Modded Skins (API)

Fidooop

20 minutes ago, Romanful said:

I understand how to do all the coding and everything, but how do you actually make the skin? A separate exported file? 

Yup! Just like as if you were drawing a new character's anim! :)

1 minute ago, Fidooop said:

Yup! Just like as if you were drawing a new character's anim! :)

So if my default character (let's call them John)'s was in exported/john/ and all of the files with the heads and everything was in there, if I were making john_formal, would i just make a john_formal file in exported that contained all of the same files from the default?

Just now, Romanful said:

So if my default character (let's call them John)'s was in exported/john/ and all of the files with the heads and everything was in there, if I were making john_formal, would i just make a john_formal file in exported that contained all of the same files from the default?

Yes.

• Like 1

Just now, code4240 said:

Has any explanation been given as to why clothing skins and skins for official characters are forbidden? Not being able to create clothing under any circumstances honestly sounds really useless.

Modded clothing skins are forbidden because then others would be able to use said skin, aka, official characters, AKA, skinning official characters. And making skins for official characters is forbidden because then someone could just make bootleg GoH, Survivor, Triumphant, Roseate, and Costume skins for themselves if they didn't have any. Make sense?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chris1488 said:

Modded clothing skins are forbidden because then others would be able to use said skin, aka, official characters, AKA, skinning official characters. And making skins for official characters is forbidden because then someone could just make bootleg GoH, Survivor, Triumphant, Roseate, and Costume skins for themselves if they didn't have any. Make sense?

I understand the logic but not the reasoning. I don't see why this would be any more offlimits than, say, modding maxwell to be playable from the start in single player. It's not like skins cost money or something.

...unless this would somehow allow people to use those skins on servers that didn't have the mod, which doesn't seem possible to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, code4240 said:

I understand the logic but not the reasoning. I don't see why this would be any more offlimits than, say, modding maxwell to be playable from the start in single player. It's not like skins cost money or something.

...unless this would somehow allow people to use those skins on servers that didn't have the mod, which doesn't seem possible to me.

Well, you can just give yourself maxwell with a console command, mod not necessary. 

And for your other point, skins technically DO cost money through the use of the Steam Market. Why buy that Wendy Triumphant you've been looking forward to for weeks when you can just bootleg the skin through the use of this Skins API? It would blow the market's economy way out of proportion and everyone would lose sales. Including Klei. Steam and the respective game company, in this case, Klei, get a small cut of the sales when items, in this case, skins, are purchased from someone selling their item on the market. That's why you don't get the same amount of money that your items sells for on the market.

TL;DR, Steam and Klei will lose sales from the market if official characters and items were allowed to be skinned with the Modded Skins API.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chris1488 said:

Well, you can just give yourself maxwell with a console command, mod not necessary. 

And for your other point, skins technically DO cost money through the use of the Steam Market. Why buy that Wendy Triumphant you've been looking forward to for weeks when you can just bootleg the skin through the use of this Skins API? It would blow the market's economy way out of proportion and everyone would lose sales. Including Klei. Steam and the respective game company, in this case, Klei, get a small cut of the sales when items, in this case, skins, are purchased from someone selling their item on the market. That's why you don't get the same amount of money that your items sells for on the market.

TL;DR, Steam and Klei will lose sales from the market if official characters and items were allowed to be skinned with the Modded Skins API.

I actually didn't know you could buy skins. I actually looked for a place to do so because I suspected the slight possibility, but I couldn't remember where the steam marketplace was located or what it was called because I never use it. Mostly because I'm the type of person that tends to think paying money for content in a game that wasn't free is laughable.

I guess that makes sense then.

Shame though because I'd been thinking about creating a doll-type character who came with extra skins so you could dress them. Guess I'll have to build some other system if I ever want to do that.

Just now, code4240 said:

Shame though because I'd been thinking about creating a doll-type character who came with extra skins so you could dress them. Guess I'll have to build some other system if I ever want to do that.

You can still do that with this API. :p  You may not be able to make singular clothing items, but you can still edit the entire character's look, including the body, through the use of the head slot skin. Or another workaround could be just editing the body slot alone and leaving the head as-is. @CheeseNuggets101 did this with his Medic, Engineer and Spy mods with their BLU skins.

Here's a picture example of what he did:

Spoiler

BLU medic.png

• Like 3

Updated the tutorial to make it a liiiiittle easier to read and included some of the new functionality added in recent updates.

Namely, the ability to set a base item's atlas when adding a new modded skin and the ability to set a function when replacing items for a modded skin starting inventory.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SuperDavid said:

@Fidooop Is it possible you will be adding the skin portrait background of the Forge event (Gladiator portrait) or is that not possible to acquire?

And how did you get those portraits? Did you do hardcore Photoshop and edited out character from a portrait of a character since I don't see any empty portraits in Klei's folder stuff, also thanks for the portraits

I will at some point be obtaining the gladiator portrait and will update the portraits on this thread. As to how? Not sure if I'm supposed to keep it a secret or not so I'll just keep it a secret.

Also, I'll soon be updating Modded Skins and Mods in Menu to work with the new Forge UI!

• Like 3

Just now, Chris1488 said:

If you're asking if this gives skins to the Extended Sample Character preloaded, no. If you're asking if you can make skins for the Extended Sample Character using this API, yes.

I'm lost with the language here. Could you explain that? I'm trying to make a mod for a character of mine, so if I made and finished the mod using ESC, how would I apply any skins?

okay ignore the previous post i found out myself.

except this one error i keep getting:

Spoiler

[00:01:14]: MOD ERROR: johnegbert (John): Mod: johnegbert (John)    
[00:01:18]: [string "../mods/workshop-1394008475/scripts/screens..."]:2: variable 'GLOBAL' is not declared
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        =[C] in function 'error'
        scripts/strict.lua(23,1)
        ../mods/workshop-1394008475/scripts/screens/lobbyscreen.lua(2,1) in main chunk
        =[C] in function 'require'
        ../mods/workshop-835602689/modmain.lua(77,1) in main chunk
        =[C] in function 'xpcall'
        scripts/util.lua(710,1) in function 'RunInEnvironment'
        scripts/mods.lua(513,1) in function 'InitializeModMain'
        scripts/mods.lua(487,1) in function 'LoadMods'
        scripts/main.lua(293,1) in function 'ModSafeStartup'
        scripts/main.lua(355,1)
        =[C] in function 'SetPersistentString'
        scripts/mainfunctions.lua(26,1) in function 'SavePersistentString'
        scripts/modindex.lua(80,1)
        =[C] in function 'GetPersistentString'
        scripts/modindex.lua(67,1) in function 'BeginStartupSequence'
        scripts/main.lua(354,1) in function 'callback'
        scripts/modindex.lua(545,1)
        scripts/modindex.lua(519,1) in function 'Load'
        scripts/main.lua(353,1) in main chunk
[00:01:18]: [string "scripts/mainfunctions.lua"]:1077: variable 'global_error_widget' is not declared
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        =[C] in function 'error'
        scripts/strict.lua(23,1)
        scripts/mainfunctions.lua(1077,1)
        =[C] in function 'SetPersistentString'
        scripts/mainfunctions.lua(26,1) in function 'SavePersistentString'
        scripts/modindex.lua(80,1)
        scripts/modindex.lua(67,1) in function 'BeginStartupSequence'
        scripts/main.lua(354,1) in function 'callback'
        scripts/modindex.lua(545,1)
        scripts/modindex.lua(519,1) in function 'Load'
        scripts/main.lua(353,1) in main chunk
[00:01:18]: DoLuaFile Error: (null)
[00:01:18]: LuaError but no error string
[00:01:18]: Error loading main.lua
[00:01:18]: Failed mSimulation->Reset()
[00:01:18]: Error during game restart!
[00:01:19]: ModWorkshop::CancelDownloads clearing all unfinished downloads
[00:01:19]: Collecting garbage...
[00:01:19]: lua_gc took 0.02 seconds
[00:01:19]: ~ShardLuaProxy()
[00:01:19]: ~ItemServerLuaProxy()
[00:01:19]: ~InventoryLuaProxy()
[00:01:19]: ~NetworkLuaProxy()
[00:01:19]: ~SimLuaProxy()
[00:01:19]: ModWorkshop::CancelDownloads clearing all unfinished downloads
[00:01:19]: lua_close took 0.01 seconds
[00:01:20]: ModWorkshop::CancelDownloads clearing all unfinished downloads
[00:01:20]: [Steam] Auth ticket cancelled
[00:01:20]:  Manager - ORPHANED UNKNOWN RESOURCES:
[00:01:20]: shaders/ui_yuv.ksh - 1
[00:01:20]: CurlRequestManager::ClientThread::Main() complete
[00:01:20]: HttpClient2 discarded 0 callbacks.
[00:01:20]: Shutting down

i have NO idea what this means and would like if someone helped me on what this could mean.

the global declare mod that the mod is asking for is either the modded skin mod or the patch

EDIT: upon examination, it's the patch

Edited by TricksterJohn

Excuse me, I want to learn how to use this api, I'm following the instructions using the temporary patch version, I can't made it yet, I was wondering if there are more proyects on the workshop that I can use as examples, more skinned "items" I want to use this api in a modded structure, the only mod I found that do this is the <default's> festive pack and its code its pretty confuse for me

Edited by Rily

9 hours ago, Rily said:

Excuse me, I want to learn how to use this api, I'm following the instructions using the temporary patch version, I can't made it yet, I was wondering if there are more proyects on the workshop that I can use as examples, more skinned "items" I want to use this api in a modded structure, the only mod I found that do this is the <default's> festive pack and its code its pretty confuse for me

Actually default's mod doesn't rely on the API to make skinned structures. In fact, I don't think anybody's used the API to make skinned structures yet. If you like, you can check out the "Ron, the Luck Seeker" mod, that has one skinned item, to see if that'll be of any help.

• Like 1

i dont understand how to use it, i was using the medic and i use the triumphant skin but it's doesn't work,  why??                                                         if you guys know tell me

Is there a video tutorial on how to do this because I don’t want to mess up the coding and the code I’m supposed to be adding is already in the lua file so I’m not really sure what I’m supposed to be doing