So. Another thread... I emm... Somebody suggested before that I should make a thread dedicated to the things that I find bad about this game. Well, this is sorta it, but it's sort of not? I just think that useless or more specifically non-usage (items not being used, like, nearly at all) of certain things is important to talk about. And cool, we got uses for moon rocks and compass and are yet to get some more for them, but... There's plenty more things that I feel like needs tweaking. Remember, this is based on what I've observed over time whilst playing this game in terms of what other players use and in terms of what I myself have found useful, so your experience might suggest otherwise. Well, actually this is for DST AND DS, so, it's a mix and match of various things.

The new list:

Spoiler

Night Light - It was useful in single player in ruins as nightmare fuel was plentiful there as nightmares dropped it upon despawning after each nightmare cycle. As far as I'm aware, this doesn't happen (although someone has mentioned that certain conditions have to be met in order for this to happen, not entirely sure on this). And I'd argue it's great that it doesn't. But the time when Night Lights were really useful down there has basically diseased and it's quite the grind to get nightmare fuel solely for the purpose of using Night Lights as your light source.

Insulated Pack - I'd say it has its uses, but it's not as useful as it should be. Consider that you could craft 3 Ice boxes and still be left with Hibernation vest with the resources that require to craft this thing. A few thoughts into making it something that would compare with something like the Piggy Back and the Krampus sack and not just the easy-to-make Backpack, could be: making ice stay permanently frozen inside it; thermal stone cooling down in it; the pack not being flammable (considering none of its components are actually flammable); have a heat insulation of 60.

Weather Pain - In experience, this has a very small amount of uses. And although very powerful in PvP, in PvE, this hasn't show to be neither a reliably effective tool nor an effective weapon. I'd say mainly due to its durability. A few suggestions to make it much more effective would be to: Increase its durability (e.g. by x2, which would mean it has 30); make it refuelable via Down Feathers.

Broken Shells - Their only purpose is to craft a decorative structure. Considering how many of them you can get whilst grinding for Shelmets or Snurtle Shell Armors, a suggestion for its use could be to make it possible to repair these two armours via the them. Perhaps 20% per repair will do.

Shelmet - Generally, something that just provides 90% protection as opposed to 80% and just has a little bit more durability and is very unreliable because of the very low chance of getting the armour, makes it a grind to get it and not really worth it. What's the point getting a single armour of 90% if you can just make a whole bunch with 80%? Plus, the armour is inferior to the Thulecite Crown in usage in every way. A few suggestions to make it more useful and reliable are in this thread.

Ferns - This is not talking about Potted Fern. Fern is the flower variant of caves, basically. Ferns don't really have much use to make them pickable. Plus, their non-renewability makes them ever-more so "un-pickable", unlike flowers. A few suggestions could be; making a cave variant of a garland and pretty parasol.

Belt of Hunger - Whilst cool in concept, generally, I have yet to see someone use it, and I've played the game a lot. Yes, it can be useful in some scenarios, but generally it's unused because it means giving up your backpack. Plus, Slurpers being non-renewable might make it questionable whether it's actually worth to kill them for getting this thing.

Darts - I've found that they're very unreliable. It's a grind to just craft a whole bunch one by one, when you can just pick up a Tentacle spike or craft a Dark sword for 100 uses. I mean, you don't craft each use for these weapons, do you? After some testing, it takes 7 fire darts to kill a single spider. For something that takes Charcoal, Crimson Feather and 2 Reeds to craft per use, this makes the thing very useless. I tried to be able to fight using party blow darts, partly melee after being able to farm reeds thanks to reed trap in the world. It turns out it's very unreliale. The first point I made earlier seems to be the most annoying thing about them. But it's also a grind to generally collect enough reeds for them and is a grind to get feathers, especially if you want blow darts. A few suggestions could be to: have initial 50 damage dealt by fire darts before igniting the opponent; have darts craft x4 of them instead of one per craft (for the same amount of resources as currently); have a system where you need to instead insert the darts into a blow pipe and the blow pipe itself taking reeds to craft, whilst the darts themselves don't require this component.

Bunny Puff - could be given to pig king for gold, but as a recipe component for crafting things, there isn't much for it. The fur roll doesn't have much point in being used, as from my experience, you rarely actually have to sleep. A few suggestions to make the item more useful in crafting recipes are: substitute the Beefalo wool in Puffy Vest recipe for Bunny Puff; substitute Beefalo wool in Winter Hat for Bunny Puff.

Butter - whilst its rare concept is fun, for what it provides in comparison to some crock pot dishes that are very easy to obtain (and also comparing the dish(es) that actually require the thing) it has no point. Some have suggested that it could be used as animal bait, although Powdercake does this job a thousand times better... or longer... or even more than a thousand times that of Butter. A few suggestions could be: increase the amount of health that Butter and Waffles provide; make Butter refinable from Electric Milk.

Fireflies - Their non-renewability is the main reason many seem to don't like the idea of using them as fuel. Someone has even said to not catch the damn things at all. If it's meant to be an optional fuel source, making them easily renewable is essential. A suggestion for this could be: making them respawn in a random place in the world of the same type of biome you caught them in.

Chester - Useful early-game to carry more stuff from one place to another, but not late game; he can't keep up once you get a walking cane, or even if you just walk on roads! He doesn't seem to teleport neither in single player nor in multiplayer, unless you jump through a wormhole, as seen from recent lets play videos and from experience respectively. This means, he turns from a portable chest to... well... just a static one. A few suggestions to improve him in catching up with you could be: make him walk at the speed that is the speed of the player that has his eyebone; if there's a barrier between you and chester and he needs to get closer, instead of finding a way to get around to get to you or something, he would dig himself into the ground and dig himself out nearby you (this could be useful when teleporting whilst you have the eyebone); he could teleport to you if you get too far away from him; you drop eyebone upon teleporting.

Glommer - can't catch up, just like chester. Taking the suggestions I listed for Chester as basis of improving it/him/her if you decide upon it would be great.

Pan Flutes - The rate at which you can renew them, is pretty slow, in comparison to something like Sleepy Time Stories, due to the fact that it'd be wiser to renew Thulecite with Deconstruction Staves instead. Also there's the issue of Mandrakes, a component of Pan flutes becoming non-existent very easily because somebody ate them. A few suggestions for all of this in terms of Pan Flute and Mandrakes would be to: Increase Pan Flute durability; make Mandrakes possible to feed to bird in cage (perhaps only if it's cooked or if fed to bird in cage, the "effect" would take place ;)) for a 100% chance of getting 1 Mandrake Seed and another 5% or so chance for getting another; making Mandrakes possible to sprout from normal seeds in farms (1% chance may be?); and/or perhaps this suggestion.

Tents and Siesta Lean-tos - Whilst very useful, it seems a lot of the time most players just use food for healing health and sanity; there's not much incentive to use them explicitly. A suggestion to this could be: implementing fatigue/energy stat.

Killer Bees and Mosquitos - considering there are no Spiders or Frogs as items, why are there Killer Bees and Misquitos as items when you catch them? Why not just have them die as soon as you catch them? I guess it makes more sense... But in that case, could we have Frogs and Spiders as items that you can carry when you pick them up from a trap? If you do decide upon it, don't forget there's 5 types of Spiders!

Bee Mine - Tooth traps are superior in more or less every way. Bee Mine is a cool concept, though its functionality is a bit "meh" and to obtain just one of it takes some grind. One suggestion that I can make is for the mine to deal some initial damage to mobs, perhaps 40, considering there's 4 bees in the mine. Although I don't see that alone making it any more useful than it is right now, tbh.

The Lazy Forager - A large portion of players that I've encountered find this item useless for what it takes to craft it. A few suggestions to make it much more useful are: make it refuelable via Nightmare Fuel; make it pick up stacks instead of just individual items; make it pick up things at a faster rate; increase its durability; and/or make it possible to harvest things with it.

Various crock pot recipes - I think this really needs some balance revision. For instance, it's easier to just make Taffy and lose a bit of health than it is to get Pumpkin cookies and use one pumpkin per as they give the same amount of sanity each or Fish Sticks being inferior to Pierogis in nearly every way or the fact that Fist Full Of Jam and Fruit Medley doesn't have much point in being made or that Unagi is very much inferior to a lot of things and aren't really suited for the exploration of where you can obtain its ingredients from; the ruins.

Marble and Marble suit - one is extremely rare renewably and the other, well, doesn't do much for a tanking playstyle if anybody wants to do that... basically, because marble is so rare late and possibly even mid game, because Marble Suit takes so much of it and because if you're tanking things, you'll probably lose a lot of its durability very quickly, it's very unreliable. A few suggestions would be to: make some way to get marble in much higher amounts late-game; may be decrease the amount of marble it requires to craft a Marble Suit; increase Marble Suit durability significantly (perhaps increase it x2 or even x3 of what it is now). Do that, and a whole new way of playing the game can open up, making kiting an option, but not as essential as it is now.

One Man Band - I've yet to see anybody use it for the purpose of actually getting a bunch of followers to help you out with things. It's much easier and much safer to not lose your sanity and just befriend pigs/bunnies via meat or carrots. For making the item more useful, a few suggestion could be: make it increase your sanity instead of decreasing it; increase its durability.

Ice Cube - Main reason I and possibly some others don't use it is because it will completely soak you. Additionally, it takes way too much ice to constantly repair it after a few days journey and the movement speed reduction is a bit too high, considering how useful it actually it. A few suggestions could be: decrease the amount of wetness it gives you to 33 (this way, you'll only get wet during Summer or whenever you use it if it starts raining, although instantly, so you'll need to dry off); decrease its movement speed reduction to 5; increase its durability (perhaps to 12 days instead of 4 by default).

Fashion Melon - I've two things to say in making it useful. It is a bit useful for what it does as it stands, although because of one particular reason, it isn't used that much, this being its durability. Also, if Ice Cube is going to have 33 max sanity bump, then perhaps this item should have a bit less so you don't get instantly wet if it starts to rain. That said, the two suggestions I have for this are: increase its durability to 9 days instead of 3 (by default, would be shorter during Summer, of course); decrease the wetness it provides to you to 30 instead of 33.

Nightmare Amulet - It takes some Nightmare Fuel and 2 purple gems to just get a bit more Nightmare Fuel. Its durability drains very quickly, so just going insane and doing the job and restoring it via taffy instead of using gold, existing Nightmare Fuel and 2 Purple Gems for more or less the same results. I'd suggest increasing its durability, perhaps to 6 minutes, just like the durability of the Chilled amulet.

Pick/Axe - as said by someone else, it's useful technically, but by the time you actually get to it, there's no point in using it. Going down to ruins every few days just to get one or two more of these... just leting Woodie/Maxwell do the job or stick to golden tools is what seems to be done by pretty much everybody here. I'd suggest simply increasing its durability by x4 or so, considering it takes 2 Thulecite to craft just one.

Pumpkin Lantern - Just a few tweaks, I'd suggest: Make it loot Fireflies upon losing durability to 0% instead of just when killed; increase its durability by, perhaps x4, so that if you have multiple ones in base, you don't have to grind too much to replace them; not lose durability during Dusk, unless in caves; perhaps make them possible to carry in hand and just act as an alternative to Lantern?

Red Cap - I know some might use them for something like killing gobblers, but generally they don't have that much to them, other than filler. The other types of mushrooms would provide you an increase in a stat, whilst sacrificing another stat. Red cap... more or less just decreases your stats and gives you jack-all back. Since regulating sanity and health via green and blue caps seems to work well respectively, perhaps red caps could be something that would decrease your health and/or sanity but increase your hunger a bit more significantly? So that when eating it it's a bit more of a worthy sacrifice? I see this feature working well early game, if you're a newbie who doesn't have much to eat. I'd suggest just changing the hunger stat for both cooked and uncooked from 12.5 to something like 25 or 37.5. P.S Gaining hunger from cooked mushrooms would be nice too, because it doesn't seem to make any sense that you eat a cooked one and you gain no hunger from eating one.

Slurper Pelt - just having some more things to craft from these would be great, even if Belt of Hunger is somehow made more useful and worthwhile to use.

Walls - Some say it's meant as a decorative item, although they have a functionality. But their functionality doesn't work too well. These things certainly have a potential, I would say. A few things I could suggest is: making wooden walls somehow actually useful for a particular task; improving the functionality of the moonrock walls; having an incentive to actually repair walls (e.g. rofs, which could act similarly to the shelter in Shipwrecked); increasing the durability overall of some of the walls; making it so that mobs don't attack walls unless they don't have a pathway to the target (target is surrounded by walls).

Rain hat - yes, useful in some cases, but useful as a rain-protection item... not too much. I and it seems many others whom I've played with have found it much better to either use the Eyebrella or to just use umbrella and a certain helmet. One suggestion I could make is somehow integrate it so that when underneath a tree, even without a campfire, you lose wetness very quickly. Perhaps the Rain Hat could have a little insulation? And so items that have insulation could make you lose wetness much quicker if you're 100% wetness protected. This means, you could be running around with a rain hat, protected from lightning and a tad bit from the rain, and once your wetness gets to about 30, you could just stand under a tree for like 10 - 15 seconds and be completely dry and continue with your journey.

I know I missed some things from before and a whole bunch from single player and especially Shipwrecked, but considering how long this is taking for me to write, I might write about them here later on.

Archived list, because of complaints:

Don't Starve Together

Spoiler

* Night Lights - Extremely useful in single player Vanilla and RoG. Completely and utterly useless in DST and Shipwrecked (wait, can you even craft these in Shipwrecked worlds?), but regardless, the bigger problem is with DST. It's an item that exists there, but has basically no use. The thing that made it ever so useful in single player Vanilla and RoG was that you could craft a bunch of them in the Ruins and use the nightmare fuel that dropped from nightmares after they died due to nightmare phase ending to fuel the Night Lights all you wanted. Now? They're more or less useless. Good as a decor, but functionally have no use in DST, considering you can only fuel them with Nightmare Fuel, which isn't as easy to come by, unless you're insane 24/7 or something. Things I think that could be added to it is if you could fuel it via Living Logs, cause lets be honest; late game worlds get a bunch of tree guards and you end up having a full chest with them. And second would be that it could act as a temperature regulating source as well; it would cool you off if you're overheating and warm you up if you're dying from the cold. Kind of like normal and endothermic firepit all in one :p just that the fuel source is a bit costly, in particular for early-game.

* Insulated Pack - for a giant's item that also takes 3 gears, this is so useless, I can't even. Rezecib has made a mod which increases its slots to 8, but this approach just makes its concept useless if you get a piggy back or better yet a Krampus sack as it would just become a Backpack that has some of the Ice Box's traits to it. I'd suggest keeping the 6 slots, being able to keep food from going stale for just as long as in Ice Box if it doesn't already, keep ice from melting forever, cool down Thermal stones and Make it inflammable, because none of its craftables actually burn, unless you count that the fur tufts that make up thick fur burn individually, but the thick fur itself does not! Same goes for single player.

* Weather Pain - Just buff up its uses and perhaps allow it to be fueled via Down Feathers. That's all I'm asking for. Unless, you want to like, make gears and volt goat horns more accessible, that could work too, I guess. Regardless, for what it is, this isn't neither a reliable weapon nor a reliable tool, especially ever since Klei nerfed it in DST and it requiring more hits to destroy a tree, which I am not sure as to why this was implemented. Same goes for single player, and even more so for single player, because in multiplayer Down Feathers are a lot more common.

* Broken shells - If you're grinding for Shelmets/Snurtle Shell Armours, you might just get a bunch of Broken shells along the way. The thing is that not only are they broken (aesthetically), but they're also useless (literally) :( if you got them every now and then, yeah, their decorative use could be well fit, but if you're grinding for those fancy Shellmets/Snurlte Shell Armours, you'll get a bunch of them and essentially, you'll just have to feed them to your good ol' pal Lureplant. Same goes for single player. Which brings me to the next two items/things...

* Shelmet - It's kind of a joke at this point. It looks cool and is better in durability as well as in protection, but they're way too unreliable. Think about how many people will go through Shelmets in a few days if they used them constantly and, lets say there's 4 professionals on the server. They're way too unreliable and not worth going for, just to get some extra protection for your head. I would say that it should have 95% instead of 90% protection and should be repairable via Broken shells because for one we don't have any head armour that has this protection amount, but we have TWO body armours that have this (Marble Suit and Night Armour) and for two, it's inferior to the Thulecite Crown in every way; its reliability, its durability and its protection (it's the same, but the crown has the occasional shield popping up, which provides 100% protection and during the time keeps the crown from losing durability). I would also like to direct you to this thread I made ages ago, but that drowned in the sinking sand of the deserted Suggestion thread: 

Same goes for single player.

* Ferns - whilst foliage is renewable, the place where you would typically find them is not a place where you can renewably get them... What?! If flowers are renewable on the overworld and regrow by themselves, then why aren't ferns? Please, just make them respawn! Same goes for single player.

* Belt of Hunger, Summer Frest, Rain coat and all other torso-related clothing - it's basically useless. Whilst I've seen some people occasionally use them, hand them over to newbies or playing without using using backpacks nearly all of the time... most people don't use these. Like, ever. Why? Because Backpacks and Krampus sacks are the soulmate of torso equip slots. I honestly do not know what to do about this, other than allowing for backpacks to have a whole new equip slot for themselves, like some mods allow it, or perhaps having some more inventory space when you equip clothing (but just a little bit more if we're going down this route), though I'm sure Klei could think of something spectactular, right guys? ... right...? Oh and why does the Breezy vest have 60 insulation instead of 120? Considering that Dapper vest has 60 and there's none that has 120, it would make sense if the Breezy vest had 120, making it the middle tier torso clothing, which as it stands doesn't even exist in the game. Same goes for single player.

* Darts - oh boy, you knew this was coming ;) I am just sick of not being able to use darts unless I have a reed farm and if I grind to farm a bunch of feathers. And even then they're pretty much "meh"! The amount of damage they deal doesn't matter as much as the amount of durability they have... which is one. And they stack up to only 20. Which is 20 uses. Whilst at the same time, Dark sword or a Tentacle spike are just the best in comparison because they have five times the durability and they're easy to obtain per amount of this durability. And plus, after some things got damage buff, darts have become x2 as useless for those mobs (even those mobs are the ones that you would typically actually want to kill with darts if you ever used them, such as Deerclops, Bearger, Spider Queen etc.), plus the fact that if you keep shooting them at a mob, it's much slower than when just hitting an enemy and because fire damage got nerfed hugely... it now takes 7 whole fire darts to kill one spider... What?! Because of this ridiculousness, I would suggest the following: 1) Have a new item called Blow pipe, which requires 2 or so reeds to craft. 2) You would get 4 darts each time you craft a dart and they would no longer require reeds to craft, so 1 azure feather and 1 hounds teeth would give you 4 blow darts. These darts could then be fueled within the blowpipe one at a time. So, they would be ranged and deal more damage per, but generally require a tad bit more resources and effort to gain and would let you shoot much slower, depending on how fast you refuel your blow pipe. 3) Darts would stack up to 40 4) Fire darts would deal 50 - 75 damage first before igniting the target upon hit. And that's it. Klei can probably think of some other ways, but this is the way it would make most sense and would keep the darts relatively useful and worth the while to get and use, whilst not making melee weapons obsolete. Same goes for single player.

Bunny puff - The amount of them you get later on... this might have to do with the Bunnies respawning every day and not every 4 days like pigs do. But their puff really has no uses other than making more of their houses and, well, something that nobody really uses; Fur Roll. It has only 3 uses and really, because all of the stats can be restored anyway through the use of food which you can get a whole bunch of, just sitting there doing nothing whilst your stats recover is just lame. Implementing the energy stat could make the puff and the roll it's made out of very useful, but that's something that would sort of overhaul the whole game, kind of like insanity did when it was introduced. Either way, I've heard some people say they loved the idea of having energy that you need to take care of via sleeping or sitting down, so it's something to consider. Regardless, having something more to craft out of the puff, perhaps adding/substituting it in the warm clothings recipes could work? May be for Hibearnation vest (replacing rope or Dapper Vest) and... PUFFY vest ;) (instead of it requiring 2 beefalo wool, it would require 2 bunny puffs) and what about the winter hat? In terms of its texture, I would say it being made out of 4 silk and 4 bunny puffs could work really well! Yeah, it would mean that the only most notable use for beefalo wool would become th shaving/killing beefalo. Plus, carpeted flooring, Bernie and Saddles still use it >_> (P.S could you make the puff so that monsters wouldn't eat them? It just makes no sense that they do!).

Butter - it's rare, it's unreliable... why does it exist exactly? Because it's a pun to butterflies dropping them? Then what about the Waffles? It would be great if we could turn Volt Goat Milk into some Butter and perhaps if we could, you know... Milk the Volt Goats and perhaps Beefalo too? Either way, it being more common somehow would be nice, considering how many pierogis we can craft late-game. Same goes for single player.

Fireflies - as a fuel source, they are not great largely due to the fact that they don't respawn. Perhaps, once you pick one, another would respawn in the same biome in a random place in the world, encouraging exploring/going around the world every now and then? Just as an alternative to light bulbs. I know people can keep them around the base to stay as a permanent light source but... wait, people already do that! And unless you made them respawn instantly, I don't see them being placed everywhere at any point in the game. Plus, what is the point in them being a fuel source in the first place if they're not going to be used for this purpose unless it's an emergency? Besides running in circles, especially if you introduce energy into the game might not be that big of a problem. Or perhaps, they could fade away before someone actually gets close enough to provide any light source; that could be done too.Just, please, whatever you do, make them renewable. Same goes for single player.

Chester - due to his movement speed and the fact that he doesn't teleport to you if you outrun him unless you go through a wormhole. Perhaps make him run at the speed of the person the player who is holding the eyebone is running? Because otherwise, he goes from a portable chest to, well, just a stationary chest. Same goes for single player.

Glommer - Pretty much the same as chester. Same goes for single player. Having a larger radius of sanity buff would be great too, considering that there's multiple players in one place a lot of the time.

Foliage - It would be great to have a garland alternative for caves made out of foliage. And perhaps it being an ingredient for carpeted flooring, since the flooring is purple? But the reason it's pretty much useless if, well, because it doesn't give you sanity when picked like flowers do, only has a decorative craftable and has the awesome use of giving you 1 hp when eaten. And that's it. Like, what's even the point of keeping them/picking ferns? Same goes for single player.

Gunpowder - pretty tough to get your hands on it and... for what? Especially since nobody likes to waste away food, even eggs, we don't have any eggs left in the chest to rot in order to make some gunpowder. It was best when Pengulls used to provide them for us, like in single player, but because of the bug that is in the game, rotten eggs have become a lot less common. If Shipwrecked gets introduced in DST and the recipes that require gunpowder actually become worth the while and useful, then perhaps the grind will be worth it. But right now... nobody's using it for anything, really. Same goes for single player, but to a bit lesser of an extent due to the fact that Pengulls there are not bugged and respawn, as far as I'm aware.

* Pan Flutes - The amount of times that STS is used on so many things cannot even begin to compare with the pan flute. Whilst Pan flute is technically renewable due to deconstruction staff, it would be much wiser to use the staves on thulecite, considering how rare they are. Mandrakes themselves can be cooked, eaten or cooked in crock pot for Mandrake soup by some newbie or just simply stolen by a looter. If there was some way to renew Mandrakes, lets say 1% for it to grow from farms (when normal seeds are planted), 5% chance to get second mandrake seed from giving mandrake to bird in cage, could not only make them easier to renew and make both mandrakes and pan flutes renewable even if all mandrakes and pan flutes are gone, but also multiply them if you so chose to as well as make farms much more worth the while, as some people have said that they're more or less useless. Or perhaps take this idea as a way of renewing them (we need more meep!): 

* Tents and Siesta Lean-tos - same as for fur rolls. As for straw rolls, for what they provide, whilst they're not as commonly used, if they are quite useful; keeps you from dying in the night if you have nothing to craft a light source with or you have no other way of restoring sanity and all you have is some bit of grass. Same goes for single player.

* Killer Bees and Misquitos as items - you don't get a frog or a spider when you catch these in a trap. Why do I get Killer Bees and Mosquitos as items when I catch them? I know it makes a tad bit more sense, but you don't get frogs or spiders as items once you pick up a trap that they got caught in. So what is the purpose of this? I guess they could have some uses if you place them down to fight off a mob for you, but why not use the normal bees instead then? At least they're not hostile towards players most of the time! Yeah, killer bees have a bit faster attack period, but that isn't going to change a lot. Same goes for single player. Speaking of bees...

* Bee mine - does anybody ever use these for anything? Tooth traps are so much better than these in every way! Crafting bee mines is like crafting a bee box for the sole purpose of it acting as a tooth trap. I honestly do not have a clue as to how these could be made useful and I have yet to see any awesome suggestions, but just add something to this, Klei, please? Same goes for single player.

* The Lazy Forager - we all already know what's so bad about it, but I'll repeat this anyway... Can't refuel it/small amount of uses/what would you even use it for anyway? Same goes for single player.

* Various crock pot foods as well as some general foods - things like Fish sticks and Unagi really need revision, I feel, because Unagi is a ruins food item, but as far as its usefulness goes to the ruins exploration itself... just nope; I mean even Jerky is better in every way than this is! I would suggest that Unagi should give more sanity upon consumption, lets say 30. It'll be better in terms of sanity than jerky and the same in terms of health, but a little inferior in terms of hunger and lasts x2 less, making it great for ruins exploration and not needing tamoshanter with you or taffy down in the ruins. As for Fishsticks... Just let it give you 50 hp instead of 40, because it's otherwise inferior to pierogis in pretty much every way. There's probably plenty other recipes that need tweaking, although I'm not going to go through each one of them right now, considering this is getting pretty long anyway. Another significant recipe to revisit is Fist Full of jam. Just 5 extra sanity from cooking 4 berries in a crock pot in comparison to eating 4 cooked berries? Same goes for single player.

* Marble suit and marble - considering it reduces your mobility by 30% and requires a ton of marble AND takes up your torso slot... it's pretty darn useless for its purpose; tanking mobs. For making it better suited for its purpose, I would suggest it having more durability, perhaps double or even tripple durability and it being possible to be repaired via marble. Or simply requiring less marble to craft and marble being much more easy to obtain renewably. Regardless, it needs some way of staying durable, because its pretty low durability seems to be its biggest issue with tanking mobs. If its durability is increased, then it could prove for a completely new way of playing the game and kiting not being so essential anymore. Hand out marble suits to newbies who don't know how to kite yet? Oh hell yes! Same goes for single player.

* One Man Band - the main use of this musical instrument is attracting mobs to help you out in works that would normally require you to feed them meat/vegetables. Considering that this item requires 4 pig skin, has low durability, makes you totally insane in a short amount of time if you have a lot of followers and takes up torso slot to use... it's pretty darn useless. I've two simple suggestions to make this item a tad bit more useful; DRASTICALLY increase its durability (lets say to 3 days instead of 3 minutes) and make it increase your sanity depending on the amount of mobs you have instead of decreasing it. Do that and I bet people will start using it mid and late game instead of using meat to get followers to help them with chopping down trees or killing a bunch of stuff. Same goes for single player.

* Ice Cube - Oh, where do I even begin with this... I guess I'll explain the main reason this is not really used that much or at all; wetness. Whilst for Fashion Melon it's bearable, for the Ice Cube it isn't. Wanna keep away from heat? Sure, have an ice cube, but guess what the price is; your sanity or if you're using Piggyback or Krampus sack, then the alternative is your pocket inventory! No, just no. Considering that it's an item that slows you down by whopping 10% (Might not be too much, but if you have a Piggyback that already decreases your movement speed by 10%, this would really suck), needs to be constantly refueled by ice as well, who would honestly use it? Thermal stone alone is so much better in every way and it just requires a pickaxe and a bunch of rocks to craft. Ice cube used to be used by many people back when it didn't cause you to go wet, including myself, but now it's not only a joke in its aesthetics (it looks weird and funny, is my point) but also a joke in its mechanics. I would suggest changing its movement speed reduction to 5%, make it increase wetness up until 33 and have ice repair more durability for it/have it degrade slower, because goddamn; not even 4 days and you already need like 9 ice to repair it? How much ice do we need to prepare for our first summer then? A full ice box? Over 9000? Consider that ice is also needed for flingos! Same goes for single player.

* Fashion Melon - Two things. One is it's main problem, which is its durability; like come on! 3 Days?! Make that 9 days, please, ain't nobody is going to farm Water melons so that each player gets 5 throughout the whole duration of summer (15 days of summer / 3 days of one fashion melon durability = you need 5 fashion melons to go through the whole summer. That's just ONE player)! And two... if Ice Cube is tweaked to have its wetness to 33, meaning that you'll instantly get wet once rain starts, having some time to dry off if it starts to rain in summer before actually getting wet whilst wearing this would be great, so perhaps reduce the max wetness it can give to 30? Same goes for single player.

* Nightmare Amulet - Just its durability and the amount of stuff it requires to craft... not really worth it. Why would I exchange some gold, 2 purple gems and a bit of nightmare fuel for possibly a little more nightmare fuel? Just increase its durability and it'll be fine, I'd say. Would keep us from exploiting wormholes for going insane late game and possibly mid-game instead :p Same goes for single player.

* Piack/Axe - Its durability for what it does in comparison to the effort you need to craft one or two of these... completely not worth it. It's just combining golden Pickaxe and Axe, taking away one of their durability and keeping one slot free, whilst taking 2 of your thulecite. The 1/2 less hits on rocks/trees respectively doesn't really cut it. If you increased its durability to, say x4 the amount it has now (496 - 1600), then perhaps it would be used much more frequently late-game, considering how hard it is to renew thulecite. Same goes for single player.

* Pumpkin lantern - I guess it's kind of thematic that it lights up during dusk, however it losing durability during this time... not that great, considering that it only lasts 10 - 12.5 minutes and requires constant pumpkin farming to keep alive and to kill it before it dies off so that the fireflies don't disappear... not that great. If fireflies dropped even when the pumpkin lantern died off and the thing didn't lose durability during dusk (although it would still light up), unless you're in caves perhaps and would have more durability overall (perhaps x4 than it currently has, which might last a whole season, so that if you're keeping like 5 or 6 in your base, it isn't so much of an annoyance to replace them). Or perhaps give them a whole new use entirely? An alternative to Lantern in that they can be held in your hand? Same goes for single player.

* Red cap - there's literally no use for the red caps other than filler. Green caps are good for increasing AND decreasing your sanity (decreasing especially useful for Maxwell), whilst blue caps are good for health in exchange of some sanity or vice versa. Red caps? I mean is anybody really going to sacrifice 20 health for 1 sanity intentionally or vice versa? I know it's meant to be something to learn from; don't eat random mushrooms, but whilst generally bad for sanity/health, it could be useful for, say hunger, so that you can still eat them if you really need food, but aren't as bothered about sanity or health. Perhaps increase its hunger value to 25, which is double of the other caps? And why do you get no hunger when you cook mushrooms? This doesn't seem to make any sense at all! Same goes for single player.

* Slurper pelt - It's kind of a shame that something this rare and hard to obtain has one use, which nobody uses anyway (Belt of Hunger). Just add something more to this? Same goes for single player.

* Walls - not only is it annoying when mobs attack them, even though they haven't aggroed onto anything else and even when they are they could easily go around the walls, they still attack them. But the biggest kicker is that there is no point in repairing them and considering that it already takes a whole bunch of resources to just craft a bunch to surround a certain area, repairing them has even less use, considering their durability. I would suggest introducing roofs and perhaps doors/gates as well so that we could make somewhat decent houses for ourselves, because it really makes no sense for our characters to not make them, considering that they've already lived in the DS world for so long and are now together, which could make building a fine house much more viable. I'd argue that the same goes for single player, considering how long you have lived there. And I know some people have said that it'll just become OP. Well, if you need tier 3 walls in more or less each corner of each roof tile (which could be the size of 4 floorings, perhaps) to keep it in tact, I honestly don't see how this could become OP. Besides, it could be implemented so that certain things would need to be left without a roof on their head, such as crops as it would block sunlight and incoming rain or something. In terms of walls themselves, the most useless ones would have to be wooden walls and moon rock walls. Wooden ones due to the fact that they just have x2 durability as grass walls and act pretty much in the same way (they burn) and require a TON of resources to craft for what they are and for moon rock walls, well, 12 hard-to-get moon rocks for just 4 wall segments and them being easily destroyed via just a normal weapon (because their main purpose was to keep players away from a certain area... well, this doesn't seem to work well and really needs revisiting, I feel).

* Rain hat - now, it seems like a well-balanced item. However, I've personally never seen anybody use it; it's either umbrella, eyebrella and in rare cases the rain coat. The functionality of it is great, however considering the other three items... it becomes useless. It's better to wear armour + umbrella for 100% protection from rain. Nobody really cares about lightning that much as it seems and for however much the item looks cool, it really has quite bad functionality for what it is in comparison to the aforementioned three rain protective items. Plus, it requires Alchemy Engine to craft, where as, say the Rain coat or the Umbrella only need a science machine.

Don't Starve

Spoiler

* Deerclops Eyeball - Everything but the single player Vanilla has this taken care of; once you craft 3 Shootiuses... What are you supposed to do with the other eyeballs? Eat them? Keep them as decoration? Feed them to my Lureplant? Errr.... Some other use would be great. Considering that the Scales have 3 uses, why not for Deerclops' Eyeball? Of course, don't make this Vanilla exclusive... just that because you cannot craft an Eyebrella, makes the items somewhat useless. The same goes sort of for single player RoG worlds; you craft 3 shootiuses, 1 eyebrella... then what?

Don't Starve Reign of Giants

Spoiler

Thick Fur - Similarly to the situation with Deerclops' eyeball in both RoG and Vanilla, the Thick fur becomes useless after you craft an Insulated Pack (which in and of itself is actually useless) and the Hibrenation Vest. Unlike Dragonfly's scales, with which you can craft scalemail which essentially will degrade from durability and break if you craft it and the fact that the more Scaled Chests you craft, the better and that the Down Feathers' craftables BOTH degrade (although being possible to refuel would be nice), this is not the case for the Thick Fur and it becomes useless after just 2 times of usage, unless you accidentally let your Insulated Pack burn or your Hibearnation Vest degrade to 0%.

Don't Starve Shipwrecked

Spoiler

* Boat canon - Whilst the Sealegs is just an awesome boat type where the speed reduction doesn't really matter if you drink coffee, hold a cane and a sleek hat due to the fact that it has an infinite canon (which is actually way too OP, I'd argue), normally, the canon for players is just... useless. 10 uses and for what? Grinding to get a bunch of coconuts, gunpowder and logs? "No thanks, I'll just stick to melee" <= the attitude of like every Shipwrecked player ever!

* Bioluminesence - merely because they're non-renewable, technically, their use is... meh in terms of fuel, just like fireflies. Rather to craft Buoys around your base and get Boat Lanterns or Bottle Lanterns from Whales and the Yaarctopus, although that requires some grinding/waiting to do. It's just that their main use, which is fuel for certain light sources become obsolete once they're all gone in the world. Perhaps if you don't want them to just respawn in the same place all the time, there could be certain places where they could respawn upon world-generation and perhaps those places would change every day or so and once you pick the bioluminesence, they would respawn in those places, changing the chosen place to respawn every few minutes or so. Just... whatever you do; make them respawn in some decent way.

* Snakeskin sail - I honestly do not see anyone using this at any point. The Thatch sail is a good sail for your first boat and the Cloth sail is useful until you find both Doydoys and breed them to make a Feather Lite Sail, which will do you well until you have a bunch of gears and have killed the Sealnado and crafted yourself the Iron Wind, but the Snakeskin sail? Okay, here's the problem with the "long-durability but slow" being the only factors taken into mind; you're not considering the time players take into travelling nor are you taking into consideration the distance. So, lets say you have the armored boat and nothing else other than this sail to increase your movement speed. This means 6 speed with just the boat and 25% extra, which equates to 7.5 speed. Comparing that to the Cloth sail, which in speed boost would be 7.8. This seems pretty fine, soncidering that the former lasts 4 days and the latter lasts 3 days, right? Well... no. Now, this is not exactly the correct math, but it'll do for this example. Lets time the 7.5 by 4, which is the amount of days, which equates to a number of 30. That's the distance without a specified unit that it would take you to travel 4 days at the speed of 7.5. Now, lets time 7.8 by 3, which equates to 23.4. Seems fine, doesn't it? No, the math here is wrong for the latter in the comparison. We need to time the 7.8 by 4 days and not 3 days, because otherwise the comparison cannot be made to give fair results. 7.8 x 4 is 31.2. Not that big of a difference, is it? Plus, if you took the time to repair the first sail, that would take up the 1.2 or so amount that you would have traveled via the Cloth sail, right? Well, we don't exactly know what the 1.2 would be (this is already taking up a whole bunch, so I'm not going to worry about it too much in detail, unless someone can do the math instead) and, there's a huge problem with this regardless of the equivalent math here... movement speed. Most players knowingly will use the Cloth sail, because it provides more of a speed boost. Now, repairing things every now and then is quite the drag and I speak from experience in terms of sails. If long durability is what the Snakeskin sail is going for, it doesn't do the job well enough right now. One extra day? Really? You won't notice the difference. You will most likely notice the difference if you make a long travel and then by the time you're back at base think "hei, I didn't need to take a sewing kit with me for the journey!". Now if Snakeskin sail's durability was DOUBLE the durability of the Cloth Sail, then it would have some meaningful use. Otherwise... What's even the point of it being there if it's not really going to be used at any point during a run where the player knows what they're doing?

* Sea Sack - same as for the Insulated pack under DST list.

* Spearguns - I just want to say that the durability in comparison to their crafting recipe is ridiculous. Whilst seemingly not as bad as the darts, the speargun requires you to constantly get live jellyfish, which is a grind, considering you either need a trap, trawl net or a bug net, bug net being the go-to option, although it requires silk... This in turn means... how much inventory space do I need to have to actually make use of these things? One speargun won't be enough to massacre a pack of sharkhounds coming after me, so what's the point of it? Consider that I need to pick the spear back up to use it again! Just give it more uses, because concept wise it's awesome! 50 or so should do it.

* Cactus spike - why was this made into a weapon again? 3 uses? I don't get it. Perhaps if it dealt a whole bunch of damage to cacti themselves (so that you could kill them in 3 hits) then the thing as it stands more or less could be useful? I honestly don't know. Its only useful use is cactus armour. Why you/Capy made it into a weapon and one that has the worst durability is just weird.

* Peg Leg - Similarly to Cactus spike... just why? But if you're keeping it there, then perhaps it being an exclusive weapon to Woodlegs, which deals more damage on the sea and doesn't require science machine to craft, unlike the Spear, so that it's essentially a more reliable, but less durable and less damage-dealing trident? I honestly don't know V('^')V

* Eyeshot - I don't want to come out as rude, but I'm pretty much facepalming at this item. If darts weren't useless as is, here comes a type that is not only even less useful than the others generally speaking, but is also non-renewable. Just, let Flups respawn! Not that difficult, is it? As for the eyeshot itself...apufapufff, no idea.

* Limestone Suit - wow, the amount of useless hugely junk introduced into this DLC, I, emm... Make it a marble suit variant instead? I mean, for touchstones you get limestone in place of marble, so it would kind of make sense. Speaking of limestone, the coral doesn't sometimes respawn if you're not nearby it or something... Not entirely sure as to whys of it.

* Pirate hat - ever since the amount of sanity it provides got nerfed, in comparison to its recipe and its durability... There's no point in crafting this anymore. Really though, why nerf it though? It was good as is! Consider that a sand castle, made out of some sand, palm leaves and some seashells gives off 25 sanity per minute, how would the Pirate hat be OP? It already used to be inferior to the Tam o shanter in every way, why nerf it at all?

* Captain hat - concept kind of cool, but its only being the reason to take up the head slot... who's going to use this?

* Limestone wall - pretty much the same as for other walls as mentioned in the DST list.

* Snakeskin hat - same as the Rain hat as mentioned in the DST list, pretty much.

* Sharktooth crown - I... hmm, so that's why you nerfed the pirate hat. Well, hate to break it to you, but the perk "+6.6 sanity (only on boat)" doesn't really cut it. No idea what the idea behind this item was really, so I can't really suggest anything, other than pointing out that it's pretty much useless.

* Some things, such as some foods as mentioned in DST list also apply to Shipwrecked. One example I can think of is the Doy Doy Egg; as a food item, why is it only worth as much as a normal egg and not a tallbird egg in crock pot? Just think about how rare it is! Also Jello pop; it's the same/inferior to banana pop in every way! Or take Warly's recipes, for instance. They're useful for him because of his pickiness, but generally as food items... average/worse than existing ones.

* Vines - I know they have a bunch of uses, but generally, they're not an essential resource. Not sure if they're supposed to be or not, but bamboo sure is. Although, I guess it's a good thing it's not an essential resource cause that keeps one inventory slot free and means I don't have to constantly get vines with machete like I do with bamboo?

* Snakeskin - ...

* Empty bottle - now... I know it has a lot of uses. But the things that need it to be crafted are not something you would keep crafting except the sea trap... which brings me to the next point...

* Sea trap - for one you can just use normal tarps in the water as is stands and for two... a live jelly fish to make it?! No thanks! Besides, what's the point in baiting it with meat if you'll just get meat back? It's a waste of time, resources and... pretty much everything!

* Snake oil - I know this has been said multiple times and I know it's meant to be a joke item, but at least give it some good use or let it disappear upon consumption at least, otherwise it's more or less a single emote generator in single player ;)

* Walani's Surfboard - I'm sure pretty much everyone on the forums who plays Don't Starve Shipwrecked and the developers themselves know how this needs buffing. Useful early game, useless late-game. If the surfboard's normal speed was much higher, say 8 and it could have a sail put on it, then it would have a decent reason to be used as Walani or to pick the character to play as in the first place.

* Cargo boat - many might disagree on this, however there is one reason I never use it; it can be destroyed by dragoon eggs in one hit. If its durability was something like 350 or 400, I could consider it, due to more inventory space. But 300? No thanks, I'd rather not die instantly on the seas due to some giant falling rock. Besides, it's slower, so what's the point?

For those who think "oh, well, it's just some things that are useless, just use the things that are useful!" - in that case what is even the point of having these things in the game? Might as well just remove them as nobody is really crafting them/using them, are they? But I and many others wouldn't want that, I'm sure, because they have cool concepts! They're a large chunk of content in the game that has potential, but for whatever reason have been made so useless that for a large part players don't particularly find them useful and instead rely on other things. How this happens still bugs me to this day.

What do you think of the things I've suggested and have found useless? Is there anything else that I haven't mentioned and you guys have found useless?

Btw, pardon me if I say something that might sound rude or something. This whole thing took me the whole day to write... It might take people the whole day to read, but... Worth it! For bettering the game...! *dies to starvation*

1. People do use waist slot items that aren't backpacks. You and your friends aren't the only people playing this game.

2. It's inevitable that some stuff will outlive its usefulness. You can't have every single thing in the game being equally useful because then you never get rid of anything.

3. Nobody wants to play the game with nothing but log suits, lanterns, swords, and firewood. Having some things with dubious use is okay.

4. Stop being so freaking negative all the time, for god's sake.

8 minutes ago, TheHalcyonOne said:

1. People do use waist slot items that aren't backpacks. You and your friends aren't the only people playing this game.

2. It's inevitable that some stuff will outlive its usefulness. You can't have every single thing in the game being equally useful because then you never get rid of anything.

3. Nobody wants to play the game with nothing but log suits, lanterns, swords, and firewood.

4. Stop being so freaking negative all the time, for god's sake.

This seemed a bit uncalled for. He was just expressing his opinion over some items in a game.

20 minutes ago, TheKingDedede said:

This seemed a bit uncalled for. He was just expressing his opinion over some items in a game.

This is actually a hive mind now, you're not allowed to comment on the usefulness of objects anymore.  /s

9 minutes ago, Mario384 said:

This is actually a hive mind now, you're not allowed to comment on the usefulness of objects anymore.  /s

I'm not any authority. He's free to compl--comment about whatever he wants. I'm free to think he's quite overly opinionated and could find something to complain about if handed a $100 bill.

2 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

* Belt of Hunger, Summer Frest, Rain coat and all other torso-related clothing - it's basically useless

Sometimes i prefer when i carry less things but have less to manage my temperature. I guess i'm not the only one.

2 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

* Red cap - there's literally no use for the red caps other than filler

I like killing gobbler with them, easier than chasing them, and 3 red cap for 2 drumstick is still good.

I agree that fern and fireflie and some others stuffs deserve to be renewable. I also agree that chester deserve a better speed (at least as an evolution). Most of the points are heavily depending of the playstyle, however.

He has upset people in this forum by being rude a lot. That's just it, maybe try and not be so negative. Maybe be more tolerant and not say others thoughts are "stupid" and you just might find that people have more respect and tolerance for yours. Not trying to get on you, just some life advice. You get what you put out generally. 

About the thick fur

I guess it's pretty much in the same level of usefulness, if not under, of a Deerclops Eyeball, like...the Eyebrella still degrades, just like the H vest. the second use, that is a houdius, becomes ineffective in that world once you've crafted all 3, requiring you to re-gen to keep that use.

Personally, I thank you for at least trying to give something to the table instead of straight getting negativity over the subject

3 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

* Rain hat - now, it seems like a well-balanced item. However, I've personally never seen anybody use it; it's either umbrella, eyebrella and in rare cases the rain coat. The functionality of it is great, however considering the other three items... it becomes useless. It's better to wear armour + umbrella for 100% protection from rain. Nobody really cares about lightning that much as it seems and for however much the item looks cool, it really has quite bad functionality for what it is in comparison to the aforementioned three rain protective items. Plus, it requires Alchemy Engine to craft, where as, say the Rain coat or the Umbrella only need a science machine.

I've been using this a lot lately for the lightning protection and because it's real nice when combined with the log suit so you get rain protection and armor protection at the sane time which is rather helpful against the mmmMo0o0se/Goose's babies.

It's also very cheap and easy to make lightning protection for Wickerbottom, in case you need to overcharge your fellow robot friend Wx-78...

It also looks really good on GoH Wickerbottom HAVE YOU SEEN HER WITH HER HAIR DOWN, ERMAYGERD kek.

35 minutes ago, PeterA said:

:(

I laughed so hard at this XD

As for @TheHalcyonOne

1) I am aware... Didn't I state this in my wall of text?

2) I am also aware of this. But things like the Ice Cube or the Pirate Hat didn't "outlive their usefulness"; they were nerfed to a point of uselessness. Things like grass suit and pretty parasol are things that are MEANT to become obolete later on kn the game; they're an early game item.And I respect them for what they are. It seems like you're just trying to stab me by every corner at this point,trying to create claims that are completely false about what I actually said.

3) Emm... Lies! Why do we ask for more content? Why do we want the game to be more uncompromising?

4) Deal with it.

@Lumina just use berries you picked from the same berry bush to lure them to it and then kill the gobblers as they walk to them. Better yet, at base wall off a powdercake :)

@EinRobot I'm sick of being told this, mainly because I've learnt my lesson and I'm trying not to be rude to people anymore. As for being negative... Deal eith it. It's my way of life and if it makes you have a smug face... Why care...? V('^')V

@Mueck Why? Although I more or less have, why feel insulted over criticism? Like, I've been trying to give constructive criticism, yet still, people give me smug faces :(

if you truly mean what you've said,thank you. I see it that it's best to say why things are bad with the incentive to try and improve a game I'm intrigued by, not just use it to say "oh this game sucks", because despite so much existing stuff really needing for improvement, there's a bunch that works very well already, which is nice. I for one said something positive. Yay?

@GiddyGuy If you don't have the Eyebrella then yeah. It's just that it being inferior to Eyebrella in every way, makes it useful only until you get Eyebrella. But since you can get Eyebrella by the time Winter rolls around... When would you even use the Rain hat for its multitude of features it has (rain protection, lightning protection)? It feels as if it needs something special, or some way to incorporate it so that it's not just an inferior Eyebrella. Sails and Iron Wind might work well the way they do, but aside from snakeskin sail, they pretty much all have a time scale for when you really use them. For Rain hat... In single player if you're very unlucky and don't get a Deerclops for the first or the first few winters. In multiplayer... Yeah, I guess hatching eggs and charging WX without getting struck, but that's really just putting it on and taking it off again. If I was given a very good reason to use it instead of the Eyebrella, I would, because the Rain hat looks so darn cool :p

42 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

1) I am aware... Didn't I state this in my wall of text?

You did, and then you used the word "nobody" 8 times. Nobody uses this, nobody uses that. You can't say one thing and then do the other with a pass.

44 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

2) I am also aware of this. But things like the Ice Cube or the Pirate Hat didn't "outlive their usefulness"; they were nerfed to a point of uselessness.

The ice cube is generally easier to make in a pinch than the watermelon hat because people will tend to have large amounts of never-melting ice in their ice box and are not as likely to have spoiling watermelons lying around. The pirate hat is useful earlier in a game for revealing more of the map at once before things like the iron wind and coffee come into play and is relatively easy to make.

48 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

3) Emm... Lies! Why do we ask for more content? Why do we want the game to be more uncompromising?

???

49 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

just use berries you picked from the same berry bush to lure them to it and then kill the gobblers as they walk to them. Better yet, at base wall off a powdercake :)

I may be misremembering but won't they still run off if you don't time this just right? As for the walled powdercake, for someone who thinks rot is a balance issue and made a post decrying exploits you seem oddly comfortable with exploiting nonsensical AI behavior.

53 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

If you don't have the Eyebrella then yeah.

With default settings you get one eyebrella your first Winter and one or two (can't remember) for each after, so everybody but the one lucky eyebrella owner is going to need something. An umbrella and a helmet or something might provide 100% wetness protection, but if you need to work -- chop trees, break rocks, etc. -- the rain hat will keep you drier while you do.

Think outside your box.

5 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

* Red cap - there's literally no use for the red caps other than filler. Green caps are good for increasing AND decreasing your sanity (decreasing especially useful for Maxwell), whilst blue caps are good for health in exchange of some sanity or vice versa. Red caps? I mean is anybody really going to sacrifice 20 health for 1 sanity intentionally or vice versa? I know it's meant to be something to learn from; don't eat random mushrooms, but whilst generally bad for sanity/health, it could be useful for, say hunger, so that you can still eat them if you really need food, but aren't as bothered about sanity or health. Perhaps increase its hunger value to 25, which is double of the other caps? And why do you get no hunger when you cook mushrooms? This doesn't seem to make any sense at all! Same goes for single player.

Hey there boyo you can bait animals and kill the gobbler with 3

5 hours ago, Mueck said:

Please do yourself a favor and stop playing the game.

Or at least stop talking to us about it.

As for your loooong list...if all those things were taken out, the game would be so much more boring, and have so much less colour!  I LOVE that all those things are there!  It gives people variety, and makes the world have more...stuff in it, and...seriously, if they actually got rid of everything you said "nobody" uses and complained about as "useless", the game would be so PLAIN.  I'd even be a little sad if red caps were gone--and I quite often play as Wigfrid, who can't even eat 'em without a crockpot!

You know what?  I  dare you to make a positive thread (about Don't Starve; a _random_ positive subject doesn't count).  I triple-dog-dare you with a cherry on top!  Come on.  Try it.  I DARE you!  I bet you can't even do it without exploding!  (And by the way, I'm talking childishly on purpose, it's for a joke.)  I would LOVE to see it, and I bet most would agree with me.  Every single thing you say is so negative.  EVERY single thing.  Is it within your capabilties as a human being to express _joy_ towards the game that the forums YOU CHOSE TO SIGN UP ON are about?  I mean, if you hate it so much..._why do you even PLAY it_?

Also it's perfectly possible to offer criticism without _insulting_ the other person OR their point of view; I suggest you look into it.  It would save you pages and pages and pages' worth of typing angry responses, and save the rest of us a lot of anger.  What you do, is you build your point UP to look better; rather than tearing theirs down.  Try it sometime!

...Notorious

10 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

So. Another thread... I emm... Somebody suggested before that I should make a thread dedicated to the things that I find bad about this game. Well, this is sorta it, but it's sort of not? I just think that useless or more specifically non-usage (items not being used, like, nearly at all) of certain things is important to talk about. And cool, we got uses for moon rocks and compass and are yet to get some more for them, but... There's plenty more things that need tweaking. Remember, this is based on what I've observed over time whilst playing this game in terms of what other players use and in terms of what I myself have found useful, so your experience might suggest otherwise. Well, actually this is for DST AND DS, so, it's a mix and match of various things.

Don't Starve Together

Hide contents

* Night Lights - Extremely useful in single player Vanilla and RoG. Completely and utterly useless in DST and Shipwrecked (wait, can you even craft these in Shipwrecked worlds?), but regardless, the bigger problem is with DST. It's an item that exists there, but has basically no use. The thing that made it ever so useful in single player Vanilla and RoG was that you could craft a bunch of them in the Ruins and use the nightmare fuel that dropped from nightmares after they died due to nightmare phase ending to fuel the Night Lights all you wanted. Now? They're more or less useless. Good as a decor, but functionally have no use in DST, considering you can only fuel them with Nightmare Fuel, which isn't as easy to come by, unless you're insane 24/7 or something. Things I think that could be added to it is if you could fuel it via Living Logs, cause lets be honest; late game worlds get a bunch of tree guards and you end up having a full chest with them. And second would be that it could act as a temperature regulating source as well; it would cool you off if you're overheating and warm you up if you're dying from the cold. Kind of like normal and endothermic firepit all in one :p just that the fuel source is a bit costly, in particular for early-game.

If its costly for early game, Don't make it early game. I love Night Lights, because they look good. And lategame as this is essentially a base building game from that point, looking nice is a fantastic perk. They're useful too thanks to your variety of characters that can farm nightmare fuel better than the average Wilson. Its a fancy firepit that works on Nightmare Fuel basically.

* Insulated Pack - for a giant's item that also takes 3 gears, this is so useless, I can't even. Rezecib has made a mod which increases its slots to 8, but this approach just makes its concept useless if you get a piggy back or better yet a Krampus sack as it would just become a Backpack that has some of the Ice Box's traits to it. I'd suggest keeping the 6 slots, being able to keep food from going stale for just as long as in Ice Box if it doesn't already, keep ice from melting forever, cool down Thermal stones and Make it inflammable, because none of its craftables actually burn, unless you count that the fur tufts that make up thick fur burn individually, but the thick fur itself does not! Same goes for single player.

Of course it gets outmatched, it still is a backpack, they are all outmatched by the Krampus Sack when that arrives, but until then, yes,  Insulated Pack is still one of the worst. Other than that you have a valid idea for a buff for this, and it needs it.

* Weather Pain - Just buff up its uses and perhaps allow it to be fueled via Down Feathers. That's all I'm asking for. Unless, you want to like, make gears and volt goat horns more accessible, that could work too, I guess. Regardless, for what it is, this isn't neither a reliable weapon nor a reliable tool, especially ever since Klei nerfed it in DST and it requiring more hits to destroy a tree, which I am not sure as to why this was implemented. Same goes for single player, and even more so for single player, because in multiplayer Down Feathers are a lot more common.

Yeah I also am all for a buff to make it work like in DS, at least as a tool. It's a bunch of tools in one, impractical as a weapon. Making it impractical as a tool as well would be essentially making it inferior to Maxwell/even Woodie.

* Broken shells - If you're grinding for Shelmets/Snurtle Shell Armours, you might just get a bunch of Broken shells along the way. The thing is that not only are they broken (aesthetically), but they're also useless (literally) :( if you got them every now and then, yeah, their decorative use could be well fit, but if you're grinding for those fancy Shellmets/Snurlte Shell Armours, you'll get a bunch of them and essentially, you'll just have to feed them to your good ol' pal Lureplant. Same goes for single player. Which brings me to the next two items/things...

Repairing the shelmet/shell armour with the broken shells could work, as well.

* Shelmet - It's kind of a joke at this point. It looks cool and is better in durability as well as in protection, but they're way too unreliable. Think about how many people will go through Shelmets in a few days if they used them constantly and, lets say there's 4 professionals on the server. They're way too unreliable and not worth going for, just to get some extra protection for your head. I would say that it should have 95% instead of 90% protection and should be repairable via Broken shells because for one we don't have any head armour that has this protection amount, but we have TWO body armours that have this (Marble Suit and Night Armour) and for two, it's inferior to the Thulecite Crown in every way; its reliability, its durability and its protection (it's the same, but the crown has the occasional shield popping up, which provides 100% protection and during the time keeps the crown from losing durability). I would also like to direct you to this thread I made ages ago, but that drowned in the sinking sand of the deserted Suggestion thread: 

They mostly exist for variety, and Slurtle Farms are easy enough to set up that this isn't too much. It's not a must, its essentially a "I got time and capability, look at my helmet, it looks cool". Such as using Houndius Shootius/Thulecite Walls to show off(unless you can find a use for the Houndius that is), in a way.

Same goes for single player.

* Ferns - whilst foliage is renewable, the place where you would typically find them is not a place where you can renewably get them... What?! If flowers are renewable on the overworld and regrow by themselves, then why aren't ferns? Please, just make them respawn! Same goes for single player.

Agreed on this.

* Belt of Hunger, Summer Frest, Rain coat and all other torso-related clothing - it's basically useless. Whilst I've seen some people occasionally use them, hand them over to newbies or playing without using using backpacks nearly all of the time... most people don't use these. Like, ever. Why? Because Backpacks and Krampus sacks are the soulmate of torso equip slots. I honestly do not know what to do about this, other than allowing for backpacks to have a whole new equip slot for themselves, like some mods allow it, or perhaps having some more inventory space when you equip clothing (but just a little bit more if we're going down this route), though I'm sure Klei could think of something spectactular, right guys? ... right...? Oh and why does the Breezy vest have 60 insulation instead of 120? Considering that Dapper vest has 60 and there's none that has 120, it would make sense if the Breezy vest had 120, making it the middle tier torso clothing, which as it stands doesn't even exist in the game. Same goes for single player.

They exist for variety's sake. At some point, you don't need a backpack on you 24/7. At which point you can be a bit more free too. For example Magilumenscence, head slot armor, weapon, moggles and rain coat, practically anything with the hibearnation vest, etc. etc. etc.

The Vests probably just exist as an extra option while not being a preferred one at all. If for example you dont want to kill a beefalo, you're not doomed, you have the Vests/a cat cap.

* Darts - oh boy, you knew this was coming ;) I am just sick of not being able to use darts unless I have a reed farm and if I grind to farm a bunch of feathers. And even then they're pretty much "meh"! The amount of damage they deal doesn't matter as much as the amount of durability they have... which is one. And they stack up to only 20. Which is 20 uses. Whilst at the same time, Dark sword or a Tentacle spike are just the best in comparison because they have five times the durability and they're easy to obtain per amount of this durability. And plus, after some things got damage buff, darts have become x2 as useless for those mobs (even those mobs are the ones that you would typically actually want to kill with darts if you ever used them, such as Deerclops, Bearger, Spider Queen etc.), plus the fact that if you keep shooting them at a mob, it's much slower than when just hitting an enemy and because fire damage got nerfed hugely... it now takes 7 whole fire darts to kill one spider... What?! Because of this ridiculousness, I would suggest the following: 1) Have a new item called Blow pipe, which requires 2 or so reeds to craft. 2) You would get 4 darts each time you craft a dart and they would no longer require reeds to craft, so 1 azure feather and 1 hounds teeth would give you 4 blow darts. These darts could then be fueled within the blowpipe one at a time. So, they would be ranged and deal more damage per, but generally require a tad bit more resources and effort to gain and would let you shoot much slower, depending on how fast you refuel your blow pipe. 3) Darts would stack up to 40 4) Fire darts would deal 50 - 75 damage first before igniting the target upon hit. And that's it. Klei can probably think of some other ways, but this is the way it would make most sense and would keep the darts relatively useful and worth the while to get and use, whilst not making melee weapons obsolete. Same goes for single player.

Oh noooooo, the good but expensive item is expensive. What do.

Bunny puff - The amount of them you get later on... this might have to do with the Bunnies respawning every day and not every 4 days like pigs do. But their puff really has no uses other than making more of their houses and, well, something that nobody really uses; Fur Roll. It has only 3 uses and really, because all of the stats can be restored anyway through the use of food which you can get a whole bunch of, just sitting there doing nothing whilst your stats recover is just lame. Implementing the energy stat could make the puff and the roll it's made out of very useful, but that's something that would sort of overhaul the whole game, kind of like insanity did when it was introduced. Either way, I've heard some people say they loved the idea of having energy that you need to take care of via sleeping or sitting down, so it's something to consider. Regardless, having something more to craft out of the puff, perhaps adding/substituting it in the warm clothings recipes could work? May be for Hibearnation vest (replacing rope or Dapper Vest) and... PUFFY vest ;) (instead of it requiring 2 beefalo wool, it would require 2 bunny puffs) and what about the winter hat? In terms of its texture, I would say it being made out of 4 silk and 4 bunny puffs could work really well! Yeah, it would mean that the only most notable use for beefalo wool would become th shaving/killing beefalo. Plus, carpeted flooring, Bernie and Saddles still use it >_> (P.S could you make the puff so that monsters wouldn't eat them? It just makes no sense that they do!).

Puffs are better for gold tbh. As in, pig king gives gold for them, and they're quite abundant and you don't really lose anything.

Butter - it's rare, it's unreliable... why does it exist exactly? Because it's a pun to butterflies dropping them? Then what about the Waffles? It would be great if we could turn Volt Goat Milk into some Butter and perhaps if we could, you know... Milk the Volt Goats and perhaps Beefalo too? Either way, it being more common somehow would be nice, considering how many pierogis we can craft late-game. Same goes for single player.

Its a pun, with some uses that could do quite a bit. It also lasts for a while. It's not supposed to be common or reliable. For that Volt Goats and their milk exists.

Fireflies - as a fuel source, they are not great largely due to the fact that they don't respawn. Perhaps, once you pick one, another would respawn in the same biome in a random place in the world, encouraging exploring/going around the world every now and then? Just as an alternative to light bulbs. I know people can keep them around the base to stay as a permanent light source but... wait, people already do that! And unless you made them respawn instantly, I don't see them being placed everywhere at any point in the game. Plus, what is the point in them being a fuel source in the first place if they're not going to be used for this purpose unless it's an emergency? Besides running in circles, especially if you introduce energy into the game might not be that big of a problem. Or perhaps, they could fade away before someone actually gets close enough to provide any light source; that could be done too.Just, please, whatever you do, make them renewable. Same goes for single player.

In the base building game, they're really only used for creating nice paths of light. Honestly they could use them similarly to Buoys in SW. A legit, infinite light, only that its radius isn't as big as the lanterns', to offset that. Fireflies respawning should be implemented in some way but I have to see your idea of it is quite bothersome. 

Chester - due to his movement speed and the fact that he doesn't teleport to you if you outrun him unless you go through a wormhole. Perhaps make him run at the speed of the person the player who is holding the eyebone is running? Because otherwise, he goes from a portable chest to, well, just a stationary chest. Same goes for single player.

I rarely use Chester outside of early/early mid game, but this should be good.

Glommer - Pretty much the same as chester. Same goes for single player. Having a larger radius of sanity buff would be great too, considering that there's multiple players in one place a lot of the time.

Same for Chester. 

Foliage - It would be great to have a garland alternative for caves made out of foliage. And perhaps it being an ingredient for carpeted flooring, since the flooring is purple? But the reason it's pretty much useless if, well, because it doesn't give you sanity when picked like flowers do, only has a decorative craftable and has the awesome use of giving you 1 hp when eaten. And that's it. Like, what's even the point of keeping them/picking ferns? Same goes for single player.

Ferns. As in, the potted ones. When the game becomes a base building game, decoration becomes a lot more important, so having some of it, is not bad. Also Garland is useless pretty much, so making that for Ferns is not giving them a use, its adding another craftable with no use. 

Gunpowder - pretty tough to get your hands on it and... for what? Especially since nobody likes to waste away food, even eggs, we don't have any eggs left in the chest to rot in order to make some gunpowder. It was best when Pengulls used to provide them for us, like in single player, but because of the bug that is in the game, rotten eggs have become a lot less common. If Shipwrecked gets introduced in DST and the recipes that require gunpowder actually become worth the while and useful, then perhaps the grind will be worth it. But right now... nobody's using it for anything, really. Same goes for single player, but to a bit lesser of an extent due to the fact that Pengulls there are not bugged and respawn, as far as I'm aware.

"we", who are these "we" you talk about? I only use Gunpowder for Dragonfly in DS and in DST to initiate an earthquake. Some people use it to kill everything. Everyone use it differently but you have to admit, it has its uses. Besides, its dirt cheap and you don't need pengulls for the eggs, you just get a bunch of monster meat, cook it, make it into eggs, leave them on the ground and let them rot. Make them wet to make the process go faster.

* Pan Flutes - The amount of times that STS is used on so many things cannot even begin to compare with the pan flute. Whilst Pan flute is technically renewable due to deconstruction staff, it would be much wiser to use the staves on thulecite, considering how rare they are. Mandrakes themselves can be cooked, eaten or cooked in crock pot for Mandrake soup by some newbie or just simply stolen by a looter. If there was some way to renew Mandrakes, lets say 1% for it to grow from farms (when normal seeds are planted), 5% chance to get second mandrake seed from giving mandrake to bird in cage, could not only make them easier to renew and make both mandrakes and pan flutes renewable even if all mandrakes and pan flutes are gone, but also multiply them if you so chose to as well as make farms much more worth the while, as some people have said that they're more or less useless. Or perhaps take this idea as a way of renewing them (we need more meep!): 

If Mandrakes would be renewable(Or world hopping would be implemented. World Hopping should be implemented either way, its the only reason me and quite a few people keep playing post 400 days) it could be good, but as it stands, Pan Flutes are harder to renew than STS, but take less to cast than STS(less time). STS' range also makes it better for aoe sleep when you don't have something on your tail, but Pan Flute will do better if you do.

* Tents and Siesta Lean-tos - same as for fur rolls. As for straw rolls, for what they provide, whilst they're not as commonly used, if they are quite useful; keeps you from dying in the night if you have nothing to craft a light source with or you have no other way of restoring sanity and all you have is some bit of grass. Same goes for single player.

I actually ended up using them a few times. Are they amazingly useful/mandatory? No. Are they useful enough to stay and not need a buff? Yes. When so many killer bees attack you when you have a very low durability armor, ping is going ape****, etc. etc., having that recovery without using anything major is pretty great(A personal exprience I still recall).

* Killer Bees and Misquitos as items - you don't get a frog or a spider when you catch these in a trap. Why do I get Killer Bees and Mosquitos as items when I catch them? I know it makes a tad bit more sense, but you don't get frogs or spiders as items once you pick up a trap that they got caught in. So what is the purpose of this? I guess they could have some uses if you place them down to fight off a mob for you, but why not use the normal bees instead then? At least they're not hostile towards players most of the time! Yeah, killer bees have a bit faster attack period, but that isn't going to change a lot. Same goes for single player. Speaking of bees...

Setting traps. Or murdering them without a weapon.

* Bee mine - does anybody ever use these for anything? Tooth traps are so much better than these in every way! Crafting bee mines is like crafting a bee box for the sole purpose of it acting as a tooth trap. I honestly do not have a clue as to how these could be made useful and I have yet to see any awesome suggestions, but just add something to this, Klei, please? Same goes for single player.

Tooth Traps are bothersome eventually, and Houndius(if you get multiples, if you don't the ruins might as well not exist because a single ruin is...crappy. Very much so.) are always better. But yeah Bee Mines are worse than the two. They're cool in concept though.

If they were more like grenades instead of mines, as in, the initial hit dealt damage, and then the bees did too, they probably would be better, specially since itll mean they'll be a ranged weapon instead of worse tooth traps.

* The Lazy Forager - we all already know what's so bad about it, but I'll repeat this anyway... Can't refuel it/small amount of uses/what would you even use it for anyway? Same goes for single player.

Refuel, auto harvest harvestables, AND FFS PICK UP STACKS INSTEAD OF A SINGLE ITEM EVERY TIME. Do that and its useful.

* Various crock pot foods as well as some general foods - things like Fish sticks and Unagi really need revision, I feel, because Unagi is a ruins food item, but as far as its usefulness goes to the ruins exploration itself... just nope; I mean even Jerky is better in every way than this is! I would suggest that Unagi should give more sanity upon consumption, lets say 30. It'll be better in terms of sanity than jerky and the same in terms of health, but a little inferior in terms of hunger and lasts x2 less, making it great for ruins exploration and not needing tamoshanter with you or taffy down in the ruins. As for Fishsticks... Just let it give you 50 hp instead of 40, because it's otherwise inferior to pierogis in pretty much every way. There's probably plenty other recipes that need tweaking, although I'm not going to go through each one of them right now, considering this is getting pretty long anyway. Another significant recipe to revisit is Fist Full of jam. Just 5 extra sanity from cooking 4 berries in a crock pot in comparison to eating 4 cooked berries? Same goes for single player.

Yes a lot of Crock Pot dishes are useless. Unagi is ****TTTTT, even more so in singleplayer with Surf 'n' Turf and so are some other things. Fistful of Jam i always found is mainly to make use of spoiling fruits quickly. Fishsticks are fine as is.

* Marble suit and marble - considering it reduces your mobility by 30% and requires a ton of marble AND takes up your torso slot... it's pretty darn useless for its purpose; tanking mobs. For making it better suited for its purpose, I would suggest it having more durability, perhaps double or even tripple durability and it being possible to be repaired via marble. Or simply requiring less marble to craft and marble being much more easy to obtain renewably. Regardless, it needs some way of staying durable, because its pretty low durability seems to be its biggest issue with tanking mobs. If its durability is increased, then it could prove for a completely new way of playing the game and kiting not being so essential anymore. Hand out marble suits to newbies who don't know how to kite yet? Oh hell yes! Same goes for single player.

What the hell is Kiting, are you talking about ping that allows you to actually dodge? Nonesense!  And more seriously, Marble Suits aren't great, Marble is good because of checkered flooring, more uses would be welcome.

* One Man Band - the main use of this musical instrument is attracting mobs to help you out in works that would normally require you to feed them meat/vegetables. Considering that this item requires 4 pig skin, has low durability, makes you totally insane in a short amount of time if you have a lot of followers and takes up torso slot to use... it's pretty darn useless. I've two simple suggestions to make this item a tad bit more useful; DRASTICALLY increase its durability (lets say to 3 days instead of 3 minutes) and make it increase your sanity depending on the amount of mobs you have instead of decreasing it. Do that and I bet people will start using it mid and late game instead of using meat to get followers to help them with chopping down trees or killing a bunch of stuff. Same goes for single player.

Its cost, durability, and sanity drain are all not the issues. The issue is much simpler. Its the quite low cap for how many followers it gets. Durability is second place issue, sanity drain is third, cost is fourth. With how easy Sanity is to manage and how many options for that we have, having ANOTHER one would be truly useless if it would be a crappy item all around other than restoring sanity.

* Ice Cube - Oh, where do I even begin with this... I guess I'll explain the main reason this is not really used that much or at all; wetness. Whilst for Fashion Melon it's bearable, for the Ice Cube it isn't. Wanna keep away from heat? Sure, have an ice cube, but guess what the price is; your sanity or if you're using Piggyback or Krampus sack, then the alternative is your pocket inventory! No, just no. Considering that it's an item that slows you down by whopping 10% (Might not be too much, but if you have a Piggyback that already decreases your movement speed by 10%, this would really suck), needs to be constantly refueled by ice as well, who would honestly use it? Thermal stone alone is so much better in every way and it just requires a pickaxe and a bunch of rocks to craft. Ice cube used to be used by many people back when it didn't cause you to go wet, including myself, but now it's not only a joke in its aesthetics (it looks weird and funny, is my point) but also a joke in its mechanics. I would suggest changing its movement speed reduction to 5%, make it increase wetness up until 33 and have ice repair more durability for it/have it degrade slower, because goddamn; not even 4 days and you already need like 9 ice to repair it? How much ice do we need to prepare for our first summer then? A full ice box? Over 9000? Consider that ice is also needed for flingos! Same goes for single player.

Oh no, im losing sanity. Its not like there's 101 ways to deal with it. Speed Reduction is actually a bad idea for this, speed reduction can only be added to things strong enough to still be good without it. And when the chilling amulet/Feather Fan/Endothermic fires/kind of everything that cools you down, are a thing, ice cubes are meh. 

* Fashion Melon - Two things. One is it's main problem, which is its durability; like come on! 3 Days?! Make that 9 days, please, ain't nobody is going to farm Water melons so that each player gets 5 throughout the whole duration of summer (15 days of summer / 3 days of one fashion melon durability = you need 5 fashion melons to go through the whole summer. That's just ONE player)! And two... if Ice Cube is tweaked to have its wetness to 33, meaning that you'll instantly get wet once rain starts, having some time to dry off if it starts to rain in summer before actually getting wet whilst wearing this would be great, so perhaps reduce the max wetness it can give to 30? Same goes for single player.

*shrugs*

* Nightmare Amulet - Just its durability and the amount of stuff it requires to craft... not really worth it. Why would I exchange some gold, 2 purple gems and a bit of nightmare fuel for possibly a little more nightmare fuel? Just increase its durability and it'll be fine, I'd say. Would keep us from exploiting wormholes for going insane late game and possibly mid-game instead :p Same goes for single player.

"possibly a little more". You don't use it right then. IIRC once you aggro the Nightmare, it will stay solid even when you dont wear the amulet, until it de-aggroes.

* Piack/Axe - Its durability for what it does in comparison to the effort you need to craft one or two of these... completely not worth it. It's just combining golden Pickaxe and Axe, taking away one of their durability and keeping one slot free, whilst taking 2 of your thulecite. The 1/2 less hits on rocks/trees respectively doesn't really cut it. If you increased its durability to, say x4 the amount it has now (496 - 1600), then perhaps it would be used much more frequently late-game, considering how hard it is to renew thulecite. Same goes for single player.

Not hard to renew in singleplayer but not worth it by the time renewing is easy. 

* Pumpkin lantern - I guess it's kind of thematic that it lights up during dusk, however it losing durability during this time... not that great, considering that it only lasts 10 - 12.5 minutes and requires constant pumpkin farming to keep alive and to kill it before it dies off so that the fireflies don't disappear... not that great. If fireflies dropped even when the pumpkin lantern died off and the thing didn't lose durability during dusk (although it would still light up), unless you're in caves perhaps and would have more durability overall (perhaps x4 than it currently has, which might last a whole season, so that if you're keeping like 5 or 6 in your base, it isn't so much of an annoyance to replace them). Or perhaps give them a whole new use entirely? An alternative to Lantern in that they can be held in your hand? Same goes for single player.

Works I guess. I actually forgot this was a thing, heh.

There's litearly no use other than *proceeds to state the use*

* Slurper pelt - It's kind of a shame that something this rare and hard to obtain has one use, which nobody uses anyway (Belt of Hunger). Just add something more to this? Same goes for single player.

Good enough.

* Walls - not only is it annoying when mobs attack them, even though they haven't aggroed onto anything else and even when they are they could easily go around the walls, they still attack them. But the biggest kicker is that there is no point in repairing them and considering that it already takes a whole bunch of resources to just craft a bunch to surround a certain area, repairing them has even less use, considering their durability. I would suggest introducing roofs and perhaps doors/gates as well so that we could make somewhat decent houses for ourselves, because it really makes no sense for our characters to not make them, considering that they've already lived in the DS world for so long and are now together, which could make building a fine house much more viable. I'd argue that the same goes for single player, considering how long you have lived there. And I know some people have said that it'll just become OP. Well, if you need tier 3 walls in more or less each corner of each roof tile (which could be the size of 4 floorings, perhaps) to keep it in tact, I honestly don't see how this could become OP. Besides, it could be implemented so that certain things would need to be left without a roof on their head, such as crops as it would block sunlight and incoming rain or something. In terms of walls themselves, the most useless ones would have to be wooden walls and moon rock walls. Wooden ones due to the fact that they just have x2 durability as grass walls and act pretty much in the same way (they burn) and require a TON of resources to craft for what they are and for moon rock walls, well, 12 hard-to-get moon rocks for just 4 wall segments and them being easily destroyed via just a normal weapon (because their main purpose was to keep players away from a certain area... well, this doesn't seem to work well and really needs revisiting, I feel).

They're decoration. I assume they're not even meant to have a use other than that.

WHAT!? "I personally never saw anyone use it" Personally? You know that word? Madness!

Don't Starve

Hide contents

* Deerclops Eyeball - Everything but the single player Vanilla has this taken care of; once you craft 3 Shootiuses... What are you supposed to do with the other eyeballs? Eat them? Keep them as decoration? Feed them to my Lureplant? Errr.... Some other use would be great. Considering that the Scales have 3 uses, why not for Deerclops' Eyeball? Of course, don't make this Vanilla exclusive... just that because you cannot craft an Eyebrella, makes the items somewhat useless. The same goes sort of for single player RoG worlds; you craft 3 shootiuses, 1 eyebrella... then what?

More houndius(world hopping). Also its a meat item that never spoils and has some positive effects too. You can also make more eyebrellas. I'm sure you'll think of something.

Don't Starve Reign of Giants

Hide contents

Thick Fur - Similarly to the situation with Deerclops' eyeball in both RoG and Vanilla, the Thick fur becomes useless after you craft an Insulated Pack (which in and of itself is actually useless) and the Hibrenation Vest. Unlike Dragonfly's scales, with which you can craft scalemail which essentially will degrade from durability and break if you craft it and the fact that the more Scaled Chests you craft, the better and that the Down Feathers' craftables BOTH degrade (although being possible to refuel would be nice), this is not the case for the Thick Fur and it becomes useless after just 2 times of usage, unless you accidentally let your Insulated Pack burn or your Hibearnation Vest degrade to 0%.

I'd use it a couple more times but yeah you have a point here.

Don't Starve Shipwrecked

Hide contents

I'm a SW salt bucket, if I touched this this would become my rant.

For those who think "oh, well, it's just some things that are useless, just use the things that are useful!" - in that case what is even the point of having these things in the game? Might as well just remove them as nobody is really crafting them/using them, are they? They're a large chunk of content in the game that has potential, but for whatever reason have been made so useless that nobody ever uses them. How this happens still bugs me to this day.

What do you think of the things I've suggested and have found useless? Is there anything else that I haven't mentioned and you guys have found useless?

Btw, pardon me if I say something that might sound rude or something. This whole thing took me the whole day to write... It might take people the whole day to read, but... Worth it! For bettering the game...! *dies to starvation*

You need to understand, alternatives are a thing. You get the eyebrella? Good for you, but your buddies didn't, we need to make sure they don't die either. 

My notes are in bold.

8 hours ago, PeterA said:

:(

:p

Ignore the above. Phone is being stupid again.

@TheHalcyonOne Well, thanks for pointing this out, I was not aware. I'mnpretty sure I meantplayers in general and not everybody, even though I said "everybody".

The small larger reveal radius means jack, really. Something that degrades quickly, needs science machine to prototype, has little sanity aura and needs a double the stuff to make than before, what's the point? Just use sleek hat after your first few hound attacks, that's much wiser and that is much more useful. Ice cube's main problems are the high wetness and movement speed reduction. Unless it's some emergency, it'll sit there in ice box, forever alone.

You stated we only want to use dark swords and log suits or whatever, which is what I responded to there.

Now everybody. Can you please stop with the "oh, why r u being so negative, give us something positive. Stop being rude pls too" even though I have not shown anyrudenessbhere and habe said multiple times that I am trying my best not to be rude. As for negativity, just deal with it. Is that so much to ask for? I am negative and there's no changing it. And I'd argue that it's even good that I'm negative considering how everyone else is positive, meaningI can and willb point out things others never really do. Amdplease, stay on topic!

@AnonymousKoala thanks for your evaluation. I will say you've made some good points, but a few things; notice that the Deerclops Eyeball is inder Don't Statve category and not Don't Starve Reign of Giants? You can't make Eyebrella in Vanilla. Although the point goes to RoG too. But who would actually eat the thing? Crafting shootius or eyebrella is much wiser than getting a ton of hp and losing a bunch of sanity, don't you think? Plus it's a boss specific item, so having something ro actually expend it on instead of eating or keeping as decoration would be good, for both Vanilla and RoG (although just putting it into Vanilla will automatically put it into RoG as well).

@CaptainChaotica this is also for Klei, not just forum. And I made this thread so that others could talk about useless things as well, if you read the bottom of my first post here. As for rudeness, upabove already addressed it.

22 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Now everybody. Can you please stop with the "oh, why r u being so negative, give us something positive. Stop being rude pls too" even though I have not shown anyrudenessbhere and habe said multiple times that I am trying my best not to be rude. As for negativity, just deal with it. Is that so much to ask for? I am negative and there's no changing it. And I'd argue that it's even good that I'm negative considering how everyone else is positive, meaningI can and willb point out things others never really do. Amdplease, stay on topic!

That's a fair point, actually. Nobody is going to gain anything if we just create an echochamber, sharing criticism is kind of the point of these forums. That and dnak maymays.

39 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

:p

Ignore the above. Phone is being stupid again.

@TheHalcyonOne Well, thanks for pointing this out, I was not aware. I'mnpretty sure I meantplayers in general and not everybody, even though I said "everybody".

The small larger reveal radius means jack, really. Something that degrades quickly, needs science machine to prototype, has little sanity aura and needs a double the stuff to make than before, what's the point? Just use sleek hat after your first few hound attacks, that's much wiser and that is much more useful. Ice cube's main problems are the high wetness and movement speed reduction. Unless it's some emergency, it'll sit there in ice box, forever alone.

You stated we only want to use dark swords and log suits or whatever, which is what I responded to there.

@AnonymousKoala thanks for your evaluation. I will say you've made some good points, but a few things; notice that the Deerclops Eyeball is inder Don't Statve category and not Don't Starve Reign of Giants? You can't make Eyebrella in Vanilla. Although the point goes to RoG too. But who would actually eat the thing? Crafting shootius or eyebrella is much wiser than getting a ton of hp and losing a bunch of sanity, don't you think? Plus it's a boss specific item, so having something ro actually expend it on instead of eating or keeping as decoration would be good, for both Vanilla and RoG (although just putting it into Vanilla will automatically put it into RoG as well).

@CaptainChaotica this is also for Klei, not just forum. And I made this thread so that others could talk about useless things as well, if you read the bottom of my first post here. As for rudeness, upabove already addressed it.

"a bunch" Can be recovered with around 3 jerky. Jerky is not hard to get at all.

When you have 50 eyebrellas, more Houndius than you know what to do with, I'd say Eyes are a pretty good snack. Which is also the situation you brought up in your posts.

And I meant in terms of thinking of a smart way to farm things. For example attracting batilisks to their death via a never spoiling meat item(aka Deerclops Eyeball)

Archived