[Game Update] - Cute Fuzzy Animals (BETA 195732)

AWWWWW!  All these pictures...  Must...have...kitcoon...And oh, my god, I could never ever hurt a pet, even if they are just pixels. The "I'm hungry" animation...and the fact that the still follow you _after death_...brb, heart breaking.

THAT'S what you have to do to get a broodling?  Wow, that's brutal! :( To get a pet one, you have to kill little Billy the Lavae, by the most cruel method possible to a fire-creature?  Dang, that's kinda dark even by THIS game's standards.  I don't wanna freeze Billy the Lavae!  I won't be able to cook my dinner on his back see his happy frolicking face anymore!

I'm still confused--how does the Queen Bee spawn?  Are she and her warriors/general area a set-piece like the toadstool, or does she just naturally spawn in an area with a lot of beehives after a while, or what...

As for the end tables--I've never managed to get a stagehand to follow me all the way home; they only bug me for a while and then stay in their forest.  I've also never crafted (?) a "normal" end table to put flowers on...or a cartography table...or a potter's wheel...or grown a marble shrub or made a gate or even put together any of the marble clockworks, let alone seen them do anything weird on the new moon I'm so behind

I love the idea of dressing up the scarecrow, though.  Mine is probably gonna end up wearing a lot of tan skirts and red hand covers.  : P

Edit: And yes, Storm, I too can verify that that sounds about EXACTLY what it's like to own (be owned by) a cat.  Completely.  "CAT?  What are you doing, you little weirdo?  Get down from the--NOO...!  No!  Stop that!  Oh, you little devil, how did you even find that, let alone knock it down?  Hff--I leave for two seconds and you've taken my chair."  Yep.  Sounds about right.

Wickerbottom and the kitcoon--yes.  That's pretty much what makes a place feel properly like home to me, too.  :)

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica
  • Like 4

There should be a rock den on the map of my solo world somewhere, but I don't think I can bear re-exploring the entire thing to find it, especially when I can't be positive it's there. I did scan the rocky biome, but no dice and this might be the rare case where I'm willing to use the console to find something. 1) If there's a simpler legit way to locate the rocky den, what is it? 2) if not, how exactly do I invoke the console in DST (since escape doesn't work the way it does in single player) and what command should I use to transport myself to it?

7 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

There should be a rock den on the map of my solo world somewhere, but I don't think I can bear re-exploring the entire thing to find it, especially when I can't be positive it's there. I did scan the rocky biome, but no dice and this might be the rare case where I'm willing to use the console to find something. 1) If there's a simpler legit way to locate the rocky den, what is it? 2) if not, how exactly do I invoke the console in DST (since escape doesn't work the way it does in single player) and what command should I use to transport myself to it?

I know how it feels

c_gonext("critterlab")

thank me 

12 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Thank you! But how do I invoke the console in order to enter that command? 

Ask it kindly

Nah just hit ' (@, could be different on other keyboards, check the options)

Also if its not working, then you might have to hit Ctrl to change it to remote.

Edited by Ashkain

I like to look at the Broodling as that you freeze the lavae pet, then heat it up with the spicy chili, which somehow turns it into the broodling.

Yeah, thats much nicer than you killing it then using it as a sacrifice to summon its older brother.

• Like 2

It also makes a bit more sense.  I mean, sure, Don't Starve uses dark magic sometimes, but I can't recall any other time actual sacrificing like, did something...

(...notwithstanding many players' _wishes_ that it did.  Such as sacrificing pretty flowers to Charlie to get rare drops--nice idea, doesn't work.  : P  If that worked I'd have shadow clothes by now.)

...Notorious

1 hour ago, Ashkain said:

Nah just hit ' (@, could be different on other keyboards, check the options)

Also if its not working, then you might have to hit Ctrl to change it to remote.

On the Mac version it's ` (the accent) rather than ' (single dumb quote). Once I figured that out, it worked great. The rock den *was* on rocky turf, but it was on the rocky turf surrounded by savannah where tall birds and three walrus camps are found.

33 minutes ago, Raven Crow said:

i like to see baby koalaphant , pigmen, bunnymen, depth worm or maybe shadowlings?

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/profile/848109-minespatch/?status=21761&type=status

Been hoping for hunchbeasts to have a growth cycle similar to Beefalo in a long while. It would help make their societies feel like they have a sense of history.

• Like 3

I had an idea for the shadow atrium,what if you could use it at the rock den to make a shadow pet and make my dream of a cute little friendly terrorbeak true?

I have seen more people asking for a shadow pet,so maybe it could be crafteable with 4 nightmare fuels and the atrium,that way we have a use to it until they decide to add a better one (for now i am sure it will be something for the last update,something related to charlie)

Kinda hard to craft,but just look at the broodlin recipe which is something that is 50% dropable and also you need to grow it.

Edited by Wexton
  • Like 1

Lots of people asking for shadow pets. I doubt that will ever happen. If you look into the lore of DS/T you find that They appear to be intelligent and malevolent. Unless you're on the throne, having one of Them as a pet wouldn't seem to fit well. Now normal pets that were corrupted by the shadows... now that could fit. But I can't see any of Them actually being pets.

• Like 4

You know what could be a neat feature?

If the critters dropped a related item every few days. Would make the high cost for some of them worth it (You know, if having an adorable tiny animal isn't enough of a reward for you).

Maybe every 6-9 days your pet drops an item?

Kittycoon could drop something from the Catcoon's Gift table because they're just as prone to eating anything as an adult.

Vargling could drop a Hound's Tooth because they're teething from growing.

Ewelet could drop a Steel Wool because they're shedding fur from growing.

Broodling could drop Scales because they're shedding skin from growing.

Glomglom could drop Glommer's Goop because it's just a tinier Glommer.

It would work out great because the requirements to make some of the more difficult pets could pay off (Especially with how hard it is to get a Lavae for the Broodling).

Edited by BOSSzombie
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, BOSSzombie said:

You know what could be a neat feature?

If the critters dropped a related item every few days. Would make the high cost for some of them worth it (You know, if having an adorable tiny animal isn't enough of a reward for you).

Maybe every 6-9 days your pet drops an item?

Kittycoon could drop something from the Catcoon's Gift table because they're just as prone to eating anything as an adult.

Vargling could drop a Hound's Tooth because they're teething from growing.

Ewelet could drop a Steel Wool because they're shedding fur from growing.

Broodling could drop Scales because they're shedding skin from growing.

Glomglom could drop Glommer's Goop because it's just a tinier Glommer.

It would work out great because the requirements to make some of the more difficult pets could pay off (Especially with how hard it is to get a Lavae for the Broodling).

Scales? That is quiet the overkill.

Just now, HeilerderWelten said:

Scales? That is quiet the overkill.

Is it though? Because not only do you have to kill a Dragonfly in order to get a Lavae Egg, you have to get lucky when killing a Dragonfly in order to get the Lavae Egg (It's not a guaranteed drop).

Requiring a Lavae to make a Broodling makes me feel like it's not outrageous at all for it drop a single Scales item every week so.

And it's not like Scales are the only reason to kill Dragonflies anymore, what with the Scaled Furnace Blueprint now being in game. All that having Scales drop a little easier does is let you make more Scaled Chests/Floors/Armor.

• Like 1

Yeah...I'm not feeling the shadow-pet vibe, either.  I don't think EVERY creature in the game should have a potential pet version, especially not the ones that symbolise your very mind tearing itself apart from the horror, the constant danger, the _endless bleak loneliness_ (in singleplayer)...no.

Cute puppy versions of hounds that normally want to eat you yes...adorable fluffy pieces of the fear of darkness itself...Idunthinkso.

I agree on BossZombie's idea, though.   I suck at killing Dragonflies and it's hard to get enough scales to like, actually _do_ anything with them, it would be amazing to finally HAVE some.  Like, at all.  Besides, I imagine the drop rate for the scales from a broodling would be way, way slower than, say, catcoon hairball-objects.  If this did happen, I would assume the drop rates of the materials from each pet type would be proportionate to how difficult it is to get said pet in the first place/the normal rarity of said item in the game.

...Notorious

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Yeah...I'm not feeling the shadow-pet vibe, either.  I don't think EVERY creature in the game should have a potential pet version, especially not the ones that symbolise your very mind tearing itself apart from the horror, the constant danger, the _endless bleak loneliness_ (in singleplayer)...no.

Cute puppy versions of hounds that normally want to eat you yes...adorable fluffy pieces of the fear of darkness itself...Idunthinkso.

I agree on BossZombie's idea, though.   I suck at killing Dragonflies and it's hard to get enough scales to like, actually _do_ anything with them, it would be amazing to finally HAVE some.  Like, at all.  Besides, I imagine the drop rate for the scales from a broodling would be way, way slower than, say, catcoon hairball-objects.  If this did happen, I would assume the drop rates of the materials from each pet type would be proportionate to how difficult it is to get said pet in the first place/the normal rarity of said item in the game.

...Notorious

You mean a system like the buddy feature in Pokemon Go: Walk (X) units alongside your pet and get (Y) items?

• Like 2