[Game Update] - Winter's Feast (BETA 199914)

5 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Anyone else feel like Klaus giving various drops from other bosses (including blueprints) feels like it kinda defeats the purpose of the other bosses a bit? I think at the very least the blueprints are a bit too much.

Well it's the beta, perhaps they'll give him a unique drop, and maybe keep the krampus sack as we still need an alternative for krampus sack farming since more players are around.

• Like 2

If the devs wanted to tweak his Klaus' drops to make it more fair, I'd suggest leaving the chance for a krampus sack but the other boss drops should be massively nerfed or removed.

If you give him a special padlock drop, and give Krampus a 20% chance to drop a chain you could avoid undermining the benefits of the current naughtiness system. Make a new chain mail armour item (using the padlock, steel wool and chains); give it the same stats as wood armour but make it repairable with additional chains. 

Basically it would give him something useful, but not overpowered. It would also make it so that Krampus farming doesn't become redundant.

6 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Anyone else feel like Klaus giving various drops from other bosses (including blueprints) feels like it kinda defeats the purpose of the other bosses a bit? I think at the very least the blueprints are a bit too much.

If you play solo, it is harder to kill toad, but then you don't always get the toad stuff from this Klaus either. For scales you can farm Dfly using bunny. If you kite you can kill Dfly too. For any other boss items (eyebrella and etc), it is just easier to kill those boss for the loot. So In a way it is the otherway around, that Klaus loot aren't special so players don't have that special need to challenge the boss. Klaus isn't that hard to kill, poss very little risk if a fight with Klaus gone bad. Hence I think the boss gift bundle kinda reflects the risk and reward.

In public server, players will kill this Klaus for the additional boss items. Doesn't mean that players will leave the other boss alone thou. More eyebrella for everyone is always a good thing.

#SAVETHEGIANTS, #BADATROLLING

Edited by Mday

6 minutes ago, Mday said:

If you play solo, it is harder to kill toad, but then you don't always get the toad stuff from this Klaus either. For scales you can farm Dfly using bunny. If you kite you can kill Dfly too. For any other boss items (eyebrella and etc), it is just easier to kill those boss for the loot. So In a way it is the otherway around, that Klaus loot aren't special so players don't have that special need to challenge the boss. Klaus isn't that hard to kill, poss very little risk if a fight with Klaus gone bad. Hence I think the boss gift bundle kinda reflects the risk and reward.

In public server, players will kill this Klaus for the additional boss items. Doesn't mean that players will leave the other boss alone thou. More eyebrella for everyone is always a good thing.

#SAVETHEGIANTS, #BADATROLLING

Honestly, it's more of just the blueprints I have an issue with. I feel like those really should remain unique to their own bosses.

Or something that would be neat: If Klaus didn't drop boss loot/blueprints unless that boss has been killed at least once. That way you'll need to know how to fight the other bosses instead of mastering just a single boss and getting a little bit of everything.

3 hours ago, alainmcd said:

Type this in the console:

ApplySpecialEvent("default")

Thank you for trying to help, but this doesn't seem to be having any effect.  

The candy bag is still in the crafting menu, while the gift wrap and the tree pot are not.  

I don't use console commands a lot.  Is it possible I'm doing something wrong?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fluxpinner said:

Thank you for trying to help, but this doesn't seem to be having any effect.  

The candy bag is still in the crafting menu, while the gift wrap and the tree pot are not.  

I don't use console commands a lot.  Is it possible I'm doing something wrong?

You must be hosting or admin. If you're admin or hosting a world with caves, press ctrl, you'll see "Remote" in red, else your changes won't take effect. I just checked and it seems changes aren't saved when using ApplySpecialEvent(), so to make the change persistent you have to use:

TheWorld.topology.overrides.special_event = "default"

This command doesn't change the event settings immediately, you'll need to either use ApplySpecialEvent() or reload your world.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

I'm fine with having him drop boss loot and krampus sacks, but the blueprints and drops from really strong bosses like queen bee and toadstool just seems too overpowered to me.

I feel like it's more of an extra shot at getting their loot. And if it drops in bulk that already makes getting that from Klaus a trash drop basically(1 Down Feather. oh yeaahhhhhhhh).

• Like 2

Wow, CutChemist, that picture is awesome!  Also congrats on soloing Klaus.  I really gotta get around to arranging a base all artistically like that sometime, instead of just putting things wherever they fit (and are still inside the fling's range)...

Me, this is all pretty irrelevant unless I reroll a new world with a longer winter, most likely, 'cos five days is not enough time exploring to just _happen_ to come across Klaus's sack, especially when playing solo.  As for #SAVETHEGIANTS, something funny happened the other day...I was in the Pig King's birch forest (in...spring, I think?) and suddenly WHOMPF! the ground shook.  Only once.

I'm like, "Wait, what?  What was that?" and carefully tiptoe over to see...Bearger lying face-first on the ruins of THE PIG HOUSE HE FELL ON.  It's like the game went, "Wait, he's supposed to be hibernating now.  Quick, have him fall asleep!" right when I came anywhere near and he just WHOMP fell over wherever he happened to be.  XD  (He'd spawned there during a previous fall...but didn't seem to be directly after me so I left him alone.)

....aaaand I didn't attack him while he was asleep.  Why?  The reason I was in that forest to begin with is because it was the day of the full moon and I was trying to get to Glommer before morning.  So yeah, #SAVETHEGIANTS.  : P  I just snuck over, grabbed the pigskin out from under his furry butt instead, and left.

...Notorious

I'm okay with him dropping some boss loot, but the blueprints should really only be dropped by their respective bosses. Klaus is the easiest "raid boss" in the game, and if he continues to drop that stuff then you have literally zero reason to fight the much harder Dragonfly, Toadstool and Bee Queen. 

However, I do hope he does get some exclusive drop instead. Maybe a structure that speeds up farms? A new pet? Blueprints to make the event stuff all year round? Heck, even some Thulecite would work since that stuff is a pain to renew.

Also, keep in mind, outside of the event he drops bundled wraps instead of gifts, meaning you can re-use the bundle wraps! And since he drops like 5, thats a pretty good amount.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Zhuzha said:

Ooh, the plot thickens!

Maybe the shadows a starting to act on their own will? Or maybe Charlie's control over them was about as illusory as Maxwell's in the first place?

For me it seems like Charlie is not a puppet for the shadows..

It seems like she BECAME a shadow...

I mean she just control the night & shadow monsters and can ******** power the nightmare throne in one slap unlike Maxwell who was just crying & pooping sitting in the throne.

But if it's not Charlie who made it i guess Klaus & the krampus are :

1. Independents from Charlie and can just roam between worlds (we see that Krampus just get away after they gather enough of you're stuff by jumping in the bag)

2.They come from the true shadows ? 

Edited by Angibot
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ashkain said:

I'm okay with him dropping some boss loot, but the blueprints should really only be dropped by their respective bosses. Klaus is the easiest "raid boss" in the game, and if he continues to drop that stuff then you have literally zero reason to fight the much harder Dragonfly, Toadstool and Bee Queen. 

However, I do hope he does get some exclusive drop instead. Maybe a structure that speeds up farms? A new pet? Blueprints to make the event stuff all year round? Heck, even some Thulecite would work since that stuff is a pain to renew.

Also, keep in mind, outside of the event he drops bundled wraps instead of gifts, meaning you can re-use the bundle wraps! And since he drops like 5, thats a pretty good amount.

I feel like Dfly is much easier. Dfly is press F, keep whacking until Lavae spawning, switch to scalemail, kill em, sleep her/freeze her, repeat. Klaus is attack but dodge the deers as you do while also remembering to not kill a deer.

3 hours ago, alainmcd said:

You must be hosting or admin. If you're admin or hosting a world with caves, press ctrl, you'll see "Remote" in red, else your changes won't take effect. I just checked and it seems changes aren't saved when using ApplySpecialEvent(), so to make the change persistent you have to use:

TheWorld.topology.overrides.special_event = "default"

This command doesn't change the event settings immediately, you'll need to either use ApplySpecialEvent() or reload your world.

i made some test worlds in order to play around with the console commands.

Using ApplySpecialEvent("default") doesn't seem to do anything.  However, ApplySpecialEvent("winters_feast") does change it to the winter event.  

However, as you noted, it isn't a persistent change and it reverts to hallowed nights once the world is restarted.

TheWorld.topology.overrides.specialevent = "winters_feast"  works to create a persistent change in my test worlds.

For some reason ApplySpecialEvent("winters_feast") still does nothing on my long standing world, but TheWorld.topology.overrides.specialevent = "winters_feast" and restarting fixed things.

A thousand thanks for fixing my world.  I'm not sure why "default" wasn't working, but I least I get to have a fancy tree now.

• Like 1

I know this is offtopic for you guys, who are talking about the Klaus drop, buuuut.... Do anyone thinks the new skins will start dropping this weekend? Today? I want to play, but I don't want to lose anychances to get something nice from the update :c

2 minutes ago, Tuxe said:

I know this is offtopic for you guys, who are talking about the Klaus drop, buuuut.... Do anyone thinks the new skins will start dropping this weekend? Today? I want to play, but I don't want to lose anychances to get something nice from the update :c

In another thread it was mentioned that the new skins will start droping once Winters feast is active on the main branch.

Is there a way to get the christmas tree lights from anything other than Klaus drops? I've been killing anything that moves and have only been amassing cookies/cake/canes and have two baubles (one from Deerclops, one from a beehive). Does it all just come down to RNG? If it's RNG does anyone have any recommendations on things with a fast farm cycle?

Still haven't played this update (waiting for next update) but I don't have a problem with the loot , after all this is a event about a holiday that gives you gifts so why not . It will be here only for that holiday (unless you toggle it in world gen) and if you don't want to get loot from other bosses just don't fight him and go fight the other bosses it's not a big deal .

Edited by 1v0

6 minutes ago, 1v0 said:

It will be here only for that holiday (unless you toggle it in world gen) and if you don't want to get loot from other bosses just don't fight him and go fight the other bosses it's not a big deal .

Klaus can spawn outside of the holiday event, he just looks different and doesn't drop presents, just bundled wraps instead, the contents are still the same, minus baubles and candy.

Edited by Ashkain
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ashkain said:

Klaus can spawn outside of the holiday event, he just looks different and doesn't drop presents, just bundled wraps instead.

Yea but it doesn't drop the boss items outside the event (like if you active the halloween event and kill him) ? If so still np for me , it's even better an addition content but if it drops the boss items even after the event well ... that's a bit too much .

My point was about the loot - Yea is too much but its a holiday about giving gifts to ppl so why not .

Edited by 1v0

1 minute ago, 1v0 said:

Yea but it doesn't drop the boss items outside the even (like if you active the halloween event and kill him) ? If so still np for me , it's even better an addition content but if it drops the boss items even after the event well ... that's a bit too much .

My point was about the loot - Yea is too much but its a holiday about giving gifts to ppl so why not .

He still drops the boss items outside of the event, I'm pretty sure.