CONCEPT—Area Cooler

I have played this game for a month or so now, and have noticed a very difficult feature—keeping the cool. The only cooling buildings we have are hydrofans, which are a pain to use and are more broken than Windows 10, and the thermo regulators, which actually emit more heat than they remove. Wheezewort is all fine and dandy except for how horrendously slow it is. We have a space heater, why not a cooler? The Area Cooler would be 3x2, and would require a liquid intake and 240w of power. It would cost 400kg of raw metal, and would cool the area by removing 15W of heat per second, in exchange for 5kg of water per second. The description would say "Cools area in its immediate vicinity, requiring water to function." The tooltip would say "When the going gets hot, chill out with this nice, frosty gadget." There would be a -10 decor penalty. It would be unlocked as part of the temperature modulation research, while the Hydrofan would be buildable from the start. What are your thoughts?

I'm not clear what the OP is suggesting.  An intake of water basically suggests its a swamp cooler, but those require only enough electricity to power a fan.  Certainly not analogous to other machines in ONI that take 240w.  Just like the hydro-fan, I think it'd be the non-preferred solution.  The thermo-regulator works fine as long as you strategically position it so that the heat is given off somewhere other than the area you're trying to cool.  If you take a window air conditioner and put it in a room with you, you  will not get any net benefit.  The whole principle behind air conditioning is venting the heat in a space other than the space you are attempting to cool.  The existing thermo-regulator works almost exactly like a real-life air conditioner.  

The game does need a liquid cooler though, I think, that works just like the thermo-regulator, but with liquid.

On 6/22/2017 at 9:42 PM, TreyR9 said:

I have played this game for a month or so now, and have noticed a very difficult feature—keeping the cool. The only cooling buildings we have are hydrofans, which are a pain to use and are more broken than Windows 10, and the thermo regulators, which actually emit more heat than they remove. Wheezewort is all fine and dandy except for how horrendously slow it is. We have a space heater, why not a cooler? The Area Cooler would be 3x2, and would require a liquid intake and 240w of power. It would cost 400kg of raw metal, and would cool the area by removing 15W of heat per second, in exchange for 5kg of water per second. The description would say "Cools area in its immediate vicinity, requiring water to function." The tooltip would say "When the going gets hot, chill out with this nice, frosty gadget." There would be a -10 decor penalty. It would be unlocked as part of the temperature modulation research, while the Hydrofan would be buildable from the start. What are your thoughts?

I would be way more happier with a water cooler, I don't care if it takes 1000 watt, I have yet to see a good one that is not complicated, if anyone has one, I would be keen to see it !!!

I have no problem with cooling the environment or building or machines, I am with you on that Stinktooth, but I can't figure out how to cool down water, my plants keep over heating because the water is too hot for them, at first I thought they were giving off heat themselves, but for the  life of me I couldn't cool them down, eventually I figured out that water after going through the water purifier comes out at about 40 degrees, no matter what temp it went in at.  I have tried running water pipes through rooms cooled with thermo regulators, all to no avail.  But if no one has any great idea, it's back to the lab :)

@Whispershade  2,000 Watts is my final offer

13 minutes ago, Pi2 said:

I have no problem with cooling the environment or building or machines, I am with you on that Stinktooth, but I can't figure out how to cool down water, my plants keep over heating because the water is too hot for them, at first I thought they were giving off heat themselves, but for the  life of me I couldn't cool them down, eventually I figured out that water after going through the water purifier comes out at about 40 degrees, no matter what temp it went in at.  I have tried running water pipes through rooms cooled with thermo regulators, all to no avail.  But if no one has any great idea, it's back to the lab :)

Good news is there is a new building in the works to cool water in a similar way to the way we can already cool air.

1 hour ago, Pi2 said:

@Whispershade  2,000 Watts is my final offer

No, actually, the plants do cause tremendous heat issues. In the Agricultural Update they are 400kg of genetic ooze that starts about 20c. If you're trying to cool bristle blossom or, particularly, sleet wheat, it is a tremendous effort to do so. In those scenarios, replanting effectively generates huge amounts of heat. And the reverse problem is true for pincha peppernuts. In terms of keeping them the right temperature, you don't have to get their mass down, just the external air around them needs to be in the required range.

Their intake water does not actually matter as long as you're piping with abyssalite. Once the water makes it to the building the heat doesn't matter, but the water will heat up non-abyssalite pipes and can overheat your farm.

Farming will change a bit in the next update titled "Outbreak Update" and the plants require their body temperature to be correct but they are only 1kg of genetic ooze which is monumentally easier to manage.

Edit: There are actually a number of exploits you can use to dramatically reduce water temperature if you absolutely must. But using abyssalite piping is the least exploity way of dealing with something like geyser water. I am pretty sure the drip cooling technique still works and the bridge cooling bug may still function as well.  If you search for geysers and cooling in the general discussion you might find the details.

But different, less exploity, options will definitely be available going into the future.

3 hours ago, Whispershade said:

No, actually, the plants do cause tremendous heat issues. In the Agricultural Update they are 400kg of genetic ooze that starts about 20c. If you're trying to cool bristle blossom or, particularly, sleet wheat, it is a tremendous effort to do so. In those scenarios, replanting effectively generates huge amounts of heat. And the reverse problem is true for pincha peppernuts. In terms of keeping them the right temperature, you don't have to get their mass down, just the external air around them needs to be in the required range.

Their intake water does not actually matter as long as you're piping with abyssalite. Once the water makes it to the building the heat doesn't matter, but the water will heat up non-abyssalite pipes and can overheat your farm.

Farming will change a bit in the next update titled "Outbreak Update" and the plants require their body temperature to be correct but they are only 1kg of genetic ooze which is monumentally easier to manage.

Edit: There are actually a number of exploits you can use to dramatically reduce water temperature if you absolutely must. But using abyssalite piping is the least exploity way of dealing with something like geyser water. I am pretty sure the drip cooling technique still works and the bridge cooling bug may still function as well.  If you search for geysers and cooling in the general discussion you might find the details.

But different, less exploity, options will definitely be available going into the future.

I was unaware that the type of pipe made that much difference, and I will check out the geyser cooling systems, thanks

Archived