Alpha Appreciation - (No longer available)

On 7/6/2017 at 3:42 PM, Silvercide said:

I guess you can just sell the skins on the market?

Thank you, but I don't understand how this would work? I tried to check the steam market to get an idea of pricing but I don't see any "skins" for DST there at all (just cards). I don't think you can sell them?

Not to mention I would feel about weird turning around and selling a present Klei gave me (call me old fashioned lol). If there was a way I could give it to a friend that would be better.

Edited by Jacq

• Developer
8 minutes ago, Jacq said:

I don't think you can sell them?

You most definitely can, unless your skins are Loyal or another high-tier item that isn't marketable.

9 minutes ago, Jacq said:

Not to mention I would feel about weird turning around and selling a present Klei gave me (call me old fashioned lol). If there was a way I could give it to a friend that would be better.

If it is a Loyal/Timeless/Proof of Purchase skin, it can't be traded either :(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jacq said:

Thank you, but I don't understand how this would work? I tried to check the steam market to get an idea of pricing but I don't see any "skins" for DST there at all (just cards). I don't think you can sell them?

If you got the item gift, you will need to log into the game before they will show in your inventory - after that you will find them among your steam items!

8 hours ago, JoeW said:

Can you please elaborate?

However, all players must have purchased during alpha.

as the alpha gifts are in part an apology for the pricing issue at that time.Ā 

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5218399712

The OP purchased ONI in Early Access by 46 CNY (reduced price). He recevied DST skin gift.

Ā 

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5219093064

The 10th post purchased ONI in Alpha by 68 CNY, refund, and repurchased ONI in Early Access by 46 CNY. He recevied DST skin gift.

While I am really thankfull to receive a gift, I am disappointed as well. My only choice is between "Invisible Inc." and "Mark of the ninja" which I both already own as a standalone version. Why those restrictions? And why not a Button for an skin gift to choose?

As I read, many people have are facing a similar problem,, that they only can choose a game they already own. But there seems to be no answer anwhere in the thread.

Ā 

Edited by 4k33m

I'm a Chinese player. Prior to buying a a version, and later you promised to refund, re purchase, still qualified, but I refund the re purchase, there will be no qualified gifts to receive qualifications.

so,can you send me a gift?

Probably because they can't verify if you own the game outside of steam, and the choice of skin is limited to keep a value. I doubt there was a way to know that you own the game (especially in a legit way), so this isn't perfect, but they do their best.

Of course they can't know if someone has a standalone version, but the argument of limited skin value is nonsense imho.

Giving out a skin to every alpha buyer who wants one instead of a game would have been the right thing to do. It's even less valueable in real life. It's not like giving a skin to everyone but the people buying the alpha and son't want a game or have them all. So others get a limited skin 'cause they bought the games on Steam.

And I will be stuck with a game, I already own, because I bought it somewhere else. I didn't even want a game. That really s***s.

I own every major KLEI game and bought ONI on day one without hesitation as I did with DST an even DS in beta, and now I can't even get a bloody skin. That's a huge disappointment!

3 hours ago, 4k33m said:

Of course they can't know if someone has a standalone version, but the argument of limited skin value is nonsense imho.

Ok but it's not nonsense for some people, including Klei it seems. So i understand your frustration and point of view, but you could also understand their and respect it.

As I understand it, this gift was supposed to thank people for their support by buying an early access game, and a compensation for the relatively higher price paid in comparison to the now official price.

Well, here I am, bought it, supported it, paid more.... got nothing of use!

One would get other loyal skins like mini monument and bottomless pit, etc. by having bought DST early or owning ROG no matter where it was bought. That is, why I think the limited skin value is nonsense in this case.

If this really results in a loyal skin, they should name it "The Loyal Steam Customer Skin", cause the only way to get it, is by having bought all the games at the Steam store.

6 hours ago, NewKing said:

I'm a Chinese player. Prior to buying a a version, and later you promised to refund, re purchase, still qualified, but I refund the re purchase, there will be no qualified gifts to receive qualifications.

so,can you send me a gift?

Please visit support.kleientertainment.com and send us a support ticket including your purchase information including steam id, screenshots of the purchase email and the refund email-- so we can check it out.Ā 

8 minutes ago, 4k33m said:

As I understand it, this gift was supposed to thank people for their support by buying an early access game, and a compensation for the relatively higher price paid in comparison to the now official price.

One would get other loyal skins like mini monument and bottomless pit, etc. by having bought DST early or owning ROG no matter where it was bought. That is, why I think the limited skin value is nonsense in this case.

If this really results in a loyal skin, they should name it "The Loyal Steam Customer Skin", cause the only way to get it, is by having bought all the games at the Steam store.

The gift is meant to be act as an apology about the price discrepancy that we instituted for a lot of players and an effort to show appreciation to our earliest supporters who may have been affected by this issue. If we were to allow every person who bought Oxygen Not Included to have item skins for DST we would either completely tank the item economy for the game OR we would have to give much less valuable items.Ā 

It's one thing to give away our own games, because that's just our money - but if we completely tank the item economy of items in DST, we are going to upset a lot of people whose items are now suddenly worthless. We didn't give loyal skins because the entire purpose of the gift was to provide items of actual value to people and we didn't want people to feel they were being given "lesser" items.Ā 

I am sorry that you feel let down by the gifts. That being said, I love the idea of the "Loyal Steam Customer Skin" personally as a gamer I am a huge fan of something like that and we have considered something like this many timesĀ - However, I have reservations that some people will interpret this less as a reward and more as an incentive to own games they may not want.Ā 

I would love feedback on this from anybody here on the forums who has an opinion.Ā 

Ā 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, 4k33m said:

As far as i know there is no loyal skin as a result, i didn't saw anything like this. I don't have a lot of example, sure, but here :

No loyal skin.

Ā 

Anyway i don't see what to say. You are in a specific case, because you own two games outside of steam. It's not Klei's fault if the system don't work well in this case, but the only reason you got "nothing on use" is this. So maybe try to find proof of purchase of your game, contact Klei with it and see if they could do a gesture ?

1 minute ago, JoeW said:

However, I have reservations that some people will interpret this less as a reward and more as an incentive to own games they may not want.

I think i will feel that way. I don't like too much the "buy things to have reward", except if i already plan to buy the thing and then have a "free" reward.

I don't mind it time to time, i for example understand the RoG loyal skin for DST, because DST players have the DLC as a free content, so it's a nice reward for people who bought the DLC in DS, because they could feel like deprived of something to see the DLC becoming free for DST players (i hope i'm clear).

But for all the Klei games, no, it's too much. Especially since there are some plush skin, some DLC skin, ... Must be cautious.

What i could understand, maybe, it's a reward like "Klei Fan", if you can get it without spending money. For example, doing one of the list :

- owning all klei games

- being featured artists

- nice mods creators

- moderators

- people helping on forum

- people managing wiki

But for various reasons i could understand why it could not work (also, what to give to someone helping but already having the reward, for example).

24 minutes ago, JoeW said:

The gift is meant to be act as an apology about the price discrepancy that we instituted for a lot of players and an effort to show appreciation to our earliest supporters who may have been affected by this issue.

I bought ONI on 16. Feb 2017. Just saying!

It's one thing to give away our own games, because that's just our money

Then why not letting us choose a giftable game. I would have had use for another copy of DST to give to a friend. Like others stated in the thread before. But this is just useless and feels very unfair.

But nevermind...

44 minutes ago, JoeW said:

The gift is meant to be act as an apology about the price discrepancy that we instituted for a lot of players and an effort to show appreciation to our earliest supporters who may have been affected by this issue. If we were to allow every person who bought Oxygen Not Included to have item skins for DST we would either completely tank the item economy for the game OR we would have to give much less valuable items.Ā 

It's one thing to give away our own games, because that's just our money - but if we completely tank the item economy of items in DST, we are going to upset a lot of people whose items are now suddenly worthless. We didn't give loyal skins because the entire purpose of the gift was to provide items of actual value to people and we didn't want people to feel they were being given "lesser" items.Ā 

I am sorry that you feel let down by the gifts. That being said, I love the idea of the "Loyal Steam Customer Skin" personally as a gamer I am a huge fan of something like that and we have considered something like this many timesĀ - However, I have reservations that some people will interpret this less as a reward and more as an incentive to own games they may not want.Ā 

I would love feedback on this from anybody here on the forums who has an opinion.Ā 

Ā 

This doesn't really answer the question about those who own all the games on the list, but not specifically on steam being unable to get the DST skin gift (I have them on Good old Games for example). Owning the games on the wrong platform means we're not eligible for the same reward as those who happen to own them on them on steam. Was this intended?

I feel like it should have been in the info that the games had to be owned on steam and nowhere else.

Edited by Mangrove

4 minutes ago, Mangrove said:

I feel like it should have been in the info that the games had to be on steam and nowhere else.

The "verify if you are eligible for gift" was on steam so it was clear for me at least, but i agree that it would have been better to specify it clearly. I guess that they missed it, no one as far as i know asked this specific question and there are a lot of things to think when doing this, so forgetting something could happen.

Just now, Lumina said:

The "verify if you are eligible for gift" was on steam so it was clear for me at least, but i agree that it would have been better to specify it clearly. I guess that they missed it, no one as far as i know asked this specific question and there are a lot of things to think when doing this, so forgetting something could happen.

I actually asked about this back in May (page 4 in this thread) but didn't get an answer

• Developer
59 minutes ago, 4k33m said:

Then why not letting us choose a giftable game. I would have had use for another copy of DST to give to a friend. Like others stated in the thread before

The Steam APIs we're using simply don't let us do that.

54 minutes ago, Mangrove said:

This doesn't really answer the question about those who own all the games on the list, but not specifically on steam being unable to get the DST skin gift

Same story. We made a mistake on steam, we wanted to say sorry by giving people Klei games. But people who own all our games would have literally nothing they could get, so we added the skins. They're not a reward for owning everything, they're a "there's nothing else we can give you" prize.

I'd definitely like to tie ownership across all platforms, but it simply wasn't feasible - especially not with the time we had. Some platforms won't even tell us if you own ourĀ game or not, others would get upset about us giving away things on a competitor's platform, etc.

• Like 5

On 17.5.2017 at 8:55 PM, Bigfoot said:

Ā If you already own all of the games (thanks for your support!) then you will be able to choose a gift box containing rare Don't Starve Together skins, with a guarantee of at least 1 elegant skin.

I have no use for it. I won't redeem the key. Just keep it.

I'm outta here...

44 minutes ago, nome said:

The Steam APIs we're using simply don't let us do that.

Same story. We made a mistake on steam, we wanted to say sorry by giving people Klei games. But people who own all our games would have literally nothing they could get, so we added the skins. They're not a reward for owning everything, they're a "there's nothing else we can give you" prize.

I'd definitely like to tie ownership across all platforms, but it simply wasn't feasible - especially not with the time we had. Some platforms won't even tell us if you own ourĀ game or not, others would get upset about us giving away things on a competitor's platform, etc.

I see, no reward for me then :(

Thanks for answering at least, I'll put this to rest now.