1 hour ago, DragonMage156 said:

Being set in the future actually makes more sense :)

and I picture a lot of forest scenery with this RP, Idk why. If Europe has a lot of that than I'm fine with it. If not than I'll try to cut back a few trees :p (some people will have to help me out cos I've never been over seas and don't know a thing about Europe (well I do but... not the landscape))

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback. I'll add it to the intro post sometime later.

Of course we've got forests! We've got forests, rivers, lakes, deserts (like the Błędowska Desert in Poland), seas, mountains, caves, crazy politicians, you name it! And more or less accessible as long as you walk for a bit, so excellent for a post-apocalyptic RPG.

Additionally not only can I offer you actual data on geography, history and cultures - I can send you factual photographs you can draw inspiration from. You can make WR stand out through using a less-often-used setting - I and other Europeans out there will gladly help :).

While what @Arlesienne is talking about is really cool, you might wanna take it with moderation @DragonMage156. This is coming from a more casual/abstract rper so there is no doubt that their own opinions will differ from mine, but if you get too invested with particulars and specifics you'll be constantly have to worry about not tripping over the array of things lined up. Not only that, but with ever 110% documented aspect those participating will also have to avoid the same things. Which can easily turn it into something where if you're full attention is not present here, then your bound to trip up, and that can create conflict. Of course, if that is the way you wanna do things, that's your choice.

29 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

While what @Arlesienne is talking about is really cool, you might wanna take it with moderation @DragonMage156. This is coming from a more casual/abstract rper so there is no doubt that their own opinions will differ from mine, but if you get too invested with particulars and specifics you'll be constantly have to worry about not tripping over the array of things lined up. Not only that, but with ever 110% documented aspect those participating will also have to avoid the same things. Which can easily turn it into something where if you're full attention is not present here, then your bound to trip up, and that can create conflict. Of course, if that is the way you wanna do things, that's your choice.

By no means. The framework is there for you, not the other way around. Over time, you learn to measure just the right amount. This is coming from a person heavily invested in GM-ing (my line of work involving Game Studies as well being a variable too), not just playing; as such, I instinctively think of all the backstage work you never see. If you're a lover of the Word, you will be more comfortable in a world you immerse yourself in rather than only begin building as you go; such people tend to notice every shortage of logic and that spoils the experience for them. If you're not, you may or may not take notice. A good world is built on believability within the rules of immersion all interested parties agreed to. A dedicated GM feels obliged to take care of that. HOWEVER, you all have time to see how much you really need. Better to start small-scale since Mage is fresh to the business. In fact a post-apocalyptic adventure may be too daunting. I'd begin with a more enclosed session within a set space so that she doesn't have too many plates spinning. It's worth remembering this is a play-by-forum, not a traditional tabletop. Its rules are much looser.

Do try to avoid falling into the precipice of just jumping straight in though, or you'll spend much time figuring out how the world is supposed to work when you could be storytelling. Have seen great concepts ruined way too many times not to warn Mage.

I honestly beg to differ.  The first RP I started, I jumped right in without even having any clear idea of the plot or how to actually run it.  We made it all the way to the end and had fun doing so.  I've honestly found that spending too much time preparing for an RP can be detrimental, because it takes away the most vital part of them; the player.  They have to feel like they have an actual impact on where the story goes to remain invested, and overplanning all the details completely takes that away. 

7 minutes ago, Battal said:

I honestly beg to differ.  The first RP I started, I jumped right in without even having any clear idea of the plot or how to actually run it.  We made it all the way to the end and had fun doing so.  I've honestly found that spending too much time preparing for an RP can be detrimental, because it takes away the most vital part of them; the player.  They have to feel like they have an actual impact on where the story goes to remain invested, and overplanning all the details completely takes that away. 

That's the trick: YOU need to be involved. Right now nobody can really tell me what to expect. Watching from an outsider's position, I'm itching to see when you're going to start brainstorming. Differentiate between overplanning and having some basics to work with.

When I create an adventure, I start out asking my players what they want. And they answer me in all honesty. Then we continue collaborating on it. So it's much more than bringing a PC to the table.

PS What type of an RPG was it if it's fine to ask?

13 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

By no means. The framework is there for you, not the other way around. Over time, you learn to measure just the right amount. This is coming from a person heavily invested in GM-ing (my line of work involving Game Studies as well being a variable too), not just playing; as such, I instinctively think of all the backstage work you never see. If you're a lover of the Word, you will be more comfortable in a world you immerse yourself in rather than only begin building as you go; such people tend to notice every shortage of logic and that spoils the experience for them. If you're not, you may or may not take notice. A good world is built on believability within the rules of immersion all interested parties agreed to. A dedicated GM feels obliged to take care of that. HOWEVER, you all have time to see how much you really need. Better to start small-scale since Mage is fresh to the business. In fact a post-apocalyptic adventure may be too daunting. I'd begin with a more enclosed session within a set space so that she doesn't have too many plates spinning. It's worth remembering this is a play-by-forum, not a traditional tabletop. Its rules are much looser.

Do try to avoid falling into the precipice of just jumping straight in though, or you'll spend much time figuring out how the world is supposed to work when you could be storytelling. Have seen great concepts ruined way too many times not to warn Mage.

I can kind of understand where you're coming from. I'm sure your experience as a GM is very relevant, but I'm going to assume that you're statement about "backstage things you never see" is open ended. I'm a story-writer and world builder, among other things. I completely understand the importance of setting. Half the background stuff I write doesn't usually even make it in, but it's present so that its all organized and tidy to prevent tripping up along the way.

So you might be confused, considering that's pretty much the opposite of what I stated earlier. The thing is in an rp sense multiple people are writing the story—with differing amount depending on the particular rp. This means, it isn't a single writer who only divulges what is needed to the reader, because nearly every involved is a writer to some level. If this is the case, then every question needs an answer, and everyone needs to know that answer. It's simply not reasonable.

If to get involved in an rp you need to know: the place, the weather, the land formations, the particular dates, the common clothing, the technology used, the yata yata. It simply gets to the point where you're either dedicated or your not. That isn't always a bad thing, but not everybody has that sort of dedication. It makes a simple post about a character commenting on to the weather, into a need to get your facts straight, because the weather is defined. It makes a simple post about a character commenting on anything, into a need to get your facts straight, because everything is defined.

Which again, is good when there is one person managing a story, but it's not a story. It's an rp, and there are multiple parties involved, and when each party can contribute, then each party need to know the structure, and if the structure is too well defined, not all parties will be willing to go to the same length as the organizer.

With a group of friends all ready to take on this burden, then sure it's more reasonable, but when it comes to a public community it's not.

This is of course to the extreme. I was just saying to DM, that while what your saying is important. It's equally as important not to take it too far.

4 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I can kind of understand where you're coming from. I'm sure your experience as a GM is very relevant, but I'm going to assume that you're statement about "backstage things you never see" is open ended. I'm a story-writer and world builder, among other things. I completely understand the importance of setting. Half the background stuff I write doesn't usually even make it in, but it's present so that its all organized and tidy to prevent tripping up along the way.

So you might be confused, considering that's pretty much the opposite of what I stated earlier. The thing is in an rp sense multiple people are writing the story—with differing amount depending on the particular rp. This means, it isn't a single writer who only divulges what is needed to the reader, because nearly every involved is a writer to some level. If this is the case, then every question needs an answer, and everyone needs to know that answer. It's simply not reasonable.

If to get involved in an rp you need to know: the place, the weather, the land formations, the particular dates, the common clothing, the technology used, the yata yata. It simply gets to the point where you're either dedicated or your not. That isn't always a bad thing, but not everybody has that sort of dedication. It makes a simple post about a character commenting on to the weather, into a need to get your facts straight, because the weather is defined. It makes a simple post about a character commenting on anything, into a need to get your facts straight, because everything is defined.

Which again, is good when there is one person managing a story, but it's not a story. It's an rp, and there are multiple parties involved, and when each party can contribute, then each party need to know the structure, and if the structure is too well defined, not all parties will be willing to go to the same length as the organizer.

With a group of friends all ready to take on this burden, then sure it's more reasonable, but when it comes to a public community it's not.

This is of course to the extreme. I was just saying to DM, that while what your saying is important. It's equally as important not to take it too far.

But my entire point is about showing you that for We Remain, you don't need to do half as much work as I have to due to the demands of my group. You are not bound by real time or anything. You just write a collective story through forum posts.

(Or am I mistaken? It's a PBF, not an actual session, say, on Discord?)

It's a very fortunate situation if you ask me. You could even have amnesia and be perfectly excused to have no prior knowledge of the world you live in. It's an enticing concept from the word go. What you need to do is discuss your priorities together. I urge you, do not leave it all on Mage's shoulders. She's going to be occupied enough. And if you don't, it takes half the fun away, doesn't it?

Just roll it out chill style, drop on stuff as you progress and if theres questions about where/what/wut, ask em ;o If I had to imagine, WaW or any of the other rp's made on this forum haven't had any massive industrial padjali shire preparation for it so

And oh isn't this some xinna wonderful! o;

Spoiler

Name: Xinn Eques    

Race: Human          

History (if you want to keep a secret, that's fine.): ISTHISWIPORASECRETIDK

Personality: 

- Rough, brave, cheerful, hard to take seriously, loves lame jokes

Appearance:              

Very large- around 2 meters tall. Dark tan skin colour with blonde hair. Right eye is blind and as a scar running through it.

20161207_005556.jpg

(Will probably make better picca with less unfinishedness) 

Strengths:                                        

She's very large, pretty strong and knows the most gruesome ways around an axe  

Because of her armour and a good base pain tolerance, she's able to take a hit or two.

Weaknesses: 

She's very untactical when it comes to fighting. 

Frustration tends to happen when brute force isn't the way to go.

^Will update this a few times probably with better thingsss balances adds forgets

@Arlesienne and @Zeklo, you're discussions are getting a little too TL;DR. If you would kindly give me a summary and tell me whether I should add more details or not?

3 hours ago, RyanandLink said:

Just roll it out chill style, drop on stuff as you progress and if theres questions about where/what/wut, ask em ;o If I had to imagine, WaW or any of the other rp's made on this forum haven't had any massive industrial padjali shire preparation for it so

And oh isn't this some xinna wonderful! o;

Hide contents

Name: Xinn Eques    

History (if you want to keep a secret, that's fine.): ISTHISWIPORASECRETIDK

Personality: 

- Rough, brave, cheerful, hard to take seriously, loves lame jokes

Appearance:              

Very large- around 2 meters tall. Dark tan skin colour with blonde hair. Right eye is blind and as a scar running through it.

20161207_005556.jpg

(Will probably make better picca with less unfinishedness) 

Strengths:                                        

She's very large, pretty strong and knows the most gruesome ways around an axe  

Because of her armour and a good base pain tolerance, she's able to take a hit or two.

Weaknesses: 

She's very untactical when it comes to fighting. 

Frustration tends to happen when brute force isn't the way to go.

^Will update this a few times probably with better thingsss balances adds forgets

Ooh, a human Undyne in the mix. I like it! :encouragement:

1 hour ago, Chris1488 said:

Oh, dang. How'd I not see this yet?!

Lemme get a feel for the RP and see who'd fit best.

Who knows, I might even recycle Tim from Maxwell's Playground. He didn't get the love he deserved in that RP imo.

That's the guy with the steampunk arm and spider right? You could do that. Maybe even tweak some things? :)

I decided to use Tim! (He's no longer from the 19th century. It wouldn't fit with DM's lore for time travel I assume.)

Spoiler

Name: Tim Finnegan

Race: Human

History (if you want to keep a secret, that's fine.): Tim couldn't care much about the war outside. He liked to keep to himself and his inventions in his tiny, cramped home. That was, until the missiles hit the city, destroying everything he loved and made. He barely made it out, but everything he had was gone. Even his mechanical arm short-circuited, doggoneit. The only thing he managed to save was his WIP invention at the time, a 3 ft tall, hulking spider. After crawling out of the rubble of the city, Tim saw a golden dragon fly overhead, carrying a person. These were the only other people that Tim could find at the time, so he made his way out of the city and started his journey.

Personality: Eccentric, nervous around monsters, inventive

Appearance: 

>20 years old 

>Lanky, 6 ft tall 

>Has scorched, messy, oily black hair 

>Wears a navy blue, buttoned trench coat with a dirty, white t-shirt, black trousers and a pair of steampunk-like goggles resting around his neck

Strengths: 

>Tim invented a mechanical arm for himself after losing his left one after a failed experiment, though many would assume it would be from the war at first. The arm had the ability to unfold into a variety of tools and weapons before the missile struck. Currently, it's useless. It doesn't even function as an arm unless Tim can get ahold of some intact metal and gears.

>Has a WIP mechanical spider, but it still needs some work before it can function, and Tim needs his arm to function to control it.

>Can tinker with scrap metal found to create an assortment of things. 

Weaknesses: 

>Is actually very sensitive about other's opinions on his inventions. Be nice.

>Inventions more than half the time backfire in Tim's face. Stand back while he's working!

>Currently, his mech arm is dead weight. He can't even remove it unless done so by force. It'll hurt.

Etc: Is British

(I was in a rush, I'll probably edit this a bit sometime tomorrow.)

(I ALSO FORGOT THE SPIDER GAAH ILL ADD IT TOMORROW) K, spoder added

The only reason why location would matter (beyond island/shore/mainland) I can think of is to comment on global relations, but even that seems less important, considering how all states destroyed each other.

Also: I think I missed the system part. Is it just "respect each other and post as you see fit, no character control without permission"?

2 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

Also: I think I missed the system part. Is it just "respect each other and post as you see fit, no character control without permission"?

Pretty much. Though I'm contemplating whether to let people add monster surprises/attacks without permission or not. I might catch a Lipton.

6 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

@Arlesienne and @Zeklo, you're discussions are getting a little too TL;DR. If you would kindly give me a summary and tell me whether I should add more details or not?

I don't think you can get a shorter summary than what we gave you here. GM-ing is not simply roleplaying more than one character.

You've got to balance it in accordance to your group and your abilities. My folks are demanding and always ready to exploit any loophole. They're used to Chekhov's gun. If something is in there, it must have meaning, its meaning being "She gave us X, we ought to use it". Yours so far seem much laxer.

Right now, you have the concept. Ask yourself and the players about what they'd like to do. If I know I'm on a tropical island, I know I've got to find water and kindling (to disinfect wounds) first. If a foreigner in an alien city, I head for my embassy first. Traversing swamps obliges me to find something to build a raft. Everything is related. You never have to map everything out - and mapping every route is impossible as your roleplayers will always surprise you - what you need is putting your heads together to have a vague idea of the possibilities to follow. PCs need to be able to have goals.

Do remember this is simply a play-by-forum, not a traditional session. It has its own rules and pace. Said pace is more relaxed, because you're not bound by time of the session like we are; you have all the time in the world to painstakingly write your post. (I also noticed that some of the popular PBFs here have very short posts; au contraire when my friend suggested a little play-by-mail, in under three months, we ended up with a novel, and it's not even halfway to finished). Take advantage of this. What's crucial? Communication and having fun without anyone feeling left out. If you find out you're cut out for a player, first and foremost, it may be worthwhile to see if, say, @Mr.P or @Weirdobob can implement your idea. I can always try to help you when you hit a block as well.

4 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

If you find out you're cut out for a player, first and foremost, it may be worthwhile to see if, say, @Mr.P or @Weirdobob can implement your idea.

The thing to note about these two @DragonMage156, is P ran a Choose Your Own Adventure, and Weirdo is running something more akin to a Game with stats. Both with rp elements, but fundamentally different. These two are also often very busy with their own stuff, and these tend to run slow because of that.

I'm assuming you plan on going with more traditional rp route, but I can't be sure.

13 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

The thing to note about these two @DragonMage156, is P ran a Choose Your Own Adventure, and Weirdo is running something more akin to a Game with stats. Both with rp elements, but fundamentally different. These two are also often very busy with their own stuff, and these tend to run slow because of that.

I'm assuming you plan on going with more traditional rp route, but I can't be sure.

I'm also interested in the details from Mage. Please mention me when they show up.

5 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Yes.

I'll add a few details to the intro post (like new characters and other stuff).

5 hours ago, Dannyrulx said:

Very, very, very tentative interest put forward here. I'm not sure if I'll do it, but the premise looks interesting. I might join properly later, perhaps after Christmas.

Just makes sure your character fits this universe and isn't OP. Also, no character/RP control. That and 4th wall breaking is what got you killed in many other RPs.

Also, I was originally gonna start after Christmas but due to someones excitement to start (and apparently a lot of unfinished business with the setup) it's hard to say when I'll be able to start.

Just now, DragonMage156 said:

Yes but ofcoarse after you're input, I had to hold off until everything's perfect (maybe I should have done a different idea for my first RP so I had some experience to work with -_- )

Mage, nobody is criticising you, people are rooting for you to succeed and only because of that feedback is provided. I hope that's clear.

Application Sheet:

Spoiler

Name: Mandragora

Race: Monster

History (if you want to keep a secret, that's fine.): (Will be revealed as RP goes on)
Personality:  Very impulsive. Also has a bit of a defiant streak. Otherwise, she gets easily excited and curious about the things she doesn’t understand.
Appearance:

http://philothesketched.deviantart.com/art/Lilligant-648719225

She carries a cake cutting knife on her at all times. She stands at a mere 3 feet tall.

Strengths:

-Knows how to wield a cake cutting knife (…for many purposes).

-Can accurately determine the state of soil after careful observation.

-Good at hiding, especially in forest areas and among plants.
Weaknesses:

-Due to having no clothes or garments, she will only be able to carry a single item in her inventory.

-Has no fingers. Her appendages can fold to grasp, but she’ll have trouble with anything that requires complex handling.

-Both as a result of her size and her oddly shaped “feet”, she is a little slower than a human.

Etc: As she is indeed, a plant, Mandragora needs to remain fertilized to keep her steady. If she goes for too long without eating fertilizer (manure, fertile soil, and such) she will gradually lose her cool and turn uncooperative and violent. Also sleeps partially buried in the soil, leaving only her flower exposed to catch the moonlight.

Sleep Powder(Not magical)

Mandragora can release a cloud of bluish-green dust  at  a creature to put it to sleep(so long as the creature in question can indeed sleep). Larger creatures will probably not be sedated completely from one cloud.

55 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

Yes.

I'll add a few details to the intro post (like new characters and other stuff).

Just makes sure your character fits this universe and isn't OP. Also, no character/RP control. That and 4th wall breaking is what got you killed in many other RP's/

B...B...

Muh 4th wall!

(JK.)

*cracks knuckles*

Ok sorry that I took my time halfway through I had a change of heart and used a different character instead so here goes nothing.

Spoiler

Name: Markus “The Hunter”

History (if you want to keep a secret, that's fine.):

After the inevitable fallout that was created after the beast escaped some people took it to themselves to hunt the creatures for different reasons. Fun, the thrill of the hunt or in Markus case revenge.

Having his entire family get killed by the beasts he swore that he will exterminate every last one of them. He accepted that his body would be implanted with heavily experimental implants. Due to that Markus right eye and left arm have been replaced with cybernetic implants ontop of a few minor things like reflex booster to help him hunt the beasts.

Now where his revenge filled way will lead him only fate knows.

Personality: Markus is a loner preferring to work alone. That doesn’t mean he won’t accept help hunting the beasts but he’s more likely to shove people aside to deal with his prey by himself.

He does however massively care for kids and other younger folks going into full on protection mode if children are endangered.

Appearance: Markus is a middle aged man wearing a cloak and combat armor. His right eye and his left arm have been replaced by cybernetic implants helping him on his hunt.

He carries a sword, an assault rifle and an experimental harpoon gun with him using them as weapons against the beasts.

Strengths:

-       Cybernetic Implants: Markus implants help him in multiple ways. His arms increases his strength allowing him to lift and throw things a human would not be able to. His eye allows tactical scanning of the area, heat vision and telescopic view. He also has some minor ones like reflex boosters allowing him to react faster than a normal human if needed.

-       Hunter: Markus knows how to hunt the beasts meaning he knows a thing or two about killing them.

Weaknesses:

-       Experimental: Markus implants might be powerful but also highly experimental and prone to malfunction if not maintained properly.

-       Loner: Markus prefers to hunt alone. He’ll still allows others to join him on his hunts but he prefers to keep his hunts to himself.

For reference I'll be taking a little bit of my own path due to being busy with college. So I decided to do my stuff a bit on my own to not interrupt the pace of the story for the group. Doesn't mean you guys won't clash heads with me from time to time.

Archived