[Game Update] - Herd Mentality (BETA 198138)

35 minutes ago, ShadyPK said:

I wonder of the Shadow Heart, Moonstone Gem, and other stuff might be all part of one huge recipe

I think it'd be funny as all heck if all the useless items in the game were used in a big crafting recipe for something even more useless.

DST  accomploshrine = 1 glommer wing, 1 shadow atrium, 1 iridescent gem(i think thats how you spell it), 1 thick fur, 1 orange gem, 1 rot, 1 phlegm, 1 redcap - Together, they make a mess of an object that when interacted with makes your player do an animation that lasts one entire minute that cannot be escaped from no matter what circumstances. When used 100 times it gives you 20 billion thulecite so your game crashes. A perfect late game goal.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Weirdobob said:

I think it'd be funny as all heck if all the useless items in the game were used in a big crafting recipe for something even more useless.

4 minutes ago, Weirdobob said:

1 redcap

I think @PeterA would object to that being called "useless"...

And anyone who knows how to make meatballs, pierogies and froggle bunwichs.

Edited by GiddyGuy
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

Hounds and Giants are easier to deal with, and the Dragonfly and other new bosses are completely optional.

Hounds and Giants are easiers to deal with ? Why ? Usually i find them more dangerous than in classic DS, but i play with one or two friends. Maybe it's related to the number of players on the server ? And so, easier when you are close to max players ?

And there's nothing in the game to supplement that decrease in difficulty as if this latest patch, the new team is too busy making more cosmetics and adding what the original designers thought would ruin the theme of the game.

I don't agree at all.

My experience is totally different. The more objective you have, the greatest the risk.

Because when you are focusing on adding cute fence around your farm, you aren't preparing winter. You spend resource you could use for survival. You don't harvest food, twigs, grass, you don't get some useful stuff.

When you spend time finding the ending table, you aren't searching something more useful. When you are capturing bird for feather for sign, you spend resource you could use for things more useful.

Of course, usually, nothing extreme. People will still do the important things and spend free time for decoration. But decoration could distract people, make them become less prepared than usually, or without the resource they would usually have. Not enough to starve awfully but enough to ADD challenge and not remove it. Because decoration is useless, so any time devoted to decoration is a time not spending in something useful, meaning that you have globally an higher difficulty.

So decoration add challenge. And of course, decoration could encourage you to fight Dragonfly, Toadstool and others dangerous things, so it create new difficult situations.

Of course, not mandatory, but still.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Why would you be playing and cooperating with selfish players in the first place?

time zones.... plain and simple... BTW, have you played in random dedicated servers?? I bet you haven't.

2 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

I do actually know about bee boxes and if you look back at a post I made I actually mention the thing about them and also why I think bee hives being renewable should be a thing. Essentially they're a world aesthetics thing and a much more reliable source of initial bees than fricken tumbleweeds, but what would I know, I've only played 1800 hours of the game.

If you can get bees from your own beeboxes why should you even consider going on a hunt for tumbleweeds just for the bees?? This makes no sense to me... You can have 1800 in the game, but this is not a very clever way around that problem in particular.

Edited by FreyaMaluk
  • Like 2

Hounds and Giants are easier to deal with

That's just one of the pitfalls of not having a scaled difficulty based on player count. But then again, with tooth traps both hounds and giants are fairly easy to deal with in DS as well. Heck, just get a dark sword and a tam and you've pretty much beaten everything.

and the Dragonfly and other new bosses are completely optional.

The new bosses being optional is perfectly fine. I would have loved to see optional bosses in DS that were meant to test your skill in the game. After you've survived a year or two and raided the ruins there's not much to do other then complete the wooden thing and start (almost) all over again. The optional bosses at least gives you something to do. The dragonfly could have been kept as a seasonal giant, but at the least making her optional and giving her some gem drops made thulecite renewable. Eh, either way, I wouldn't mind. The point I'm making is that the bee queen, toadstool and shadow chess pieces being optional doesn't seem like a big deal.

And there's nothing in the game to supplement that decrease in difficulty as if this latest patch

Yeah, I can agree with that. Although the game simply becomes easier due to having too many players and the lack of a difficulty scaling mechanic. Giving enemies and bosses 2x or 3x health only works if you have 2 or 3 players in total. Any more then that and the balance is broken making fighting them a lot easier. Excluding combat(because I literally just talked about that), the general survival aspects are pretty much untouched. A new game mode that removes telltale hearts would be nice though. Revival is fairly easy in DST and that makes the game a lot easier. The booster shot could also be made more costly so that the health penalty of reviving with a heart actually matters.

the new team is too busy making more cosmetics

I personally don't see anything wrong with cosmetics. I'll admit that the current system is a tad clunky, but it's fine. It doesn't have any effect on actual gameplay. And it's not like the team is even putting 100% of their time into making them. If that was the case we would have a crazy amount of unique skins and little to no new content.

and adding what the original designers thought would ruin the theme of the game.

Elaborating a bit more on things that would "ruin the theme of the game" would be nice as well. That's kinda vague and difficult to actually discuss.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Weirdobob said:

DST  accomploshrine = 1 glommer wing, 1 shadow atrium, 1 iridescent gem(i think thats how you spell it), 1 thick fur, 1 orange gem, 1 rot, 1 phlegm, 1 redcap - Together, they make a mess of an object that when interacted with makes your player do an animation that lasts one entire minute that cannot be escaped from no matter what circumstances. When used 100 times it gives you 20 billion thulecite so your game crashes. A perfect late game goal.

Watch as it makes the Deadly Feast for everyone to consume

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lumina said:

Hounds and Giants are easiers to deal with ? Why ? Usually i find them more dangerous than in classic DS, but i play with one or two friends. Maybe it's related to the number of players on the server ? And so, easier when you are close to max players ?

I don't agree at all.

My experience is totally different. The more objective you have, the greatest the risk.

Because when you are focusing on adding cute fence around your farm, you aren't preparing winter. You spend resource you could use for survival. You don't harvest food, twigs, grass, you don't get some useful stuff.

When you spend time finding the ending table, you aren't searching something more useful. When you are capturing bird for feather for sign, you spend resource you could use for things more useful.

Of course, usually, nothing extreme. People will still do the important things and spend free time for decoration. But decoration could distract people, make them become less prepared than usually, or without the resource they would usually have. Not enough to starve awfully but enough to ADD challenge and not remove it. Because decoration is useless, so any time devoted to decoration is a time not spending in something useful, meaning that you have globally an higher difficulty.

So decoration add challenge. And of course, decoration could encourage you to fight Dragonfly, Toadstool and others dangerous things, so it create new difficult situations.

But this is assuming people are going after decorations right away in a new world.  Or that everyone is looking for said decorations.  Whenever I start a new world, there are tasks designated, once a base is set up, and most things are prepared for harsher climates, then we go out searching for decorations.  

Really, it isn't a challenge at all if you know how to prepare yourself and have set tasks in mind.  

I want to add that the most I've ever played with on a server is one other person, so this isn't assuming I'm always playing with 6 or 8 people.  I either play alone or with 1 other person and still find it too easy (and yes, this is with settings rarely altered)

Edited by Tainted-Petals

1 hour ago, Tainted-Petals said:

Really, it isn't a challenge at all if you know how to prepare yourself and have set tasks in mind.  

Yeah, if.

It's the key.

Not everyone knows how to prepare. Not everyone will like to prepare during a moment and wait until this point to do news and fun things. So decoration could make survival harder. Not everytime, not for everyone. But it exists.

In any case, decoration could make the game harder, but isn't making the game easier, so it's perfect. You have more purpose if you like it, it doesn't change anything if you don't. So why being against decoration ? You don't lose anything and it's more content for players, content that could make the game more challenging (yes, everyone doesn't know how to be perfectly prepared. Also, mixing survival and decoration is great to avoid being bored).

Just now, Lumina said:

Yeah, if.

It's the key.

Not everyone knows how to prepare. Not everyone will like to prepare during a moment and wait until this point to do news and fun things. So decoration could make survival harder. Not everytime, not for everyone. But it exists.

In any case, decoration could make the game harder, but isn't making the game easier, so it's perfect. You have more purpose if you like it, it doesn't change anything if you don't. So why being against decoration ? You don't lose anything and it's more content for players, content that could make the game more challenging (yes, everyone doesn't know how to be perfectly prepared. Also, mixing survival and decoration is great to avoid being bored).

At what point did I say I was against decorations?  I didn't.  I quite enjoy them actually, I'm just stating that it doesn't add any challenge to the game.  That's all.  It's purely decoration, and that's fine.  All I personally want is just more lore, that is it.  The decorations are nice and all, but I am lore starved because they've changed stuff from DS to DST that seems to have messed a little with the lore and I just want this tangle to be out in the open.  That's all.

This question wasn't for you, it's more global because some people seem to be angry/annoyed about decoration. Again, i explained it adds a challenge, but yeah, it's subtle. Maybe it's not the case for you, but there is a lot of players with differents playstyles.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

In other words, the game is turning from "everything is out to kill you" to "you are out to kill everything" and the forum is well too supportive of that and devs agree and it sucks for the rest of us and for the initial incentive of the game.

Agreed. Where is the challenge? Remember when toadstool offered a good semi-endgame? Yes, that is out the window completely.

We're 2 years past the first beta of the game and we still have noobs who literally walk into a server and expect to be carried. There needs to be some type of disclaimer that Don't Starve is what they should play first to learn the game instead of immediately jumping into multiplayer and expecting everything to be handed to them.

I propose this because its those who are inexperienced who complain about the game being too hard, meaning those who have stuck with the game as long as I have think that the game isn't worth my time anymore because I keep playing the same game and replayability can only go so far. Making the game easier for people is NOT how it should be. There should be challenges that require far more effort.

• Like 7

Funny how some people keep asking for challenge.

Ginger host a hardcore server, noone play on it. Art host it again, still noone show up.

DF can't be cheesed, noone go kite it on pub.

DF can be cheesed, everyone rush to cheese it to death.

I guess 99.99% players aren't really going for the challenge anyway.

19 minutes ago, Mday said:

Ginger host a hardcore server, noone play on it. Art host it again, still noone show up.

Or they aren't playing on public servers.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2016 at 8:58 AM, Lumina said:

I don't agree at all.

What? I have not seen a professional or even a medium level player focus on creating a decoration rather than something they DESPERATELY need... ever! Where is this kind of logic coming from, describe your scenarios if you have any. Also you find Stagehand not the End table, you craft the End table.

Decoration doesn't encourage me at least to fight anything. I would fight Toadstool purely for the sake of having something bigger to do. And the fact that the shroom hats give out spores and slow down your hunger, which can be some bit useful when farming mushrooms. The lights might be kind of a decoration, I suppose, although generally they're more of a light that doesn't give out heat or breeze without requiring something requires a tougher resource to waste for fuel and doesn't make you lose sanity when standing near it (I'm talking of course about the night light... man, the thing essentially got made even less useful than before it seems). The Scaled furnace isn't a decorative thing at all either, it's a forever-lasting light and heat source that you can cook on! Plus, killing Dragonfly loots an important item, 1- 2 of that is important in renewing thulecite (green gems).

Even if all that Toadstool and Dragonfly gave in terms of important items was just decoration, if they were still stationary raid bosses, you would still see people going for them (though possibly not nearly as often as players beat them right now) because of not having anything else other to do in the game.

It isn't that I think there should be an incentive to fight the bosses (there is), but that bosses should at least, at some point come to you or be of somewhat a trap/consequence/surprise, like with my suggestion of Bee Queen being a guardian of bee hives, similarly to the Tree guard and evergreens, while Toadstool could act like a trap boss in its own biome, similarly how Depth worms are a trap mob with the glow berries (although at the moment, it's very easy to keep the trap thing away from danger since standing near a glowberry plant that is actually a depth worm will take away sanity, so @V2C patching this for a true surprise would really be great for improving the game design for them in relation to players).

• Like 2

On 11/26/2016 at 9:01 AM, FreyaMaluk said:

1) time zones.... plain and simple... BTW, have you played in random dedicated servers?? I bet you haven't.

1) If you can get bees from your own beeboxes why should you even consider going on a hunt for tumbleweeds just for the bees?? This makes no sense to me... You can have 1800 in the game, but this is not a very clever way around that problem in particular.

1) I have played on random dedicated servers, a lot in fact. I mean, why would you go fight a giant with selfish players? Just fight without them and prep more or ask over players that actually aren't selfish, simple as, no?

2) You... seriously? I said, before that " bees become much harder to obtain if you have lost all of your bee hives and only have bee queen for honey combs as you need 4 for a bee box " so, in other words, as it seems you're completely skipping over what I write, I'm describing a scenario where all the bee hives are destroyed, all the bee boxes have been destroyed, with all the bees from them dead, which results in tumbleweeds as the only way to obtain any form of bees. So, having an easier way to get bees renewably in a way that cannot be destroyed completely (the way I mean, not the hives themselves. As in, if bee hives are respawning in some way, say from the grumble bees that spawn from the giant bee hive, then since the giant bee hive keeps respawning, it will respawn bee hives over time, meaning it's an indestructible way of renewably getting bees. Got it?). Are you confused or do you get it now?

8 hours ago, Mday said:

I don't wanna play on a modded server. I want an authentic gameplay experience. There is no satisfaction to be gained by playing on a server where there are 50 million mods that make the game easier or harder.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Mday said:

You have to ask these players. Do they play on public and avoid soloing DF, or do they play elsewhere and find DF too easy to solo.

I think it's more complex. A challenge you search doesn't necessary give you the same feeling that a challenge you have to face or flee. For example, if i want to fight hound in desert biome, i will recruit some pigs and kill them. But hound wave could be more dangerous because i could be less prepared or without pigs nearly or...

Also, killing dragonfly alone could be a kind of challenge, but not everyone like doing this, especially when it have no impact (except if you do a video and got some comments like "it's impressive"). So i guess that it's not really more rewarding than killing the boss with help.

I think that it's very great to have some boss you don't have to fight if you don't want to, like dragonfly, toadstool, bee queen. But i guess that people here lack some challenge that will come to them rather than challenge that they will search. The feeling isn't the same, especially in a survival game.

But i'm not sure these challenges should be hard and (for dragonfly), destructive. For me, i hate to have my entire base destroyed because of a boss, it's not fun.

And usually, since i play alone, boss aren't the funny part of the game for me.

I think that it would be great if we have more dangerous things appears in the world after the first year. Plenty of time for news players and the one who still have things to learn to enjoy the game and the difficulty (because i'm a little tired of "it's too easy", don't forget : it's not true for everyone), and providing new challenge for everyone reaching this point.

For example, frog rain in spring isn't a boss, but could still be really annoying or dangerous (especially at night), and could be very fun if you manage to reach a beefalo spot during the frog rain. It's a difficulty (agressives monster all around, stealing your inventory), it could be worse if you make mistake (like attacking them), and if you manage to use it well, you are rewarded.

Maybe you could imagine more event like this after year one. Challenging, breaking monotony, and fun.

Or adding variant to season. For example, a dry summer. Ponds are dried, they spawn moskito all day, even classic pond. Some animals like mole are becoming agressive because of the heat, and will search to attack you. So sometime you'll have classis summer, sometime dry summer, sometime another variant, and you'll have to adapt.

3 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:
On 26/11/2016 at 9:58 AM, Lumina said:

What? I have not seen a professional or even a medium level player focus on creating a decoration rather than something they DESPERATELY need...

Please, if you don't understand me, could you ask explanation more quietly ? I never spoke about doing decoration instead of something you desperately need.

But for example, i'm in winter, a base set, most of the things ok, and i spend some time searching one resource for a cool decoration stuff... And i forget to have some things against rain in spring. Nothing big and DESPERATE or anything, but still, it could lead to some hard days in spring that could be avoided, because instead of planning, i've done some fun things with decoration.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SuperPsiPower said:

I don't wanna play on a modded server. I want an authentic gameplay experience. There is no satisfaction to be gained by playing on a server where there are 50 million mods that make the game easier or harder.

Gingerbread Cookies was a vanilla server, so that doesn't explain it.

I used to be a regular on GC before the hardcore server was added, and I can explain exactly why I didn't join it: that was around the same time that I figured out how many Oblivion saves I had to go back to find one that wasn't corrupt, so I didn't have much time for DST anymore.  By the time I decided I wanted to go back to DST for a while, GC was gone.

Just now, TemporaryMan said:

Gingerbread Cookies was a vanilla server, so that doesn't explain it.

I used to be a regular on GC before the hardcore server was added, and I can explain exactly why I didn't join it: that was around the same time that I figured out how many Oblivion saves I had to go back to find one that wasn't corrupt, so I didn't have much time for DST anymore.  By the time I decided I wanted to go back to DST for a while, GC was gone.

No temp, for a short period of time ginger had a 3rd server. It use a different sets of world gen rules that makes the server "hardcore". Then not long ago Art rehost it again for about 2~3 weeks before it was taken away again.

Just because I'm interested, I'll butt in the stuff you've responded with to Mday, if that's alright. That said, here's my points:

2 hours ago, Lumina said:

I think it's more complex. A challenge you search doesn't necessary give you the same feeling that a challenge you have to face or flee. For example, if i want to fight hound in desert biome, i will recruit some pigs and kill them. But hound wave could be more dangerous because i could be less prepared or without pigs nearly or...

Also, killing dragonfly alone could be a kind of challenge, but not everyone like doing this, especially when it have no impact (except if you do a video and got some comments like "it's impressive"). So i guess that it's not really more rewarding than killing the boss with help.

/\ EXACTLY! That's what me and some others have been talking about! Things coming to you, the "everything is out to kill you" idea, the whole main thought behind the game, this is what we would like, it's very different from what we have right now with the latest content and it sucks because it's all so very (or way too much) optional.

I think that it's very great to have some boss you don't have to fight if you don't want to, like dragonfly, toadstool, bee queen. But i guess that people here lack some challenge that will come to them rather than challenge that they will search. The feeling isn't the same, especially in a survival game.

To not have to fight them to kill them, perhaps it's great, but to not have to deal with them at all sucks ass, if you ask me. It's not what the game's initial idea was, even if we go to since the beginning of the idea of DST and not as far as single player DS (which for multiplayer was to cooperate together and to survive and thrive together while trying to beat or deal with anything that comes to kill you). The goal initially was to survive for as long as you could and thrive along the way to survive longer. the latest content doesn't extend this, it simply gives you something optional to do if you want to and not as a consequence or something along the lines, which just doesn't increase the difficulty in the long run and makes the game very much beatable. The fact that it was so easy to master the game after some time and get MLG (Megabase Legit Going) instead of the struggle getting tougher as you thrive longer (like, lets say, it actually being very beneficial after a few years or so if you go down the ruins and prepare some thulecite armour for a grand battle with a tought-to-beat boss which will come after you or something and if you don't do so, you might barely make it or as a result die).

Like, just imagine: If you wanted a lot of honey combs for bee boxes, you would possibly go kill a bunch of bee hives if you already got all the bees you wanted or whatever. As far as just killing innocent creatures goes, there's already a consequence for that, which is karma building up with Krampus coming your way (and while I think it's not really well-balanced to do what he was initially intended to do, he's at least something extra for an extra challenge for being a cruel killer of innocent animals). For bee hives... you destroy them all, you have no consequences. An extremely easy way to just build up your base. Well, if the bee queen emerged and followed you till the end of your days or until another player helps to intervene, your bee box building and world-extermination would have punishment or challenge behind it or you would need to take in caution if you know how the thing goes if you're not prepared for it or don't want to get punished. As a consequence, it would be a slow process to get a lot of bee boxes going. Add that kind of a thing to the bee hives/giant bee hives and a lot of the rest of the content? You would have a game that fits its idea and executes it like a bliss!

But i'm not sure these challenges should be hard and (for dragonfly), destructive. For me, i hate to have my entire base destroyed because of a boss, it's not fun.

Yeah, for multiplayer especially, this could be pretty bad. If the target priority is set towards a player who has only survived a certain amount of days (e.g. 64, since if Dragonfly becomes a boss that can also roam at some times, it would possible be between day 65 - 75 in the world. Although, I mean, if you join later on in the game and the game caters better towards newbies, the day limit might be set to lower, as it's best left local to each player instead of global, otherwise you would have (as you can have right now) a Deerclops coming after day 2 player just because they were standing next to more structures whilst everyone else was over yonder fighting Dragonfly (not even kidding, legit happened to me once, had all the stuff set up near portal for newbies to survive destroyed :()), this could be a lot less destructive if the player knows what they are doing. I'm all for the Dragonfly being possible to be in your base, although I think more thought to this would be put in. And of course, for most of Summer, I think it would be pretty decent if she stayed a raid boss, which then at some point in Summer will go roam around the world if they have a player with enough days survived to target during the season or something.

And usually, since i play alone, boss aren't the funny part of the game for me.

Eeem... I'm not entirely sure what this sentence is supposed to imply...

I think that it would be great if we have more dangerous things appears in the world after the first year. Plenty of time for news players and the one who still have things to learn to enjoy the game and the difficulty (because i'm a little tired of "it's too easy", don't forget : it's not true for everyone), and providing new challenge for everyone reaching this point.

For example, frog rain in spring isn't a boss, but could still be really annoying or dangerous (especially at night), and could be very fun if you manage to reach a beefalo spot during the frog rain. It's a difficulty (agressives monster all around, stealing your inventory), it could be worse if you make mistake (like attacking them), and if you manage to use it well, you are rewarded.

Maybe you could imagine more event like this after year one. Challenging, breaking monotony, and fun.

Yeah, this really would be great, but only if it's local per player, as in if a player has survived a year. Otherwise, it would a good challenge for players who play later on in the game, but pretty much unplayable for newbies, unless they get help right off the bat, which might be an impossibility and as a result a nearly instant death, which trust me, is not what you want.

3 hours ago, Lumina said:

Or adding variant to season. For example, a dry summer. Ponds are dried, they spawn moskito all day, even classic pond. Some animals like mole are becoming agressive because of the heat, and will search to attack you. So sometime you'll have classis summer, sometime dry summer, sometime another variant, and you'll have to adapt.

Now THAT is cool. If they're going for the whole variation thing (which I think they should and should expand more on), then this could be cool; having like three levels of hotness for Summer and three levels of Coldness for Winter as well as three levels of wetness for Spring or something and perhaps some variation to Autumn in some way (wind would be nice, though I guess it's best if they port SW content first before doing that).

3 hours ago, Lumina said:

Please, if you don't understand me, could you ask explanation more quietly ? I never spoke about doing decoration instead of something you desperately need.

But for example, i'm in winter, a base set, most of the things ok, and i spend some time searching one resource for a cool decoration stuff... And i forget to have some things against rain in spring. Nothing big and DESPERATE or anything, but still, it could lead to some hard days in spring that could be avoided, because instead of planning, i've done some fun things with decoration.

Emm... you actually did? And the next paragraph is you describing EXACTLY THAT. I don't know about you, but I and possibly some other pros do think about the overall game survival before decoration and not just the current survival, decoration and only finally prep for the next season. I get an umbrella and a heat insulation item (preferably for head) as soon as possible. I really don't know what your mindset here is, but it's weird. Either that, or you're just trying to justify an immense amount of decorative items in the game and it's actually just complete bollocks.

• Like 1