Creating/Using Translation Files [Updated August 22nd, 2017]

16 hours ago, Cheerio said:

Attached is the latest strings_template.pot file for those of you anyone who might want to get a head start with updating their translation mods for this Thursday's Outbreak launch. As always, some strings will change based on feedback/bug fixing but this file is pretty close to what will be released this Thursday. If you're updating an existing translation, people have had success using tools like POEdit to view the changes between their old translation and the new one. Also as a reminder, when the build does go live, every update/patch includes the latest strings_template.pot file at this location: OxygenNotIncluded_Data\StreamingAssets\Mods\strings_template.pot.

strings_template.pot

How can 'insert' new content from the provided file, into my translation strings.po file without loosing translated text? 

English version:

Hi there!

I'm planning the Czech translation of the game cuz I haven't seen any progress with it lately. If anyone has some unfinished work that could be worthy of using, let me know and we can work together as a team of translators (yeeeeey).

Czech version:

Ahoj!

Plánuji udělat svůj překlad, protože jsem nezaznamenal jakýkoliv pokrok od jiných českých překladatelů. Pokud máte nějaké nedokončené překlady, které jsou opravdu solidně přeložené (žádná pseudo čeština, či neodpovídající překlady), budu rád, když se ozvete a můžeme pracovat společně, nebo Vaši práci převezmu a uvedu Vás, jako spoluautory.

Edited by Captain Erwin

Ok, i'm not entirely sure about this but, I've found a string I don't quite understand:

STRINGS.UI.OVERLAYS.DECOR.TOOLTIPS.HIGHDECOR

<b>Low Decor</b>
Area with sufficient decor values
* Lighting and aesthetically pleasing buildings increase decor

and beneath:

STRINGS.UI.OVERLAYS.DECOR.TOOLTIPS.LOWDECOR

<b>High Decor</b>
Area with insufficient decor values
* Resources on the floor are considered "debris" and will decrease decor

As I say, maybe I don't get what you're trying to say but it's pretty confusing if it's not an error :S

Thing is, I'm not in game to see when this shows up so,  maybe it's working as intended ^__^U

Anyone?

This is a tooltip text for the decor overlay. You should report that as a bug, because as you saw the descriptions are mixed up. TOOLTIPS.LOWDECOR has a description for high decor areas, and TOOLTIPS.HIGHDECOR shows the low decor headline.

Hi,

well I dunno why but I felt the desire to alter the terminology of the game a bit so I tinkered on the translation file.

Instead of printed dupes you now can have fun with warped colonists and yup to deal with lots of nasty bacteria is much cooler that those clumsy germs.

And to be honest, why you’d need air deodorizers when you can have air detoxifiers?

I know it might not be world changing but for those who want to experience something different here you go :o)

Overall 19% of the terminology changed.

strings.po

Edited by Chris_Hoefler

@Idznak If you share/want to share, I can help with the Castillian translation - I have the game  :D  It's been a while since I lived there, but I do have a degree in the damn thing and between the two of us, we should be able to function  :D  And at least my preferred slang lexicon is Spain ;) I get such looks from central/south american spanish speakers when I use "vale" as a filler or ordenedor or "la red" for internet.  *LOL*  But then I just have to say something that uses el ceceo and they understand why ;)

Edited by SusanMcO

Hi guys, I am from Thailand. 

First of all, thanks for letting us localize the game into Thai language. I found that there are currently 2 Thai language packs already on the steam workshop. Both packs are error-free but the displayed font is too wide making it hard to read as a whole and occupied too many spaces on the screen whenever playing ONI by myself or watching another player's steam on youtube. 

The font width that is too wide also making it harder for the translator team to pick the right and meaningful word to be fit in the limited area. For example, the icon name on the bottom of the screen and the building name in the build menu which limited to only 7-8 characters before auto-breaking text into a new line. 

I noticed that as stated on OP the default font in Thai language pack is NotoSansThai-Regular. If not mistaken, the font used in the original version is Roboto Condensed which is more compact and more suitable. I did a bit of work searching and comparing the font width and found that it would be better if the default font for Thai language is changed to NotoSansThai-Condensed. Here is the font width comparison comparing the Thai alphabet with shortest width (equivalent to "i" in English) to the longest one (equivalent to "W" in English)

Spoiler

Comparison of Thai vs English alphabet in term of font width
Please note that the NotoSansThai-Condensed is a variant of NotoSansThai and is in an alpha/hinted state (like ONI, :D). You can find more information ofNoTo font family development for other languages as well on the github here:  https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-fonts/tree/master/hinted

Hope that you have a plan to release more embedded fonts available for localization in the near future and let the translator choose the font that most appropriate to the game UI. And finally, thanks to all translators for making the game playable for younger people who are not fluent in English. I may not know which country you are but you are doing the greatest thing to the Duper of all kind!

Cheers, 

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2017 at 11:15 AM, SusanMcO said:

@Idznak If you share/want to share, I can help with the Castillian translation - I have the game  :D  It's been a while since I lived there, but I do have a degree in the damn thing and between the two of us, we should be able to function  :D  And at least my preferred slang lexicon is Spain ;) I get such looks from central/south american spanish speakers when I use "vale" as a filler or ordenedor or "la red" for internet.  *LOL*  But then I just have to say something that uses el ceceo and they understand why ;)

Of course!

Here's the strings.po (attached)

We have a small group in steam workshop, so you can join us to discuss anything there ^__^

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=930994104&searchtext=

The file is up to date(Oil ugrade), so I'm looking for errors/spellchek before they add more strings to translate

Welcome aboard!

strings.po

1 minute ago, Idznak said:

Of course!

Here's the strings.po (attached)

We have a small group in steam workshop, so you can join us to discuss anything there ^__^

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=930994104&searchtext=

The file is up to date(Oil ugrade), so I'm looking for errors/spellchek before they add more strings to translate

Welcome aboard!

strings.po

Muchas gracias!  :)  (I promise I didn't say it like a gringa ;) )

Hi :)

I have a problem with combo lists in custom games. The translation is not updated like some information bubbles.

Where does the problem come from ? The entire right column with combo list and help bubble, do not want to translate.

Capture2.PNG

Edited by okax

On 2/23/2017 at 11:01 PM, Cheerio said:

Thank you so much to everyone who's expressed interest in or is already starting translations of Oxygen Not Included. We still have a lot of work to do on the translation system, including fixing UI layout issues, adding font support for missing character sets and making sure the entire game is translatable. That being said, we've decided to release an early version of the translation tools so that you can start creating proper translations and we can start fixing problems with the system.

Creating a Language Pack

1. Download and install poedit.
  2. Open the Oxygen Not Included folder by right clicking on Oxygen Not Included in Steam, going to the Local Files tab and clicking Browse Local Files.
  3. Open the mods folder which is located in "OxygenNotIncluded_Data/StreamingAssets/Mods"
  4. Open the strings_template.pot with poedit.
  5. Click create new translation.
  6. Translate the strings by clicking on them.
  7. Save the translation to "strings.po" in the same directory to test.

Once you're done translating. You can upload the translation to the Steam Workshop using the Oni Uploader. You can find the uploader in your Steam Library by switching your library to Tools and then launching the Oxygen Not Included Uploader.

*note: you will need to not translate any words inside {} or <> brackets as those are specifically used by the game.

**note: if you are creating a russian or chinese translation, you can take advantage of the language specific fonts by adding "Language: ru" or "Language: zh" to the po file.

***note: you can also choose a font directly by specifying the name of the font in the po file "Font: font_name". The list of fonts currently available are:

Chinese: NotoSansCJKsc-Regular
Japanese: NotoSansCJKjp-Regular
Korean; NotoSansCJKkr-Regular,
Russian: RobotoCondensed-Regular
Thai: NotoSansThai-Regular

Using a Language Pack

1. Launch the game.
  2. Click on "Options".
  3. Click on "Choose a Different Language"
  4. Click on "Steam Workshop"
  5. Subscribe to the Language Pack you want to use.
  6. Go back to the game and click on the Language Pack you want to use.

strings_template.pot

what about language start from right to left ? (rtl) like Arabic and Hebrew

Hi,

i have problems with translations. Some translated strings are in game still in english. Where can be problem? In game or in my translation?I have same problem like okax (here) with new custom game window and with many in-game tooltips.

Four examples attached.

Thanks for any help :)

screenshot.36.png

screenshot.37.png

screenshot.38.png

screenshot.39.png

i was thinking to add my language (bengali). at the moment the game doesn't support bengali, and only shows squares instead of letters. not much people may use this language anyway. but let me know if you are going to add support for BENGALI. I will be happy to see my language.

On 2/25/2017 at 10:01 AM, Heno said:

I'll be assisting ZeroKill with the German translation. Afterwards I might contribute to a Danish one, if there's an initiative :)

I am currently working on a Danish one! Join me on my Steam workshop page, whenever you got the time!

https://github.com/Krautwald/ONI-DK
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1262953982

On 5/20/2017 at 10:38 AM, Dueify said:

You have apparently shut down the site, and couldn't see any progress in the Github upload  :(
I have started my own translation, and would appreciate the help!

https://github.com/Krautwald/ONI-DK
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1262953982

So now there is a few people starting to have interest in the Danish translation!

But as stated: starting somewhat from scratch in Poedit is a huge task, for 2-3 people because none of us has the pro feature of the program to help us out. 
It would be far easier for us to make the translation if we knew anyone who could use the online translation feature, so we just had to check it up for errors and such. Do you guys have any connections to someone who might have that feature? 

Thanks in advance! 

I created a particular project to translate Oxygen Not Included to Brazilian Portuguese (PT_BR) on Transifex.
I don't know how much time I'll deliver to this project (my baby is priority for now) and I can stop post updates any day. Sorry!
BUT if you want translate to any other language, let me know to add these languages.

Oxygen Not Included Translations / Localizations

Edited by Tio Funa