The Shipwreck Renaissance

Donke60

Shipwreck  beta two has just launched  and for once I can actually say I'm excited when I game actually did that. 

However I'm going to call it the shipwrecked Renaissance for I feel it's more appropriate and it sounds cooler.

This thread's purpose is to gather suggestions for generally about what you want to see you fixed or added to SW thus far we know the original shipwreck left quite a few loose ends.

for me I wish they fixed two things if that's possible

For me I wish they fixed two things if that's possible

1 if you can only do one thing for each character besides the obvious and make Warly good just please give him a recipe alternative when he's in RoG(my rage is so strong with this one especially in adventure mode! 

2  fix the lagging or memory thing that happens when you have jumped to a shipwrecked world it's really annoying to only be able to play for 30 minutes before your computer starts trying to break itself.

Okay now you guys go!

All the characters need serious rework if they want to be relevant in RoG. What I'm seeing sofar in the update is a step in the right direction in terms of nautical and general features. Frankly, I would be rather willing to settle for SW getting ripped out of DS Base/RoG and being refashioned back to the original plan of being standalone if it means it will get the focus and attention it needs to be playable.

That said the biggest beef for me was the characters, I couldn't suggest much if anything for anyone beyond Walani though, and for her I'd just suggest her board be indestructible (but with a 'balance' meter so she can fall off the board) and usable as an improvised weapon or planted in the ground to function as a siesta lean-to.

I'd still like to see swimming, not to the point where one can ignore the boats altogether but enough that you can swim out into the shallow water to gather mussels, seaweed and other things very briefly but at the obvious penalty of becoming fully wet immediately, also a time limit or clothing specific to the task that wears out with use (like an innertube or floaty wings), it would also mitigate making a boat just to act as a 'bridge' between two islands with a tiny bit of shallow water between them.

With the addition of the ability to move/plant mussel spots and in line with the idea of subsistence, a thing SW struggles with, "sea farms" as an option to plant seaweed, and a new crop a 'sea cucumber', and maybe other waterborne crops.

Retweaked world gen is severely in order, as is the world feels very boring and uninteresting with few to no recognizable set pieces/landmarks. Its remenicint of early builds of DS base where world gen was far more random and whacky. It also is strongly similar to the current Ruins in DS (haven't seen them in DST since I can't run it alone and most servers reset after 2 ingame days.), very empty and very lacking in content.

Thanks Klei for adding my Quackering Ram idea, you are really the best!

What could be added, would be a Sailboard for Walani, her board is extremely fragile and Walani has no late game purpose.

If Walani could combine her surfboard/a new one with a sail (snakeskin, feather...) she would be by far the fastest character on water, that would be a quiet good reason to use her.

Other than that, Klei made Shipwrecked so much more interesting with that update, that I actually bought it also for my PS4, even if I have to wait a bit for its release on console.

(to pay the developers and show my appreciation ^O^)

• Important setpieces like the Yaarctopus, Volcano and the Fishbone to be easier to find. To my knowledge there is no consistent way to be able to find these items beyond random exploration. In ROG the world has a consistent world generation which with proper knowledge can be utilized to make educated guesses on where important things are. I would like something similar with Shipwrecked.
  • More creatures/structures to interact with out on the open ocean. This update is going in the right direction with that so far and I hope they have plans for more stuff to interact with.
  • Fishing could be and should be a whole lot more interesting in an expansion about the ocean. Larger fishing poles that you attach to the boat and a sort of minigame in which you utilize the waves to pull in a big fish. I would love that.
  • More dangers out in the open ocean. Right now the only creatures that could potentially kill you in the ocean are the crocodogs and swordfish. Everything else doesn't really attack unless you purposely seek out a fight.
  • Last and most importantly.. Bug fixes. There are so many things that don't quite work right. I'm going to restart bug reporting in the bugtracker so hopefully they get fixed.

Rework the characters, make the bosses not pitifully easy, more things out in the ocean to make it feel more alive(more biomes and more creatures in them), a bit more boat sidegrades wouldn't hurt, more interesting materials and or endgame content(If it's done somewhat like Tar I'd probably enjoy it), more things that work in a cool way both in rog and in sw, currents leading you to important things like the Yaarctopus and Tiger Shark and Volcano, etc.

Also some bugfxes to things who are still not working too well, for example, Coffee fertilizing.

- fences, doors. wind resistant obviously. noone likes to redo fences every year. same goes to wood walls. Wood is a very sturdy material and it makes no sense wooden walls break so easily when boats (made out of wood) resist even more inclement weather without immediately breaking apart.

- more man made turf, more sculptures, pets, more birds

- more interesting set pieces that require a clever way to work around them.

- other biomes with guarded treasures. Something that requires late game crafting to conquer.

- skelunking with caves, pirates, skeletons, squids creatures, and nasty bucaneers

- warly being brought back to his original status pre food nerf

On 9/14/2017 at 1:49 AM, Donke60 said:

Shipwreck  beta two has just launched  and for once I can actually say I'm excited when I game actually did that. 

However I'm going to call it the shipwrecked Renaissance for I feel it's more appropriate and it sounds cooler.

Obviously, it should be called Creedence Saltwater Revival.

And yes, I can already feel the flames of hell.  You don't need to tell me.

I dislike how cobblestones were brought into SW. It's kind of lazy if you ask me ;_; Coral mosaic turf would be cool - crafted with some coral pieces and magma turf/something. It would look pretty and give speed boost just as cobblestones. More variety is always nice, and turfs from SW are pretty cool, both natural ones and manmade (snakeskin rug).
 In topic of turfs. I understand that beach turf is meant to be undiggable base. But it's quite pretty, and it would be cool to bring it into RoG worlds. Apparently if you change "base" turf in files into something else (jungle turf, for example), you'll be able to dig up beach turf:
pitch.gif
Even without messing with files, you can obtain it by using commands to give yourself turf_beach. It works fine in RoG worlds.

And some other suggestions that can be considered small improvements:

• Green grass tufts! Would be cool to bring green tufts to RoG or yellow ones to SW.
  • RoG Seaworthy can't be destroyed using hammer, only deconstructed with staff. Why is that?
  • I always fish up flotsam when exploring RoG's world edges, because later it just despawns (can't be found again). It also fails to respawn. It means that one almost always have to hammer down Wolly's boat. It sucks, Wolly is okay for some trading (well, not that useful) and for decoration (you can telelocate him to desired place). Fixing flotsam would be great!

Another unique seasonal giant boss. (2 is not enough). More uses for sea traps. Something to make the Quacken more interesting. Make summer less about just staying on an island you don't care about being destroyed and avoiding volcanic bombs until the season ends. More unique, normal sized land creatures. Monkeys are basically it with an occasional water beefalo a doy doy.

this is a small issue for me but the best boat lantern runs on nom renewable items. So it's a bad idea to refil it. I wish the tar lantern would be more powerful as it would solve this problem.  instead it's just a very weak boat torch. 

3 hours ago, Maslak said:

And some other suggestions that can be considered small improvements:

• Green grass tufts! Would be cool to bring green tufts to RoG or yellow ones to SW.
  • RoG Seaworthy can't be destroyed using hammer, only deconstructed with staff. Why is that?
  • I always fish up flotsam when exploring RoG's world edges, because later it just despawns (can't be found again). It also fails to respawn. It means that one almost always have to hammer down Wolly's boat. It sucks, Wolly is okay for some trading (well, not that useful) and for decoration (you can telelocate him to desired place). Fixing flotsam would be great!

I'm pretty sure they're the same grass, just with different art to reflect the influence of the wet or dry environment.

As for the flotsam, more arrives after 15 days, though heavy rainfall speeds up the process.  In "A Cold Reception", it used to show up every 2-3 days, providing a source of gems.  But now there's no more flotsam in Adventure Mode.

I'd love to be able to dive with like a submarine right down to the sea floor where you can go/swim around similar to caves, hop on and off your submarine, have a whole new world underwater, explore shipwrecks and retrieve loot from them, build with unique underwater structures, chase fish, being chased by Sharx, maybe have a giant like a crab, or an angler fish.

Reduce whale bloating time offscreen to be equal to the one onscreen? So that one could be able to craft windbreaker for first huricane season?

Also, could we get Greek fire bombs made from tar? Willow I always wanted to set ocean on fire.

Edit.: An often mentioned feature during Shipwrecked development, boat armor.
Also a wavebreaker for boat, absorbs/reduces damage/negative effects from hitting waves the wrong way.
Ship umbrella/shelter? Used in place of sail to provide resistance to rain and heat?

I feel that SW needs two things pretty badly:

Two more bosses in the seasons. SW boss design is rather good already compared to RoG, no matter what people say. They are about a hundred times more engaging than the giants. But two bosses per year and an optional one just doesnt cut it.

Endgame. While volcano somewhat works as a semi-ruins equivalent, its just too easy there. A second level of the volcano where your main issue to get to the loot say thelucite or obsidian is heat instead of sanity/darkness would work perfectly.

And world hopping is still a bit iffy, i feel. By no means as bad as it was at the start, but it really messes up some of the time based stuff like hound waves.

Archived