Creating/Using Translation Files [Updated August 22nd, 2017]

In QoL II they change description of "Water Geyser" from emitting Steam to Water.

#. STRINGS.CREATURES.SPECIES.GEYSER.HOT_WATER.DESC

I do not have any Water Geyser in my current game. Can anyone help me confirm that the above description is true in QoL II?

Edited by Ozcuraz
swap element. sry.

Hello, I am almost closing Polish translation, since current ones on steam are highly unacceptable.
And since I started half a year ago - just doing this every once in a while - I was still working with <link="***"> so now just proofing it will take me another day or two and then I still have another 20% to do or so

Edited by Worek
reading through entire thread

There goes full polish, pop culture accurate translation. Good for checking for any misspelling and style problems. I'm also throwing it to steam workshop - friend only for some "free" testing ;)

Poszukuję nieścisłości oraz literówek, jeśli ktoś jest zainteresowany sprawdzaniem. Mam nadzieję, że lepsze niż to, które można znaleźć na steam workshop.

strings_pl2.mo

strings_pl2.po

11 hours ago, Worek said:

pop culture accurate translation.

I wouldn't call it like this. Some things you translated in a way that no one really speaks. For example this:

msgid "Mark this object for compost"
msgstr "Oznacz ten przedmiot, aby został odniesiony na pryzmę"

Pryzma?! No one would use that word in a pop culture.

Or:

msgid "Rummage"
msgstr "Przeryj"

This doesn't fit at all.

Same like calling power consumers as "odbiornik". Only power consumer that would fit this word is a TV, but those are not included in the game ;)

I think you mean "odbiorca".

On 06/03/2019 at 1:16 PM, Angpaur said:

I wouldn't call it like this. Some things you translated in a way that no one really speaks. For example this:

msgid "Mark this object for compost"
msgstr "Oznacz ten przedmiot, aby został odniesiony na pryzmę"

Pryzma?! No one would use that word in pop culture. 

Thanks for feedback. Well the misinterpretation about translation being pop culture accurate goes to the puns and jokes not being translatable. 

All the work Klei put in keeping rest of it as straightforward and scientific as possible is absolutely praiseworthy. Even though average gamer these days won't recognise quite a few words used in the game. And this is the format I tried to keep. So do not expect all the descriptions to be swag&yolo, rather expect wording that will easily take you to scientific articles and professional explanations. 

Also the other pointed word is correct. Since 'odbiornik' is a receiver and every single electricians guidebook will refer to any and every electrical appliance as a 'odbiornik'. That being said, a TV is simply receiver of radio waves so it is still a 'odbiornik', just different kind. And the word 'odbiorca' refers to a person so could not be used in mentioned instance. Which also makes the TV as both the electrical current receiver and radio waves receiver. 'odbiornik pradu elektrycznego oraz odbiornik fal radiowych'. 

As for the word Rummage it gets tricky as in polish 'messy going through stuff' doesn't have a straight translation. We can 'przeryc something in search of something'. That was the best one I thought of and would be really happy to get a better word, as I myself find it lacking. 

Thanks a lot, wish I will get some more suggestions in the near future too. Do bear in mind this is work of a single chemistry engineer. 

Cheers, 

Worek 

• Developer

For those translators out there looking to get a jump on the next release, please note that translation files (.po and .pot) have been moved from StreamingAssets/Mods to StreamingAssets/Strings. This is the case in the Test Branch and will be made public on the next release.

• Thanks 5

There are a lot of empty strings in the template file. merge tools such as msgmerge don't know how to treat them. Can the obsolete ones be cleaned please?

STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.FACILITYBACKWALLWINDOW.DESC
STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.LOGICMEMORY.RESET_PORT_INACTIVE
STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.LOGICMEMORY.SET_PORT_INACTIVE
STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.MASSIVEHEATSINK.DESC
STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.POIBUNKEREXTERIORDOOR.DESC
STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.POIDOORINTERNAL.DESC
STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.POIFACILITYDOOR.DESC
STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.TILEPOI.DESC
STRINGS.CODEX.A0_PROPFACILITYDISPLAY3.BODY.CONTAINER1
STRINGS.CODEX.BUDDYBUD.BODY.CONTAINER1
STRINGS.CODEX.HEADQUARTERS.BODY.CONTAINER2
STRINGS.CODEX.JUMPINGJOYA.BODY.CONTAINER1
STRINGS.CODEX.MEALWOOD.BODY.CONTAINER1
STRINGS.CODEX.MEALWOOD.BODY.CONTAINER2
STRINGS.CODEX.MIRTHLEAF.BODY.CONTAINER1
STRINGS.CODEX.PAGENOTFOUND.BODY
STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.ATTRIBUTES.BLADDERDELTA.DESC
STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.ATTRIBUTES.CALORIESDELTA.DESC
STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.ATTRIBUTES.HAPPINESS.DESC
STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.ATTRIBUTES.IMMUNELEVELDELTA.DESC
STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.ATTRIBUTES.INCUBATIONDELTA.DESC
STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.ATTRIBUTES.STAMINADELTA.DESC
STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.ATTRIBUTES.TOXICITYDELTA.DESC
STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.ATTRIBUTES.VIABILITYDELTA.DESC
STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.CHORES.RECOVERBREATH.TOOLTIP
STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.CONGENITALTRAITS.BANHI.DESC
STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.CONGENITALTRAITS.BANHI.NAME
STRINGS.ELEMENTS.AEROGEL.DESC
STRINGS.ELEMENTS.SANDCEMENT.DESC
STRINGS.ELEMENTS.SOLIDCRUDEOIL.DESC
STRINGS.EQUIPMENT.PREFABS.OXYGEN_TANK.DESC
STRINGS.EQUIPMENT.PREFABS.OXYGEN_TANK_UNDERWATER.DESC
STRINGS.LORE.BUILDINGS.SET_LOCKER1.HEADER
STRINGS.LORE.BUILDINGS.SET_LOCKER2.HEADER
STRINGS.MISC.NOTIFICATIONS.GASCLOUDARRIVING.TOOLTIP
STRINGS.MISC.NOTIFICATIONS.GASCLOUDDEPARTING.TOOLTIP
STRINGS.MISC.NOTIFICATIONS.GASCLOUDGONE.TOOLTIP
STRINGS.MISC.NOTIFICATIONS.GASCLOUDPEAK.TOOLTIP
STRINGS.MISC.NOTIFICATIONS.NOALERTS.NAME
STRINGS.MISC.NOTIFICATIONS.NOALERTS.TOOLTIP
STRINGS.MISC.NOTIFICATIONS.NOMESSAGES.NAME
STRINGS.MISC.NOTIFICATIONS.NOMESSAGES.TOOLTIP
STRINGS.UI.DEBUG_TOOLS.ENTER_TEXT
STRINGS.UI.DEMOOVERSCREEN.DESCRIPTION_2
STRINGS.UI.ENDOFDAYREPORT.ENERGY_WASTED.POSITIVE_TOOLTIP
STRINGS.UI.NEWBUILDCATEGORIES.*.TOOLTIP
STRINGS.UI.PRIORITYSCREEN.HIGH
STRINGS.UI.PRIORITYSCREEN.HIGH_TOGGLE
STRINGS.UI.TOOLTIPS.PRIORITIZEMAINBUTTON
STRINGS.UI.WORLDGEN.NOHEADERS

Edited by krop

On 23.04.2019 at 9:02 PM, krop said:

There are a lot of empty strings in the template file. merge tools such as msgmerge don't know how to treat them. Can the obsolete ones be cleaned please?

I second this. It feels pointless to have them.

By the way, new font support (without mods) would be great. I'd love to give my translation the original font. This is just an idea though.

• Like 2

I am having problem translating the game to Arabic language. This is upsetting me a lot as it is hard for me and my brother Arabic Native Speaking to play or understand the game unless it is translated or you have fine well English language. 

Arabic words are consist of letter connected to each other (previous letter and next letter) -most of the time-. in the game, after generating world. all Arabic words' letters are separated from each other making it impossible/very hard for anyone to read words that way. the strange/good thing that in the main menu, some Arabic words are shown correctly as they should be. I took snapshot of the main menu I added explanation on the photo to recognize which ones the correct ones which is not...  

I am happy to discuss in possible outcome can be done to make this possible and playable in my language. if you want to contact me directly. email me on mr.3ewa@gmail.com

I am sitting on my toes until this is solve.

Untitled.png

Hey translators,

I'm trying to find translations for the new creatures / plant names from the last update but finding what the devs had in mind is not easy this time.

• pokeshell

shell + ?  pocket? pokemon?

• dasha saltvine

No idea what dasha refers to. I saw dasha mentioned in a urban language dictionary but it doesn't match.

• nosh bean

what's nosh supposed to be here? it's fine when the string is about food but it looks curious when it's about the plant itself.

(pip is commonly used for squirrels in literature, I'll probably keep it like that)

• Like 1

On 08/07/2019 at 8:48 AM, krop said:

Hey translators,

I'm trying to find translations for the new creatures / plant names from the last update but finding what the devs had in mind is not easy this time.

• pokeshell

shell + ?  pocket? pokemon?

• dasha saltvine

No idea what dasha refers to. I saw dasha mentioned in a urban language dictionary but it doesn't match.

• nosh bean

what's nosh supposed to be here? it's fine when the string is about food but it looks curious when it's about the plant itself.

(pip is commonly used for squirrels in literature, I'll probably keep it like that)

For pokeshell, I separated both names (poke+shell) and translated only the last name (Pokecasco). For Dasha saltvine, I ignored "dasha" and just translated saltvine (Vinha Saleiro). Nosh I think it's related to food or being hungry, not so sure about that, but I've translated both names

• Thanks 1

Hey, some new strings in yesterday's patch are bothering me:

Each task a Duplicant can perform falls into an Errand Category

If two tasks with equal Errand Type Priority are available to a Duplicant, they will choose the task with a higher Priority

I'm wondering: do you use different words for task and errand ?

Until now I always considered they are synonyms, which is convenient since the translation in my language is the same for both terms. I can find another one for errand but I'd like to know what other translators do.

Edited by krop

Hey guys, I have strange problem - I translate some strings, but they are not shown in game.

Example - I translated strings related to wordl generation, like 'Volcanea", "Geoactive' and so on, but when I run the game - these strings are shown in english, instead of my language.

What could go wrong in this scenario, and how can I solve this problem?

On 27/07/2019 at 8:47 AM, Ozcuraz said:

How do you translate "Sporechid"? A Spore-kid? or some kind of Orchid?

the translation for both 'spore' and 'orchid' is close in my language (spore + orchidée), that gave a 'sporchidée'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/07/2019 at 10:35 AM, DarkDeny said:

Hey guys, I have strange problem - I translate some strings, but they are not shown in game.

Example - I translated strings related to wordl generation, like 'Volcanea", "Geoactive' and so on, but when I run the game - these strings are shown in english, instead of my language.

What could go wrong in this scenario, and how can I solve this problem?

There's a longstanding caching bug that was never addressed.

What we used to recommend to our translation users before the mod system:

- Check the steam cache
- start game, select english, restart, select your language again
- uninstall your translation mod, delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\xxxxxx\ugc\referenced\<your mod_id> folder (or move it elsewhere) then restart the game and select your mod again in the translations menu

The easiest way remains to unsubscribe / subscribe again on the steam workshop.

With the new mod system, maybe deleting the mods/Steam/<your mod_id> folder in your settings folder could help

Edited by krop
  • Like 1

The results are catastrophic with the release. (well, once again)

Most players I saw streaming ONI were using an older version of the language mod. We also have reports on the mod 'comments' section on Steam.

For the next mod updates, I'll add the mod version to the STRINGS.UI.DEVELOPMENTBUILDS.WATERMARK string to be sure the issue our users are facing come from the update mechanism and not from one of the unresolved string issues.

Edited by krop
  • Like 1

After testing with 2 players and discussing with another modder, the issue is that:

Steam downloads the mod update and saves it in userdata/<steam user ID>/ugc/referenced/<some random ID>/

But, the content isn't uncompressed in the player mods/Steam/<mod ID>/ folder

Deleting the steam cache doesn't help, unsub/resubscribe to the mod doesn't help, switching to english then back to the mod language doesn't help.

The underlying issue is the mod files not being replaced by the updated ones.

• Thanks 2