Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

MTX1234

What could be causing this?

MTX1234    66

I don't know what happened I was caving for a couple of days and when I tried to go back to the surface the game crashed and ever since then I'm unable to load my save I haven't used any mods besides combined status and monster healthbars and more equip slots. I tried to disable them and verify the game cache and nothing happened. Is there any way to fix this? Please I'm not about to lose another save with 3k days on it, this is the 3rd it's happening and if I lose it I'm seriously deleting don't starve from steam and never ever looking back again.

log.txt

JanH    8220

Could you provide us with your DxDiag.txt file? Checking your log.txt file, it looks like your system is crashing the game due to the computer running out of memory. Please ensure that you do not have any programs running in the background when playing the game. 

Also, do you happen to have a large base with a large number of resources/structures concentrated in one area?

If so, the crash would have been caused if your base was too large having too many items, which could overload your computer's memory buffer - especially if you have other programs running in the background, or are barely meeting the game's memory requirements.

MTX1234    66

@JanH Dear me that must be the reason why. I placed way too many structures. What can I do about that? Would it make much difference if I disabled certain effects like high texture quality netbook mode screen shaking etc..

DxDiag.txt

JanH    8220

Thank you for the DxDiag, it looks like your page file is almost full (Page File: 7011MB used, 1111MB available) Something is taking up most of your computer's memory. Please ensure that background apps or processes are disabled when playing the game. 

You may also want to run your security software/anti-virus software to scan for anything weird that may be taking up most of your computer's memory. 

MTX1234    66

@JanH Ok I restarted my computer to free up my memory it said that 2083MB used, 3190MB available I tried to load the save but still no luck I also have no startup apps except BeatsAudio and Intel HD Graphics and I doubt they take up much space.

I'm pretty sure the problem is with the save itself.

log.txt

DxDiag.txt

JanH    8220

Could you post the save game file that you are having an issue with and we'll take a look at it. On Steam, your Don't Starve save files will be located in your Steam folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\{your unique ID}\219740\remote\

Please note that the save file number will be the same as the number of the save slot that you were using for that specific game. So for example, if the issue was happening to save slot 2, your file would be named "Survival_2".

If it is a Shipwrecked save, the file would be named "shipwrecked_2".

JanH    8220

Hi @MTX1234 Could you zip up the contents of your remote (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\{your unique ID}\219740\remote\) folder and send that to us? We have been unable to load up the save game with the files previously provided to us.

JanH    8220

Apologies for the delay, we have tried loading up your save files on a number of our systems here and each had run into various issues of either crashing or base/resources/items missing (in addition to memory issues). 
Unfortunately we are not able to recover the game progress as the save file has been corrupted; and eventually causes the game loading to run out of memory.