[Updated] Oil Upgrade Preview Now Available!

• Developer

stinkysuit2.gif

Hey everybody!

In our most recent roadmap update post we announced that the time between Oxygen Not Included updates has been reduced down to about six weeks; this is great because it means more updates for you, but it also means less testing time for us. For this reason we've decided to open our testing branch to all of our Early Access players.

Beginning September 21st, anyone who owns Oxygen Not Included and is interested in testing new content will be able to access the Upgrade Preview branch on Steam and play the new update two weeks before it goes live. If you choose to participate in open testing next update, thank-you! Your feedback is important to us and helps us shape future content.

Edit: The preview is now available, please use the instructions below to join.

What does this preview contain?

The following content is available in the Oil Upgrade preview:

Spoiler
  • Oil Biome
  • New Elements: Oil, Petroleum, Plastic
  • New Creature: Slicksters
  • New Medicinal Plant: Balm Lily
  • New Exosuits: Allow Duplicants to venture safely into new locations
  • New Buildings:
    • Oil Refinery
    • Well Cap
    • Petroleum Generator
    • Polymer Press
    • Plastic Ladders
    • Plastic Tiles
    • Comfy Bed
    • Sink
    • Exosuit Station
    • Exosuit Checkpoint
    • Exosuit Dock
    • Heavi-Watt Wire Tile
    • High Pressure Gas Vent
    • Animal Trap and drop-point
  • Apothecary reintroduced
    • All-purpose Placebo pills
    • Vitamin Chews to boost immune systems
  • Disease population now limited by the mass of the object it's on
  • New "Room" mechanic: Better management of medical facility assignment, and to give poor Duplicants something to aspire to

What is open testing?

"Open testing" means players get to test drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is a preview of the upgrade being released on October 5th, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs or crashes while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing the preview.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Oil Upgrade preview, it cannot be reopened again in the Outbreak Upgrade or previous builds.

When is "Tomorrow"?

September 21st at about 10am PDT

To find out what that time is for you. Click Here

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the open testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Early Access branch until Oil Upgrade releases in full on October 5th. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become an open tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included and want to test the Oil Upgrade preview, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the open testing build?

Just switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "oil_upgrade_preview"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

That's it! We hope you'll enjoy this preview of what's to come, and thank-you for your help testing out the new Upgrade!

Oh god, too many games so little time. I haven't even fully played out the outbreak patch but luckily we have two weeks to explore and *break* this oil upgrade preview before it gets released into gen. pop., hopefully I find worthwhile bugs that hasn't been reported before.

Cheers!

With the addition of oil powerplants and easy capturing of hatches for coal making we might start to have real problems with co2. This could mean that you need a water purifier or two to keep the polluted water made by carbon skimmers in control. 

What I am interested with the exosuits if how breathing in them works. Do you need to fuel the with oxylite or does one of the stations require oxygen input and with it fill up the oxygen in the suit

This looks great!
Okay I admit I didn't predict everything but

11 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Oil Biome

Crude oil has existed in debug mode for a while (since the game's release I think) and oil is what's most commonly used for plastic production, so it's quite possible that it will be added, along with a geyser or other renewable source.

New Exosuits: Allow Duplicants to venture safely into new locations

Another thing that might require polymers as one of its ingredients when it is added is suits.

Oil Refinery

In real life, crude oil is refined before being used for polymer production, so I could imagine there being oil refinement if it was added

Petroleum Generator

Other than that, crude oil or substances refined from it could also be used for power production.

Plastic Tiles

Some people have also had the idea that tiles made from plastic could be used to prevent germs from spreading through walls, since they can't survive very well on it.

Polymer Press

The only thing that we know for certain is that the polymerizer will be added and with it plastic (since that's what polymers are)

CALLED IT

Archived