Can someone please explain the purpose of this DLC? Its just a total random plain dumb luck simulator

Original DS is dependent on Beefalo. From my experience about 1-2 precentage of the worlds generated are playable. The rest are stinking ****. If you dont find beefalo in the first three days you are dead.

But this DLC? Its just insanely stupid. I recreated worlds about 100 times. Every single time I end up with **** worlds and die within the first 10 days. The first ten worlds I didnt find spiders within the first 10 days. I didnt find gold so I couldn't build science machine. Within a few days you are totaly drained of sanity and I have found a total of FIVE flowers in my recent play throughs. In my current game I havent been able to make a light source in the past days because there is NOTHING to burn.

So basically this DLC is just a completely random dumb luck simulator. It doesnt require skill, you just need to be lucky enough to generate the "right" world. Exactly what is the point of this DLC? Its boring in the same ways as board games like settler of catan which is just about random luck and no skill.

Im really disappointed in Klei :( 

Although I agree with needing to have a bit of luck on SW worlds, I'd say it's unfair to say that the game's dependent on simple luck. There are many more ways you could live more than 3 days without beefalo. You just need to be creative. Berry bushes for example can be used to keep you alive until winter hits, and when winter hits, you could go for some tallbirds. Sure, beefalo are a good source of food, but you (I, anyways) can't always rely on them. I'm too tired to think of other good examples of this, but surely there are many, many more.

1 hour ago, KiwiSailor said:

Original DS is dependent on Beefalo. From my experience about 1-2 precentage of the worlds generated are playable. The rest are stinking ****. If you dont find beefalo in the first three days you are dead.

U wot m8? What is so great in beefalo?

Every single time I end up with **** worlds and die within the first 10 days.

How can you tell if world is good or bad after 10 first days? Okay, actually you can if you explore a lot of it, but you clearly don't since you haven't even found gold during this period of time.

Within a few days you are totaly drained of sanity and I have found a total of FIVE flowers in my recent play throughs.

It's really unlikely to happen, but okay, let's say you got unlucky. Why do you need flowers so much? They are nice source of early game food and healing since they spawn butterflies, that's right. But besides that they are useless in early days, their only use is to pick them up to get 5 sanity and then eat them or ditch them. Shipwrecked has flowers and it also has seashells. Picking them up gives sanity, too.

So basically this DLC is just a completely random dumb luck simulator. It doesnt require skill, you just need to be lucky enough to generate the "right" world.

What? Let's compare it to RoG. In RoG you sometimes can get:

• reed trap setpiece,
  • tallfort setpiece,
  • pigtorches with berries/grass setpieces
  • houndfort setpiece
  • either 1 walrus (unlucky) camp or 4 walrus camps (lucky)
  • and more

In Shipwrecked on the other hand you can get:

• volcano staff trap that boosts progress a lil' bit since it lets you create obisidian fire pit early on
  • that's all. Can't really think of anything else.

As you can see, RoG/Vanilla worlds have much larger variety, and they can be either good or not so good. You need to be lucky to get good world. I'm not saying that there are bad worlds. Every world is easy to conquer if you are a decent player.
 Shipwrecked doesn't have any game changing luck-based setpieces, that improve your gameplay. Even 4 steamer trunks always contain the same loot on all worlds. All SW worlds are more comparable to each other than RoG worlds. Gimmick of SW is that exploring takes longer because of sailing. But it's not a big problem. Food in shipwrecked is easy to get. You have almost all foods from Vanilla/RoG + you have seaweed, limpets, bananas.
 Something about your playstyle is really wrong or you just don't try at all and expect to get everything without a single effort. It's bad.

2 hours ago, KiwiSailor said:

Lol, what do you need a buffalo for? You must be doing something wrong.

But this DLC? Its just insanely stupid. I recreated worlds about 100 times. Every single time I end up with **** worlds and die within the first 10 days. The first ten worlds I didnt find spiders within the first 10 days. I didnt find gold so I couldn't build science machine. Within a few days you are totaly drained of sanity and I have found a total of FIVE flowers in my recent play throughs. In my current game I havent been able to make a light source in the past days because there is NOTHING to burn.

I played Shipwrecked many times and what you are describing is just not true! I never, ever had such problems - except gold problems - but this was in early beta and was fixed a log time ago. So once again - you must be doing something wrong.

So basically this DLC is just a completely random dumb luck simulator. It doesnt require skill, you just need to be lucky enough to generate the "right" world.

Not true once again... And judging from what you wrote above --> your skill is probably what is lacking...

I don't think vanilla ds is dependent on beefalo at all unless you try to survive on mostly farms. The key to not starving is a spider den for monster meat (plus traps if you don't want to fight spiders), a bird cage and a bird trap to get the bird. Meatballs for days. It's way better than trapping rabbits for morsels which don't provide much hunger. One morsel and 3 berries still makes meatballs too but you can't depend on farms or berries during winter.

I agree that SW is much harder to get gold so you can get a science machine started but like vanilla, you need to start exploring as much as you can, not just look for gold boulders but dig up those magma piles for gold. Hopefully you find the seaworthy and link the SW to Vanilla or ROG so you can get gold, tree farm for boards, rope, stingers way easier.

As for sanity, it's not only flowers. You should pick up seashells for sanity. Cooked green mushrooms are huge sanity boost. If you find a beehive, consider killing them and destroy the nest to make a bee box so you can make taffy for sanity. You can fight spiders if you find them and get enough silk for a top hat. Sand castle but it only lasts a day but +25 sanity per min is good. Consider a bed roll if you have the hunger. All of these are still early game strats for sanity.

11 hours ago, Ispin69 said:

Hopefully you find the seaworthy and link the SW to Vanilla or ROG so you can get gold, tree farm for boards, rope, stingers way easier

Or you can start in RoG, get stuff and jump into the SW world, That's what I did, it's like SW+.
Just prototype some crap, prepare stuff you are going to take with you. Get cane and tam o' shanter, wait for Deerclops, kill it for Eyebrella. Done, now you can go to SW and have fun!

If you need meat, you kill spiders and convert the meat with a bird cage. If you need poop, monkeys will fling it while you dodge it after attacking. Pigs also produce it by eating vegan items. Water beefalo are also somewhat common in the world.

Shipwrecked encourages you to explore more, instead of sticking around your base the entire game. Explore enough, find a good island, and set up base, then explore more!

Shipwrecked and RoG don't share playstyles that much. I learned early on that my usual base-styled gameplay wasn't going to cut it on the small islands. Once I stopped being paranoid about sinking, I got out there and started finding all sorts of things. Even found a volcano about 10 large screens away. Point is, the DLC gets much easier if you simply change your usual playstyle.

On 12/3/2017 at 1:29 PM, KiwiSailor said:

Excuse me? Im on day 756 and i have never touched my Beefalos at all unless i need to make some carpeted flooring to pimp out my base.

4 hours ago, SandvichSpy said:

Excuse me? Im on day 756 and i have never touched my Beefalos at all unless i need to make some carpeted flooring to pimp out my base.

Goodness, I can imagine your fps on savannah then.

Lack of gold near the beginning and not enough flint or boulders to mine at the beginning island is a problem that Klei needs to address. This is like that bug where in normal DS/RoG, cave entrance is a small island, blocked away from everything else, just this time worse as you have nothing to return to or plan ahead; you're stuck at the beginning.

After ANR, unless they start doing doing so without the complaints, I, and probably many others, will come around with a list of things that need fixing and changing because unplayability or simple annoyance of various things destroys the game's experience.

Archived