Ambarina's Artsy Stuff

Ambarina

Since I'm a afan of both the Guardians of the Galaxy (pre-Bendis) and Steven Universe, I decided to draw the 2008 Guardians team members as gems. Emulating Rebecca Sugar's style is fun.

I'll post the colored versions once I finish them. 

gems110012017.jpg

gems210012017.jpg

gems310012017.jpg

gems410012017.jpg

gems510012017.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Nice work keeping the skin tones complementary to their gem type. The choice of background also helps make the characters pop out.

Thank you very much! I chose a dark background to contrast. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

I remember the girl with the lion but not the merboy or the aged fairy. Those are impressive!

Thank you very much! The first one was my first pciture colored with photoshop, the aged fairy was fun to do, I got inspired by Granny Weatherwax from Discworld. 

1 hour ago, Donke60 said:

Glad to have you post again

the second and third picture are my favorite

Thank you! ^^

• Like 2

If I could do a proper critique, you might want to make the back heel of the feet lift up to give a reference to how rabbits stand on fours. I suggest looking up werewolf tutorials for reference. IT'll make the feet look less fat.

Is the light blue coloring on purpose are did the burnishing dull the dark colors? Please understand, I'm just curious.

To improve the lineart, you might want to use a ballpoint pen or something similar to make the lineart pop up. Scanners have a hard time picking up pencil marks unless you use a digital editing software to make the lineart leveled to the point that it fits what you see on the paper.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, minespatch said:

If I could do a proper critique, you might want to make the back heel of the feet lift up to give a reference to how rabbits stand on fours. I suggest looking up werewolf tutorials for reference. IT'll make the feet look less fat.

Is the light blue coloring on purpose are did the burnishing dull the dark colors? Please understand, I'm just curious.

To improve the lineart, you might want to use a ballpoint pen or something similar to make the lineart pop up. Scanners have a hard time picking up pencil marks unless you use a digital editing software to make the lineart leveled to the point that it fits what you see on the paper.

Thanks for the critique! Yeah, drawing feet (human or animal) is hard.

I tried using a lighter color, mainly to experiment. Do you think it looks better darker or lighter?

I used ink markers, my lineart is usually thin. This time I didn't use the editing tool tho.

• Like 1

If you could make the colors a bit more saturated, that'll help maintain the original dark color while carrying over the soft touch. Lot of shows like Steven Universe,Gravity Falls, and MLP use saturated colors instead of bright since it helps the viewer gaze on in comfort.

Ah, okay, sorry for me assuming the linework.

• Like 1

Evening, here, I heard art (thanks for the tip, @minespatch) and lurched here, happy to find another subject to stalk follow and support in this worthy endeavour. I see you've got animal drawings, @Ambarina, I'm enjoying the thread. My money is on the squirrel.

But pray tell, a little bird told me you also write. Is there something you could use a willing ear for? I'd be happy to help.

Edited by Arlesienne
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

Evening, here, I heard art (thanks for the tip, @minespatch) and lurched here, happy to find another subject to stalk follow and support in this worthy endeavour. I see you've got animal drawings, @Ambarina, I'm enjoying the thread. My money is on the squirrel.

But pray tell, a little bird told me you also write. Is there something you could use a willing ear for? I'd be happy to help.

Thank you very much! ^^ 

I....kiiiinda write? I have a story I've been working on for years, in comic book form, but I'm too lazy to continue it, despite having it almost entirely planned out.

On a different note, I've been writing fanfiction, but my subject of writing causes me more trouble than ideas. I chose a super-mega-obscure character, originally for shipping reasons, but now because I want to save her from her bad narrative. At first I used her for RPing (since 2014) but now I've been writing her in fanfiction too. 

Any help is appreciated. Thank you again!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ambarina said:

Thank you very much! ^^ 

I....kiiiinda write? I have a story I've been working on for years, in comic book form, but I'm too lazy to continue it, despite having it almost entirely planned out.

On a different note, I've been writing fanfiction, but my subject of writing causes me more trouble than ideas. I chose a super-mega-obscure character, originally for shipping reasons, but now because I want to save her from her bad narrative. At first I used her for RPing (since 2014) but now I've been writing her in fanfiction too. 

Any help is appreciated. Thank you again!

If only I can be of service, please allow me. As far as game fanfiction goes, I'm comfortable with Dragon Age, The Dark Eye (always!), Thief and Don't Starve (+ Together, of course), however luckily I should be able to be of some use in other fandoms too since the basic principles remain the same. And roleplaying games are always welcome :). I don't know what form of contact you'd like, the forum PMs are a bit limited, but I've got Steam, Discord, DA.

Just now, minespatch said:

Great to see both of you finding each other. Both of you know how to write, so good luck on both of your endeavors.

The pleasure is mine, Mines! You know it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

If only I can be of service, please allow me. As far as game fanfiction goes, I'm comfortable with Dragon Age, The Dark Eye (always!), Thief and Don't Starve (+ Together, of course), however luckily I should be able to be of some use in other fandoms too since the basic principles remain the same. And roleplaying games are always welcome :). I don't know what form of contact you'd like, the forum PMs are a bit limited, but I've got Steam, Discord, DA.

The pleasure is mine, Mines! You know it.

I'm in none of those, though I'm considering playing Don't Starve (I know, I know...). I have a dA, my name is Violeta960, and I'm Ambarina90 on Steam. 

Thanks again!

• Like 2