Battal    9,883

Don't worry, you're not the only one.  A few years back, I had a mod for my OC too.

It...

didn't go well.

Hopefully you'll have better luck that I did.

• Like 1

minespatch    60,921

Keep doing sketches in this thread. It'll help round out your character. That's how I've grown so comfortable with my skeledork persona.

• Like 2

DragonMage156    25,361
9 hours ago, minespatch said:

Keep doing sketches in this thread. It'll help round out your character. That's how I've grown so comfortable with my skeledork persona.

Oh I have no problem with my own persona

Spoiler

dragon_mage__proportion_edit__by_dragonm

looking_up_by_dragonmage156-da1gp74.jpg

It's just modding her into DS/DST that's the problem.

• Like 4

DragonMage156    25,361
1 hour ago, minespatch said:

I think the next best stratagy is figuring how to simplify her ligaments. There's a bunch of Don't Starve animation game sheets with all the limb breakdowns.

Like this one for Willow.

Where was this when I was making my mod?!

• Like 3

Mobbstar    13,938

you can rip all of those from the source (the data/anim folder) using handsome matts tex tools or the ktools

• Like 2

DragonMage156    25,361

Ok so I was starting my spriting and since I have such a hard time with the head and such I decided to start off with the tail, thinking it was easier. With each piece I completed I check it in spriter and noticed things were getting a bit... off. After I finished the 4th piece, I came to the conclusion that I'm no good at this:

this_is_why_i_need_a_pro_artist_by_drago

What am I doing wrong? I mean heck, I've even moved some of these pieces (which I'm not sure was a good idea) to match up but each piece get increasingly annoying.

This is why I need a professional artist/spriter to do this or better yet, not make the mod at all and safe everyone a lot of time and money -_-

• Like 4

Mobbstar    13,938
1 hour ago, DragonMage156 said:

I came to the conclusion that I'm no good at this

Lies! It's looking pretty good. After all, you can (and probably have to) stylize

1 hour ago, DragonMage156 said:

I've even moved some of these pieces (which I'm not sure was a good idea) to match up but each piece get increasingly annoying.

you cannot move them. Sure, it seems like they change position in the spriter file, but that's only a friendly preview. The actual player animations don't care about the textures' "in-project" position, the actual animations just replace the placeholders with your PNG files. So if you want to move or spin the tail pieces, you need to do it in the PNG images, not in the spriter project.

It is probably easiest if you make a layer for guidelines first, using the sample and/or willow textures. You can then lower opacity and change hue, so you can focus on the actual Weah lines.

• Like 2

DragonMage156    25,361
1 hour ago, Mobbstar said:

It is probably easiest if you make a layer for guidelines first

I thought that's what I was doing. I opened the original file in Paint Tool Sai, lightened the opacity and made a layer over it and then traced it. I probably shouldn't try so hard to perfect it cos I probably won't even notice it in-game anyway :/

• Like 4

Arlesienne    8,985

Not good? My, you should not discredit yourself like this. I think things are looking up. Making mods is hard, character mods, even more so, I reckon, so be easier on yourself. Please :).

• Like 1

DwerBomb    6,108

Don't forget the template is shorter than most characters! Make your head bigger when you'll get to that :)

• Like 1

DragonMage156    25,361

So I just started attempting the headbases and boy let me tell you all about it!

So I started with the front first:

headbase-0.png

Seems promising right? Well I went to try the second one and that's where I realized I was right from the beginning.

head pic 1.png

I didn't even finish cos... what am I even supposed to do with the hair. It's supposed to be mid back length but that's impossible for DS. And even if I did it as shoulder length...

These may not even be in alignment with each other or even the character mod for that matter so y'know what? I'm just gonna put the arting on hold till someone can offer to do atleast the head bases. I can do the faces, emotes, coding and even the hat head bases but these things are a big nope in my department -_-

I know the current community artists are busy (like the ones working on WaW for instance) therefore I will not ask them or rush them with their current projects but I hope someone can offer some help in the future/whenever they are free.

• Like 3

Mobbstar    13,938

Well, I think if you raise the headbase/hair by X pixels, you can lower it by rougly 18,2% of X and it will look just fine in-game. I'll try in a bit.

There's a problem: Those are in front of the torso... At most you could try to make the hair "rest on the shoulders" when front is seen, if you know what I mean...

Edited by Mobbstar
  • Like 1

DragonMage156    25,361
8 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

There's a problem: Those are in front of the torso... At most you could try to make the hair "rest on the shoulders" when front is seen, if you know what I mean...

Well the two hair pieces on the side kinda already do that (example) but I just don't know to to replicate that style in a way that would work for DS. Obviously Weah's gonna have to have a hair cut unless I wanted to give her a pony tail instead.

• Like 2

minespatch    60,921

You could try following Wendy's example and focus the bang in front of the ear and touching to the edge of the cheek?

Mobbstar    13,938
Just now, minespatch said:

You could try following Wendy's example and focus the bang in front of the ear and touching to the edge of the cheek?

Actually, that is very smart: use pig tails for the frontal view, but make the side view's hair be part of the head sprite. The back view would be difficult because it uses the pigtails too, but if you do it cleverly, you can apply a combination of pigtail and headbase sprites.

• Like 1

DragonMage156    25,361

I've decided to discontinue the Weah character mod until I figure out how to draw her head and hair.

However, I've been wanting to do another character mod for quite some time. I think it'll be way easier than Weah. However I may need a master coder to discuss some things ;)

• Like 2