Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

banedeath

Dead bodies as a source of disease

Michi01    1773

Maybe instead of corpses being a disease source, germs could multiply inside of corpses because the immune system is no longer active and spread from them. That way a dupe that died to disease would be a bigger hygienic problem than one that died from something different.

chaos0720    14
4 hours ago, banedeath said:

It even says it should be a source and that Tasteful Memories prevent it "Reduces the spread of Disease and Stress Caused by unburied corpses"

I agree with you.. Especially since morbs no longer spawn on dead bodies. There is honestly no need to bury dead bodies at the moment.

I would like to see any or all of these implemented:

Spoiler
  • I think dead bodies should be treated with food in regards to decomposition.
  • Dead bodies should create a permanent and stacking Mourning debuffs for each dead body until it is buried or until it fully decomposes.
  • Bladders should empty when a duplicate dies. The amount would depend on what percent their bladder is at.
  • Any diseases the dupe has should become airborne in whatever gas you decide their decomposing bodies should give off (polluted air, methane [natural gas], etc.)
  • Put some scaveging creature into the dupes -- either have morbs spawn again or have something else spawn (perhaps contaminated meal lice?)

Looking at a list of 25 things that happen when a body dies gave me the following ideas.

Spoiler
  • Blood pools - Perhaps a dead body releases a certain amount of genetic ooze?
  • Bodies change color - just an aesthetic thing, but still would be cool
  • Algor mortis - dead bodies temperatures change @ a rate of 36 degrees per cycle until ambient temperature is reached
  • Body twitches - maybe have a percent chance of a dead body doing this and it causes stress for any duplicants within a certain tile radius
  • Void our bowels - as mentioned above -- bladders should be emptied
  • Secrete putrid odors - dead bodies should give off a gas with diseases if the dupe has it as mentioned above
  • Scavengers eat the body - as mentioned above
  • Bodies can moan - same type of thing as body twiches
  • Immune system shuts down - have the body be treated like slime (promoting growth of disease)
  • Exploding corpse - perhaps a percent of a chance to happen
  • Putrification - body loses more mass as genetic ooze
  • Skin detaches - aestetic change
  • Skin turns to leather - depending upon where the dupe dies, maybe an aesthetic thing?
  • Natural mummification - same as skin turning to leather
  • Decaying body becomes fertilizer - self explanitory
  • Bones finally decompose - turning into some kind of dust/sand in game?

Things mentioned that I couldn't think of an in game applications:

Spoiler
  • Livor mortis
  • Rigor mortis
  • Face skin flattens
  • Hair/nails stop growing
  • Eye bulging and tongue swelling
  • May become covered in wax
  • Skin cells die
  • Entry 1 and 2 are irrelevant in the game.

Source of the list I used for inspiration:

chaos0720    14
12 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

Maybe instead of corpses being a disease source, germs could multiply inside of corpses because the immune system is no longer active and spread from them. That way a dupe that died to disease would be a bigger hygienic problem than one that died from something different.

I was in the process of my long post when you replied. You beat me to it. Lol.

Michi01    1773
19 minutes ago, chaos0720 said:

Decaying body becomes fertilizer - self explanitory

In a way this is in the game, the devs have jokingly referred to it as indirect cannibalism on a stream. If you put a dead dupe into clean water, it gets polluted and you can use that polluted water to fertilize or irrigate plants that produce food for other dupes (this was before the OU, when polluted water could still be used to irrigate mealwood, although we still have fertilizer synthesizers).

brummbar7    513

I think the dead bodies should at least have a giant decor penalty.  Conversely I think monuments should have a decor bonus.  I'd love to bury them in a balm lily garden in a well travelled area, or have my dupes visit them to reflect if relaxation zones become a thing, but currently you just cram them away in the most remote corner possible.  Not very encouraging for the still living, knowing that their death will result in their being treated like garbage.

chaos0720    14
1 minute ago, brummbar7 said:

I think the dead bodies should at least have a giant decor penalty.  Conversely I think monuments should have a decor bonus.  I'd love to bury them in a balm lily garden in a well travelled area, or have my dupes visit them to reflect if relaxation zones become a thing, but currently you just cram them away in the most remote corner possible.  Not very encouraging for the still living, knowing that their death will result in their being treated like garbage.

You don't even have to cram them now that morbs don't spawn on them. You can just let them sit their to be a constant reminder to the other dupes that you are their God and they will yield. ;)

brummbar7    513
Just now, chaos0720 said:

You don't even have to cram them now that morbs don't spawn on them. You can just let them sit their to be a constant reminding to the other dupes that you are their God and they will yield. ;)

I mean aside from the decor penalty, sure.  Which yes, is easily nullified.  But I'm just saying.   Honestly it should be more of a reminder of "hey guys, don't let sand pile up at the bottom of your ladder then there's nothing but CO2 around" or "When you're digging don't constantly jump higher and higher, to more and more inaccessbile perches, in the furthest chlorine biome" or simply "Don't encase your head in granite.  Just don't.  Trust me."  I feel like I'm less their god, and more their OSHA compliance officer.