DSTEd - The IDE for Don't Starve Together

Bizzi

It's not hard, its only consuming lots of time. The simplest and fastest way was electron with web-techniques... But I have not finally decided to. My second option was C# or Java.

But i have not enought experience in C# because i have special requirements of the user interface. In Java (or JavaFX) i had more than enought experience, but i hate these - users must installed JVM or the application must be shipped out with that.

If I find other developers who implement the project together with me, then that will certainly run better than if you try something single-handedly.

I've updated some basics - DSTEd will be maintained! :)

Some fixed was made:

• fix IPC receiving issues on additional window-frames
  • upgrade depencies to the last version
  • fix steam API issue's
  • fix(/beautify) logger output
  • change API URL
  • Update the website (https://www.dsted.org/)

The steam API will be work in few hours, i'm waiting on DNS check's to retreive the wildcard ssl cert.

Edited by Bizzi
  • Like 2

headavkes.png

Last week, i had announced that me and @Akarinnnnnn will reimplement DSTEd in C#.

Currently, we had a nice and great skeleton of the software. Best of all, we can move much more freely than we did before with Node.js! If you compare the old and the new version, you will see, it's working some faster.

Here lot's of Screenshots for you:

loadn9jnf.pngwelcomehdkaw.pngideitksp.pngcode4hj4r.png

If you wan't to contribute, you can follow the new repository on GitHub. When the new version is released, we will delete the old repository to merge the new version.

For a contribution and discussions, you can join our Discord-Server.

P.S. The new version of DSTEd will be some cleaner and has an lightweighter overview. Here is a little sample of the project explorer to show you that behavior:

description41j4u.png

Edited by Bizzi
Adding some informations
  • Like 5

Is it possible to have a nested tree of the lua tables (maybe based on static analysis or dumping game state during gameplay into json etc.)? A tree-like structure nested that developers can then later navigate and reason about what to do. Mostly to be used for exploring source code, rather than editing game state. For example:

_G
├── TheNet
├── ThePlayer
│   └── Components
│       └── Builder
└── TheWorld
    └── SeasonManager

On 2017/5/15 at 12:36 PM, Bizzi said:

DSTEd pntgndsm8ytwul3g?retina=true - The IDE for Don't Starve Together

preview.png

Hey There :)

The development of content for DST is quickly hard for newbies.

Currently, i'm developing an IDE, a Code Editor for DST based on electron and node.js

Comming Features

• Develop your Mods in LUA-Language
  • Syntax highligtning
  • Mod-specific projects
  • DST-API
  • ModInfo Editor
  • Integrated Steam-Workshop
  • Asset-Editor
  • Console/Logger
  • And lots of more...

Develop your Mods in LUA-Language

As usual, you programming your Mods in LUA-Language. But you don't need to search your Mods folder for specific files. Your Projects and Files will be listed under the same editor.

DST-API

You search a Method or Functions to implement a Feature? With DSTEd you have a complete overview of all possible entry points of Don't Starve Together.

ModInfo-Editor

Don't create your modinfo.lua in plain text; With DSTEd you will have a nice Editor for that.

Integrated Steam-Workshop

For the development do you often go back to finished mods? Download finished Mods directly from DSTEd.

Asset-Editor

Don't extract orpack Assets. DSTEd makes it for you. The basic idea is to use Photoshop or other image processing programs in addition.

The first question was, which method I use for the implementation. The answer was very difficult to answer. I chose ecletron to use it on other platforms as well. DSTEd will be running on Windows, Linux derivates and OS X in 32bit and 64bit.

Currently, DSTEd is under development and not finished for productive usement. If you want to help out, you can participate in the development over GitHub: https://github.com/DST-Tools/DSTEd/

maybe we need to edit link to refer DETEd-2.0

On 2020/1/21 at 12:10 AM, hyiltiz said:

Is it possible to have a nested tree of the lua tables (maybe based on static analysis or dumping game state during gameplay into json etc.)? A tree-like structure nested that developers can then later navigate and reason about what to do. Mostly to be used for exploring source code, rather than editing game state. For example:

_G
├── TheNet
├── ThePlayer
│   └── Components
│       └── Builder
└── TheWorld
    └── SeasonManager

I will work on it.

• Like 1

Hi guys!

I stumbled upon this while looking for something to help create/edit DST mods.
Using the official tools works fine and there's nothing necessarily wrong with them, it's just that I prefer more intuitive software and better integrations. That being said, I picked up the project and actually got this working! It is functional for the most part but it needs some work and I am by no means an experienced C# developer, just an intuitive problem solver who got this thing working.

My GitHub repository for it is here and I do have some more plans for it.
Currently some of the issues we have are:

• The Settings tab doesn't do anything (I don't know if it has options in there or not)
  • The application crashes upon clicking PNG items (I have plans to integrate a dialogue option upon click to either convert to TEX using a fork of handsomematt's original tex tools or to open in an external image editor)
  • The whole entire Steam News thing happening in there just isn't great, and is what was previously breaking the application and preventing it from running (bbcode was panicking when SteamNews was passing a really weird string to it and bbcode was parsing it as a URI)
  • The application file itself doesn't have an icon but it does have one in the taskbar while running
  • The program hangs at first launch for a few seconds (whether or not it's loading something or there's a bug in the works I don't know, but if it is loading I would prefer to add a loading animation)
  • The text colors for lua and xml files etc. are horrendously high contrast (this may just be me as I have my default colors in the registry modified)
  • Create/fix the Recent Files section

Some things I would really like to add at first are:

• The above mentioned plans to take care of some of the issues
  • Color palette customization in settings
  • xml/lua/etc beautification by default with a button to toggle on/off
  • More that I haven't thought about yet

The first beta release is available for download in the GitHub repository. It will run and you can do what you need to do, and it has integration to directly open the default mod tools for DST from Steam in the tabs. It isn't cleaned up or renamed or anything just yet. Still working on that.

Please consider helping to contribute. I don't really know what I'm doing and it's a lot to take on by myself!

Special thanks to Bizzi and Akarin for getting it to this point. Guess it's my turn to carry the torch a bit further now.

On 6/5/2021 at 5:19 AM, Haise0 said:

Hi guys!

I stumbled upon this while looking for something to help create/edit DST mods.
Using the official tools works fine and there's nothing necessarily wrong with them, it's just that I prefer more intuitive software and better integrations. That being said, I picked up the project and actually got this working! It is functional for the most part but it needs some work and I am by no means an experienced C# developer, just an intuitive problem solver who got this thing working.

My GitHub repository for it is here and I do have some more plans for it.
Currently some of the issues we have are:

• The Settings tab doesn't do anything (I don't know if it has options in there or not)
  • The application crashes upon clicking PNG items (I have plans to integrate a dialogue option upon click to either convert to TEX using a fork of handsomematt's original tex tools or to open in an external image editor)
  • The whole entire Steam News thing happening in there just isn't great, and is what was previously breaking the application and preventing it from running (bbcode was panicking when SteamNews was passing a really weird string to it and bbcode was parsing it as a URI)
  • The application file itself doesn't have an icon but it does have one in the taskbar while running
  • The program hangs at first launch for a few seconds (whether or not it's loading something or there's a bug in the works I don't know, but if it is loading I would prefer to add a loading animation)
  • The text colors for lua and xml files etc. are horrendously high contrast (this may just be me as I have my default colors in the registry modified)
  • Create/fix the Recent Files section

Some things I would really like to add at first are:

• The above mentioned plans to take care of some of the issues
  • Color palette customization in settings
  • xml/lua/etc beautification by default with a button to toggle on/off
  • More that I haven't thought about yet

The first beta release is available for download in the GitHub repository. It will run and you can do what you need to do, and it has integration to directly open the default mod tools for DST from Steam in the tabs. It isn't cleaned up or renamed or anything just yet. Still working on that.

Please consider helping to contribute. I don't really know what I'm doing and it's a lot to take on by myself!

Special thanks to Bizzi and Akarin for getting it to this point. Guess it's my turn to carry the torch a bit further now.

Well, I used a modified MoonSharp version to provide auto completion information(somewhat IntelliSense?). If you need, I can dig it out from my old HDD.