3 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

I personally like the current wiki. Sure, it might not be organised the best, though it does provide some good bit of info.

It's just being moved and the wiki will still be there. The whole reason for the new wiki location is to be less bothersome for viewers with all the adds and slowdown it can cause on computers and just my self personally I find the editing tools easier to use on Gamepedia.

3 hours ago, jesuisralph said:

Does Grass Geekos spawns in the caves? I need to know this in order to make a pen or not for my grass.

Does the mushroom planter has to be planted in the sunlight for it to work? What about drying racks?

Grass gekkos do spawn in the caves, that's how my grass farm slowly disappeared (and thanks to the depth worms too).

I'm not sure about the drying racks and mushroom planters, but I'd be really surprised if they'd required light.

Thanks for the answers @Rellimarual & @__orange & @fimmatek.

Speaking of new wiki, I do think we need one for DST. 

I just read through the guide for camping underground: http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Guides/Camping_Underground

Most of the info works for DS only, apparently you can bring 5 beefalos underground. I had to ask people on discord, they told me it could be just for DS only and told me to not read the wiki for DST. 

1 hour ago, jesuisralph said:

Speaking of new wiki, I do think we need one for DST.

Well the wiki is for both, but seeing as DS was around a lot longer then DST there's still a lot of older info that hasn't been updated for DST. Hopefully moving to a new wiki will clear out most of that older info and make it more clear on what applies to just DS and what applies to DST.

4 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Well the wiki is for both, but seeing as DS was around a lot longer then DST there's still a lot of older info that hasn't been updated for DST. Hopefully moving to a new wiki will clear out most of that older info and make it more clear on what applies to just DS and what applies to DST.

Yeah there was already a DS wiki on gamepedia so to avoid confusion The moved wiki will focus on DST completely well thats what I heard. Though I think the wiki might still be in a transfer stat as its only about 15 pages long at the time I post this so I'm not entirely sure whats going to happen.

Hey, everyone!

I'm Deiaa, one of the admins of the wiki. Just wanted to come here and announce that the new wiki at Gamepedia is ready!

But of course, there will be a lot of questions popping up around it, so I'm here to answer them and help out if anyone needs anything! Feel free to message me here or on either wiki - I check them all!

Remember that both wikis are open to editing by everyone except for a few high traffic articles, which are only open to registered users.

Possible F.A.Q.

What will happen to the Wikia wiki?

• The wiki at Wikia will remain active and running and can still be used as normal. You are free to decide to view or edit either or both of them. I am personally able to work at both.

What's the difference between the Wikia wiki and the Gamepedia wiki?

• Wikia has ads with much higher impact. I'm sure a lot of you saw them. Gamepedia has ads restricted to the right side and they will never take up space related to articles. However, Gamepedia is not a straight upgrade. Wikia had some features that Gamepedia lacks, such as article comments, but Gamepedia does have some features specific to the site as well. In general, you get a choice:
  1. A higher quality wiki but with more impactful ads to boot. (Wikia)
  2. A slightly lower quality wiki with ads that have far less impact. (Gamepedia)

Will the new wiki be only for DST or DS?

• Both. As @Corey mentioned above, making separate wikis for DS and DST will be confusing and it is better to just group them under one wiki. Just keep DST changes to entities in a separate section and tag DST Exclusive articles by typing {{DST Exclusive}} at the top.

I am an old contributor at the Wikia wiki with a great edit count and a lot of badges that I felt proud having. What will happen to them? Will I lose them?

• Nothing will happen! Gamepedia has an achievement/badge system as well. You can find a link to a form for preserving your contributions at the top of the site. Just state your Wikia account's name and Gamepedia account's name, and the staff will transfer your contributions and badges in the form of Gamepedia's badges along with your edit count and account history.

Why does the main page say "We have 21 articles"? Just 21?

• The move process was mostly automated, and as a side effect (or bug, if I may say so), that template can't see pages that haven't been edited at least once while on Gamepedia. All articles are there and can be found through searching. This has no immediate fix as of now, and can only be resolved over time as pages are edited.

If any more frequent questions need answering, I will add them here.

Hope you enjoy the new wiki!

30 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Honestly, I think people are over exaggerating. The wiki, for the most part, is pretty accurate. 

If you were paying attention at all you'd see it's not about accuracy. It's about ads getting in the way of actually using the wiki. And thus, a new wiki with less obstructive ads was born.

1 hour ago, Deiaa said:

The wiki at Wikia will remain active and running and can still be used as normal. You are free to decide to view or edit either or both of them. I am personally able to work at both.

How to merge the new commits to another wiki? By manually?

A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

On 5/9/2017 at 11:57 PM, __orange said:

How to merge the new commits to another wiki? By manually?

A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

According to Gamepedia staff, yes, merging user contributions is manual, unfortunately.

As of now, the Wikia wiki is more up-to-date, so we need to update the Gamepedia wiki, and then Gamepedia will take priority for future updates. The only thing that has been updated at Gamepedia but not Wikia is the Skins article, and speaking of which, the problem with the page being too heavy to the point that some people couldn't load it has been solved with that update.

The move took quite some time; it was in progress since April 7th - it took about a month! We figured that if we only open up when the wiki is fully up-to-date, it would never open because wikis are constantly being edited, and whenever we took a step, the original wiki also took a step. So instead, the community should help us update. This will be much faster and require less effort from each editor as there will be more editors.

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority here, but the ads on gamepedia are much worse for me. If I ever go to any gamepedia pages on mobile, there's a strong chance I'll be redirected through a number of scam pop up ads.

11 hours ago, Deiaa said:

Hey, everyone!

I'm Deiaa, one of the admins of the wiki. Just wanted to come here and announce that the new wiki at Gamepedia is ready!

But of course, there will be a lot of questions popping up around it, so I'm here to answer them and help out if anyone needs anything! Feel free to message me here or on either wiki - I check them all!

Remember that both wikis are open to editing by everyone except for a few high traffic articles, which are only open to registered users.

Possible F.A.Q.

What will happen to the Wikia wiki?

• The wiki at Wikia will remain active and running and can still be used as normal. You are free to decide to view or edit either or both of them. I am personally able to work at both.

What's the difference between the Wikia wiki and the Gamepedia wiki?

• Wikia has ads with much higher impact. I'm sure a lot of you saw them. Gamepedia has ads restricted to the right side and they will never take up space related to articles. However, Gamepedia is not a straight upgrade. Wikia had some features that Gamepedia lacks, such as article comments, but Gamepedia does have some features specific to the site as well. In general, you get a choice:
  1. A higher quality wiki but with more ads to boot. (Wikia)
  2. A slightly lower quality wiki with ads that have far less impact. (Gamepedia)

Will the new wiki be only for DST or DS?

• Both. As @Corey mentioned above, making separate wikis for DS and DST will be confusing and it is better to just group them under one wiki. Just keep DST changes to entities in a separate section and tag DST Exclusive articles by typing {{DST Exclusive}} at the top.

I am an old contributor at the Wikia wiki with a great edit count and a lot of badges that I felt proud having. What will happen to them? Will I lose them?

• Nothing will happen! Gamepedia has an achievement/badge system as well. You can find a link to a form for preserving your contributions at the top of the site. Just state your Wikia account's name and Gamepedia account's name, and the staff will transfer your contributions and badges in the form of Gamepedia's badges along with your edit count and account history.

Why does the main page say "We have 21 articles"? Just 21?

• The move process was mostly automated, and as a side effect (or bug, if I may say so), that template can't see pages that haven't been edited at least once while on Gamepedia. All articles are there and can be found through searching. This has no immediate fix as of now, and can only be resolved over time as pages are edited.

If any more frequent questions need answering, I will add them here.

Hope you enjoy the new wiki!

AYY DEIAA!!

On 05/05/2017 at 1:23 AM, Donke60 said:

Yeah there was already a DS wiki on gamepedia so to avoid confusion The moved wiki will focus on DST completely well thats what I heard. Though I think the wiki might still be in a transfer stat as its only about 15 pages long at the time I post this so I'm not entirely sure whats going to happen.

Having it JUST for DST would be ridiculous. The two games act as a sequel and a prequen in a franchise, so to speak. It's like having an entire wiki dedicated to just Halo 4 in the Halo franchise, instead of it being a sub-category, or in the case of DS/DST, having inormation on content that is present in both games and multiple DLCs that is different be clarified in the category for that specific thing. So, for instance, Beefalo have only one page, with DST specific content being described down below under the DST section, outlining any extra content/differences from DST and the vanilla game. Imo, that's quite consistent for the franchise.

10 hours ago, Tosh said:

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority here, but the ads on gamepedia are much worse for me. If I ever go to any gamepedia pages on mobile, there's a strong chance I'll be redirected through a number of scam pop up ads.

If you have an account on Wikia, you are correct. On Wikia, having an account makes ads only appear on the main page, and all other pages only get the "Trending Fandom articles" space, which isn't a third-party ad.

When not logged in, the ads push the page's content downwards from the top and that made misclicking easy to occur. Some people also reported ads with auto-playing videos or even ads that replace the wiki's background. Here's an example provided by @Corey.

.eJwtjMEOgyAQRP_Fu-KigvXc-ANN0-NmIwRJFQhse2n67-XQw8zkzSTzaV75aJZmZ05lEcL4ssVsusIxk7Odi9EdlpIv3RZPQcy07acNXITUap5BTdMsR621BCXkBdQ4jAoA5l6pugvZg277oYUJYcCxr96uOZ64UjA1WrwnQ2wLVrEPDrM9KhvkiGQKIl5jYLwx5bdFR6fFh3_62v8fUpeCa74_2sxDdQ.u-R-kCRp6WRkHAbHGkvSEhIAO2M?width=400&height=187

On Gamepedia, ads have a restricted space which they can't go beyond, and as such have less impact on page content and are easier to ignore. However, logging in doesn't make them disappear unless you have bought or have been granted Gamepedia Pro.

It's also quite likely the ads differ from region to region; I haven't experienced such ads (yet). Then again, both platforms are available, and you are free to use either one of them.

@Deiaa that's not what I meant. I don't have an account for either, but when I try to go on gamepedia on my phone's browser there's a strong chance that it will randomly redirect me through several sites and end up on a phishing page. This is without clicking on anything. At times the problem is so bad that it makes the site practically unusable. I just wanted to go on record and say that wikia is actually a lot more stable and useable If you're using a mobile web browser.

@Tosh I see. Well, this is out of our hands, unfortunately, so just stick with Wikia if it's more comfortable to use for now.

I'll talk to Gamepedia staff about this to see if there's anything that can be done about it.

On 5/10/2017 at 2:34 PM, Tosh said:

@Deiaa that's not what I meant. I don't have an account for either, but when I try to go on gamepedia on my phone's browser there's a strong chance that it will randomly redirect me through several sites and end up on a phishing page. This is without clicking on anything. At times the problem is so bad that it makes the site practically unusable. I just wanted to go on record and say that wikia is actually a lot more stable and useable If you're using a mobile web browser.

Hey there!

This is absolutely unacceptable to us. If you are willing to help us by gathering more information, we'd love to help stamp out these ads. By way of explanation, these ads are being served by one of our partner ad networks. While they generally do an OK job stopping them, sometimes the slip through and we need to ban certain ads from our side.

You can visit https://gamepedia.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006403627-Reporting-Bad-Advertisements for more information about what constitutes a bad ad and how to gather information for us. Additionally/Alternately, you can open a ticket through the same site or by e-mailing community@gamepedia.com and our support team will help you to gather the right information.

If we're not going to have a separate wiki for DST, I implore DST experts to trawl the wiki and add stuff. Most of the articles I've encountered lack a DST entry, even when the mechanics are indeed different.

5 hours ago, Pylgrim said:

If we're not going to have a separate wiki for DST, I implore DST experts to trawl the wiki and add stuff. Most of the articles I've encountered lack a DST entry, even when the mechanics are indeed different.

We're always happy to welcome new editors at the wiki! :D

If you are looking for something there and can't find it, please make us aware of the missing information. Editing there the whole time makes you sometimes go routine-blinded, so someone notifying us of missing stuff is something we're usually very happy and grateful about.

You can either:

- leave a comment at the specific article about what's missing.

- edit the page and add the Incomplete template on top by typing {{Incomplete}}. You can even specify the missing information in the template by adding it in the Template after a |

- or (and that's the best way to go), get the information you were looking in another way and then add it to the page yourself. Become an active editor at the wiki!

You shouldn't worry about style, layout or grammar that much, that can always easily be fixed later, the first step is the actual information. There are always helpful users around and a Manual of Style to assist you. ;)

Archived