Rhymes with Play 146 - Oxygen Not Included (World Generation)

Join us on our official Twitch channel, where we will be talking about upcoming changes to Oxygen Not Included's world generation. As always, the stream will be going live on Thursday, July 6th at 3:30 PM Pacific (10:30 PM UTC), only on the Rhymes with Play Dev Cast.

Note: As the game is still in development, game content shown in the update preview streams may change before going live on Steam Early Access. 

Where is it?
On our official Twitch channel here:
http://www.twitch.tv/kleientertainment

When is it?
Twitch Stream Date: July 6th, 2017 

10:30 PM UTC (Coordinated Universal Time)
6:30 PM ET (East)
5:30 PM CT (Central)
4:30 PM MT (Mountain)

Here's a handy tool to figure out what time that means for you.

1 hour ago, Lumina said:

It sounds nice ! Maybe we'll learn more about the abandoned "bases".

Wait what?

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

Mage made a status about that last week. Really curious what kind of dangers will be happening in the future of the game.

WAIT WHAT?!

2 hours ago, JanH said:

Join us on our official Twitch channel, where we will be talking about upcoming changes to Oxygen Not Included's world generation. As always, the stream will be going live on Thursday, July 6th at 3:30 PM Pacific (10:30 PM UTC), only on the Rhymes with Play Dev Cast.

Note: As the game is still in development, game content shown in the update preview streams may change before going live on Steam Early Access. 

Where is it?
On our official Twitch channel here:
http://www.twitch.tv/kleientertainment

When is it?
Twitch Stream Date: July 6th, 2017 

10:30 PM UTC (Coordinated Universal Time)
6:30 PM ET (East)
5:30 PM CT (Central)
4:30 PM MT (Mountain)

Here's a handy tool to figure out what time that means for you.

I'm already there. :3 

2 hours ago, Lumina said:

It sounds nice ! Maybe we'll learn more about the abandoned "bases".

32 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Mage made a status about that last week. Really curious what kind of dangers will be happening in the future of the game.

30 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

WAIT WHAT?!

17 minutes ago, minespatch said:

@DragonMage156 screencapped the abandoned base that she saw on a stream.

I didn't know you guys were talking about me (or status update rather).

59572beb19a62_wutisdis.png.9062d8e12229a

This is the screenshot I took from the YouTube video. Although I think I could have gotten a better shot...

Gosh this game just keeps on getting better! ^_^ I honestly can't wait for the next update (although things would also get harder :? )

4 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

I didn't know you guys were talking about me (or status update rather).

59572beb19a62_wutisdis.png.9062d8e12229a

This is the screenshot I took from the YouTube video. Although I think I could have gotten a better shot...

Gosh this game just keeps on getting better! ^_^ I honestly can't wait for the next update (although things would also get harder :? )

i think that base was build when they testing the new version, not generated by the starting game. no reed can grow on a tile.

4 minutes ago, deloquac said:

i think that base was build when they testing the new version, not generated by the starting game. no reed can grow on a tile.

Well that might be fixed later on or the tile is replaced by a farming tile. Who knows at this point?

5 hours ago, deloquac said:

I'm pretty sure i heard them speaking about it as a new feature, but could totally be wrong. Also, if they are testing new things for the generation of world, it's pretty normal that bug like this happen.

But i could be wrong, guess we'll see it in the stream.

Can't wait to be able to see the archived video.  Can't usually watch the stream due to working.  I wonder how this might effect the custom worldgen I came up with.

I know that features on the map tend to cause a lot of holes within it as the as the noise filters have problems filling around them, it seems.  At least, this is what I gathered from my own testing.  I'm assuming this is probably intended, however.  It would also be incredibly be nice is there was more control for where particular biomes show up on the map!

Abandoned bases could be pretty cool, depending on what shows up on them.  If they're just empty tile boxes, not going to be much excitement there, but if there's a piece of equipment you can use in them, that be neat!

As for the new mobs, I'm hoping that Gas Jungle Plant is basically the same, but opposite of the Wheezewort.  Creates heat instead of destroying it.  That could be handy for Pincha Pepper farms, but they should do something else that's useful, as well, like converting one gas to another more useful gas.

1 hour ago, The Flying Fox said:

If they're just empty tile boxes, not going to be much excitement there, but if there's a piece of equipment you can use in them, that be neat!

I was kind of pondering how the 'derelict' bases would factor in as well.  The thing is, the research tree is so short right now, it's pretty easy to have all your research done before leaving the central starting biome.  So unless they stretch the tech tree timeline there's probably not much to be gained in terms of buildings you don't have yet, especially since a lot of them take a lot of infrastructure to use correctly. Unlike Don't Starve, where you just find the building, and use it. 

Then, currently it's not all that hard to get most metals.  So I don't see a material bonanza in the offing, unless you actually find lockers full of material.  And it's not even like Don't Starve, where you might randomly find a useful high-tech item, and build at least a starting base around it, because in ONI you always start in the same spot.  The base situation is not as fluid as Don't Starve.  So I'm really curious to see what they're doing with the derelicts to make them significant and/or interesting.

1 hour ago, The Flying Fox said:

As for the new mobs, I'm hoping that Gas Jungle Plant is basically the same, but opposite of the Wheezewort.  Creates heat instead of destroying it.  That could be handy for Pincha Pepper farms, but they should do something else that's useful, as well, like converting one gas to another more useful gas.

The 'Lily' of some sort, I think it was?  Didn't they say in the last stream it would have a medicinal use?  In any case I don't really think the game needs more heat creation right now...  Or were you talking about another plant?  I don't really remember seeing any others.  But considering the disease focus, I'll bet they'll be plants useful in medicine, at least.

3 hours ago, brummbar7 said:

The 'Lily' of some sort, I think it was?  Didn't they say in the last stream it would have a medicinal use?  In any case I don't really think the game needs more heat creation right now...  Or were you talking about another plant?  I don't really remember seeing any others.  But considering the disease focus, I'll bet they'll be plants useful in medicine, at least.

#. STRINGS.CREATURES.SPECIES.JUNGLEGASPLANT.DESC
msgctxt "STRINGS.CREATURES.SPECIES.JUNGLEGASPLANT.DESC"
msgid "A large, chlorine-dwelling <style=\"plant\">Plant</style> that can be domestically grown with Planter Boxes.\n\nPalmeras grow inedible buds that emit toxic hydrogen gas."
msgstr ""

#. STRINGS.CREATURES.SPECIES.JUNGLEGASPLANT.DOMESTICATEDDESC
msgctxt "STRINGS.CREATURES.SPECIES.JUNGLEGASPLANT.DOMESTICATEDDESC"
msgid "A large, chlorine-dwelling <style=\"plant\">Plant</style> that grows inedible buds which emit toxic hydrogen gas."
msgstr ""

#. STRINGS.CREATURES.SPECIES.JUNGLEGASPLANT.NAME
msgctxt "STRINGS.CREATURES.SPECIES.JUNGLEGASPLANT.NAME"
msgid "Palmera Tree"
msgstr ""

2 hours ago, Risu said:

#. STRINGS.CREATURES.SPECIES.JUNGLEGASPLANT.DESC
msgctxt "STRINGS.CREATURES.SPECIES.JUNGLEGASPLANT.DESC"
msgid "A large, chlorine-dwelling <style=\"plant\">Plant</style> that can be domestically grown with Planter Boxes.\n\nPalmeras grow inedible buds that emit toxic hydrogen gas."
msgstr ""

#. STRINGS.CREATURES.SPECIES.JUNGLEGASPLANT.DOMESTICATEDDESC
msgctxt "STRINGS.CREATURES.SPECIES.JUNGLEGASPLANT.DOMESTICATEDDESC"
msgid "A large, chlorine-dwelling <style=\"plant\">Plant</style> that grows inedible buds which emit toxic hydrogen gas."
msgstr ""

#. STRINGS.CREATURES.SPECIES.JUNGLEGASPLANT.NAME
msgctxt "STRINGS.CREATURES.SPECIES.JUNGLEGASPLANT.NAME"
msgid "Palmera Tree"
msgstr ""

6 hours ago, brummbar7 said:

I believe I've found what you guys are talking aboot:

Spoiler

Palmera Tree:

palmeratree_0.png

Palmera Berry:

palmeraberry_0.png

Palmera Seed:

seed_palmeratree_0.png

Spoiler

Swamp Lily (Not to be confused with the Thimble Reed):

swamplily_0.png

Swamp Lily Flower:

swamplilyflower_0.png

Swamp Lily Seed:

seed_swamplily_0.png

Also, I'll throw this in as a bonus. Do with it what you will. Enjoy:

Spoiler

Watercooler:

watercooler_0.png

15 minutes ago, goodtams said:

Is that pile of stones thingy their spawn? If so, that might mean bbq might be a somewhat sustainable food alternative.

They spawn from it but they lack a proper death sequence. Just becomes a ghost.
Needs more work before being introduced to the game.

Archived