Sign in to follow this  
Artem

Unreachable grass?!

juliette    14

Oh yeah i noticed that too! If something is right on the cliff (grass, flower, tree, etc) you can't reach it. It's so weird hope they fix it.

LadyD    3,223

They are aware of this and its on the list of things to fix.

Alia    24

I finally had some time to look at this and put in a fix today - should come with the next major release. :)

Artem    27

I finally had some time to look at this and put in a fix today - should come with the next major release. :)

Finally! Woot! Thanks! :D

Starving    10

I just tried to pick up a flower and a sapling growing on the edge of the land, Beta 68284. I was unable to pick it up. I think the path-finder is trying to move the base of character to the base of the item before picking it up. The the same path finder determines the character will be in the water, so stops to look for a different path, and ends up in loop, until interrupted by the player. I can think of a few ways to fix this.1 -- determine the minimum distance between object base and border that the path finder needs, and test for this minimum distance during world creation, and reject items placed too close to borders. This approach would "fix" this for all new games started in new lands, but it would remain for all players who do not make a new land. Since you won't be altering the path finder, it would be less likely to accidentally add new bugs.2 -- have the path finder determine of the object is on a border, and then determine where to guide the character to in that special case. This will fix it for all players, new land or not. Since the border might exist on any surface of the object, and the player has the choice to approach that object from a very wide angle, this calculation seems complex, and might introduce other bugs.3 -- add additional self tests to the path finder. The path finder should know how far it's destination is. It seems like the path finder calculates a straight path to the target. Should any collision occur on route ( a tree, a pig-house, etc ) the path finder nudges the character to one side or another until the path is free, and then the character continues on a straight path again. The method works in general, although it can get a bit tied up trying to move among densely packed items. But no amount of nudging will move the character around a border like the seashore. If your collision detection could keep track of how far the character moves in a game tick then you can use that information test for other paths. Right now, when trying to pick a border item from say the seashore, the character approaches the object, and while movement stops, the moving animation doesn't stop. If the path finder were able to test for a change of position on the map over time, you'=ll be able to realize that the character hasn't actually moved over the two or three game ticks. Once that is determined, you can put in a "close enough" test. If the character isn't getting any closer, but the item is "close" -- go ahead, stop where you are, pick the item up. If the character is not getting closer, but not close enough, try to find a different path, like moving several positions at 30 or 45 (or 120) degrees to the current path, then re-evaluate the travel path.post-866-13764589321825_thumb.jpg

Toaster Fu    101

It's just that on don't starve nothing should be on the water. Can the butterfly come on land or is it stuck over the water?

Sign in to follow this