

So overall it takes around 55s to farm a repair kit. Even if you're not very efficient about it, it shouldn't take more than 120s. So for anything other than an Encrusted Boat, repair kits clearly win on time efficiency. For the Encrusted Boat, you have to be pretty efficient to beat the sea yard, but it's doable.

But I think the real problem is that it doesn't feel very good to sit there. So you either need massive investment into sea yards everywhere (which probably shouldn't be able to be placed as close together as they are now anyway, which means that when that gets fixed it'll make planting them everywhere get in the way of placing other things).

And for those saying it's fine because you sit there overnight anyway... a lot of players don't sit somewhere overnight, it's a huge waste of time you could be spending getting places, at the very least. Light is cheap, especially in SW where you have yet another slot you can put a light in.

Personally I'd much rather it repair one nearby boat at a time regardless of whether it's occupied, and have it take much more fuel (maybe 4x, although that depends on whether they make tar harder to get-- right now it seems bugged and I always come back to multiple stacks) and repair more slowly (a full day or even two to repair the boat). Then you could have a fleet of boats and swap them at the sea yard, which seems like a pretty natural thing to do.

26 minutes ago, rezecib said:

And for those saying it's fine because you sit there overnight anyway... a lot of players don't sit somewhere overnight, it's a huge waste of time you could be spending getting places, at the very least. Light is cheap, especially in SW where you have yet another slot you can put a light in.

So much this. People say how they chill near shipyard during night because there isn't anything other to do anyway. It's pretty wrong. Night has the only one difference compared to day being darkness. There are ways to keep your base lit all the time, so it's no problem to work there during night (or in any other place, really). If someone doesn't want to place glitched lanterns it's okay. Obisidian firepits exist and they are great - huge light radius and long burning time.
 Tar lamp isn't the best stuff overthere, but it's really cheap to refuel. Player can use it to travel anywhere they want during night. WX has huge advantage of system overload that can be maintained infinitely in mid/late game or even first spring if RoG world is linked. I'm trying to say that there are many possibilities. Sitting motionless is never beneficial in this game.

1 hour ago, rezecib said:

It takes 200s (a little under half a day) to fully repair a boat. So it's a bit strange in that its efficiency compared to repair kits depends on the max health of the boat.

• Row Boat, 250hp: a repair kit is worth 240s of sea yard time
  • Armoured Boat, 500hp: a repair kit is worth 120s of sea yard time
  • Encrusted Boat, 800hp: a repair kit is worth 75s of sea yard time

For trees, it takes ~20s to do the whole cycle of chopping, digging the stump, picking up the drops, and planting the pine cones, and yields one board worth of wood.

For grass, it takes ~5s to harvest one rope worth of grass.

Stingers can be automated much more easily, but you still have to pick them up. So let's overestimate that it's 5s per 2 stingers over all (including the time it takes to walk over there).

So overall it takes around 55s to farm a repair kit. Even if you're not very efficient about it, it shouldn't take more than 120s. So for anything other than an Encrusted Boat, repair kits clearly win on time efficiency. For the Encrusted Boat, you have to be pretty efficient to beat the sea yard, but it's doable.

But I think the real problem is that it doesn't feel very good to sit there. So you either need massive investment into sea yards everywhere (which probably shouldn't be able to be placed as close together as they are now anyway, which means that when that gets fixed it'll make planting them everywhere get in the way of placing other things).

Personally I'd much rather it repair one nearby boat at a time regardless of whether it's occupied, and have it take much more fuel (maybe 4x, although that depends on whether they make tar harder to get-- right now it seems bugged and I always come back to multiple stacks) and repair more slowly (a full day or even two to repair the boat). Then you could have a fleet of boats and swap them at the sea yard, which seems like a pretty natural thing to do.

Can you recalculate? Each boat repair kit gives 300hp for any boat. How long does it take for sea yard to repair 300hp? And yes it is clearly faster to simply use boat kits instead of standing next to sea yard for half a day.

To add to this, by using encrusted boat we can use both of its item slots for additional boat kits resulting in 600hp worth for boats or 1500hp for cargo boat + any additional boat kits in the character inventory slot allowing us to travel long distances never needing to stop at the sea yard. If people use sea yard they might even go back to it stopping their map exploration or whatever sea traveling they were doing to return to base and repair.

Also I love the idea of repairing non-occupied boats.

7 minutes ago, grekon said:

Can you recalculate? Each boat repair kit gives 300hp for any boat. How long does it take for sea yard to repair 300hp? And yes it is clearly faster to simply use boat kits instead of standing next to sea yard for half a day.

What do you mean? The calculations there are correct. The Sea Yard doesn't repair x hp per second, it repairs 0.5% hp per second. So how long it takes to repair 300 hp on the boat is what I listed (e.g. 240s for a row boat). I was giving the value of a repair kit in sea yard time for each boat, so the idea is that if you can get a boat repair kit in less time than that, then it's better to use a repair kit.

Edit: Although I didn't account for boat degradation during the time the sea yard is repairing...

2 minutes ago, rezecib said:

What do you mean? The calculations there are correct. The Sea Yard doesn't repair x hp per second, it repairs 0.5% hp per second. So how long it takes to repair 300 hp on the boat is what I listed (e.g. 240s for a row boat). I was giving the value of a repair kit in sea yard time for each boat, so the idea is that if you can get a boat repair kit in less time than that, then it's better to use a repair kit.

Oh I thought its repair was flat hp per second. I'm not sure about other boats but I feel like it takes longer than 120s for a sea yard to repair 300hp of the armored boat.

Boat degradation rate is defined in a rather weird way-- each boat is set to lose all of its health over some number of days. So this results in different hp and %hp loss rates for each boat. I ended up putting this in a spreadsheet (lol), but as a result of boats degrading while they're being repaired, repair kits are actually worth a bit more for each boat.

SeaYardVsRepairKit.PNG

36 minutes ago, rezecib said:

Although I didn't account for boat degradation during the time the sea yard is repairing...

Boats no longer lose durablity when not moving, so at least this.
EDIT: Going through patch notes to find proof, but can't seem to find it.
Hmm... It's probably yet another one of these things that I saw but in reality they never existed.

26 minutes ago, Maslak said:

Boats no longer lose durablity when not moving, so at least this.

It looks like you're right about that. Which makes waiting for the Sea Yard even more boring, because it costs you to dance around it...

function BoatHealth:DoUpdate( dt )
    if self.consuming and self.moving then
        self:DoDelta(-dt*self.rate)
    end

if self:IsEmpty() then
        self:StopConsuming()
    end

if self.updatefn then
        self.updatefn(self.inst)
    end
end

In any case, the value of a repair kit is somewhere between the two values I posted, depending on how much you move around the Sea Yard, I guess.

Considering that Tar is very rare to find and the other way is to defeat a boss I do believe its benefits should be better than just staring at screen for half a day(4 minutes) as the sea yard repairs my boat. Btw, can I use 2 sea yards at the same time to speed up the process?

Pretty sure if you ever tried spawning treeguards for living logs you will have plenty of wood, to get stingers you can set up a lureplant, use the eyeplant to eat them all, kill the lureplant and get all the loot. and grass is so free.

10 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

It’s a trade-off. The sea yard is incredibly cheap, but it takes more time, just like the snakeskin sail lasts longer but is slower.

Repair kits are cheaper in terms of time, just like Rezecib described. Chopping some trees, getting grass and stingers from bee farm and then crafting kits is faster than sitting around sea yard. So it is indeed cheaper than sea yard, costs you less time. Everything in this game takes some amount of time and that's why it's usually the best way to compare things/strats.

On 9/29/2017 at 6:55 AM, PuffinBy said:

I hardly repair boats. Just hammer the broken ones and build new boats. Building a new row boats only cost one board and two vines. So sea yard isn't very useful for me if it only repairs occupied boats.

Yeah, in my experience hammering your boat and building it again with the resources it drops is more convenient than the repair kits :/

On 28/9/2017 at 5:07 AM, grekon said:

The sea yard repairs boats too slow. It took half a day to repair about 350hp my armored boat was missing. Pls increase the rate at which it repairs and also increase the amount of tar consumed to repair.

There's always mods that can improve some aspects of the game.

If you feel that the sea yard lacks repairing rate use a mod if not... well you will have to bear with it.

Klei hardly changes something in the game... For good.

Archived