Rhymes with Play 146 - Oxygen Not Included (World Generation)

Thanks to everyone who made it to our live stream. If you missed the show, you can check out the video-on-demand replay on Twitch now.

Note: As the game is still in development, content shown in the update preview streams may change before going live on Steam Early Access. 

Watch live video from KleiEntertainment on www.twitch.tv

Be sure to check out the Rhymes With Play Dev Cast on Twitch every Thursday at 3:30 PM (Pacific)! 

Also, a special thanks to @HotChocolate, @Kooez, @NovaAva, @The Noon Fish, and @Theinsanefruitloop (from our community forums) as well as GreenThunder1234, HilmThatGuy, LuCiiPeR, Simon, @Ilanpena for sharing their Oxygen Not Included fan art with us.

7 minutes ago, minespatch said:

What cuties. They'd make great pets for dupes.

They wouldn't be too happy about that. Their reaction to a dupe approaching is to flee to the den.

1 hour ago, Risu said:

They spawn from it but they lack a proper death sequence. Just becomes a ghost.
Needs more work before being introduced to the game.

5 minutes ago, Risu said:

They wouldn't be too happy about that. Their reaction to a dupe approaching is to flee to the den.

Teach me your ways Senpai!! I've been trying for so long! But all I'm getting is having black holes consume my game. :wilson_cry:

While this stream was not exactly about new stuff, some things could be seen. As always, things seen might change or not make it in, but there it is:

• The, so called, "derelicts" will be known as points of interest. They work like set pieces.
  • Slime is a source of Trench stench disease.
  • Wash basin and Bottle Emptier were seen in build menu.
  • One more building was seen in utilities tab. The pop-up obscured its name, but it was something like ???Seed Sulicer???.
    Perhaps someone else could make it out. Opened utilities tab could be seen then they were creating that bedroom Point of Interest.

1 hour ago, Radax3 said:

While this stream was not exactly about new stuff, some things could be seen. As always, things seen might change or not make it in, but there it is:

• The, so called, "derelicts" will be known as points of interest. They work like set pieces.
  • Slime is a source of Trench stench disease.
  • Wash basin and Bottle Emptier were seen in build menu.
  • One more building was seen in utilities tab. The pop-up obscured its name, but it was something like ???Seed Sulicer???.
    Perhaps someone else could make it out. Opened utilities tab could be seen then they were creating that bedroom Point of Interest.

Can tell the Bottle Emptier and whatever that seed thing is are using WIP textures.
Plenty more WIP textures using similar shading buried in the game.

Wash Basin is just using the hand sanitizer texture. Clearly wasn't suppose to notice those yet.

3 hours ago, Lumina said:

Edit : also, wash basin is probably a weaker version of hand sanitizer, probably requiring water.

It could be used to wash clothes, like the sweaters. Or wash dupes. Like a shower, but less effective, since they're lying in their own germs. Maybe they'd clean themselves with bleach stone...ouch.

Speaking of hand sanitizer, why do dupes only use them before eating, and not before doing something like, oh I dunno, making meals.

Dupe 1: "So I was carrying a bunch of really nasty stuff earlier today, it was gross."

Dupe 2: "Uh...you're gonna wash your hands before you start making our food?"

Dupe 1: "Nah, what could go wrong"

*All of your dupes have died from Dysentery*

(That was an Oregon Trail meme, for those unaware)

For reference, Wash basin seen at 23:27 under medicine menu, bottle emptier 23:39 under plumbing.  Mystery Machine 23:42 under refinement.  It looks almost like "Seed Sorter" except that the third letter in the second word appears to be too large to be an 'r'.  "Sand Sifter" would make more sense for the third letter, but not the second, which seems clearly an o or a.   Sand sifter would be make more sense, as there is a need to make sand renewable, whereas I don't see any need for a seed sorter.  Unless, they were addressing the sleet wheat seed imbalance by making the wheat grains non-plantable, and you have to process them through a sorter to get a much lower number that are 'viable' and actually plantable.  If it were a sand sifter we might also be getting 'polluted sand' as a product of filters?

ONImysteryMachineSmall.png

11 hours ago, watermelen671 said:
12 hours ago, minespatch said:

There's a printing machine, the concept of duplicants, and only NOW you're thinking cloning might be a theme in this game?

I suppose it's 'theme' like it's repeating. Printing machine and duplicant is one thing. Cloning seed will be another.

Also, i hope this machine will allow to have more seeds for not renewable plant (at the moment).

2 minutes ago, Lumina said:

I suppose it's 'theme' like it's repeating. Printing machine and duplicant is one thing. Cloning seed will be another.

You explained me better than I could. So far the only duplication we've gotten is the dupes themselves. This replication machine for seeds is the next item in the motif on repeating. So I'm curious what other cloning we'll get.

I'm getting Red Dwarf vibes just thinking about it. The episode where they duplicate the entire ship and split it from good and evil sides.

"Splicing" does not mean copying or cloning though.  Splicing is combining or joining multiple things, and specifically has connotations of intertwining or mixing.  It is often used in the context of genetics.   And straight up cloning seeds seems to me like it would be OP, unless there's some hefty costs involved.  But, seed copying would be more straightforward for sure, and Klei does like their aliteration and rhyme.

29 minutes ago, brummbar7 said:

"Splicing" does not mean copying or cloning though.  Splicing is combining or joining multiple things, and specifically has connotations of intertwining or mixing.  It is often used in the context of genetics.   And straight up cloning seeds seems to me like it would be OP, unless there's some hefty costs involved.  But, seed copying would be more straightforward for sure, and Klei does like their aliteration and rhyme.

I'm suddenly wanting haskap berries to be put into the game.

Cross pollination, creating new breeds of plants, creating super plants, and maybe if the game sees the player abusing the system, over splicing could result in the creation a hostile plant, or an invasive species, which results in the other species of plants getting either killed off, or spliced with the invasive species, and making it inedible. Or it being so genetically broken that the end result would be something like the muckroot, harvest once, and it's gone forever. And it being a lousy meal too. :3

That would be

AWESOME!! 

18 hours ago, Scorpio King said:

I remember item dropped had physics...

energy.jpg

I remember when C02 scrubbers were mounted to the ceiling, instead of taking up valuable floor space.

And the Dupes had a sparkle to their eyes. (That was adorable.)

Now they've lost all hope...

Spoiler

And for memes sake:

I remembered ONI before it was cool. :wilson_ecstatic:

21 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

I remember when C02 scrubbers were mounted to the ceiling, instead of taking up valuable floor space.

Having them on the floor has one advantage - they actually process CO2.

I wouldn't object to electrolyzers hanging from the ceiling, though.

4 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Having them on the floor has one advantage - they actually process CO2.

I wouldn't object to electrolyzers hanging from the ceiling, though.

Tru...

But they take up valuable floor space! I'd rather have a gas pump in the room, have it pump everything, have it filter CO2, and cycle the rest back into the room. Counter-intuitive yes, but I value floor space, so anything that keeps stuff off the ground is ok in my books.

There's also taking into consideration gas permeable tiles, so you could just place them underneath the tiles, and have them catch the CO2 in a sense.

Just being able to rotate the thing, to appease both crowds would be awesome. :3

Spoiler

Where do I put my CO2 you might ask? Why into my ration-box room of course! 

Archived