Sign in to follow this  
Ecu

[WIP] Advanced World Generation and Water

Recommended Posts

Ecu    586

Advanced World Generation and Water (AWGW)

The goal of this mod project will be to add water tiles that can be traversed via boats.  Eventually, said water tile system will be given an API, to allow other mod authors to take advantage of this system.  In addition to the water tiles, the goal is to have this API be able to offer additional generation functions needed to better control the generation of the world.

Here is a list of some of the content I plan to implement in this project...

  • Tiles
    • Sea
      • These will be broken up into shallow, normal, and deep sea.  The goal is to generate these dynamically, based on distance from land masses.
    • Bog
      • These will be broken up into normal, and deep bog.  These will be part of an additional room type specifically utilized in swamp generation.
    • Pond
      • These will be mirrors of sea tiles.  The reason for the different naming is to allow differentiation between lakes/rivers and the sea.
    • Sand
      • This tile will be used to form beaches and edging around land masses.
  • Boats
    • Raft
      • Currently the plan is to get a single boat type implemented primarily.  Additional water content will be implemented as I go, based on what I feel is needed to complete the features I wish to see with this mod.

I will continue to update this thread with more information as I progress.  My goal is to start working this weekend, and hopefully within a week or so I should have something concrete to showcase.

This project will share many assets with DS:SW as it will save a lot of development time.  I've spoken with Klei regarding the use of DS:SW assets but if it becomes an issue, I'll work on getting together replacement art at such time (either via my own art or community support).

I will likely turn down suggestions to implement DS:SW specific characters, as I feel that they are implemented in other mods and via the API of this project, they will be able to utilize the water aspects of the game.  Other DS:SW features will or will not be implemented according to what I feel is needed to create the type of content I wish to offer with this project.

Look forward to hearing suggestions, feedback, support, etc. from all of you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lumina    2153

I wish you good luck. DST current world with water could be very promising.

I don't remember what the bog are, but will you add mangrove ? Biome when you need a boat but touching earth ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ecu    586
5 hours ago, Vargling said:

Can't wait for this thread to become inactive without so much as a notice.

Appreciate the support.  Especially when you're one of the very people making thread after thread asking people to implement these mechanics.

5 hours ago, Lumina said:

I wish you good luck. DST current world with water could be very promising.

I don't remember what the bog are, but will you add mangrove ? Biome when you need a boat but touching earth ?

Bogs are something that I wanted to do myself, specifically to spice up swamps more.  They would kinda be like mangroves in concept, only spawned as part of swamps.  I'll consider mangroves as well.

1 hour ago, halfrose said:

Hasn't they said before that the DST world generation can't generate islands before? at least it is what I saw on a thread.

Indeed, via the current world generation, I believe islands are difficult/impossible.  I know that water travel itself is definitely possible.  In fact, from discussions with some others in the modding community, water travel should be rather easy to implement.  One of the main challenges will be getting generation to feel good with it.

I am pretty sure some of the biggest things that will delay release of this project will be animations and world generation.  Since DS and DST character animations aren't the same (from my understanding), I will be required to essentially reanimate a lot of the boat related animations.  So that alone will take quite a bit of time.

As for world generation, I am prepared to make as many chances as I need to regarding world generation to make it as flexible as I can.  Of course, I currently don't know how many limitations are tied to the C++ side and how many are the Lua side.  I'll be doing what I can to give as many options as I can and the plan is to API them so that others can use them to implement their own world generation as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serpens    568

For generation of islands please read my post here:

So if you can make it work, please make your solution public, so I can continue working on my adventure mod (making the DS advenutre playable in DST) :) (ah you wrote you will release an api for that, that's great :) )
Of course you and Vargling are also welcome to join my adventure project. It is very much work for one person alone.

Edited by Serpens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lumina    2153
11 hours ago, Ecu said:

Bogs are something that I wanted to do myself, specifically to spice up swamps more.  They would kinda be like mangroves in concept, only spawned as part of swamps.  I'll consider mangroves as well.

Ok, i see. It would be a part of the swamp when the water is so high that you can't walk and need a boat ? Nice idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ecu    586
4 hours ago, Serpens said:

For generation of islands please read my post here:

So if you can make it work, please make your solution public, so I can continue working on my adventure mod (making the DS advenutre playable in DST) :) (ah you wrote you will release an api for that, that's great :) )
Of course you and Vargling are also welcome to join my adventure project. It is very much work for one person alone.

Sorry, but I have zero interest in assisting in the implementation of adventure mode.  Also have zero interest in working with @Vargling.  No offense intended, just not the experience I want out of DST and as such I would rather focus my time on content I do desire.

However, indeed the goal is to eventually create an API to allow this all to be utilized by other mod authors.  Only time will tell what kind of features I can end up making available via said API.  I know that there are a whole lot of quirky things regarding DST's generation system, and at the end I want to work within it's limitations as much as I can to avoid glitchy behavior and such.

2 hours ago, Lumina said:

Ok, i see. It would be a part of the swamp when the water is so high that you can't walk and need a boat ? Nice idea.

Bogs would essentially be lakes/ponds inside the swamp.

 

Edit:

Linking this post in, as it contains more information that may be useful to this project...

 

Edited by Ecu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serpens    568
1 hour ago, Ecu said:

Sorry, but I have zero interest in assisting in the implementation of adventure mode.  Also have zero interest in working with @Vargling.  No offense intended, just not the experience I want out of DST and as such I would rather focus my time on content I do desire.

However, indeed the goal is to eventually create an API to allow this all to be utilized by other mod authors.  Only time will tell what kind of features I can end up making available via said API.  I know that there are a whole lot of quirky things regarding DST's generation system, and at the end I want to work within it's limitations as much as I can to avoid glitchy behavior and such.

no problem :) hope you have success ;)
I only wonder why suddenly at the same time you and vargling are that much interested in making a DST shipwreck mod ? I assumed you are already working together, since it seems you have the same goal :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ecu    586
Just now, Serpens said:

no problem :) hope you have success ;)
I only wonder why suddenly at the same time you and vargling are that much interested in making a DST shipwreck mod ? I assumed you are already working together, since it seems you have the same goal :D

Nope.  I would never work with them and that's where I'll leave that.  

Personally, I really enjoyed boat mechanics in DS:SW and would love to integrate those mechanics into the normal overworld (and maybe even caves).  From my perspective, DS:SW itself would be poor to just flat out port to DST, which is why I intend instead of incorporate various mechanics and extending the idea further (such as bogs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ecu    586

Just popping in to give a short update.  Currently, I haven't gotten much done on this project.

I'm fighting a bit with myself regarding whether or not to sit here and fight with Klei's worldgen system in order to implement the kind of features I desire in DST or just implement my own open source engine in Unity.  Do not wish to turn this thread into a discussion on the merits between the two options, only wanted to let you know what is holding things up right now.

On top of this internal struggle, I've got a few health issues that have been getting worse.  I've reached out to my doctors.

All in all, I still have a strong desire to implement interesting concepts with a DST style engine.  I'll continue to keep you all informed as I work through things and get closer to making a concrete decision.  Stay tuned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serpens    568

seems Kzisor started to work at least on the island thing, maybe also on whole Shipwrecked port, so if I were you I would wait until he finishes his work

edit:
but if you are able to improve modding experience for every modder by improving the engine or whatever, keep on the work :)
And maybe you can contribute to this :

 

Edited by Serpens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ecu    586

Well, @Kzisor, seem like you have beat me to the punch.  Since from what I've read, you intend on also implementing an API for utilizing your system as well and you definitely have more experience with DST modding than I have, I'll leave it to you (heh).

So, I suppose this project (regarding DST) is indeed dead.

Look forward to @Kzisor's implementation.  Seems like it could be a ton of fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this