[DST] Alternate summer giant?

As a long time DS player, it appears to me that summer seems to be a lot easier in multiplayer if you do not intend to go to Dragonfly's Arena because there is no summer giant present.
In single player, summer can be absolute hell for you if the Dragonfly spawns near your camp and burn everything to crisp. Shouldn't Klei add an alternate summer giant to replace the dragonfly?

6 hours ago, TomCleisis said:

Wait, the dragonfly spawns in summer while you are in single player?! Wow, summer is pretty annoying even without the dragonfly :D

It just getting alot Hot´er :lennyface:

and yeah DST should get a real main Summer Boss added and putting Dragonfly in the state as a pure alternate Raid Boss in DST.
Now with the new Reign adding i would maybe making something Charlie / New Reign related stuff ? Brainstorming something with a Marble Giant theme spawning at fullmoon Sommernights ? idk im bad @ brainstorming forgive me.

Greetings

TomCleisis--Yep, she spawns right near you at some point in the summer in singleplayer.  In Reign of Giants, it's set up so EVERY season has a giant that comes and says hello--whether you want them to or not!  Fortunately, however, the Dragonfly in singleplayer (a) has WAY lower hitpoints than the Together version (b) does not produce lavae and (c) goes to sleep after she eats 10 piles of ash (similar to the Bearger with honey). 

So it's way more manageable than if Big Mama Raid Boss Queen of the Desert showed up knocking at your non-existent door.  (Or in my case, my middle-of-the-wilderness's door, 'cos I do a lot of exploring/gathering away from the base regardless of season.)

...but you're right, either way summer is obnoxious enough already.  : P

...Notorious

38 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

TomCleisis--Yep, she spawns right near you at some point in the summer in singleplayer.  In Reign of Giants, it's set up so EVERY season has a giant that comes and says hello--whether you want them to or not!  Fortunately, however, the Dragonfly in singleplayer (a) has WAY lower hitpoints than the Together version (b) does not produce lavae and (c) goes to sleep after she eats 10 piles of ash (similar to the Bearger with honey). 

So it's way more manageable than if Big Mama Raid Boss Queen of the Desert showed up knocking at your non-existent door.  (Or in my case, my middle-of-the-wilderness's door, 'cos I do a lot of exploring/gathering away from the base regardless of season.)

...but you're right, either way summer is obnoxious enough already.  : P

...Notorious

On top of this in singleplayer she just drops 1 scale and meat, and she goes enraged right when hit.

So much less tough, but also much less rewarding. Lavae egg in singleplayer when

I think it was confirmed we'll get a new Summer giant for DST though. Not sure if it's been abandoned.

12 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

On top of this in singleplayer she just drops 1 scale and meat, and she goes enraged right when hit.

So much less tough, but also much less rewarding. Lavae egg in singleplayer when

I think it was confirmed we'll get a new Summer giant for DST though. Not sure if it's been abandoned.

@Fidooop and Unnatural Selection? I find summer inherently boring, to be honest, and just go raid the ruins during the time.

11 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Same. SW raiding works too if you're singleplayer, but summer is ideal for ruins raiding, even more in DST.

Ditto. A bit of Goose fighting in spring plus farming if other folks have farms (I rarely bother, instead pushing racks and apiaries... horrible, I know) and then underground we go. It's because the only real fear of summer as it is now consists of a mixture of heat and fires breaking out, particularly from fire hounds.

11 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

Ditto. A bit of Goose fighting in spring plus farming if other folks have farms (I rarely bother, instead pushing racks and apiaries... horrible, I know) and then underground we go. It's because the only real fear of summer as it is now consists of a mixture of heat and fires breaking out, particularly from fire hounds.

It's not as much fear as much as it is no reason to be up. Just tending to base is fine, but summer only offers an ok oppurtunity to tame a beef(just because it's one of the seasons they're not hostile and its boring enough for that to be an appealing enough thing to do) and cactus flowers. Winter is similar but you're still setting up in your first and other than that its an oppurtunity to mass farm eggs/black feathers/ice, which all also last for more than the flowers and have more uses.

Well summer only "special" apart from the heat and things catching fire is - cactus flower witch is only used to combat the heat so ... nothing useful for the next seasons ... It's really bad the way it is at the moment , to tell the truth every summer I go caves (or just remove summer) . It needs more than just a new boss ... It's like winter but with nothing to do ... you are forced to stay near a cold fire and have a ice flingomatic in your camp ... If you go somewhere you will overheat (without items) or things around you will burn , then again you don't have where to go now do you ? There is nothing special that you can gain during summer that you can't the other seasons . So yea it's better to go in caves . 

12 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

It's not as much fear as much as it is no reason to be up. Just tending to base is fine, but summer only offers an ok oppurtunity to tame a beef(just because it's one of the seasons they're not hostile and its boring enough for that to be an appealing enough thing to do) and cactus flowers. Winter is similar but you're still setting up in your first and other than that its an oppurtunity to mass farm eggs/black feathers/ice, which all also last for more than the flowers and have more uses.

I like winter, actually. I go hunt walruses then (and when the October update hit, I rolled a world with the buggers set to more... I didn't die to them, but others had a Little Moment with them) and prepare for the deer. Summer... summer is rather subpar right now, I'm sorry. I happily use it as cave time.

56 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

I like winter, actually. I go hunt walruses then (and when the October update hit, I rolled a world with the buggers set to more... I didn't die to them, but others had a Little Moment with them) and prepare for the deer. Summer... summer is rather subpar right now, I'm sorry. I happily use it as cave time.

I forgot about Mactusk, dammit. I use summer as cave/sw time. I wish we had some special things in it. In fact I don't think an alternate giant would make it much more interesting if at all. It just needs more things to do.

11 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

I forgot about Mactusk, dammit. I use summer as cave/sw time. I wish we had some special things in it. In fact I don't think an alternate giant would make it much more interesting if at all. It just needs more things to do.

Personally, although there is no chance for this as coding is so complicated, I would have water covering some area and drying out in summer to allow passage (uncovering loot and monsters along). That's just one idea.

11 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

Personally, although there is no chance for this as coding is so complicated, I would have water covering some area and drying out in summer to allow passage (uncovering loot and monsters along). That's just one idea.

That would actually be pretty cool.

Ooh...!  That would kick arse!  I love things like that, where it opens up depending on the time of day/year/weather, etc.  Like an underwater cave that is only accessible from the surface at low tide, or--an actual example--in "Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town" there was a cave you could only reach in winter, when the lake froze over.

Seriously, I'd explore the hell out of a place like that in Don't Starve.  Especially if it happened in dreary, boring summer.

...Notorious

5 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Ooh...!  That would kick arse!  I love things like that, where it opens up depending on the time of day/year/weather, etc.  Like an underwater cave that is only accessible from the surface at low tide, or--an actual example--in "Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town" there was a cave you could only reach in winter, when the lake froze over.

Seriously, I'd explore the hell out of a place like that in Don't Starve.  Especially if it happened in dreary, boring summer.

...Notorious

If anyone wants to use my idea for a mod, just contact me so I can expand on it :). Some concepts which will never see the light of day in DST...

Small bodies of water, either streams or ponds, which you can wade into (to some extent, as getting too deep without a raft will initate drowning), can be found in some areas (thinking about the forests near swamps, first and foremost, and those boring spider-infested forests). They can cool you off, like a moon-caller's staff being a two-edged blade as you can lose sanity and health if swimming for too long during certain seasons. Summer lets you swim safely the longest. Spring and autumn can easily make you catch a cold, which is like SW's poisoning, only milder, and treated with a lot of items (like hot chili and honey, ratatouille and sleeping). Sneezing can knock items out of your grasp along a comical sound. Pigs and bunnymen don't follow when you're sick. If you ignore losing 1 HP every X seconds, you will eventually (after a week?) get better.

Swimming is also accounted for sanity. When above 75%, the character, unless engaged, will leave the water before health starts dropping. Insane characters will ignore the risk (and bear the consequences). Like sleeping, swimming makes you lose hunger (though at a different rate, I guess). There's a small chance to be assaulted by a leech (to balance the fact you don't have to craft your pool) and lose health (sanity too?). Leeches can be caught in special traps to be used as passive weapons a la toothtraps and beemines.

Only in summer, special big areas which you can't access otherwise open up as excess water dries, Maybe a new cave with dedicated loot and enemies? Perhaps something like another biome where the Ancients used to live? If the caves were once the surface that sank in the earth (otherwise, how did all these forests etc. get there?), we could see another village (a sanctuary, maybe?) that was flooded.

28 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

If anyone wants to use my idea for a mod, just contact me so I can expand on it :). Some concepts which will never see the light of day in DST...

Small bodies of water, either streams or ponds, which you can wade into (to some extent, as getting too deep without a raft will initate drowning), can be found in some areas (thinking about the forests near swamps, first and foremost, and those boring spider-infested forests). They can cool you off, like a moon-caller's staff being a two-edged blade as you can lose sanity and health if swimming for too long during certain seasons. Summer lets you swim safely the longest. Spring and autumn can easily make you catch a cold, which is like SW's poisoning, only milder, and treated with a lot of items (like hot chili and honey, ratatouille and sleeping). Sneezing can knock items out of your grasp along a comical sound. Pigs and bunnymen don't follow when you're sick. If you ignore losing 1 HP every X seconds, you will eventually (after a week?) get better.

Swimming is also accounted for sanity. When above 75%, the character, unless engaged, will leave the water before health starts dropping. Insane characters will ignore the risk (and bear the consequences). Like sleeping, swimming makes you lose hunger (though at a different rate, I guess). There's a small chance to be assaulted by a leech (to balance the fact you don't have to craft your pool) and lose health (sanity too?). Leeches can be caught in special traps to be used as passive weapons a la toothtraps and beemines.

Only in summer, special big areas which you can't access otherwise open up as excess water dries, Maybe a new cave with dedicated loot and enemies? Perhaps something like another biome where the Ancients used to live? If the caves were once the surface that sank in the earth (otherwise, how did all these forests etc. get there?), we could see another village (a sanctuary, maybe?) that was flooded.

Anything like this would be fantastic, because otherwise, summer is so incredibly boring and like others, I just use the caves if need be to do something other than just sit there at camp, twiddling my thumbs and tending to the gardens (to be honest, my favourite seasons are Autumn and Winter).

Also a place where the Ancients might have lived opening gives me some serious Lovecraftian vibes and I love it

11 minutes ago, Tainted-Petals said:

(to be honest, my favourite seasons are Autumn and Winter)

*issues some very hermetic highfive*

I'm just thinking out loud here, to be honest. Because I'm a semi-nomad, moving around with small bases here and there for emergency, and farming bores the heck out of me, sadly.

Maybe I should try to play Winnie as she can't eat anything non-vegetarian.

*Summer begins, with its sun and heat and fires and ugh.*
*Everyone hides in the caves, where it's dark and cool and nice.*
*Don't Starve community is made of vampires confirmed.*
*Yes, I do this too.*

(A minute of reminiscing: when the Caves were first introduced long time ago, I've decided that they were brilliant and awesome and I will live there forever and always. It didn't work as well as I'd hoped. Ah, first times, first deaths.)
(Farming is a bore and I never bothered with it. Ever.)

12 minutes ago, Net Spectre said:

*Summer begins, with its sun and heat and fires and ugh.*
*Everyone hides in the caves, where it's dark and cool and nice.*
*Don't Starve community is made of vampires confirmed.*
*Yes, I do this too.*

(A minute of reminiscing: when the Caves were first introduced long time ago, I've decided that they were brilliant and awesome and I will live there forever and always. It didn't work as well as I'd hoped. Ah, first times, first deaths.)
(Farming is a bore and I never bothered with it. Ever.)

Exactly. Call it cheap on my side, but the orange overlay alone is hard enough on my eyes to send me running into the caves.

EVEN AS WOLFGANG.

Just now, Arlesienne said:

Exactly. Call it cheap on my side, but the orange overlay alone is hard enough on my eyes to send me running into the caves.

EVEN AS WOLFGANG.

"Evil daystar burns my mighty eyes! Need to hide!"

I've used to dream about buiding a thriving cave base someday. Just a mere thought about taking little trips outside when dusk falls and returning back to the save haven of the cave by the time sun comes filled me with excitement.
Plus I thought the cave base fitted Wilson a lot, seeing as he basically lived holed up in the dark house, all pale and shadow-eyed by the time Maxwell forcibly dragged him outside to get some sunlight already, dangit. I bet he is allergic to the stuff, too.
(Sun allergy is horrible)
After I had suffered through my first summer, and first immolation by the Dragonfly, the dream turned into the obsession.
I don't have as much time to starve as I used to (and I still need to practice my survival skills), but someday... someday...

12 minutes ago, Net Spectre said:

"Evil daystar burns my mighty eyes! Need to hide!"

I've used to dream about buiding a thriving cave base someday. Just a mere thought about taking little trips outside when dusk falls and returning back to the save haven of the cave by the time sun comes filled me with excitement.
Plus I thought the cave base fitted Wilson a lot, seeing as he basically lived holed up in the dark house, all pale and shadow-eyed by the time Maxwell forcibly dragged him outside to get some sunlight already, dangit. I bet he is allergic to the stuff, too.
(Sun allergy is horrible)
After I had suffered through my first summer, and first immolation by the Dragonfly, the dream turned into the obsession.
I don't have as much time to starve as I used to (and I still need to practice my survival skills), but someday... someday...

Hey, come visit one of the servers of mine then, like The Toad Must Die! - I love cave bases :D! Your insight on Wilson agrees with me to the last letter. Very witty too.

For long-term cave survival, there are characters better-suited to the task: thinking a team of Maxwell, Wendy, Willow and Woodie, actually. Wigfrid, Wolfgang, Wes and Webber, on the other hand, are ill-suited to this (as always, doable, not too worth it). Wickerbottom has a big sanity pool, yet can't sleep and relies on fresh crockpot food (also, noticeably less prototypes to gain sanity from). Wilson's in the middle as always (his survivor head fits the snobbish vamp look, though :twisted:), WX is very good after getting 15 gears.

So, yes, let's try that!

Just now, Arlesienne said:

Hey, come visit one of the servers of mine then, like The Toad Must Die! - I love cave bases :D! Your insight on Wilson agrees with me to the last letter. Very witty too.

For long-term cave survival, there are characters better-suited to the task: thinking a team of Maxwell, Wendy, Willow and Woodie, actually. Wigfrid, Wolfgang, Wes and Webber, on the other hand, are ill-suited to this (as always, doable, not too worth it). Wickerbottom has a big sanity pool, yet can't sleep and relies on fresh crockpot food (also, noticeably less prototypes to gain sanity from). Wilson's in the middle as always (his survivor head fits the snobbish vamp look, though :twisted:), WX is very good after getting 15 gears.

So, yes, let's try that!

Aw, I would love to, but I'm garbage at teamwork and allergic to the multiplayer (even more than to the sun, I will happity bear the itch and burn and bleeding skin rather than suffer the anxiety shock that comes with playing with another person). Still never tried DST for this exact reason, even despite the fact that I got it ages ago for free for being an oldass nosferatu. Also, I feel that my skills have degraded from not starving for too long and I'm unfit and need to train in the singleplayer.

And because I'm an oldass nosferatu who was around since beta, I stubbornly main Wilson despite the fact that he is the middle of the road and I have all the characters unlocked sans the Shipwrecked gang because I don't have Shipwrecked. Because he was the first and I care.
*Yes, I have raged at the exit screen message change in the "All Well That Is Maxwell"*
*too lazy to search for Raven's comic regarding the issue*

Archived