[Game Update] - (BETA) 211169

2 minutes ago, LePietatoLord said:

Bringing back the smell conversation, why do you guys think each character smells the Shadow Thurible differently?

Nightmares are subjective, just how Nightmare Fuel has no actual shape but the survivors can give it one by morphing it into equipment. But this is obviously a highly amateurish level of control seeing as the Fuelweaver confirms that the ancients had some form of established system for manipulating it.

The reason why They have independent shapes is because they all share a consistent source, they are not generated by the survivors but by the source of nightmares deep underground. It is also why the shadows can only attack insane survivors because insanity is closer to their element, and so outside of being near the source of nightmares they need mediums to interact with the world. Which is a consistent theme that They have a very selective spectrum of influence which obeys rules.

The Shadow Thurible is potentially just nightmare fuel, being burned. It has no specific conduit or source for its properties to be founded off of; and so it only acquires them when a subjective medium is in proximity. Like the survivors.

Have you ever noticed that the poofing animation is near identical to Lucy changing back into a regular axe when Woodie either leaves a server, or "makes a new Lucy"? What do you think it means for ol' Woods, eh? Maybe he was cursed by Charlie, because of his obsession with chopping trees. 

Also, to answer why the Shadow Thurible smells the way it does can be summed up with one simple photo. :3

VLzjGNi.png

Er, I dunno, maybe this one makes more sense. 

327662ee86c8f2193386442dfc26ffd29094b0eb

• Like 1

Just now, watermelen671 said:

Have you ever noticed that the poofing animation is near identical to Lucy changing back into a regular axe when Woodie either leaves a server, or "makes a new Lucy"? What do you think it means for ol' Woods, eh? Maybe he was cursed by Charlie, because of his obsession with chopping trees. 

Also, to answer why the Shadow Thurible smells the way it does can be summed up with one simple photo. :3

VLzjGNi.png

Er, I dunno, maybe this one makes more sense. 

327662ee86c8f2193386442dfc26ffd29094b0eb

you saw this on the meme topic page, obviously ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LePietatoLord said:

nah, I think Charlie or the shadows are just disapointed in him and just take him back because he sucks with his battling SKILLZ

STALKER_ATRIUM_DEATHCRY

"You are not Them..."

This, plus the vines being like thorny. Rose vines. Definitely Charlie.

~~~~

Also on a side note...

Spoiler

There is a horrifying sound I don't recognize from before. It sounds like distorted talking, kind of like the insane ambiance (pretty sure it's different), and it just so happens to come after one the stalker's sounds.

Edited by Zeklo
  • Like 5

Interesting thing about the ending lines from the Shadow weaver, apparently a *different* shadow took them. We know that "Them," the shadows that control the nightmare throne/maxwell, and the shadows that the throne bearer uses are two different energies. Shot in the dark but maybe "Them," the overall shadows (The people who sold William Carter his magic supplies, the causers of the San Francisco Earthquake, the controllers of the nightmare throne) were about to use the portal to do something, and those are the people the weaver is afraid of. However, after the Shadow Weaver is killed, their energy doesn't go into the portal, some shadow tentacles pull the Shadow Weaver away. My guess is Charlie is the person who took the Shadow Weaver away, to use it for some sort of magic, and left a rose to show us she did it, and that's why the portal didn't fully open. 

"Fools!"
        "Who are you?"
        "Release me, shade!"
        "You are not Them..."
        "Are you so easily deceived? Ha..."
        "You deserve this.",
        "You've made your choice."

We're all just pawns being used by Charlie to do her dirty work in the Atrium, and now the Weaver is a pawn too.

Fun tip though, the Atrium is the word for "heart," close to the name of an ancient Greek king, and also the main room of a roman country home. If we ever get into a word puzzle just looks for this based on "Atreu," roman homes or the concept of the heart of Rome. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, LePietatoLord said:

Bringing back the smell conversation, why do you guys think each character smells the Shadow Thurible differently?

Max brought most people into the world with promises, in a similar way to him being dragged through the book after using it to become The Great.
It could be that the Fuel/Them was the real source of his behavior, and the fuel's general nature, particularly given Max's steadily improving personality since his dethroning
It preys on people/draws them in using whatever their strongest desire is. In Max's case, maybe he actually feels a bit bad about the whole 'turned his assistant into a shadow demon' thing and wants to do something to remedy that? At the least, he's thinking about Charlie.

...more generally, rather than simple desire, it could be said that they latch onto a person's emotions, or even imagination.
A survivor wants to make a powerful armor. Early on they might associate Nightmare Fuel with Maxwell (specifically Wilson). The resulting armor shaped from the Fuel looks a bit like his suit.
Similar case with the sword. "All I can make is spears. Imagine if I had a sword!" And the Fuel takes the shape of one.
...ancients want to do literally everything with Fuel.
They use it on everything.
It becomes everything.
Eventually, the power even consumes them. Because what can't the Fuel improve?

Most obvious example of course is with the living shadows. Survivor becomes insane, paranoid of the world around them, constantly thinking something is going to jump out and attack...the shadows indulge their guest's silly idea. They might only be nightmarish because the people around them have nightmares in the first place.

I really like exposition

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Escaped said:

Interesting thing about the ending lines from the Shadow weaver, apparently a *different* shadow took them. We know that "Them," the shadows that control the nightmare throne/maxwell, and the shadows that the throne bearer uses are two different energies. Shot in the dark but maybe "Them," the overall shadows (The people who sold William Carter his magic supplies, the causers of the San Francisco Earthquake, the controllers of the nightmare throne) were about to use the portal to do something, and those are the people the weaver is afraid of. However, after the Shadow Weaver is killed, their energy doesn't go into the portal, some shadow tentacles pull the Shadow Weaver away. My guess is Charlie is the person who took the Shadow Weaver away, to use it for some sort of magic, and left a rose to show us she did it, and that's why the portal didn't fully open. 

"Fools!"
        "Who are you?"
        "Release me, shade!"
        "You are not Them..."
        "Are you so easily deceived? Ha..."
        "You deserve this.",
        "You've made your choice."

We're all just pawns being used by Charlie to do her dirty work in the Atrium, and now the Weaver is a pawn too.

Fun tip though, the Atrium is the word for "heart," close to the name of an ancient Greek king, and also the main room of a roman country home. If we ever get into a word puzzle just looks for this based on "Atreu," roman homes or the concept of the heart of Rome. 

One thing though, even Charlie is a pawn for the Shadows. Maxwell has talked about how he was being used, and how even the king is bound to the board.

Just now, LePietatoLord said:

you saw this on the meme topic page, obviously ;)

Shhh.... our lord and saviour @nome will answer all our questions, we just need to leave a potato cup full of potato cups in his image in order to achieve those answers. (Think you could make an image of that? Like a photo of a hooded figure dropping off a basket, then @nome opening the door to find a potato cup basket and inside the basket is potato nome with the white blouse. Post it on teh dank mehmeys topic if you do. X3)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pyr0mrcow said:

Because what can't the Fuel improve?

Aight, that's a good point. I strongly believe that the shadows are a transformed form of the ancients, as shown by the shadows similarities to the statues. I think the statues are how the Ancients looked, and the fuel just made them stronger but with the same kind of looks, ( other than being all shadowy and stuff).

Edited by LePietatoLord
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, LePietatoLord said:

Aight, that's a good point. I strongly believe that the shadows are a transformed form of the ancients, as shown by the shadows similarities to the statues. I think the statues are how the Ancients looked, and the fuel just made them stronger but with the same kind of looks, ( other than being all shadowy and stuff).

To be fair I'm not sure if we were ever told directly that the fossils are skeletons of the ancients. When Maxwell examines the weird horned skeleton he says "I'd be the laughing stalk of the demon making community." Maybe the Shadow Weaver is just a really strong demon the ancients would summon to help them handle making things from fuel, and the ancients really are just the weird bug people we see in all the statues. If they had things like the Shadow Thurible to guide the demon, I think it's entirely plausible they used them like slaves to build the city. 

• Like 6

I think Charlie is using the survivors as pawns, either to free her from Their influence, or to destroy the only real threat to her. If Charlie created the suspicious marble statues, then she probably wanted the players to get the shadow atrium and revive the Fuelweaver. I think she needed to have the players weaken him before finishing him off, not out of her own benevolence, but because he's too powerful for her to kill outright (he clearly has great power over the shadows. Potentially more so than Maxwell or even Charlie). It may seem like she's trying to help the players by killing him, but I wouldn't say she's being all that altruistic considering she was the one who led us to the atrium and the Weaver sounds like he's trying to protect us. Maybe she just wants to get him to activate the portal so that she can draw power from the shadows that come through...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Tosh said:

I think Charlie is using the survivors as pawns, either to free her from Their influence, or to destroy the only real threat to her. If Charlie created the suspicious marble statues, then she probably wanted the players to get the shadow atrium and revive the Fuelweaver. I think she needed to have the players weaken him before finishing him off, not out of her own benevolence, but because he's too powerful for her to kill outright (he clearly has great power over the shadows. Potentially more so than Maxwell or even Charlie). It may seem like she's trying to help the players by killing him, but I wouldn't say she's being all that altruistic considering she was the one who led us to the atrium and the Weaver sounds like he's trying to protect us. Maybe she just wants to get him to activate the portal so that she can draw power from the shadows that come through...

To be honest, I think that Charlie is still trying to help us in many ways. Not sure if this was a glitch or not, but I've found random food laying around the entire world. This could be Charlie trying to help us survive. I'm starting to think that Charlie wants to free all of the other survivors, but keep Maxwell because of her hatred towards him for causing this.

• Like 2

I thought this before, but even moreso with the ones in the atrium...
I can't help but notice quite a bit of similarity between those statues and the Knight Shadow Piece.
They also all seem to share short legs, along with the Reanimated Skeleton.
...the Shadow Atrium being used to revive the Reanimated Skeleton and the possible connection between the Skeleton, Shadows and Ancients suddenly seems a lot less random.

Edited by Pyr0mrcow
Full circle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pyr0mrcow said:

I thought this before, but even moreso with the ones in the atrium...
I can't help but notice quite a bit of similarity between those statues and the Knight Shadow Piece.
They also all seem to share short legs, along with the Reanimated Skeleton.
...the Shadow Atrium being used to revive the Reanimated Skeleton and the possible connection between the Skeleton, Shadows and Ancients suddenly seems a lot less random.

Don't also forget how the small statues in the normal Ruins have bug like features, and look similar to the shadows. The Head Statue looks a bit similar to Mr Skittish. Also, the mage statue looks like the Terrorbeak, but with a normal head and such.

• Like 4