How would YOU change SW Bosses?

HeilerderWelten

Recently the developers  improved on the SW DLC quiet a bit and they did it for free, those glorious mad man ^O^

Thank you for that Klei, you showed us again that you really care about your community and hopefully you get all the credit you deserve.

That being said, you showed with the "A New Reign" DLC that you greatly improved in terms of Boss battle mechanics

and SW could benefit in some points from that.

Lets talk about bosses and drops, there are 3 bosses in SW:

Tiger Shark:

HP: 2500

Attack: 100 and 225 (100+125) Divebomb

Drops:

2-4x Shark Gills

1-2x Eye of the Tiger Shark

8x Raw Fish

+ amazing visual and sound design

+ decent HP and Attack

+ interesting spawning mechanics

+ Sharkkittens are a nice idea

+ the Boss fight on water is quiet decent 

- the Boss fight on land is way to easy and kinda boring

+ Raw Fish drop is ok

+ the Dumbrella item is useful

+ Shark Gills as a snackrifice are decent (Volcano)

- the Sea Sack item is boring and gets barely used

- the Super Spyglass as the only craftable item made from Tiger Eyes isn't interesting enough

Possible solutions:

If you fight the Tiger Shark on land it will use the dive bombs more often and if down to a specific amount of health (30-40%) it flees into the ocean, so that you have to finish the fight in the water.

Rework the Sea Sack item to make it more interesting. (community suggestions would be appreciated)

Implement another craftable Item from Eyes of the Tiger.

Sealnado:

HP: 3000

Attack: 100 and 250 (Twister attack)

Drops:

1x Turbine Blades

1x Magic Seal

4x Meat

+ amazing visual and sound design (again)

+ good HP and Attack

+ the only real seasonal Boss

+ the Boss fight on water is fun

+ the Boss fight on land is also quiet decent

+ nice little naughtyness mechanic

- Sealnado doesn't always spawn in the first hurricane season

+ Meat drop is ok

+ the Iron Wind item is amazing

- the Howling Conch item is extremely situational and gets barely used at all

- the Sail Stick item is only useful in hurricane season and because of big waves most players wont even touch there boats, what hinders the usefulness of the Sail Stick even more

Possible solutions:

Let the boss spawn every hurricane season. It would be very annoying to wait 2 or even more years for the Iron Wind.

Give the Howling Conch the ability to knock down trees, bamboo vines, etc. on the screen when used. (maybe change the amount of uses and how long it lasts)

Or let the player summon a Tornado (like the Sealnado without the seal in it) with the Howling Conch, so that the item works like a SW version of the Old Bell.

Change the ability of the Sail Stick. (community suggestions would be appreciated)

Quacken:

HP: 1000 (Tentacles 90)

Attack: 50 (Tentacles 50)

Drops:

1x Iron Key

1x Chest of the Depths

1x Booty Bag

1x Quacken Beak

Tentacles:

1x Tentacle Spot (10%)

1x Tentacle Spike (5%)

+ amazing visual and sound design (again again)

+ decent attack

+ interesting spawn mechanic

+ the Boss fight is decent (like a bullet hell)

- not enough health, it dies way to quickly

- it has no melee attack, you can just chop him with an axe like a tree

+ Quackering Ram is amazing (thank you so much for adding my idea)

+ Quacken Drill is a decent item

+ Booty Bag is a good item

+ Chest of the Depths is a great idea and works well

+ Iron Key is a Key made of Iron, thats good too ^O^

Possible solutions:

Please give the Quacken more staying power, 1800-2000 health would work just fine for its amazing drops.

Give him a bite attack or headbutt to make him a bit more dangerous.

P.S.

Please post your ideas if you aren't completely satisfied with the 3 SW Bosses

or if you have good ideas for new SW bosses or interesting craftable boss items.

Thanks for your time.

Heiler

1 hour ago, HeilerderWelten said:

- Sealnado doesn't always spawn in the first hurricane season

Let the boss spawn every hurricane season. (like Deerclops spawns every winter)

As every seasonal boss, Sealnado has a chance to spawn. Chance is high, but not 100%. It's the same with Deerclops and others. I've just had world where I didn't get Goose before day 320 (poor WX).

+ the Boss fight is decent (like a bullet hell)

I disagree. Waves being possible to dodge is debatable, but it's the main thing. The main thing is that you can totally ignore waves with some waterproof clothing and a couple of boat repair kits. Attack that is not wave would be good. Maybe introducing some attacks that ignore boat's HP and damage player directly would be a good idea? Not just Quacken.

12 minutes ago, Maslak said:

As every seasonal boss, Sealnado has a chance to spawn. Chance is high, but not 100%. It's the same with Deerclops and others. I've just had world where I didn't get Goose before day 320 (poor WX).

I disagree. Waves being possible to dodge is debatable, but it's the main thing. The main thing is that you can totally ignore waves with some waterproof clothing and a couple of boat repair kits. Attack that is not wave would be good. Maybe introducing some attacks that ignore boat's HP and damage player directly would be a good idea? Not just Quacken.

Maybe a 100% chance would be better in that case, if you are unlucky you have to wait several 100 days for the Iron Wind.

2 hours ago, voyager156 said:

As we all know, the Iron Wind can be refueled by gears. The percentage should be decreased - cos now once you got iron wind, there is no real point in using any sails.

The problem is that the iron wind stats are better (or equal)  than every sail combined.

If the other sails would have individual advantages such as the feather lite sail becoming the fastest but the least durable, the snakeskin sail becoming the most durable and lowest maintenance but slower than usual... and finally the cloth sail being the middle ground.

Iron wind in this would be a slight upgrade over the cloth sail, being the new middle ground that need gears instead of sewing kits. All the while you could use the other two sails for niche reasons.  

We get nothing by nerfing the iron wind. Personally even with iron wind map exploration is still a bit hard. I would like to see more and more content as well as easier ways of finding key things quicker like yaarctopus, volcano and the money machine.

Honestly, coming back to this game after a year or so away, I think the single biggest thing I'd like to see changed is less huge patches of empty ocean. It's great that Klei has put more ballphins, different jellies, etc. in the ocean, but I just made a 200+ day world to check out the new content, which I love, and spent way too much time dutifully mapping big expanses of empty deep ocean in two of the map's corners. Then I was experimenting with world gen to see how setting it to "huge" affects this and using a map-reveal mod to look at a few different maps in a row. Again: Really huge patches of empty deep ocean. 

When people complain that SW is boring, I believe this is the main reason why. You have to explore that ocean just to make sure there's nothing there, but it's completely tedious and unrewarding to do so. Maybe you find a message in a bottle or a swordfish spawn. To make it easier you need boss loot like the super spyglass, but all you really get out of it is checking a chore off your to-do list and a bunch of used up boat repair kits. TBH, a lot of the map space in ROG is effective empty, meadow turf peninsulas where you never go again after raiding them for berry bushes. But it doesn't consume a lot of resources to explore those areas, and therefore you don't feel that disappointed that there's nothing there. Revealing the whole map of SW is one of the late-game challenges, and it's just not that satisfying.

The single thing I'd like to see in SW is an increase in the proportion of land to water, and fewer of these big empty ocean areas.

I don't know what to think about this. Ocean exploration gets old pretty quickly indeed, but... It's ocean, there is lots of water.

About these peninsulas in RoG. Even they can have sweet uses, like making hound farm with vargs, moleworm farms or just keeping safety goats away.

EDIT:
I think I have better idea. Instead of replacing ocean chunks with land, Klei should replace ocean chunks with aquatic biomes! Maybe not common and all the same like coral reefs, but something totally new:

• For example, 1 or 2 large ship graveyards per world. These wouldn't be totally new, but still a fresh thing. Many wrecks and watery graves, seaweeds, maybe some swordfish (nice place for farming). Fog! And... Sharks! I can't really see sea hounds fitting in this dark biome, so maybe not.
  • Biome that is scattered land pieces with magma piles and rocks (but quite small, so it's not copy of magma biome), giving some Galapagos vibe. Pengulls, seagulls and limpets maybe.
  • Ballphin village, of some sort? Not sure how would this look though. Coral reef with many palaces I guess.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but i think that the SW bosses are much better designed than RoG bosses anyhow. The tigershark fight on land may be a tad too easy (but two hits - step away is basically the theme of all landbosses except sealnado) and the sealnado fight on the sea is a bit too straightforward as well but both fights are significantly more challanging than any of the giants.

I think the issue with SW fights on the seas in general is a systemic one, instead of a per-case issue. They are in general pretty much tank'n spank fights, dont starve doesnt handle that particulary well. I think you could fix this by increasing acceleration a tad and significantly increasing the damage per hit. Or add some bleed-through damage to health when figthing bosses.

I like the current bosses and their mechanics, especially the Tiger Shark and her Sharkittens. Originally, I thought that the Sharkittens weren't as interesting as the Moslings, who I consider to be the true Spring boss, but after seeing someone make a Sharkitten pen I realized my folly.

The thing about making the Quacken a more challenging boss is that she is the only boss that must be fought at sea, on a boat. Unless they did a significant change to the acceleration speeds of boats, it's just not feasible to make the Quacken anything more than a tank and spank fight. (I'm still trying to perfect my Walani vs. Quacken surfboard challenge)

I think if they were going to do anything to the bosses besides some number changes, I'd like it to be adding a Dry Season giant. It wouldn't have to be anything mind-blowing, maybe just a guardian for the Volcano who defends the Altar of Snackrifice. Heck, they could even put an Ancient Guardian in there and I think it would be fitting; if nothing else, having four boss fights would make Shipwrecked feel like more of a complete counterpart to Reign of Giants.

19 hours ago, Maslak said:
  • Ballphin village, of some sort? Not sure how would this look though. Coral reef with many palaces I guess.

I've already seen something akin to this with two or three Ballphin Palaces in certain Coral Reef biomes, but maybe having a full-blown Ballphin Village around the Yaarctopus could be a fun thing to add. (It would definitely be a big 'screw you' to Webber players, though. ;x)

1 hour ago, Cataca said:

It may be an unpopular opinion, but i think that the SW bosses are much better designed than RoG bosses anyhow. The tigershark fight on land may be a tad too easy (but two hits - step away is basically the theme of all landbosses except sealnado) and the sealnado fight on the sea is a bit too straightforward as well but both fights are significantly more challanging than any of the giants.

I think the issue with SW fights on the seas in general is a systemic one, instead of a per-case issue. They are in general pretty much tank'n spank fights, dont starve doesnt handle that particulary well. I think you could fix this by increasing acceleration a tad and significantly increasing the damage per hit. Or add some bleed-through damage to health when figthing bosses.

I disagree, the Tiger Shark is definitely easier than Deerclops and Bearger.

In a land fight it almost always uses its bite attack (Bearger atleast uses 2 different attacks and Deerclops has a wider reach and can freeze you) and the Tiger Shark has no insanity aura either.

The Tiger Shark fight is basically like a snake fight with more health mechanic wise.

I agree with your opinion about acceleration in sea fights.

On 21.09.2017 at 12:15 AM, Atsumame said:

The problem is that the iron wind stats are better (or equal)  than every sail combined.

If the other sails would have individual advantages such as the feather lite sail becoming the fastest but the least durable, the snakeskin sail becoming the most durable and lowest maintenance but slower than usual... and finally the cloth sail being the middle ground.

Iron wind in this would be a slight upgrade over the cloth sail, being the new middle ground that need gears instead of sewing kits. All the while you could use the other two sails for niche reasons.  

That could also work!

I just feel that the Iron Wind now is just too good - it outclasses every other sail - which is just boring...

SW bosses are fine in my opinion.

Iron wind is fine as it is. Now that gears supply has been reduced I can only use the iron wind sparingly.  That force me to stick with feather sail which only make ocean exploration/ daily sailing duty longer and boring.

Considering that development cost $$ and $$ is limited, I would rather ask for new content. New mobs to make the game harder, make the sea not as empty and make ocean exploration more fun.

Also some bug fix will be cool. Like the flotsam not spawning at all glitch or the manure in chest making noice glitch or all that CTD crashes. 

I'd like to see more sealnados. But for a game like don't starve its fine for it to be rare.

For the quacken I would remove its icon from the map. Or at least the head. To make the fight a bit different every time.

For the tiger shark I would make it stronger near her shark kittens. Hopefully visually in some way as well.

Archived