These Hallowed Nights

3 hours ago, MeingroessterFan said:

Wow, Wilson. There's being in denial, and then there's.... that.

Years ago he had thought that building a mysterious portal using black magic (there was some magic and sacrifice involved *cough* those white mice *cough*, I'm sure, these parts wouldn't levitate otherwise) and his own blood as the catalyst was not only a good idea, but one utterly and completely grounded in the realm of science.Not to mention that he had all the nessessary things to build it in his house. I blame the illum mysterious family lineage. Maybe his grandparents were dark wizards'n'witches or... no, brain, stahp.

This man... is certainly something. Denial level over 9000 indeed. *makes the cuckoo sign*

Uh-oh, and now I have imagined a 1920s Harry Potter AU.
"You are a wizard, Wilson!"
"I am certainly not! I am a scientist!" 
"Well, strange things happen around you all the time, right?"
"That was science! Experiments! Totally logical!"
"But..."
"SCIENCE!"

(No Hagrid accent because he wouldn't be the one to pick our 11-year old gentleboy scientist up. Cause timeline.)

2 hours ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

Hmm, time for me to get a bit depressing. I love the update, and it's so fun, but I can't help but wonder if this is happening because Charlie is setting up for something really bad.

She's giving them one final fling for fun, and then she's planning something.

image.png

I don't even wanna think about that ;-;

NetSpectre...HA!  I've always thought that too, about Wilson.  I mean, he doesn't even start to _question_ whether "this is science anymore" in-game until you get to the SHADOW MANIPULATOR. What.  : P

...as for 1920s Harry Potter AU...hmmm...

...the trailer for "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" takes place in the '20s...

..._in America_, not the British Isles...

...with old-fashioned outfits, music, etc...

...and magic...

Guess where my brain almost immediately went.  :D

AAAAANNNNDDD, the Codex Umbra could be a case of a magical artifact getting loose in the muggle world and somehow they didn't manage to recover it (how is up to you, with something that big I'm guessing probably murder and major cover-ups were involved) and a mere muggle (William Carter) managed to do real magic with it* but didn't know what he was doing so it caused a disaster that pulled him and Charlie into a pocket-dimension rift and OH GOD HELP ME.

...Notorious

*And yes, I know the Harry Potter universe doesn't work that way--you either are a wizard (born to a magical family or not) or you aren't (same deal).  You either fully CAN do spells or fully can't; there don't seem to be any almosts or kindas or in-betweens.  Like, someone who can _sense_ magical stuff but not DO any magic, or somebody with latent power that doesn't actually manifest until one life-threatening day as an _adult_.  (Which is kind of a shame.)  So...say that Maxwell had a bit of wizarding blood in his ancestry, if you must.  Maybe he's from a not-magical (anymore) branch of a magical family that--scandal! kept marrying muggles.

Charlie got her shadow powers by _becoming_ the shadows (unwillingly).  Kinda.

7 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

...as for 1920s Harry Potter AU...hmmm...
...the trailer for "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" takes place in the '20s...
..._in America_, not the British Isles...
...with old-fashioned outfits, music, etc...
...and magic...
Guess where my brain almost immediately went.  :D

Here's a bit more of fun:
I actually headcanon Wilson as a Brit (what the heck is he doing in America then? oh, there is a good reason, but for that later). So, from my perspective he would be able to get to Hogwarts.

Now, timeline shenanigans:
By 1921 Wilson is in his 30s. I like to think that he was exactly 30. Using this as our reference, we get:

1891 - Wilson is born. Since he likes to deny the existence of magic so much... he is definitely not a pureblood, but since there is a crapton of dark artifacts in his [old'n'familial] American house... he is a half-blood. Yep, think back to the Eileen Prince situation. Only his mother married a muggle aristocrate. She clearly had better taste. Since Wilson is ignorant about magic, let's say that his mum died when he was very little, his dad remarried, this time a muggle lady from the high society, and either didn't know about magic or chose to conceal its existence from his son, because he has an image to uphold and doesn't want to alienate his new wife. 

1902 - 11-year-old Wilson is dragged into Hogwarts, denying magic all the way. The Sorting Hat sticks him into Slytherin. I debated whether to put him into Ravenclaw instead, seeing as he adores science and knowledge (which, as we know, will bite him in the ass later), but to me it always seemed that Wilson hungers for knowledge not for the sake of knowledge itself, but because he wants power that it gives and quite possibly the fame as well. He is an ambitious little snake, so to the Snakes he goes.

1906 - Wilson is 15 years old. William and Charlie get sucked into the Don't Starve world. The "crazy stuff" (undoubtedly magical in nature) we still don't know about happens. Wilson gets interested and starts nosing around. I also like to think that he knew Charlie at some point (just look how much they both are happy to see each other in the New Reign), so her dissapearance also plays into his interest. He continues to search even after he graduates from Hogwarts in 1909, and manages to connect the "crazy stuff" to the following wave of 1910-1920 dissapearances as well. 

Somewhere near 1920, let's say 1919, Wilson's muggle family kicks him out, because they cannot handle a lone fre I mean wizard in their house. His father still loves him and does so solely due to the pressure from everyone else, so he arranges for remittance (a remittance man is a historic term for an emigrant, often from Britain to the colony, supported by the regular payments from home, with the expectation that he'll stay away - boom, here's our reason), sending Wilson off to America, so that he'll stay as far away (and safe) from the rest of the family. Wilson settles into the old famillial cottage that belongs to his mother's family (which is quite possibly gone\died out by that time) and is chock full of the dark magic trinkets, perfect for building evil interdimensional portals like an idiot. Now holed up in the cottage, he continues his obsessive research.

1921 - The You-Know- I mean the Dark- I mean Maxwell tracks Wilson down and offers to lead him to all the answers and knowledge he so desires. In truth he wants to snatch him away because he is nosing around and possibly knows too much... and he makes for a perfect candidate for the Throne due to his lineage.

And thus, the Don't Starve begins.

Damn you, brain. I also listened to the Ragtime while I typed this thing, so I blame Maxwell.

Archived