Maybe Walani was meant to be a bad character?

10 hours ago, Donke60 said:

What wouldn't she just be on par with wilson cause she trades the beard perk for a surfboad and an overall reduction to sanity drain. your reasoning doesn't make much sense could you explain more of why you think she is "hard" mode.

Wilson doesn't have cons, and those perks aren't useful.

Walnini surfboard is craft able and you start with it. allowing you to immiedilty explore the islands it also quite fast for a raft and you get sanity from riding waves(she is also the only character that can ride big waves.. she also has the passive perk of Sanity also drains 10% slower from any sources that drain it over time, and she dries faster then other character. So with these perks how does this make her hard mode even if you take her out of her DLC you still get her passive abilities

Walnini is a special character that no one really plays I can see her perks being useful. Just because her perks are more subtle and can't be used to the exent of Wilson's but not every character should not be judged on the merit of Wilson but how they indiviually change the game..

11 hours ago, Donke60 said:

Walnini surfboard is craft able and you start with it. allowing you to immiedilty explore the islands it also quite fast for a raft and you get sanity from riding waves(she is also the only character that can ride big waves.. she also has the passive perk of Sanity also drains 10% slower from any sources that drain it over time, and she dries faster then other character. So with these perks how does this make her hard mode even if you take her out of her DLC you still get her passive abilities

Walnini is a special character that no one really plays I can see her perks being useful. Just because her perks are more subtle and can't be used to the exent of Wilson's but not every character should not be judged on the merit of Wilson but how they indiviually change the game..

Ok but those perks stop being useful after your first hour of playing the game.  
30 less HP and 10% faster hunger drain is way worse than those perks are "good".  The surfboard loses usefulness almost immediately.  
The perks eventually go away, sooner or later.  The disadvantages stay with her.  You could be on day 50 with the same disadvantage while not having a use for the surfboard and if someone thought the 10% sanity was somehow good, then they could be playing Wendy with her 25% slower sanity, but really it's not useful to players that manage sanity.  

The perks don't really exist, maybe if Klei removed her cons she might be played, as it stands her perks don't even mitigate the disadvantages she has.  

She makes the game harder, unless you're playing Wes.  All the other characters make the game easier because they have better perks and their disadvantages are not as bad.

Well maybe her perks do fall of because she is an explortary character but 120 health isn't that bad and 10 percent hunger drain isn't that noticable plus she gets 50 more hunger points. The point i'm trying to make is not that he is as easy to use as wilson which my opinion she is just don't be a sandbag is that she doesn't make the game harder then anybody else excluding Wes.

3 hours ago, 364266_1452783569 said:

The perks eventually go away, sooner or later

Isn't that how it is with most characters unless their perk plays a cruical role like wickerbottom, maxwell,woodie,webber,wigfeid or WX-78 ,wolfgang, granted thats most characters but their perks can fall off just like their disadvantages fail off after you have everything set up and you have a stable base.

no, she is the wilson of DS SW.

Lets talk about wilson for a sec. Wilson's ability helps newer players deal with a problem they could struggle dealing with, which in this case, is winter. (yes, you can use it for revives, but, I see the main purpose as that, to help newer players. kinda hints why he is the first character you get) 

now lets talk about Walani, her abilities helps deal with a problem newer players could struggle with, which in this case, is just simple getting around. She has her downfalls, but they arent that bad.

1 hour ago, Donke60 said:

Well maybe her perks do fall of because she is an explortary character but 120 health isn't that bad and 10 percent hunger drain isn't that noticable plus she gets 50 more hunger points. The point i'm trying to make is not that he is as easy to use as wilson which my opinion she is just don't be a sandbag is that she doesn't make the game harder then anybody else excluding Wes.

Isn't that how it is with most characters unless their perk plays a cruical role like wickerbottom, maxwell,woodie,webber,wigfeid or WX-78 ,wolfgang, granted thats most characters but their perks can fall off just like their disadvantages fail off after you have everything set up and you have a stable base.

How do their perks fall off?  
Wickerbottom always has her books and is capable of doing things the other characters can't when it comes to base building and farming.  She also has a significantly better perk for exploring than walani, she doesn't have to build a science machine..  

Maxwell never loses his sanity, and his perks survive to late game with dark swords & dark armor.. he's definitely late-game efficient, his perk never falls off, it only gets better, because by then you can consistently make tools to benefit from his perks..  

With Webber you will have a spider army that stays with you to late game, even with a stable base, what's wrong with his perks exactly?  They can all still be perfectly viable, there's no better alternative that makes his perks useless.  Even if you have tons of silk, there's many other uses for the beard and taming spiders and so on.  

Wigfrid is going to get better as you get stable with meat though?  She has extra damage, and reduced damage, how exactly does that perk fall off?  Unless you think a stable base means, you beat all the bosses and no longer need to kill anything in the game, then her perk does not ever fall off.  

WX-78's upgrades aren't going anywhere, he gets better as the game goes on, and his movespeed overload perk is amazing when you get a bunch of telelocator staffs to charge you nonstop.  

Wolfgang, come on.  As the game goes on you're going to want to kill bosses, how exactly does his perk fall off?  

The best part is, you say they fall off, when they're still amazing and yet Walani's perks don't only fall off, they become literally useless/pointless to use.  A hour into the game, and if you're experienced then they never become useful.  

30 less life is a lot, that's one less hit she can take.  If it's not a lot to you, then you're clearly a master at this game, and if you are then how exactly are you finding these perks useful.  
You seem to be thinking a scenario where someone did everything there is to be done, if you think the combat perks fall off.  I'm not even thinking that.  I'm thinking past day 1-3 her surfboard loses usefulness.  And her other perks are never useful if the player has an idea.

24 minutes ago, cmitc1 said:

no, she is the wilson of DS SW.

Lets talk about wilson for a sec. Wilson's ability helps newer players deal with a problem they could struggle dealing with, which in this case, is winter. (yes, you can use it for revives, but, I see the main purpose as that, to help newer players. kinda hints why he is the first character you get) 

now lets talk about Walani, her abilities helps deal with a problem newer players could struggle with, which in this case, is just simple getting around. She has her downfalls, but they arent that bad.

30 less life doesn't help new players, and new players are going to struggle with food.  
Lastly you can't say she's for new players when she requires you to survive 100+ days to unlock.

3 minutes ago, 364266_1452783569 said:

30 less life doesn't help new players, and new players are going to struggle with food.

if its only (10%?) faster, its not making a big difference, having less health is a trade off for a good, easy to  to make boat. and isnt having easy methods of keep sanity also something else making up for having less health?

6 minutes ago, 364266_1452783569 said:

How do their perks fall off?  
Wickerbottom always has her books and is capable of doing things the other characters can't when it comes to base building and farming.  She also has a significantly better perk for exploring than walani, she doesn't have to build a science machine..  

Maxwell never loses his sanity, and his perks survive to late game with dark swords & dark armor.. he's definitely late-game efficient, his perk never falls off, it only gets better, because by then you can consistently make tools to benefit from his perks..  

With Webber you will have a spider army that stays with you to late game, even with a stable base, what's wrong with his perks exactly?  They can all still be perfectly viable, there's no better alternative that makes his perks useless.  Even if you have tons of silk, there's many other uses for the beard and taming spiders and so on.  

Wigfrid is going to get better as you get stable with meat though?  She has extra damage, and reduced damage, how exactly does that perk fall off?  Unless you think a stable base means, you beat all the bosses and no longer need to kill anything in the game, then her perk does not ever fall off.  

WX-78's upgrades aren't going anywhere, he gets better as the game goes on, and his movespeed overload perk is amazing when you get a bunch of telelocator staffs to charge you nonstop.  

Wolfgang, come on.  As the game goes on you're going to want to kill bosses, how exactly does his perk fall off?  

The best part is, you say they fall off, when they're still amazing and yet Walani's perks don't only fall off, they become literally useless/pointless to use.  A hour into the game, and if you're experienced then they never become useful.  

30 less life is a lot, that's one less hit she can take.  If it's not a lot to you, then you're clearly a master at this game, and if you are then how exactly are you finding these perks useful.  
You seem to be thinking a scenario where someone did everything there is to be done, if you think the combat perks fall off.  I'm not even thinking that.  I'm thinking past day 1-3 her surfboard loses usefulness.  And her other perks are never useful if the player has an idea.

I use her sufrboard late game, so I guess I am doing something wrong here? to me, its a great perk. Its cheap, and it can get you places at a decent speed. (which is a perk that stays until late game), her ability to have a slower sanity loss, and have a easy method of gaining it is a obvious perk that wont leave.

having a 10% extra hunger rate is not something to freak out about, and 30 less health is really not that bad if you can kite. in fact, i guess you could say that the lower health  encourages newer players to understand bounderies and to prepare for things?

4 hours ago, Donke60 said:

wickerbottom, maxwell,woodie,webber,wigfeid or WX-78 ,wolfgang,

those were my exceptions and i'm not a master at the game its just that I play wes a lot and play the game for a long time to convice me a character is not good in any way you have to try really hard i'm not quick to jump on that character is the worst bandwaggon.

if you think 10 percent is bad try 25 percent now thats bad

The posts are really glitchy, and wouldn't let me delete stuff.  
I said this in the OP " For people who want the game to be harder, but not too hard, they pick Walani."  
You mentioning that you play wes, should make you understand what I'm talking about?  Wes purpose is to make the game harder.  Walani also makes the game harder, she's an in between without having to go all the way with Wes.  The other characters are easier to play, which is the point of this thread.  

You can say Walani is useful all you want, but she doesn't make the game easier like the other characters do.

I think early game she does have a slight edge over all the characters for exploration (except wickerbottom) because of her surfboard.

Then for the first year, when you're struggling to survive, her sanity "resistance" is generally a slight benefit and hitting waves as her gives her decent sanity for exploring.

Really, the only late game element for her is the ability to ride large waves. This might be useful vs Quacken / Sealnado.

The only beef I have with her is the -30hp, but she is probably in my top 5 characters to play in shipwrecked... Though I'll always forever play Wickerbottom.

Archived