Petition to bring back the Old Bell

Should Old-bell be "revived"?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Add Old Bell back to DST?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

Also know one from what i've read has really explained the damage it can do to others only being used once.

As far as I know Bigfoot from the origin of ringing will walk  the entire map to the other side in a horizontal motion. You don't have to really be near the point of origin to really get hit by it you just have to be across from it so it could hurt a lot of other players bases just because they were across the bell's origin ringing point. You don't even have to be the target of the grief just to have a giant foot smack your base down and you did nothing wrong or weren't even there.

In DS bigfoot would walk around 3-5 steps, i can't remember exactly how many. And it was about 2 screens worth of distance. If that were a problem they could change it to just the one stomp

4 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

That wasn't his point someone could just have a fit of rage and have the old bell and boom everyone suffers whether they are a greifer or not.

Once again that can be said just as easy about a torch

1 minute ago, Donke60 said:

A torch does less damge and can be negated with the right tools
a bigfoot stomp can not.

Completely disagree, i think a torch can do more damage than the old bell and combined with a hammer it can't be negated. Regardless, anybody who wants to destroy a base is going to do it whether the old bell exists or not, it won't increase the amount of griefers and if done correctly it won't make it easier for players to grief either

3 hours ago, Josonic said:

Completely disagree, i think a torch can do more damage than the old bell and combined with a hammer it can't be negated.

You just said torch not hammer
And in any case my answer is still no
I don't want to take part in this conversation anymore I can see it spiraling.

[Game Update] - 0mgw34r3s0d34d

Release Date: 30/04/2017 This is a hellfix release.

Update Information:

• Replaced Hammer with Old Bell (Keeps the old animation(Whacks building with a big af foot))
  • Replaced torch with Willow (Willow will not burn any player made buildings)
  • Made ImDaMisterL and minespatch playable characters

3 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Can someone explain why biiiiiiiiigfoot is just a bone with a brain attached?:wilson_shocked:

Because its one purpose was to follow the bell, we wouldn't want a giant griefer walking around mindlessly the whole time, would we?

It should be noted that if the bell were to be re-implemented into multiplayer, then there would have to be a way for the blueprint to be renewable (perhaps turn it into a tier-1 magic item?). If it were implemented as-is, the first player to mine the statue would gain the exclusive power to craft bells, forever. If that player leaves, the blueprint is lost, with no way of retrieval. 

Sorry if this had already been posted

3 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I mainly want this feature for when I play the game on a private server in a single-player fashion.

if you really want it that bad you can can add a mod into your server  that adds the bell back into the game that doesnt mean you have to push for it to be added into the main branch

29 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

if you really want it that bad you can can add a mod into your server  that adds the bell back into the game that doesnt mean you have to push for it to be added into the main branch

Please try to not use mods as a suggestion. Some people don't like using mods because they view it as cheating as stated by @Josonic if I am correct.

It feels much more fun (for a griefer) to use an old bell and spread chaos with it than with a simple torch. 

IF old bell were suddenly added and everybody could have access to the blueprint, I can easily imagine how it would look like. Glommer would never lives very long. Giant feet would rain all year long and nobody would build anything valuable. 

I changed my vote, I really don't think it'd be a good idea :/. Thank to @TheKingofSquirrels for convincing me.

Lol came back to the topic and it managed a circle back to points already discussed and debated. We need some new compelling points for why / why not. I'm still pretty sad that people are largely ignoring the Old Bell "variant" that was added to DST. I'm coming to the conclusion that the majority in this thread have yet to personally discover and play with it.

It was a much smarter addition to the game by the Devs and I wouldn't be surprised if it's why they don't look to add the Old Bell item itself to the core game.

11 minutes ago, Spaartan said:

Please try to not use mods as a suggestion. Some people don't like using mods because they view it as cheating as stated by @Josonic if I am correct.

That is part of the reason but the main reason for me is I can't even use mods because I'm a peasant console player.

2 minutes ago, Cheetos said:

Lol came back to the topic and it managed a circle back to points already discussed and debated. We need some new compelling points for why / why not. I'm still pretty sad that people are largely ignoring the Old Bell "variant" that was added to DST. I'm coming to the conclusion that the majority in this thread have yet to personally discover and play with it.

It was a much smarter addition to the game by the Devs and I wouldn't be surprised if it's why they don't look to add the Old Bell item itself to the core game.

I don't believe the ancient skeleton (I believe that's what it was called?) is released on PS4 yet but I could be wrong. How is it like old bell, I know nothing about it.

So the Old Bell is more difficult for a person to acquire.

Yet people think of the Old Bell is implemented it will just lead to griefing.

That makes no sense. If people want to grief, they can just use a hammer or torch. Why do people possibly think that it matters if a new method of griefing exists; when the game already allows players to grief just as well with two extremely simple tools any player can make after a day or two. You can grief using On Tentacles, The End is Nigh, Spider Nests, and christ knows what other things in this game. It all comes down to whether or not people choose to, adding something else that could be used to grief will make zero difference. Because if players want to do it, they will, because they already can. Using far more easy methods.

And the argument that a torch and hammer can be countered more easily is a joke. Most bases get burned before a Flingo exists, and most bases get burned when people do not have ice or are not around to see it. Same goes with a hammer. If griefing could be easily countered, the entire voting system debacle wouldn't have even been an issue.

This fantasy world people suddenly started living in where normal griefing can be countered with ease, and every body griefs as much as possible, and thus adding in some new possible method would destroy the balance. What. None of these things people claim are correct, they're talking like the current system is completely safe and secure. Oh really is it, which game are these people playing.

Only reason to add the old bell is so you can call your friends to tackle a giant foot and climb to the top. Might be a fun mechanic. Not to crush enemies but to get a better lay of the land. Imagine characters like Wolfgang and Wigfrid using equipment to throw spikes into the foot and climb its scales. IT'd be so cool~!Ariel shoujo weebie.png

If you can use a torch or a hammer to grief, doesn't mean this game needs another tool (Old Bell). Why do we need Old Bell that much anyway ? Like someone said in a post, we already have that Reanimated Skeleton which we can use him to farm trees for example ? What I have noticed, everyone make topics with polls and demand something to be put in the game without thinking ''Why do I want this to be implemented in the game ?'' Old Bell might not be 100% used as a griefing tool, but it will be a issue having it. We already have the hammer and the torch seen as griefing, why add another possibly griefing tool ? It's like giving the trolls a wide variety of tools just for them. In order to add something unique and maybe non-griefing, we instead want more griefing and after that we cry on the forums why did it happened. Sadly, my vote is ''No''.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

So I guess they would need to scale it's scales.

You unintentionally came up with a interesting addition to what good the biigfoot could be used for. The scales could be a alternative to scales giving more reason to scale farm.

There is no reason we need old bell in DST, it's just an OP boss killing item that can also 1 click demolish bases.

Griefing won't be the primary issue, but we don't need more easy ways to kill bosses.

9 hours ago, Cheetos said:

Does it currently not function and require an update?

If it doesn't, it will. 

And like someone else said, what about console players?

2 hours ago, Toros said:

There is no reason we need old bell in DST, it's just an OP boss killing item that can also 1 click demolish bases.

Have you seen the health of DST giants? It would take at least 4 uses (it currently has only 3) to kill the weakest giants.

2 hours ago, Mananu said:

We already have the hammer and the torch seen as griefing, why add another possibly griefing tool ? 

Because we shouldn't let fear govern us. Just because some players are grieffers and are asses, it shouldn't mean we should succumb to loosing cool elements of the game.

4 hours ago, The Curator said:

So the Old Bell is more difficult for a person to acquire.

Yet people think of the Old Bell is implemented it will just lead to griefing.

That makes no sense. If people want to grief, they can just use a hammer or torch. Why do people possibly think that it matters if a new method of griefing exists; when the game already allows players to grief just as well with two extremely simple tools any player can make after a day or two. You can grief using On Tentacles, The End is Nigh, Spider Nests, and christ knows what other things in this game. It all comes down to whether or not people choose to, adding something else that could be used to grief will make zero difference. Because if players want to do it, they will, because they already can. Using far more easy methods.

And the argument that a torch and hammer can be countered more easily is a joke. Most bases get burned before a Flingo exists, and most bases get burned when people do not have ice or are not around to see it. Same goes with a hammer. If griefing could be easily countered, the entire voting system debacle wouldn't have even been an issue.

This fantasy world people suddenly started living in where normal griefing can be countered with ease, and every body griefs as much as possible, and thus adding in some new possible method would destroy the balance. What. None of these things people claim are correct, they're talking like the current system is completely safe and secure. Oh really is it, which game are these people playing.

This! A 100 times this! Every word of this is exactly right. 

Archived