Don’t Starve: Shipwrecked Content Update

ImDaMisterL

• Developer

As posted by Bigfoot, Klei's founder, right here, there's a new free content update coming to Don't Starve: Shipwrecked!

The new content is currently available under a new Steam Branch called "beta" with the password being "shipwreckedbeta". Got stumped and don't know how to access that? Here's a helpful link: http://support.kleientertainment.com/customer/portal/articles/2873712

So, what's new exactly?

World

• Crockodogs. Will hound you at land and sea.
  • Ballphin followers and the Ballphin Den.
  • Roe. New food item. Stocks the fish farm.
  • Cormorants. New sea bird. Source of Roe.
  • Tar Slick. Pools of crude oil bubbling on the surface of the water.
  • Tar. New resource.
  • 3 new variety of tropical fish.
  • Rainbow Jellyfish. 
  • Coral Nubbin. Replant coral after it's mined.
  • Ox will produce offspring.

New Craftables

• Galley and Sea Lab . Make your base at sea.
  • Sea Yard. Keeps your ship repaired on the water.
  • Tar Extractor. Gets Tar from Tar Slick.
  • Tar Suit. Temporary protection from wetness.
  • Tar patch. A sticky situation.    
  • Oil Lamp. Quick lightsource for land and sea.    
  • Fish Farms. Grow food on the water.
  • Encrusted Boat.
  • Quackering Ram. New craftable for the Quacken Beak.
  • Sea wall. Water craftable wall. Blocks waves.
  • Tropical Bouillabaisse. New recipe with new tropical fish. 
  • Caviar. New recipe with Roe

Klei hopes you all have fun testing the new stuff! Don't forget, if a nasty bug threatens you, your base and/or the cookies you've been saving for later, you can head over to the Shipwrecked Bug Tracker (link below) so they're properly squashed, no mercy to the mean fellas:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/klei-bug-tracker/ds-shipwrecked/

Nice sailing out there, chumps.

.------.
           /  ~ ~   \,------.      ______
         ,'  ~ ~ ~  /  (@)   \   ,'      \
       ,'          /`.    ~ ~ \ /         \
     ,'           | ,'\  ~ ~ ~ X     \  \  \
   ,'  ,'          V--<       (       \  \  \
 ,'  ,'               (vv      \/\  \  \  |  |
(__,'  ,'   /         (vv   ""    \  \  | |  |
  (__,'    /   /       vv   """    \ |  / / /
      \__,'   /  |     vv          / / / / /
          \__/   / |  | \         / /,',','
             \__/\_^  |  \       /,'',','\
                    `-^.__>.____/  ' ,'   \
                            // //---'      |
          ===============(((((((=================
                                     | \ \  \
                                     / |  |  \
                                    / /  / \  \
                                    `.     |   \
                                      `--------'

First Impressions after discovering and playing with all of the new things:
-New Bird is pretty cool. It's nothing special but it's good.
-Tar is a really good addition to the game and I already love it as well as basically everything made from it. (Although, what does th Tar Suit do differently than the blubber one?)

-Fish Farms and the transplantable mussels and corals are great, can't wait to use these and the ballphin things and the walls in some bases.

I'm going to criticize only the new content, but here's a few suggestions/things I've noted.

-Tar pits seem to never go away. I like that, I'm glad it's like that, but I think there should be some way to dispose of them. Maybe trawl netting over them? Or just using a net on them?

-The new Jellyfish don't even shock you which is odd. Also their art is a bit weird with how bright it is, the white outlines are especially weird in inventory.

-I feel that Sharks shouldn't have been removed, at least have them still spawn when you drop meat to the water ,as it fits them more than the crocodogs. For hound wave purposes though the Crocs are way better.

-Reskin the Sharkfin if you're going to keep Sharkittens as the only way to obtain it.

18 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

-Tar pits seem to never go away. I like that, I'm glad it's like that, but I think there should be some way to dispose of them. Maybe trawl netting over them? Or just using a net on them?

Maybe soon they change the way Tar pits works because there is an item called "Quacken Drill" that let's you dig tar pits on sea

53 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I'm currently have trouble with the instructions for the beta portion.

In your Steam Library, right-click on Don't Starve, go to Properties, then to the Betas tab, paste the beta pass "shipwreckedbeta" in the input field, click the "check code" button and then select "beta - new update for Shipwrecked" from the dropdown menu. The beta should start downloading.

1 minute ago, alainmcd said:

In your Steam Library, right-click on Don't Starve, go to Properties, then to the Betas tab, paste the beta pass "shipwreckedbeta" in the input field, click the "check code" button and then select "beta - new update for Shipwrecked" from the dropdown menu. The beta should start downloading.

paste the beta pass "shipwreckedbeta" in the input field,

image.png.6c06e9e522f27a916235138ffafa2ed1.png

Okay, so that's what I was missing.

So we can posts bugs of the beta in the subforum as usual, right? I saw some parrots were landing in the deep ocean after accessing the beta branch.

I hope the team will fix some of the most annoying bugs, I got that glitch which DarkXero mentioned, too!

16 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

The new content is currently available under a new Steam Branch called "beta" with the password being "shipwreckedbeta". Got stumped and don't know how to access that? Here's a helpful link: http://support.kleientertainment.com/customer/portal/articles/2873712

Maybe you could include in the description that you actually need to type "shipwreckedbeta" first in the "password" blank for the beta branch to be accesible at all. Well.. dunno.. that's how I made it work.

Archived