Extoller's Art

Pencil can be nice for shading. Lot easier to change the amount of pressure you apply. I mean...if you're wanting to do that sort of shading. If you want to do it digitally, any program with a pen tool, layers and per-layer transparency settings is good; for something basic, layer steadily enlarging transparent layers over one-another.
Or just make one layer. Plenty of people use shadows with hard borders.

For hair, you might consider using more basic edges, with a few interruptions here and there, then filling it in and making minor changes as that goes. Easier process for me at least.

As for pen pressure/thickness, I've noticed that quite a few default Don't Starve assets use strong external outlines and weaker lines for internal details. I mean, DS's stuff is colored, but it still helps. The same method is used elsewhere, too.

Edited by Pyr0mrcow
  • Like 4

Alright, so my computer's touchscreen isn't working right now, and I can't draw on it. Thankfully, I still have my digitizer! I have to get my computer fixed, but it's not as much of a big deal as I thought.

Have a transparent Wendy in Tim Burton style.

Tim Burton Wendy Transparent.png

This is my first time trying lineless. I think I did pretty well.

• Like 7

You should experiment with it more. So far I've seen your previous pieces matching a similar look to this but this truly fits you. If you see things you feel could be improved on, try taking what you didn't like and write those down. Though I think this works! Only problem I have with this is that the shirt and flesh match a little too close. If you made the shading more dominant, it would help separate the two better.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, minespatch said:

You should experiment with it more. So far I've seen your previous pieces matching a similar look to this but this truly fits you. If you see things you feel could be improved on, try taking what you didn't like and write those down. Though I think this works! Only problem I have with this is that the shirt and flesh match a little too close. If you made the shading more dominant, it would help separate the two better.

Oh, thank you so much!

This is the final piece I will upload to DA. I changed a few things to make it more Tim Burtonish, tried to change the shading, and gave it a dark atmosphere. Is it any better?

tim_burton_wendy_transparent_final_by_te

Edited by ExtollerOfTrolls
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, mewthemew said:

you should use this style more often, extoller. you pull it off really well! ^-^

Why, thank you! I would like to use it again. I think I will try to draw some other characters. The only problem is, characters in TB movies have such varied styles, so it can be difficult to design to reflect their personality.

WX is giving me the most trouble.

7 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

You probably still have it cached.

Uh... Hmm. Try this: http://tearsofchickensoup.deviantart.com/art/Tim-Burton-Wendy-643681305

• Like 4

Just now, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

Why, thank you! I would like to use it again. I think I will try to draw some other characters. The only problem is, characters in TB movies have such varied styles, so it can be difficult to design to reflect their personality.

go fo it. youll eventually fall into a way to easilly draw them.

• Like 1

Just now, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

Hmm, not sure if I should post a picture I just drew, since it has characters from other games in it. I'll put it in a spoiler.

Hide contents

ghosts_by_tearsofchickensoup-danjuse.png

Forgot to make the brush edge softer for Abbi, crap.

She's just lovely! The brush fits her too. Wendy is edgy. Abby can't be pudding either ;).

18 minutes ago, minespatch said:

BEAKBEAK! Don't have the game but love the visuals. Wait- Is that a spoiler? ariel sweats.png

Erm...

shifty_by_tearsofchickensoup-danjxzb.png

To be fair, I did put it in the spoiler tag. I'll edit the post.

(Also, why am I not surprised you know about that game?)

Edited by ExtollerOfTrolls
  • Like 4