Announcing Don't Starve: Hamlet, The Forge and other exciting news!

1 minute ago, Nebulaemon said:

Hey, hey hey hey. I don't wanna start drama, but I think you may be misunderstanding the situation here. You can still get the skins as drops, free of charge! You just have the option to buy them instead if you can't wait for them.

[bolding and italicizing is mine] See? It's not like they're pay-only, technically you don't have to give Klei any money what-so-ever during this. It's just that they're a company, and companies unfortunately need to make money, so people have the option to help them out a little. I promise they're not withholding them from players without the money, you can read it right there. Don't panic. It's all chill. Again, not trying to start a fight, just trying to help out.

Not to mention given that a lot of the current playerbase got DST for absolute free in addition to a lot of free added content it really isn't asking that much to throw some cash their way. 

• Like 2

I wonder how long the Forge adventure mode will be? Can it be done in a few hours (for less experienced players too)? With less than 6 players? Because finding a team of 6 and keeping up long hours can be a challenge... and by the way, the adventure mode can be saved? Like in DS the game saved in sandbox or adventure mode.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, t1morino88eex said:

Holly hell, so this is the norm nowadays. I'll never again buy or touch anything Klei makes. I don't care that it's just a visual thing, but this is one of the lamest and cheapest way to expect to make money out of a game. Awful.

It's probably the best option.

They don't divide the community. They can have money if they deserve it (and we don't have to play to test it, so we pay only if we like it). We can have new content over time. They can experiment more freely. Also, it helps covering cost of servers (official servers are important)

It's only cosmetic and it seems that we'll still have way to obtain these skins for free.

I don't know how they could do better, honestly. The amount of people willing to pay for the game isn't extendable forever. DLC aren't a good choice for a multiplayer game. Paying for upgrade giving an advantage, even small, is P2W and should be avoided.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, t1morino88eex said:

Holly hell, so this is the norm nowadays. I'll never again buy or touch anything Klei makes. I don't care that it's just a visual thing, but this is one of the lamest and cheapest way to expect to make money out of a game. Awful.

You don't deserve Klei, they are too good for you. They have gone so much farther with these games AFTER the release date, than most other game developers would with most of it being FREE. I have so much respect for these people's dedication and they are "experimenting" with different ways of making it financially viable that don't effect players hardly at all. This is their full time job, after all. Would you rather they charge for every update? How petty that you are giving up on them (I don't actually believe you are, I think you are just saying that).

Rant complete.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Final Starve.

Don't Fantasy?

Pigmen are moogles now?

1 hour ago, Bigfoot said:

1. The first thing to announce is that we’ve been working on another Don’t Starve singleplayer DLC! Wilson has found the portal to the origins of the Pigmen, and he’s off to explore their civilization. There may be some bushwhacking and tomb raiding involved, too.
  2. Don’t Starve: Shipwrecked Content Update
  3. Caviar. New recipe with Roe
  4. Don’t Starve Together: The Forge With the Ancient Gateway activated our survivors now find themselves trapped in a hostile world of fire and battle. They’ll need to team up to defeat the Battlemaster’s army and his champion, the Grand Forge Boarrior, if they have any hopes of returning home. Here’s what’s in store in Don’t Starve’s first event, The Forge:combo.gif
  5. Players who participate in the event will also be eligible to earn event specific skins. For the skin system, we are doing several changes: Far more skins will drop for players than ever before (by a factor of 4x or more!)
  6. There’s a new trader in town! If you get duplicates, you will be able to break them down to scrap and craft them into event items.
  7. Besides events, we will also continue working on Quality of Life improvements and bug fixes.
  8. When is The Forge being released?We are aiming to release it this November.
  1. "Origin of pigmen"... Does that mean that instead of "evolving" the pigmen devolved? I'm really hyped for the pigmen lore to be honest. Seeing the pig with that mustache makes me think of the beard-piggies @jouste drew yesterday.
  2. I can already imagine the Shipwrecked players like @Donke60 squealing with joy.
  3. Yum! If I were in the game, I'd pig out on that.:wilson_smile:
  4. "Grand Forge Boarrior,"... So... Maybe besides those boars in Shipwrecked, there'll be more pigmen types in the future?  Curious about that creature their killing. With the picklehobin, Wolfgang striking it down in the gif looks like he's insulted.
  5. I've heard this complaint for months on the forum. You devs really listened.
  6. Wait... Does this mean the beefalo trader/"Jack" has competition or same man?
  7. Is that the name of a update?
  8. Maybe on my birthday?580c1dbe4e7ac_arielcloseupintensifies.png.634d98285db06467db7efa447adb81eb.pngJust kidding.

Love the font for Hamlet. The whole vibe in that trailer feels like a Wizard of Oz motif. Does that mean we're going to get Oz-ian skins in the future?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, t1morino88eex said:

How about you keep your insults somewhere else? You're rude. I made my point as politely as possible and they were targeted at Klei. 

You couldn't have been more thoughtless about your... 'thought' process and wording. You didn't think a single part of what you said through and went on a little whinging soapbox that's only parroted by the most brainless of consumers.

If you don't want to be insulted than don't make yourself deserving of it. You're not the kind of consumer this game needs to shape it's statistics and appearance in the public eye.

Edited by RummyNG
  • Thanks 3

Can we appreciate the name of the DS DLC? Hamlet... like Ham -> Pigs. and also 

Spoiler

ham·let
ˈhamlət/
noun
a small settlement, generally one smaller than a village.

AND Hamlet the Shakespeare play, which when the Pig-Mayor dude picked up the totem kind of reminded me of when in the play he was speaking to the skull or whatever.

Cheers, Klei! Can't wait

• Like 14

• Developer
6 minutes ago, RummyNG said:

If you don't want to be insulted than don't make yourself deserving of it. You're not the kind of consumer this game needs to shape it's statistics and appearance in the public eye.

Nobody "deserves" to be insulted. Discussions start to stray as soon as the topic goes from the subject at hand to one of the users, who said something some don't agree with.

This kind of behavior usually is what gets a thread locked, so let's try not to kill the hype and, instead, get along :)

Edited by ImDaMisterL
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Developer
Just now, TheMightyPikachu said:

my only question is will the warrior skins drop after the event? or will it be like the halloween event where it only dropped during the event and you can buy it whenever?

My guess is that they'll probably only be obtainable/droppable during the event, but you'll be able to buy them whenever with the new trader.

1 minute ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Nobody "deserves" to be insulted. Discussions start to stray as soon as the topic goes from the subject at hand to one of the users, who said something some don't agree with.

This kind of behavior usually is what gets a thread locked, so let's try not to kill the hype and, instead, get along :)

I'll agree to disagree but that doesn't mean I won't relax my tone. You're a mod you already know how this goes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Karmattack said:

I'm not trying to insult them directly but like... after everything Klei's given out for free at this point it feels pretty entitled to act like they're "just the same" as DLC greedy AAA games. 

No kidding. I'll happily pay for skins if it means Klei can continue what they're doing. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Cherryzion said:

Can we appreciate the name of the DS DLC? Hamlet... like Ham -> Pigs. and also 

Reveal hidden contents

ham·let
ˈhamlət/
noun
a small settlement, generally one smaller than a village.

AND Hamlet the Shakespeare play, which when the Pig-Mayor dude picked up the totem kind of reminded me of when in the play he was speaking to the skull or whatever.

Cheers, Klei! Can't wait

This was the first thing that came into my mind when I saw the Hamlet DLC:

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 2