Bug report: Crash when starting a new game / game unplayable

tenfour

Summary: I cannot play the game; when I click "start new game" from the main menu, I see a few seconds of cinematic and the game crashes. I attached a minidump to send to your developers.

Background: I just purchased and installed the game; so far the game is unplayable. I am a software developer so I'll give as much info to help.

Steps to repro:

- Launch the game

- From the main menu, click "Start game"

- Click "Play"

- Cinematic starts; I see about 1 second showing a hand dipping a brush into ink. Then the game crashes: Unhandled exception at 0x002ed179 in game.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

100% reproducible.

I verified that I am running the latest DirectX 11 version. I am on Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit. Sony VAIO laptop, Intel graphics card.

I tried changing graphics settings from the settings menu; seemingly nothing here affects the crash.

Minidump: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4422588/motn.zip

I, too, am having this exact same issue. Some possibly helpful additional information:1) I ran both Steam and the game.exe itself as an Administrator, so that didn't work.2) Restarted Steam, didn't work.3) Uninstalled and reinstalled Mark of the Ninja. And it worked! No, not really. It didn't work either.Anyway, thank you for being so proactive in solving this issue. We really appreciate the support.

While we look into this, can you confirm that your laptop was plugged into the wall when this happened? If not, can you try to play after plugging your laptop in? Thanks!

My laptop was plugged in when I tried to run the game, yes.

Having the same problem. Tried reinstalling with all my Anti-Virus software disabled. Still didn't help. I keep getting a white screen and the message "Mark of the Ninja has stopped working". I also run Windows 7.

It could be a separate issue. Can you please make sure you have the most recent version of DirectX? You can find that here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109If that doesn't fix it, check back here and post your system specs so we can look further into your issue. Thanks!

• MOTD

We have a fix ready that we think will solve the issues happening in this thread. We need to compile the build, do some quick internal testing, and we'll submit a new patch to Steam as Soon as possible! I'll update this thread once I have more info. If you have other questions, keep'em coming.

We have a fix ready that we think will solve the issues happening in this thread. We need to compile the build, do some quick internal testing, and we'll submit a new patch to Steam as Soon as possible! I'll update this thread once I have more info. If you have other questions, keep'em coming.

You guys are bloody awesome.

You guys are indeed the raddest of rad dudes.

My game crashes during the first mission cutscene.I am using a HP Pavilion dv5With Intel® Core i5-430M4 GB RAMWindows 7, 64-bit500 Gb hard driveMy Video card is Intel® HD Graphics.I am looking foward to play this game!

• MOTD

Just a small update on this. We're in the process of testing our fix (to make sure it didn't break anything else!) and once we're confident with it, we'll push a new update to Steam right away. We'll do our best to update this thread each step of that process so you know what's going on!

mgodoy, you have the same graphics card as I do and the same bug description. I have verified that the proposed fix works for me, so it sounds like good news for you as Soon as the patch is deployed.

Amazing work on this - fixed within hours of reporting the crash! Thank you thank you thank you!

Unfortunately, I'm still having an issue with crashing even after the patch (well, I didn't buy it till after, so...). When the game starts, it starts going through the logos (for a varying amount of time; I've only seen Microsoft's once out of a few tries) and then... goes black with the game's cursor for a bit before it crashes entirely (and tells me that game.exe crashed). I'm running Windows XP, which I guess matters here since I think everyone else was running 7.

I think this is the correct minidump file?

I'm really looking forward to playing, so hopefully this is something that won't take too long to fix, even if it's actually on my end...