Survive the Shadows - Story

Survive the Shadows Chapter 14.png

FF.net: Survive the Shadows Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Rising Storm

Wilson kept by Willow’s side the whole night. She would wake up from time to time but would just fall right back to sleep, sometimes crying a bit. If there was anything Wilson was grateful for right now, was that the twins weren’t with them.

I don’t think I could bear to see them cry too…

When morning finally came, Wickerbottom roused Willow from her sleep, getting a backpack on her as Woodie picked up Wilson’s body. Wilson had to admit, it was weird seeing himself not move.

“We need to go visit the pigmen.” Wickerbottom explained. “The friend I mentioned found Wilson’s soul so we can bring him back. Just need a little something to do so.”

“You’re not going to use that heart thing you were for Abigail?” Willow asked, confusion in her eyes. “Why?”

“Tell tale hearts are good for slow recoveries and sadly can leave you weak for a few days.” Wickerbottom frowned. “And knowing Wilson, I believe he has business he wants to take care of, so, I find this other solution would suit it better.”

“Right… I get it… Well… Let’s go then.” Willow frowned, looking at Wilson’s face, still a bit disturbed seeing him like he was. They had cleaned him up but the damage could still be seen.

“Come on.”

Wilson followed after the group, Jack flanking his side.

“Never seen Wickerbottom do revivals before so I’m… kind of interested to see this.”

“I so owe Willow a hug… and a pile of logs to burn at her pleasure…” Wilson sighed, watching her for a moment. “It’s… Okay, pun unintentional, but it’s killing me to see her like this…”

“I can understand that.” Jack placed a hand on his shoulder. “Just hang in there.”

Wasn’t long before they came upon the pig village Wilson had visited so long ago. They greeted them, all getting horrified looks as they saw Wilson’s body.

“What happen to human?!” one asked. “What got him!?”

“Hounds.” Wickerbottom said, straight faced. “But that’s not our concern. We need a touch stone. I know you pigs have one somewhere.”

They nodded. “We lead you to it.”

They hurried to an area that was a bit more secluded, a round stone surrounded by decapitated merm heads… and it was glowing…

“Lay human on it. He revive within minutes.”

Woodie nodded, laying Wilson’s body down on the stone.

“Come back to us, buddy…”

Wilson felt himself being pulled towards his body.

“A-Ah!”

“It’s normal.” Jack said, nudging him forward. “Least, I would assume. Go on, I’ll see you when it’s time to save William.”

Wilson nodded, giving into the pull, his soul merging with his body as a huge bolt of lightning hit him and the stone. The stone cracked open from the force and Wilson now lied in the remains, completely healed.

“Holy moly!” Woodie exclaimed. “Talk about dramatic!”

Willow didn’t say anything as she rushed over to Wilson, bringing his upper body into her arms.

“Wilson…?”

Wilson was still, but unlike before he was warm now.

She held him closer, bringing her ear over his heart, relieved to hear it beating strongly.

“He’s here… You’re back…”

A sharp gasp escaped Wilson’s mouth as he coughed a bit, his eyes slowly opening.

“Agh… Mgh…?”

Willow came into his line of sight, relief in her eyes… Some small tears forming.

“Hi there… You with us?”

Wilson looked at her. His vision was blurry at first, but it soon became clear.

“Willow…?” He sat up a little, cringing a bit at how sore he felt, but kept his eyes locked with hers. “Did… Did it work…?”

“It did…” She kept an arm around him to support him. “You're alive…” Willow threw her arms around him tightly. “Oh thank goodness you're alive!”

Wilson felt heat rush to his face, but it soon faded, seeing Willow sobbing into his shoulder. He brought his arms around her, hugging her tightly.

“I’m here… Sorry I didn’t keep my promise like I was supposed to.”

“Just don’t do it again!” Willow sobbed, keeping close to him. “Please don’t ever scare me like that again!”

Wilson buried part of his face in her hair, stroking her back.

“Willow…”

She took a shaky breath.

“You mean too much for me to lose you to something like that… I’m not ready to say goodbye…”

Wilson kept her close.

“You won’t have to, because I don’t want to leave you like that… It hurt seeing you upset… I don’t ever want to do that to you again.”

Willow laid her head under his, listening to him breathing.

“Good… Because if you do… I’ll have to go to drastic measures, involving fire and brimstone and all that...”

Wilson chuckled a little, nuzzling her and blushing as soon as he did.

Willow blushed, smiling warmly, nuzzling back.

Wilson felt himself relax for once, not caring if he was feeling heat in his face. He was just happy to have Willow right there with him, in his arms.

Willow sighed happily, curling up a bit against him… relieved she could be near him again. Hear his voice… Not have to ever say goodbye.

At least, not yet.

oooooo

By the time they got back to Wickerbottom’s place, Wigfrid and the others had returned, the twins tackle hugging Wilson as soon as they saw him with gleeful looks in their eyes.

“PAPA!”

“WHOA!”

Wilson laughed as he fell back, holding the two close. “You two little rascals!”

“We missed you!”

“Yeah!”

Wilson hugged them close, before looking to Wigrid and her gang, a grateful look in his eyes. “Thank you…”

“Anytime… The curtain draws on the final battle.” Wigfrid spun her spear in the air before strapping it onto her back once more. “I’m ready when you are.”

“Soon as dawn comes.” Wilson vowed, closing his eyes, hugging the twins close to him. “Just one more day…”

“You’ll need food for the road after all.” Wickerbottom noted. “But don’t hesitate… Once you go through that door, dawn will come instantly.”

Wilson looked down at the girls, nuzzling them quickly. “Good. Shall we start preparing then?”

“Yes.”

Webber looked at them all before he snapped his fingers and ran inside, soon coming out with a few different weapons… Including a spear with a red gem on the top. “Miss Willow, here.” He offered it to her while he offered one with a blue gem to Wilson.

They took them, looking them over. Willow gave her’s an experimental flick… As a nearby bush caught fire. Her jaw dropped a bit before a gleeful look came to her eyes.

“It… Makes… FIRE?”

Wickerbottom sighed. “Knew he was going to pull those out. The fire staff and the ice staff. One to freeze enemies, one to burn them to oblivion. Be careful though. Don’t burn anything you don’t have to.”

Willow giggled, rubbing her hands together after storing the staff in her bag. “Right, right.”

Wilson smirked.

“Well, I say we’re ready then…” He looked to the sky. “We still have some time… If we want to, we can head out right now.”

“It would probably be for the best. The longer we wait, the longer Maxwell has time to prepare himself.” Wickerbottom gave a serious look. “Grab what you can food wise and follow me.”

As soon as they were ready, the survivors followed after Wickerbottom through the forest… As they walked, the area almost seemed to darken as they went on. There was also some odd noises… Whispering…

“I DETECT HIGH LEVELS OF DARK ENERGY.” WX-78 noted.

Willow rubbed her arms, keeping closer to Wilson.

“Who’s whispering…?”

Wilson shrugged. Wendy held onto her sister’s hand as well as Webber’s, the three children looking around nervous. This was new… They thought they saw some large creature move by…

Wes looked around, noting there was some strange looking large flowers nearby… They seemed to be blooming as they walked past. He tapped Wickerbottom on the shoulder, pointing to them.

“Evil flowers. Don’t touch them, they’ll cast their spell over you if you do. You’ll temporarily lose all control.” The old woman warned.

Wolfgang scoffed. “Another one of Maxie’s creations.”

Wigfrid elbowed him.

“Nope.” Wickerbottom smirked. “They’ve always been here…. They protect this area…” She parted some branches as a large contraption was seen…

Wilson shuddered as he stopped short, looking at it… He knew it all too well.

Each component, each wire, each gear…

He should.

After all…

He made it.

“Welcome to Maxwell’s door… Your journey truly begins here.”

• Like 5