[FORUMS-RELATED] What is happening over here?

Arlesienne

Good practices on the forums: savoir-vivre, quality of discussion, member-to-member behaviour.  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel some of the community spirit of the forums is gone?

• Yes, there has been a decline in good behaviour.
    • No, everything is perfect, behaviour-wise.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like to appeal to all of you: is it a correct (if so, incredibly woeful) notion that the general quality of discussion on the forums has declined? I am deeply saddened by how often I see heated arguments with less and less attention paid to savoir-vivre. More often than not, moderators have to close the threads. Some topics end up really toxic and immature. I notice asterisks in place of censored expletives. It really worries me. What happened? When I joined, I was impressed by the maturity of the boards. Now, well... It is something to ponder. Something feels wrong, though I cannot put my finger on it.

The thread does not aim at offending anyone personally. The old crone signed below simply wants to assess if it is just my false impression. I would like to be wrong in my assessment.

Sincerely,

Arlesienne

Typing on mobile. There will be typos.

Forums have their ups and downs simply due to the nature of the internet. 

Asterisk blocking swears has happened for as long as I can rememver. I don't suspect it will change.

Sometimes posts just get out of hand, not every dispute can stay civil.

In conclusion, I don't think the forums are going downhill, I just think some arguments have gotten out of hand recently.

24 minutes ago, MiniKeeper said:

Typing on mobile. There will be typos.

Forums have their ups and downs simply due to the nature of the internet. 

Asterisk blocking swears has happened for as long as I can rememver. I don't suspect it will change.

Sometimes posts just get out of hand, not every dispute can stay civil.

In conclusion, I don't think the forums are going downhill, I just think some arguments have gotten out of hand recently.

This was my impression. Oddly enough, it has been happening lately on a worrisome scale.

Is this because of the private property thread I made? Hmm... I realize my mistakes. Though it's human nature to make mistakes; nobody's perfect. I would say that a lot more criticism and negativity has been presented, at least in terms of DS and DST, dunno about other games, reason being probably that issues aren't being addressed...

It's strange; recently I suggested prediction being something to enable and disable and it got added in a few days layer. About two days ago, however someone who knew me from the forum told me that this suggestion has been running down for about two years and that they have been posting this suggestion multiple times. So, I really wonder what's with the suggestions and feedback and whether Klei reads them, even every now and then.

Also your topic answers do not address the question itself; "spirit" doesn't necessarily equate behaviour. Behaviour, I think was partly my fault. Every time I learn something new; apparently you can't say someone's opinion is stupid... Which is kind of stupid :p. And yes, I've read the rules beforehand. But the spirit... Of you mean the hype or excitement, well, the game has exited beta and the first A New Reign update didn't bring much to the table, plus Shipwrecked got pushed out and then sort of left hanging half polished, so why wouldn't the "spirit" be gone?

Spoiler
7 minutes ago, earthmate said:

i've noticed a lot of negativity lately, too. it's kind of a bummer and also why i'm hesitant on joining in any discussions. :wilson_blush:

I don't understand why people find negativity so bad. It's good in a sense that it lets others know of an issue that needs addressing. Trying to be happy isn't going to solve the issue; letting it be known and it being solved will, however.

Sorry for putting the above in a spoiler... My phone is stupid.

7 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:
  Hide contents

I don't understand why people find negativity so bad. It's good in a sense that it lets others know of an issue that needs addressing. Trying to be happy isn't going to solve the issue; letting it be known and it being solved will, however.

Sorry for putting the above in a spoiler... My phone is stupid.

probably because, like i said, negativity is a bummer for some people. plus, you can solve or address an issue and not be negative about it, too. it doesn't hurt to be a little optimistic and have a better outlook or attitude. 

9 minutes ago, earthmate said:

probably because, like i said, negativity is a bummer for some people. plus, you can solve or address an issue and not be negative about it, too. it doesn't hurt to be a little optimistic and have a better outlook or attitude. 

I like to be negative or at the very least neutral. Then I don't get my hopes up for anything and if something truly does go to crap, I am not surprised and I am not angry, or even disappointed. Rather if something good comes when you expect the worst. Because otherwise things can be filled with lies and ******** stories, just to make things seem brighter than they really are and I honestly hate and cringe from that. Sorry to be a negativity bomb, but that's me. I still do laugh and crack on jokes. Just not when talking about game mechanics for the most part.

People are able to do feedback without negativity. It's why negativity is bad, when feedback are great.

And yes, feedback could tell "something is wrong for me" without being negative. Something polite, that is your opinion and open to discussion, with explanation, and respect for the work done, even if you don't like it.

9 minutes ago, Lumina said:

People are able to do feedback without negativity. It's why negativity is bad, when feedback are great.

And yes, feedback could tell "something is wrong for me" without being negative. Something polite, that is your opinion and open to discussion, with explanation, and respect for the work done, even if you don't like it.

I think that just shuts up criticism. Also does everything have to be an opinion? What if the current work done is poor? Can I say "currently this and that lacks content, creativity and some decent amount of thought"? Or should I be "I loveit all so much, but could you pls (just a tiny pls) add this?" <= for some reason I imagined myself as a tiny mouse when saying that and pooping right after I finish the sentence. I have a weird brain, don't judge me >_>

1 hour ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

I think that just shuts up criticism. Also does everything have to be an opinion? What if the current work done is poor? Can I say "currently this and that lacks content, creativity and some decent amount of thought"? Or should I be "I loveit all so much, but could you pls (just a tiny pls) add this?" <= for some reason I imagined myself as a tiny mouse when saying that and pooping right after I finish the sentence. I have a weird brain, don't judge me >_>

You can say what you have to say without being rude about it, yeah.

Did someone say they wanted incoherence? I got chu fam: *clears throat*

*ehem*

Nah, criticism is welcomed... (1) the way it's phrased and (2) the people receiving/object of criticism and (3) what is being criticized are to be kept in mind though...

Keeping in mind the "feel" of the room is a big thing as well... imagine a guy yelling that "bronies suck" in an MLP convention filled with bronies... that may be a hyperbole of some situations but the main theme still stands...

If a criticism is meant to arouse a good change, then the idiom "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" should be kept in mind...

If it is to incite a mob following, then big angry words would be effective... really yell out stuff... if the consensus of the "room" is aligned with your own, then that would significantly raise your chances of having backups...

The world now is too PC... I remember when I was a kid... being spanked was called discipline, not abuse...

hard-times-create-strong-men-strong-men-

@EuedeAdodooedoe

No, being polite and constructive doesn't shut up criticism, it's what make criticism usefull.

You could tell that "this part of the game, for me, lacks content, i would like more depth in it". I think (personal point of view) that telling "it lacks creativity and decent amount of thought" isn't constructive criticism, because you don't know the internal process. Maybe there was a lot of thought, but it didn't show, for example. Maybe some point are still in work, and you'll see result later. Maybe it's creative in some way but your playstyle doesn't fit with this creativity.

Telling "it lacks creativity and decent amount of thought" is rude, possibly not true for everyone, subjective, and it doesn't help discussion. Doesn't mean you can't tell you think something is wrong. Maybe you can express this in a way more constructive ?

"I think this part of the game deserve more complex mechanic." (you are telling that you find it not enough, but without attacking the work done) "I find this part of the game repetitive, you can survive just by doing this and this the entire season" (you are telling what is wrong for you, you have example of why, but again, no attack) "i find this part of the game too hard because" "i find this part of the game too easy because", etc...

This is feedback, it's not telling "the game is so perfect, me and my unicorn friend are in love with it". But it's not something agressive either.

Also, i find it helpful telling "i feel" rather than "the game is". Because telling "the game is" is like if it's an universal truth, which isn't (Some players will love things i dislike and i like things they find bad). "I fell", "I think", "for me", it's usefull for everyone. The one giving feedback, because he will keep in mind that others peoples have others point of view as valuable and respectable as his, and the people reading feedback, that will feel less assaulted. Because if someone tells "This part of the game is bad, it lacks fun, it should be changed" and if i like this part of the game, it's like telling me "your tastes are bad, you don't enjoy the game the right way". But if someone tells "I don't like this and i would like a change", it's ok. We don't like all the same things.

Edit : also, sorry if i don't use the right word. English isn't my native langage.

11 minutes ago, Lumina said:

@EuedeAdodooedoe

No, being polite and constructive doesn't shut up criticism, it's what make criticism usefull.

You could tell that "this part of the game, for me, lacks content, i would like more depth in it". I think (personal point of view) that telling "it lacks creativity and decent amount of thought" isn't constructive criticism, because you don't know the internal process. Maybe there was a lot of thought, but it didn't show, for example. Maybe some point are still in work, and you'll see result later. Maybe it's creative in some way but your playstyle doesn't fit with this creativity.

Telling "it lacks creativity and decent amount of thought" is rude, possibly not true for everyone, subjective, and it doesn't help discussion. Doesn't mean you can't tell you think something is wrong. Maybe you can express this in a way more constructive ?

"I think this part of the game deserve more complex mechanic." (you are telling that you find it not enough, but without attacking the work done) "I find this part of the game repetitive, you can survive just by doing this and this the entire season" (you are telling what is wrong for you, you have example of why, but again, no attack) "i find this part of the game too hard because" "i find this part of the game too easy because", etc...

This is feedback, it's not telling "the game is so perfect, me and my unicorn friend are in love with it". But it's not something agressive either.

Also, i find it helpful telling "i feel" rather than "the game is". Because telling "the game is" is like if it's an universal truth, which isn't (Some players will love things i dislike and i like things they find bad). "I fell", "I think", "for me", it's usefull for everyone. The one giving feedback, because he will keep in mind that others peoples have others point of view as valuable and respectable as his, and the people reading feedback, that will feel less assaulted. Because if someone tells "This part of the game is bad, it lacks fun, it should be changed" and if i like this part of the game, it's like telling me "your tastes are bad, you don't enjoy the game the right way". But if someone tells "I don't like this and i would like a change", it's ok. We don't like all the same things.

Edit : also, sorry if i don't use the right word. English isn't my native langage.

I understand, but come on, people, don't take every little piece of construction in a sentence to heart. Like really, I see the difference between "this is so and so" and "I feel like this is so and so", but it's... it's just ugh... it's annoying for me at least. Like, I write something, expecting everyone to "get what I mean", but sometimes it just gets taken the wrong way, because of me writing things a bit differently (e.g. saying "[something] is" instead of "I feel like [something] is"), plus it's possibly even extra words and trying to be soft. And I spend a lot of time writing anyway, like, how long is this one response? A whole decent paragraph! I'll try to remember this, but don't kill me if I don't, because... it's just such a draaaaaaaaag... Sorry, but I'm a lazy folk  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Nah, you just like to rant and talk at people and don't consider their points of views... (<--concise, to the point... but offensive)
  • In a face-to-face conversation, we not only rely on the verbal exchange but also on the body language and facial cues to determine what the actual context of what they're saying actually means... a flat out "you suck" with a straight face and no hint of whimsy would mean that they do actually mean to say that you suck... but adding a little chuckle and some smiles would make it as a joke... in written format, we cannot rely on the body language and facial cues we would normally use and so we have to factor in the feel of the room and use choice words to convey what we mean... by actually conveying what we really mean... also, sure, adding in a few emojis to compensate is ok but using the wrong one would just make it look worse...

727087e8d08f2ad345b5b189b2a0996b.png (<-- smug face makes it seem I'm condescending...)

23 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

it's just such a draaaaaaaaag... Sorry, but I'm a lazy folk  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yep, that would be a good example of "I don't care about what you guys feel."

hehehe... I'm starting a flame war without saying anything inflammatory... aren't words great? hahaha

A quote from one of my favorite anime of all time: xxxHolic

Living things are restrained by Chains: The laws of nature, the flow of time, the vessel known as your “body”, and the existence called your mind. The one chain that people can wield: WORDS. (and in no relation to the topic, this anime I would highly recommend... a classic <3)

@Asparagus I'm thick. And I don't consider neither mine, nor any other peoples' emotions when I write, when I talk or whatever. Unless someone is completely broken down (in which case I either try to comfort them or refrain from saying anything). Reason I don't care about emotions is because for me at least it can get in the way of reasoning. Being objective means taking out all the opinion and feels garbage that might come along the way.

I think I worded that in quite a rude way, but I hate euphemisms, so saying things as they are or as I see them to be I shall.

Well I suppose I have been long enough to join this conversation - I joined DS forum when RoG was in early access but started to comment when DST was in beta . (seen the older and now status of the forum)

My opinion is this -
Before the community was smaller , but DST made DS franchise more famous and more ppl came in the forum and as things goes when there are more ppl things start to change ...

So smaller community everybody will act good because from 100-200 ppl you sill see each other comments everyday , but when there are 1000000 ppl there are many opinions on things , many ppl with different view of point and different thing that can hmmmm hurt them/make them angry/start a flame war .

But I don't think anything is crossing the line in really rude or aggressive way . 

8 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

@Asparagus I'm thick. And I don't consider neither mine, nor any other peoples' emotions when I write, when I talk or whatever. Unless someone is completely broken down (in which case I either try to comfort them or refrain from saying anything). Reason I don't care about emotions is because for me at least it can get in the way of reasoning. Being objective means taking out all the opinion and feels garbage that might come along the way.

I think I worded that in quite a rude way, but I hate euphemisms, so saying things as they are or as I see them to be I shall.

Yep, I see nothing wrong with that <3 no pointed "insults", no opinionated outburst... you have just blended in to "normal" human conventions... congrats(?)

I am still passively sounding like a know-it-all, condescending "teacher" because why not? CHEESE!!

This is Sheogorath, bidding you a good night/good day :)

11 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

But it is about feelings and preferences. Some things just aren't objective and you can't make them so.

If you don't take emotions into consideration when interacting with people, then you will have a very bad time here.

You can't **** on people's emotions and expect them to remain totally cool. Nobody asks you to be a saint, but you could be a little more considerate in how you express yourself, e.g., avoid calling people's feelings "garbage" (it is not appreciated). Consider it from a rational point of view: if you take people's emotions into account, you will avoid unnecessary conflicts and be able to communicate more effectively.

22 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Mr-Spock-mr-spock-10874060-1036-730.jpg

"Spock? Spock is that you? Have you come back from the grave?"

R.I.P Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

We will miss you...

27 minutes ago, Joachim said:

But it is about feelings and preferences. Some things just aren't objective and you can't make them so.

If you don't take emotions into consideration when interacting with people, then you will have a very bad time here.

You can't **** on people's emotions and expect them to remain totally cool. Nobody asks you to be a saint, but you could be a little more considerate in how you express yourself, e.g., avoid calling people's feelings "garbage" (it is not appreciated). Consider it from a rational point of view: if you take people's emotions into account, you will avoid unnecessary conflicts and be able to communicate more effectively.

Well, I guess I might consider them when it comes to something that is purely subjective. But doing so during times when objectivity is necessary, it just gives more power to the person who feels/might feel offended, creating problems. And I never said "peoples' feelings are garbage" (though, for the most part, I would agree with that statement :p), I said that feeling and opinions become garbage when being objective is pretty much necessary.

Archived