minespatch    56,271

I hope Wilson gets to play with a Joltik in the future. Those electric spiders are adorable.

I definitely need to do a tribute to this thread.

• Like 1

Storm137    918
13 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I hope Wilson gets to play with a Joltik in the future. Those electric spiders are adorable.

I definitely need to do a tribute to this thread.

Oh he'll get a chance to meet many more Pokemon. :) I love Joltiks too... And he does love baby Pokemon of ALL kinds.

Please do! I'd be honored!

• Like 1

Storm137    918

The Past and the Present

As the days went on, Willow kept coming back and working with Wilson… And finding herself growing closer to the man as time went on.

It wasn’t a rare sight to find them sitting on the cliffside, enjoying lunch from a well earned break, or taking a walk off property.

“So… why do they call you The Firestarter?” Wilson asked one afternoon over a lunch of sandwiches and freshly brewed tea.

Willow tore off a chunk of hers, feeding it to the flareon seated on her lap. “I specialize in fire type pokemon… And… there was an incident when I was about ten…”

“Oh?”

“Well… When I went to battle the Celadon Gym in Kanto after I got bored of Kalos… I didn’t warn the gym leader of what type I was using.”

“Smart strategy.” At the look Willow gave him, he shrugged. “What? You never tell what you're using.”

“It was a grass gym. The battlefield was a garden. My fennekin had already evolved into braixen at that point and well…” Willow brought both her hands together before moving them apart, quickly making a mock explosion sound.

Wilson covered his mouth, trying not to laugh. “You… Set the gym… ON FIRE!? That explains it! I heard your name in the paper!”

“Shut up!”

“N-No continue. What happened next? No pokemon hurt I hope?”

“No of course not. I wouldn’t tell people I was the Firestarter if I had hurt anything or anyone… But… Um… I went to the department store the next day and well… Turns out Erika runs it… And she kicked me out… Sooo… There was some bushes outside… REALLY big ugly ones…”

“... You didn’t.”

She smirked.

“... You devil!” He laughed. “I’ve heard of the lass, way too serious over perfume of all things!”

“I didn’t set the department store on fire but I did get rid of those fugly bushes.” Willow snickered. “I didn’t use braixen either. I used my lighter!”

Wilson threw his head back laughing.

“You twerp!”

“That’s what she called me!” Willow laughed harder.

Wilson sighed in content, wiping a stray tear away. “Oh, that was a good laugh… I can see why you got banned from the gym.”

“That gym. The bug gym in Johto. The Viridian gym for some reason… The one in Codex town when I got here… Three Hoenn gyms I am DEFINITELY not welcomed at…”

Wilson blinked.

“How many did you burn!?”

Willow shrugged. “Fire types are antsy.” She went quiet for a moment. “And I teach them all fire blast.”

Wilson chuckled shaking his head. “Naughty girl.”

“I got better about it at least!” She leaned back. “So what about you? I’ve been working here with you for about a week and a half and yet you haven’t told me much except that no one comes here.”

The professor grew quiet.

“Well…” He rubbed the back of his neck. “.. Let me get one of the witnesses to the incident…”

He excused himself heading to another area of the lab soon returning with a raichu perched on his shoulder who looked half asleep. It perked up as soon as it saw the sandwiches still on Wilson’s plate.

“This is Percy. He’s my partner.” Wilson introduced. “He was my first pokemon when he hatched out of an egg my grandfather gave me.”

Willow squealed a little. “Oh he’s precious!”

Percy gave a sheepish look, nuzzling Wilson. “Raaaiiichu!”

He nuzzled back, rubbing behind the pokemon’s ears. “He’s been my best friend since I was ten.”

Willow grinned. “I can understand why. So, what was the incident?”

Percy smirked at his trainer who rolled his eyes. “Stop giving me that look geeze.”

“Raiii.”

“It began a long time ago… Ten years ago to be exact…”

oooo

Wilson sighed to himself, stretching as he sat down at his desk, finally able to get some work in. It had been a long day of moving into his new home, but it would be worth it. He was sure of it.

“I get my first set of starters to give out in a few days and then we’ll be helping trainers start their journeys just like Grandfather used to.” He told Percy who was asleep on his lap. The raichu didn’t respond, just nuzzled more into his chest. Wilson smiled, rubbing behind his ears. “Yeah…”

He was looking forward to the start of his new career.

“Oh! Almost forgot…”

“Raaai?” Percy opened an eye, yawning, giving a bit of an irritated look at being woken up. Wilson was fiddling with a tape recorder.

“Just a quick thing, for when this really kicks off.”

He cleared his throat.

“Hello! My name is Professor Wilson Higgsbury! But those in these parts call me The Pokemon Professor! I’m here to help new trainers start their journey as a special hub through the Umbra region a melting pot of different pokemon and people too! Please don’t hesitate to stop by my laboratory and choose the pokemon who will become your partner!”

Wilson grinned to himself as he shut off the device. That would do for now at least. It wasn’t anything fancy but it was his at least.

I’ll make new discoveries, help trainers, create bonds between people and pokemon… Oh, it will be just wonderful…

He worked into the night, eventually growing tired... and Percy’s warmth wasn’t helping his case either.

His head bobbed and before long… He was out like a light.

Until the sound of static coming from one of his monitors woke him up. “Mgh…? Percy was that you?”

Percy was standing in front of a monitor, growling, sparks coming from his cheeks, his tail standing out straight.

Wilson got up, hurrying over. “What is-”

The monitor was on but it was complete static. Wilson narrowed his eyes. “I thought I just bought this-”

A face popped up on it.

“Rotom!” The face chirped as the monitor fizzed out as the pokemon phased out, snickering to itself.

“... No! Percy, get it!”  

Percy, eager to please, lunged at it, only for Rotom to cause it to phase through it. “RAICHU!”

Rotom floated off, Wilson and Percy in hot pursuit.

“It can’t mess anything up here! You have to get out of the lab!” Wilson called. “I don’t wanna hurt you!” He lied, having an empty pokeball behind his back. “I just wanna be friends!”

Only to find a sight he never expected when he followed it into the kitchen.

There was quite a few ghost types floating around. A misdreavus floated in front of a fan that blew, playing with the breeze. A haunter and ghastly were eating all of the ice cream out of his freezer… And a gengar was sitting on the counter, tipping a bag of chips over into its mouth.

Wilson and Percy froze in place.

“.... ALL OF YOU OUT! OUT!” Wilson called. “Human food all the time isn’t healthy! I’ll get you Poke-chow just PLEASE get OUT of my kitchen!!”

ooooo

“Oh geeze… So you had to turn people away?” Willow asked, cringing as she listened to Wilson’s tale.

Percy’s ears went down as Wilson seemed to deflate.

“Oh, I wish… It was worse… It GOT worse… I didn’t mind a few renegade ghosts floating around… Until the ghosts attracted other things…”

“Like what?”

“Let’s say Percy sleeps with me every night for a good reason…”

ooooo

It had taken a few hours before Wilson had finally seemed to banish the ghost types to the outside, a few good sized bowls of food seemed to distract them long enough.

Now he just wanted to get a good night’s sleep.

Wilson yawned, laying on his side, Percy facing his trainer, concern in his eyes. “I’m alright… Just tired…” He patted his head before dozing off.

Percy closed his eyes, falling asleep quickly… It was hours before either sensed something was wrong.

Wilson was making noises in his sleep… Pained noises.

Percy opened an eye. “Rai...?” Both opened in horror at what he was seeing.

A drowzee was perched over Wilson, the bedroom window wide open, its eyes glowing, its hands over Wilson’s eyes. A silvery mist was traveling out of Wilson’s nose as he shifted in his sleep.

“Rai…” His eyes narrowed. No one interrupted Wilson’s sleep but him!

“RAICHUUUUUU!!!!!”

The drowzee gave a pained cry before falling over and off of Wilson’s bed, paralyzed from the thunder wave that was sent its way.

Wilson gasped, opening his eyes. “W-What just…?” He sat up, looking to Percy, scratching at his nose a little. “Percy what’s going on? And why is my nose so-”

His gaze traveled to where Percy was glaring, seeing the drowzee on the floor.

“... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!”

He quickly poked his head out the window. “WILL ANY OF YOU BE WILLING TO HELP ME REMOVE THIS DROWZEE? YOU CAN HAVE THE POPSICLES!”

The haunter and gengar eagerly took care of it as Wilson relinquished the last of his sweets to the ghost types… And made sure to double lock his windows and doors after that.

“Mgh… This is gonna be a long night…” He curled up on his side, Percy cuddling up to him, a sympathetic look on his face.

“Chu…” Percy gave him a little lick as Wilson chuckled.

“I love you too. Thank you for saving me…”

ooooooo

“Okay so you had a bad night with some ghost types and a starving drowzee… What happened next?” Willow leaned forward, propping her elbows up on the table.

Wilson was rubbing under Percy’s chin, the raichu letting out some loud purrs as he did so.

“Well, after that, everything went relatively back to normal… I got my first batch of starters and I had some trainers actually come… But then… Well…” Wilson sighed. “Apparently there was more ghost pokemon hanging around my property than I expected..”

oooooo

“Alright, now, all of you understand what you're about to accept?” Wilson asked the children who had come to his lab eager for their starters.

“Yessir!” They all cheered.

He smiled. “Very well.” He opened the door… As a large chandelure hovered out. Wilson jumped as the children screamed.

They all knew what a danger a chandelure was. A pokemon that’s mere presence sucked the energy out of anyone nearby.

And it was followed by four lampents and a litwick. All had crumbs on their features but the kids didn’t care.

“Nooo! I don’t wanna die!” One boy cried.

“C-Calm down children I can fix this!” Wilson got in front of them, whistling as Percy ran to his side. “Percy let’s go, thunder!”

It didn’t take long, using a few other tricks he had discovered (it turned out old spell tags from the local temple helped in startling the spirit pokemon away) they were sent packing…

But the kids were all still terrified, huddled into a corner of the room, looking at Wilson with fear in their eyes. Some were crying.

“O-Oh, oh, oh… It’s okay… I promise…” Wilson knelt in front of them. “Are any of you hurt? Why don’t I just bring the pokemon out here-”

“You already did!” One girl cried. “Do you think that’s what we want?”

“W-What?”

“You did that on purpose!” Another boy yelled. “Everyone knows the legends that phantumps are dead kids! I bet you wanted to turn us into pokemon!”

Wilson felt mortified as he heard this. “What? No! I would never!” He gave a look. “And for that matter that whole dead kids are phantumps thing is a total legend and hogwash-”

“Let’s leave!”

“Wait-!”

They all hurried out to their parents who were waiting outside. The kids crying about their experience and pointing to where Wilson was standing in the doorway…

That was all that needed to happen apparently…

No one came back or mustered up the courage for the real starter pokemon he was supposed to give out.

And people assumed he was a mad man.  Most of the families in town gave him side looks or glares. The rumors had just gotten worse.

oooooo

“They went from trying to claim I tried to make them into pokemon, into claiming I had sic’d some kind of mutants on them… Those kids in particular were spoiled brats anyway… But it hurt my rep…” Wilson sighed, taking a drink of his tea, lowering his head. He felt awful for what happened that day, and no one could change what had happened. He tried reasoning, he had even defended them! But they still were afraid… “No one wants a starter from me now…”

Willow slammed her hand down on the table growling. “For the love of Arceus you can’t give up!”

“What?”

“You freakin’ gave up!”

“You think I didn’t try? I did! I’ve been trying for ten years but no one wants to give me a chance!”

“Then… We’ll make them give you a chance! We’ll redeem ya! And before you know it, those new starters you got when I met ya will have new trainers and homes in no time!” Willow proclaimed, jumping up as her flareon hopped down.

Wilson gave her a touched look. But he still had his doubts. It was hard to change people.  “It’s hard to change human nature.”

“But it’s hard to turn down cute baby pokemon! C’mon Wilson let’s try it! I’ll help ya!”

“You’ll have to officially be called my lab assistant.”

“I’m okay with that!”

Wilson looked to Percy who nodded. He smiled a bit.

“Very well… I’ll try… After all… What do I have to lose?”

“That’s the right attitude to have!” Willow grinned. “We’ll shock and awe them! Show them the real Professor Higgsbury!”

Heh… Things haven’t been the same since I met her…

And… It’s true I’ve kinda given up after the last time I tried… But… I can’t keep giving up. I can’t keep doing this forever…

I won’t let this be the end of my career. I wanted to build bonds between people and pokemon… I wanted to be like grandfather… And I intend to do just that!

• Like 4

minespatch    56,271

Oh, so that's where the Raichu came from.

How many chapters of this have you written so far? also, have you done any doodle or drawings? I'd like to see your own art.

Storm137    918
18 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Oh, so that's where the Raichu came from.

How many chapters of this have you written so far? also, have you done any doodle or drawings? I'd like to see your own art.

I've written four chapters, with chapter five in the works. And I've not done any doodles, I'm not very good at art personally, where I shine my best is my writing. I still doodle from time to time but it's mostly OC's for other fandoms or photography of my balljointed dolls (like this: http://storm137.deviantart.com/art/BH6-Eric-Lee-608110754 

• Like 1

minespatch    56,271

Well, if you ever decide to make a thread in off topic to show your work, I'd be happy to comment on it. Your writing is pretty good and looking forward to what'll happen next.

Not bad, I think you'll improve in the future. You seem to have your own look in your drawings.

• Like 1

Storm137    918
14 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Well, if you ever decide to make a thread in off topic to show your work, I'd be happy to comment on it. Your writing is pretty good and looking forward to what'll happen next.

Not bad, I think you'll improve in the future. You seem to have your own look in your drawings.

Thank you very much. I'll consider that. But for right now this is my main one for DS at least.

And thank you. I'm still learning but I'm glad I can at least get my characters out of my head and onto paper. Really my biggest weakness is animals. I can't draw them at all without it turning out derpy.

• Like 1

minespatch    56,271

When you get to making that drawing thread and start drawing animals, I think I can appreciate what you drew despite your thoughts on it.

• Like 1

Storm137    918
14 minutes ago, minespatch said:

When you get to making that drawing thread and start drawing animals, I think I can appreciate what you drew despite your thoughts on it.

One day. ^^ Just gotta take it one step at a time.

• Like 1

DragonMage156    24,418

Is this story just your nor did Aileen help with some ideas?

Also, I might be able to help with drawing animals and dragons. You see, I have quite a bit of animal (anthro mostly) OCs myself and kinda wanted to make some tutorials for drawing them. I still don't know how to explain how I draw human figures ^^;

• Like 1

Storm137    918
20 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

Is this story just your nor did Aileen help with some ideas?

Also, I might be able to help with drawing animals and dragons. You see, I have quite a bit of animal (anthro mostly) OCs myself and kinda wanted to make some tutorials for drawing them. I still don't know how to explain how I draw human figures ^^;

Aileen gave some input since she's my editor and did the banner but this story is 100% mine. But she did design Percy and Wildork up there so I give her full credit for their designs.

I say go for it. I'm always game to try new stuff. ^^

Edited by Storm137
  • Like 2

minespatch    56,271

I'm impressed. Seeing Maxwell as the Giovanni type made me jerk my head back. You threw a wrench into my surprise and I'm really looking forward to the next chapter.

• Like 2

minespatch    56,271

Maybe it's rude of me to post this but since you're bringing Wendy in already, here's this picture I did of her as a Fairygirl. Though I imagine she looks different in your story.

fairygirl wendy.png

Has @Aileen-Rose drawn Webber as a Pokemon trainer? Just curious.

• Like 4

Storm137    918
26 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Maybe it's rude of me to post this but since you're bringing Wendy in already, here's this picture I did of her as a Fairygirl. Though I imagine she looks different in your story.

fairygirl wendy.png

Has @Aileen-Rose drawn Webber as a Pokemon trainer? Just curious.

Aww I like it. She looks cute.

Nope not yet.

• Like 1

minespatch    56,271
10 minutes ago, Aileen-Rose said:

Here be Wilson's appearance along with his loyal raichu, Percy!

Ah, thanks. That'll help with my piece I'll do in a few days.

• Like 2

DragonMage156    24,418

I wonder what Willow looks like. N-not that you have to draw that or anything ^^; I'm just bad at imagining something described. Atleast after a few moments :p

• Like 1