Survive the Shadows - Story

Survive the Shadows Chapter 13.png

FF.net: Survive the Shadows Chapter 13

Chapter 13: The Connection

Wilson felt warm… yet also cold. He wasn’t sure what he was feeling. It was like a limbo state to him. He kept bouncing between the two.

Am… I still alive…?

He tried to force open his eyes, finding it a bit hard to do so but eventually he could see where he was. Sort of. It was dark around him, but he could tell he was in the same clearing he had been attacked in.

And it’s dark… Wait… It’s dark… Oh no… CHARLIE!

He tried getting up but found himself falling flat on his back, still feeling weak.

“Augh…”

He then noticed something. He had on a white cloak that looked a lot like Abigail’s, save it was more suited to his size.

“What…?”

“Glad to see you awake, Wilson.”

Wilson’s head snapped towards the voice, seeing a man standing not too far from him. He couldn’t make out his face, since half of it was covered by the hood of the cloak he was wearing. A cloak just like the one Wilson was now wearing.

Wilson’s eyes widened at the sight.

“What’s going on here…? Who are you?”

“Easy now.” The man approached him, offering him a hand. “I know it can be a little disorienting at first but that’s what happens when you cross over to other states of existence.”

Wilson stared at his hand, hesitating before taking it.

“I’m…” He looked down at himself, seeing all of his injuries were gone… Even his clothes were mended. “... I’m not human anymore?”

“I’m afraid not. You’re on the spiritual plane now, Wilson Higgsbury.”

Wilson took a shaky breath, trying not to panic.

I’m dead.

I’m dead.

I’m. DEAD!!!

“W-What happens to me now…?” He asked, his voice shaking, a panic in his eyes.

“Calm…” The man placed both his hands on his shoulders, letting Wilson see his eyes, revealing they were a shade of blue that had a bit of a glow to them. “Normally I’d lead someone like you out, but your body is still intact. Something that doesn’t really happen often in my line of work.”

“B-Because people here tend to be mauled to death…? Or their bodies… D-Devoured?”

“Or turned to skeletons by Maxwell’s hands.” A sad look came to the man’s eyes. “You, however, had a friend save your body.”

Wilson frowned. “Woodie… Oh goodness…”

Then… They all know and…

Oh Willow… What if she snaps?

“What’s… going to happen to them?”

“Only time will tell, Wilson.”

Wilson moved away from the man, running a hand through his hair. He never imagined dying this young… Even when he was sure at one point he might have at the hands of deerclops, it never crossed his mind what would happen once he got to that point.

“... I offend myself as a scientist…”

The man shook his head.

“You said the same about Abigail.” he chuckled. “And many other things. I might as well offend you since I’m quite the oddity.”

Wilson’s jaw dropped a bit. “I… I didn’t mean it like that… I…”

The man laughed.

“I know, Wilson, you just want to understand everything in a scientific manner. Sadly, not all can be broken down to science. Something I’ve had to come to terms with in my after life.”

Wilson grinned sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck.

“I-Indeed…. And you are? You mentioned one of my girls by name so…”

The man smiled, removing his hood, revealing blond hair and a familiar facial structure.

“Jack Carter, the supposed “grim reaper” of this world.”

Wilson’s eyes grew wide.

“You’re… You're the girls’ father! William Carter’s brother!” He stammered. “I… I didn’t mean that “my” in any offensive way…”

Jack held up a hand, giving a gentle smile.

“It’s okay, Wilson. I can’t be their father anymore with how I am now. I’m glad they have you.”

Wilson smiled a bit… a sad look in his eyes.

“Still… I’m sorry… They are truly wonderful girls… They bring so much joy to my every day life. I can’t imagine it without them… and I thank you for trying to help me..”

“It’s the least I can do. You saved my girls from falling to the hands of the shadows.” A sad look of his own came to his eyes. “And you’re willing to try and save my brother and Charlie.”

Wilson nodded. “I just… wanted to help… I didn’t want to see the girls wind up like… like some of the skeletons I’ve seen while traveling… Gear strewn all over… I admit, I did feel guilty for stealing from one in a moment of desperation… Just…” He sighed. “... Feels like I always screw up…”

“It’s called being human.” Jack placed a hand on his shoulder again. “I made mistakes of my own in my life… The biggest one being not trying hard enough to stop my brother from being corrupted.”

“You couldn’t have known…”

“True… Though the past is the past. The present, is our concern right now.”

Wilson nodded, narrowing his eyes.

“Right. What first?”

“Well, there’s the main task of bringing you back to your body. Though, I did want to talk to you about something. It concerns William.”

Wilson got a curious look in his eyes. “I’m listening.”

“I’m aware you’re attempting to storm Maxwell’s dwellings, yes?”

“That’s right. We had plans to enter as soon as Webber and the girls returned with our friends.”

“I can help you navigate the place with ease so you can get to Maxwell as fast as possible. I won’t be able to do battle against the clockworks or whatever other monsters he has in there but the least I can do is help you not get lost.”

Wilson gave him a grateful look. “That would be most wonderful…  I want to help your brother, I want to see him free again…”

“And that’s all I ask for you in return for getting you back to your body… Please, save William. I’ve heard his screams for help and it’s hurt me to be unable to do anything. I just want my brother to be himself once more… to be with Charlie again.”

Wilson gave a gentle smile, holding out his hand.

“Then we have us a deal, sir… I’d be most delighted to give him that second chance.”

Jack smiled, shaking his hand.

“Thank you… Come.”

Jack put his hood back on, leading Wilson along.

“Put your hood up.”

Wilson nodded, doing as told as he followed him. As they walked… or floated. Wilson wasn’t really sure which, he couldn’t help but notice odd shadow creatures that were staring at them.

“Ignore them, they can’t touch you.” Jack said without even looking at Wilson. “With that cloak on they can’t even get near you.”

Wilson gave him a confused look, fingering the material of his cloak in his hand. “It emits light so… It prevents the darkness from attacking?”

“Yes… It’s an odd job I have, but my main point is to protect souls from being devoured by the shadows. I come, give them a cloak, then lead them on out.”

“And in my case I have a body to get back to… And… Abigail?” Wilson gave a confused look. “She can’t see you?”

“No…” Jack lowered his head. “While Abigail has died, her death wasn’t like yours. She has a flower to act as a body and to top it off, Charlie was the one to change her. If she had died without Charlie’s intervention, I would’ve just come for her like I do everyone else.”

“I can’t imagine knowing your child is there but not being able to hold her… I’m so sorry…” Wilson squeezed his shoulder gently. “I promise… I’ll take good care of them til the end of my days…”

Jack smiled, nodding.

“I know you will.”

Jack looked ahead, seeing Wickerbottom’s home, going right through the walls, Wilson following suit… feeling a chill go through him as he did.

“You okay?”

“This… feels off.” He looked at his hand before moving it through the wall again. “... So strange… I will never get used to that-”

His words fell short as he heard someone sniffling… Someone he knew.

“... Willow?”

Jack frowned, following the sounds. Willow was in a room, knelt next to a bed, keeping close to someone’s body… Wilson’s body. Wickerbottom was present as well, but she kept off to the side, not saying anything, leaving Willow be.

Wilson frowned, floating to Willow, kneeling beside her.

“H-Hey… It’s okay… I’m here…”

She didn’t look up.

“...Willow…?”

He tried touching her shoulder, only to gasp as his hand went through her. He stumbled back, shock in his eyes. Willow still didn’t flinch, her eyes locked on his body, tears streaking her face.

“Wilson, remember… Our forms are different from Abigail’s. She has a psychical form even if that form is made of energy. You can’t touch her like that.”

Wilson lowered his head, feeling his heartbreak seeing Willow like this.

“Willow… please don’t cry…” He whispered. “Please…”

He looked up… and then noticed something. Wickerbottom was staring right at him… and Jack.

“I believe the mistress would like a word with us.” Jack said, floating over to the next room.

Wilson hesitated looking back at Willow before he turned to follow… After managing to use a small amount of energy to knock her lighter under the bed his body was on.

No need to let her relapse after all.

Wickerbottom came into the room, looking at them both.

“Thank heavens, you found him.”

“It was not easy.” Jack crossed his arms. “He had a lot of shadow monsters circling him, but couldn’t let him die now since he’s a hope for William… and I admit, I’ve been wondering why he seems so different. Never did get to ask you that.”

“Pardon?”

“Don’t give me that, Wickerbottom.” Jack got a serious look. “I know Maxwell gave him a gift, but there’s something else, isn’t there? Survivors have been given knowledge before but to this degree of it developing? That’s a new one.”

“Can this difference ask why this matters?” Wilson cut in, confusion in his eyes. “Because I’m curious as well.”

Jack nodded, looking to Wickerbottom.

“Care to enlightenment us, wise shadow witch?”

Wickerbottom was quiet, fumbling with her hands a little, looking at Wilson… sadness in her squinted eyes.

“... Knowing Percival, he would’ve wanted me to tell the short version. To put it bluntly, he’s family, Jack.”

Jack’s eyes got wide.

“WHAT!? You’re kidding right!?”

Wilson’s eyes also grew wide in shock.

“Pardon!?” He shook his head. “No seriously… PARDON!?”

Wickerbottom sighed.

“You heard me.”

“No… That can’t be right, you’re not-I’m not! I can’t be tied to-!”

“Wilson Percival Higgsbury calm down right now!”

Wilson fell silent, his jaw dropping open a bit. Now the tone of the voice made sense…

And why her library felt so familiar… not to mention the look she gave me earlier…

“... Grandmother?” He asked quietly, recognition flashing. She looked different… Much older than he had remembered. But… if what she was saying is true then there was no denying it. “... Grandmother Melinda?”

Wickerbottom’s look softened.

“That was me before Percival passed away… It really has been a long time since I last saw you. You were still a young man at the time.”

“Yes…” Wilson came closer, some nostalgia coming to his eyes. “It really has been too long, Grandmother… I can’t remember the last time we got to speak… You were here this whole time… We thought you passed away after Grandfather’s death…”

“No… I just went back to doing my duties here. I may have shared this world with him but I never wanted him to be part of it. He had his share with creating the science machine and some other tools, but other than that… he just let me do my job. He didn’t mind the fact his wife was a witch from another world.”

“Did…” Wilson sighed. “Did Father know of this too?”

“We meant to tell him eventually, but when he found out… he got attacked by the shadows. They wanted him since he had my bloodline of magic. I stopped them, but he wasn’t really ever the same after that. He resented me for doing black magic.”

Wilson cringed, reaching out to touch her shoulder, giving a frustrated look when it went right through her.

“And it skipped me…”

Wickerbottom frowned, her hands having some magic come around them before gently taking Wilson’s hand into hers.

“You still have my bloodline. The shadows wanted you more than anything, but I kept them off for as long as I could… then Maxwell came along.”

Wilson squeezed her hands gently. “He didn’t really bring me here just for his own amusement did he? … I take it he never showed up just casually strolling through other survivors farms and bases?”

“No… He wanted to do everything in his power to get to you, yet that only backfired as you met the others. Your heart only became lighter rather than darker. Your powers aren’t like mine with magic.” Wickerbottom tapped his forehead. “The dark knowledge you were given manifested in your ability to learn things like no other. Anything science is in the palm of your hands because of it, even if it hasn’t been discovered yet. That’s your power Wilson. For the shadows… they knew they were failing as soon as they saw how strong minded you were.”

“Because I wasn’t alone…” Wilson smiled a bit. “I had Chester… Then Willow… The twins, Wes Wigfrid and Wolfgang… Woodie… How could I fall to despair when I had them by my side?” He sighed a bit. “Which is now likely why he wanted me dead…”

“It’s sadly how it goes…” Wickerbottom brought a hand to his cheek. “Wilson… I’m sorry I didn’t come for you sooner, but if I had tried to intervene I think I would've made things worse… and I admit, I'm not as strong as I used to be.”

Wilson gave her a gentle look, leaning into her hand a bit.

“Don’t apologize… You have your responsibilities as I have mine. You had to watch out for yourself and young Webber as well… I understand completely.”

Wickerbottom smiled a bit.

“A good heart and a strong mind. You really are Percival’s grandson…”

“I try to be a good man like he was. I really do try…”

“And you’ve succeeded… He would be so proud.” Wickerbottom came closer, bringing her arms around him. “Sorry just…”

Wilson returned the embrace, a few tears getting out.

“I missed you too… I missed you so much…”

Jack kept quiet, watching the two, letting them have their moment.

Wickerbottom pulled back gently, wiping away Wilson’s tears.

“We’re going to get you all out of here. This is the last time Maxwell is getting away with something like this.”

Wilson nodded, giving a determined look.

“Right, and this time, no one gets trapped.”

Wickerbottom nodded.

“So, how do you plan on bringing him back to life?” Jack asked. “I’ve always wanted to see one of your revival remedies work.”

“We’ll want him at his strongest. So, we’ll be taking a little trip to the pig village tomorrow.”

“Oh… I see where this is going.” Jack floated upward. “I’ll be waiting upstairs then. Too dark out for you people.”

Wickerbottom shook her head.

“Typical Jack.”

Wilson watched him go.

“I see where Abigail gets her wit from.”

“Yup.” Wickerbottom smiled a bit, heading to another room. “Try and keep yourself occupied till morning.”

“I’ll just go… do ghostly things then.” Wilson shrugged to himself. “... I wonder what’ll happen if I try to haunt a Chester…”

“Don’t even think about it young man.”

Wilson gulped.

She may be old but she can still catch me like she did when I was a child.

“Just a little more…”

“Hand out of the cookie jar young man.”

Wilson shook his head, returning to the room Willow was in. She was asleep now, holding his body’s hand.

Wilson frowned, going to her side, hovering his hand over her back.

“I’ll be home soon… Just please hold on…”

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Aileen-Rose said:

The man smiled, removing his hood, revealing blond hair and a familiar facial structure.

“Jack Carter, the supposed “grim reaper” of this world.”

Wilson’s eyes grew wide.

5789ec8663695_arielsqueecopy.png.4c0505d2f489f88e080610c21ffc824e.pngOh man... You hit my theological fandork button.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 9.44.58 PM.png

Weird, I was linking your thread on facebook and they instead slapped the game's summary and @Miss's art...

What the...? Actually that summary matches what I wrote at the beginning of the thread. As for why it's showing Blood Eagles I haven't the slightest idea.

• Like 2