[Game Update] - Heart of the Ruins (BETA 207966)

1 minute ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Well... crud. I'm excited that the ruins now regenerate, but I've already smashed every ornate chest I came across. This hurts so badly...

c_spawn()

Chests aren't meant to be hammered. It's like hammering pig houses.

Edited by Electroely

24 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I have been left with two thoughts after all this:

Reveal hidden contents

gA1K41F.png

Are these really statues. Or the bodies the ancients left behind? Just what is thulecite?

Hide contents

If the ancients underwent some "sort of thing", presumably becoming shadow monsters. (or are they even becoming shadows, or being used to like "hatch" them or something) Has Charlie undergone something similar? Just why, does Maxwell say:  "I know why you led me back here." "But it won't work." Does she want Maxwell to undergo it?

It seems like some answers are being given, but in it's place more questions!?!?!

I thought this initial update would sate my hype, but all it has done is amplify it!

Oh my god the isopods shells were turned into thulecite from the fuel and used it to make a giant civilization, but somehow overused the fuel they had and killed themselves off, turning them into nightmare fuel. And that dead civilization haunts us throughout the entire game. Is this how *they* make the energy? 

Seriously though Maxwell literally says "Such a fine material" when you inspect those statues it's the creepiest thing. 

Either Charlie wants her shadow half removed or her shadow half wants the rest of her body turned into fuel so one of the two has total control.

I really hope we get some cinematic on this. 

Edited by Escaped
  • Like 3

Wow the writers are really pushing the H.P. Lovecraft's "Shadow Over Insmouth," inspiration when it comes to the ancient civilization lore. I kind of assumed that was the direction they were going with before hand. However it seems to be closer to that premise with this update. Now I am wondering even if it's Charlie we will really be facing in the end, or some other eldritch creature (that has taken over her body).

Edited by Sindex
  • Like 3

Hmm...if thulecite is PEOPLE...

_Magicite_, guys!  MA.  GI.  CITE!  From Final Fantasy 6!  The Espers!  Not that I'm saying this is _taken_ from there; just that it's about the same level of creepiness.  "You don't mind if I fuel my magic skill-learning with the bodies of your dead family do you?" ZOT.

As for what The Ancients did or did not used to look like...I dunno...maybe they just naturally _were_ bug people. I mean, think how many other anthropomorphic (animal here) creatures with something at least approaching a civilization there are, in this game.  With pigmen, bunnymen AND fish/frogmen, is it that strange we'd have bugmen?  (and women)  I kind of like to think they're always looked weird and alien, and that's okay.  It's when they got corrupted with EVIL that was the problem...

And when Maxwell says "I know why you lured me down here.  It's not going to work"...my personal thought is that has NOTHING to do with Charlie.  It's Them.  Again.  They're independent from her, not completely under her control, like she may have thought, and are trying to do...something.  Get more power?  Resurrect the ancient civilization, complete with epic crumbling and earthquakes as twisted black spires that hurt the very _mind_ to look upon STAB forth from the ground, clawing up above the adventurers into a city of grand, horrible, malevolent beauty?  Or "simply" try to turn Charlie into the puppet they want her to be, like Maxwell was...

i think _something_...someBODY, as in, an intelligence (or more than one) had some kind of a _goal_ with the Ancients.  They saw in them the potential to build?  resurrect?  activate?  SOMEthing, so some brain deliberately gave them the fuel and encouraged them to use it.  But, they managed to kill themselves off due to the fuel's dangerous nature--or maybe one heroic/desperate Ancient wiped out his/her own people on purpose, to try and save the world!--before that goal could be finished.

Now, they're back. To finish. The job.

(Inception noise)

Also, nice (fourth-wall-breaking?) touch on the ancient portal thingie looking like it's covered with police tape.  HA...

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica
  • Like 6

So currently you can put any mineral, it seems, into the atrium gateway and it becomes a key. I'm assuming this is part of the whole incomplete business.

Spoiler

On a side note, the ruins activate when the key is inserted.

Where this gateway leads seems to be the source of the power here...

Woodie also states: 

ATRIUM_KEY = "Got it from that big bony hoser.",

So it would seem that the stalker will end up dropping this at a later date.

So it would seem.

• Like 2

Note - since you can pick where and when to spawn it, you can exploit the Stalker pretty easily by spawning two at once.  Just get one of them to attack the other, and since they're evenly matched whoever wins will only have a few hitpoints left. 

26 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

So currently you can put any mineral, it seems, into the atrium gateway and it becomes a key. I'm assuming this is part of the whole incomplete business.

Actually, you can put in almost anything you want into it right now. I got a good laugh out of it when I thought it'd be amusing to give it some Ice Cream. Then, the Ice Cream was somehow turned into a key.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, TheKingDedede said:

Actually, you can put in almost anything you want into it right now. I got a good laugh out of it when I thought it'd be amusing to give it some Ice Cream. Then, the Ice Cream was somehow turned into a key.

Give it a potato cup. Only a potato cup shall do.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to do that I guess. Don't really want to though. The fun part is gonna be running through the labyrinth again and trying to remember where they were originally.

Maybe a modder could give you a better command to spawn them at random or something. So you have them back and you have the surprise.

So I wonder if this means that the goal isn't initially to fight Charlie but rescue her from Their influence. It could be that Their tact in turning Charlie into a compliant puppet is to manipulate her. Whisper in her ear and add more fuel to an already burning anger towards Maxwell. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GDK7 said:

dstboss.png

20170222-Stalker in the ruins.pngSo my drawing wasn't off. Wasn't sure about the profile. Looks interesting.

2 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

This Atrium Gate maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan...

2 hours ago, Instant-Noodles said:

Ancient Keyatrium_key.gif

um.pngThe top of the key looks like a lion. Could be a reference to the antlion?

There seems to be a lot of importance to the antlion, especially with how insect like the civilians of the ruins were. With the tributes, could this mean that the antlion was considered a diety?
No, this is not because my first name is Ariel(lion of god).ariel ID face.png

3 hours ago, Zeklo said:

LINE_1 = "It depicts an old civilization. The people look hungry and scared.",
            LINE_2 = "This tablet is too worn to make out.",
            LINE_3 = "Something dark creeps over the city and its people.",
            LINE_4 = "The people are shedding their skins. They look different underneath.",
            LINE_5 = "It shows a massive, technologically advanced city.",

LINE_1 = "A picture of the city, before the fuel.",
            LINE_2 = "We all know what happens next.",
            LINE_3 = "They gained such an enviable power...",

1 hour ago, Zeklo said:

Actually. I don't think they were normal people. Here's Webber's:

ATRIUM_RUBBLE = LINE_1 = "It's a picture of some bug people.",
            LINE_3 = "There's a lot of black goop in this picture.",
            LINE_4 = "A picture of bug people escaping their bug outsides!",

Ancient Statue (Normal / Night)

atrium_statuefullnight.gifatrium_statuefull.gif

latest?cb=20130827135329latest?cb=20130827134021latest?cb=20130827133807

antlion_sleep.gif

ariel kitty reaction.pngDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAw~! Look at da sleepy baby~!

1 minute ago, Quoth143 said:

So I wonder if this means that the goal isn't initially to fight Charlie but rescue her from Their influence. It could be that Their tact in turning Charlie into a compliant puppet is to manipulate her. Whisper in her ear and add more fuel to an already burning anger towards Maxwell. 

3 hours ago, Zeklo said:

LINE_4 = "I know why you led me back here.",
            LINE_5 = "But it won't work.",

Now I can't tell if they're still shipteasing(like the eggnog) or this is just manipulative on both ends of the MAxlie spectrum. Damn, it's like watching a soap opera co-written by H. P. Lovecraft and H. R. Giger.

• Like 5

I can't wait too see all the new cool stuff the Ruins got. Tonight is the night.

Anyway i like the fact that you can kill AntLion now, that is huge and the fight is kind cool and easy. Thanks a lot for that.

Let the Game Begin!

• Like 3