Dragon Mage's character mods (WIP)

5 hours ago, Starthefox said:

Ehh, I think it makes it more like Stitch from Lilo & Stitch. I like the previous design better, but if it works for you..

Well the previous design was kinda...

old headbase.png

Meh.

Besides, I'm not completely done with the ears just yet. I think they need to be a bit thicker. Incase your not familiar with Ori and the Blind Forest, here's some screenshots of Ori:

Spoiler

cave painting.png

element of warmth.jpg

the light calls.jpg

Bash learned.png

reference.png

(This is a recent one)

I don't think you're the first to say he looks like Stitch and some people have even done crossover art of them :)

• Like 3

Here's my take on the character (pardon the ****tiness, my pen couldn't handle drawing today and kept screwing me over)

orii.jpg

It's still a sketch, hope this gives some ideas.

If I were you I'd try playing with ears being on the "hair" layer, but most probably I'd leave them as headbase/headbase-hat, so they'd be sticking out from every hat.

My version of legs could be made better, but because of how running animation works, it would've been all screwed up when in motion. That's why my version has that feature simplified. Your take on legs is fine, just giving my three cents.

And Ori has 3 fingers from what I've seen!

I'd also try experimenting with arm_upper/arm_lower layers.

Btw any layer can be extended (and in fact, you don't have any limits, just look at this), so only thing you have to worry about are animations looking good/okayish.

Also, the outlines could be made more 'sketchy' and detailed. Right now they look as if they were drawn with a single brush line, not exactly Don't-Starve-ish. But hey, that may be your style, I'm not judging.

I'm sorry if I sound like an *******. I mostly don't give any advice on characters but I see that you have patience to continue and you keep working on it, so, hey, why not give some insight and try to make it look the best it can.

Also, if you added lightning to this character it would look almost exactly like in that Ori and the Blind Forest game (but only when bloom is enabled tho :V).

Edited by PanAzej
now I see problems with my sketches, I mostly improve stuff on the go, while working on a character and its build
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, PanAzej said:

Here's my take on the character

Thanks for the advice. The only reason he looks the way he does is cos I'm still a noob at Paint Tool SAI and even more of a noob at spriting and coding.

Also, I'm curious as to how the legs would look from the side.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Starthefox said:

o-oh no...

poor Ori.

Maybe you should finish the code first, and polish up the visuals later??

But I'm pretty much finished with the coding (well the main stuff like renaming everything). I want to get the sprite done before diving into the perks.

Maybe I should use @PanAzej drawing as a guide/template... can I, Pan?

• Like 2

Sorry for not responding earlier, I wanted to reply with a new sketch version, possibly even a build with replaced graphics.

But then I started working on Wolfgang's statue and... eh, nevermind.

9 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

Also, I'm curious as to how the legs would look from the side.

They wouldn't be much different from the side, since from what I can remember, side view run animation still reuses at least one frame of front leg anim. I would try to make it look the best as possible though, so I'd try to experiment.

1 hour ago, DragonMage156 said:

Maybe I should use @PanAzej drawing as a guide/template... can I, Pan?

Sure, that's what I do with my sketches as well. What I do when I make graphics for DST - I throw my sketch into photoshop and "draw" (more like use lasso tool and draw the outlines of outlines, along with imperfections, then fill them).

My version may be not the best - I'm not satisfied with this one. If I was making this character I'd draw it a lot more times, and then pick a sketch where I got it right.

Go ahead and use it if you'd like/need to!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mobbstar said:

Did you try using the pigtails like I suggested on Discord? It should easily be possible with scaling the image up like PanAzej suggested.

So making it bigger?

3 hours ago, PanAzej said:

Sorry for not responding earlier, I wanted to reply with a new sketch version, possibly even a build with replaced graphics.

But then I started working on Wolfgang's statue and... eh, nevermind.

They wouldn't be much different from the side, since from what I can remember, side view run animation still reuses at least one frame of front leg anim. I would try to make it look the best as possible though, so I'd try to experiment.

Sure, that's what I do with my sketches as well. What I do when I make graphics for DST - I throw my sketch into photoshop and "draw" (more like use lasso tool and draw the outlines of outlines, along with imperfections, then fill them).

My version may be not the best - I'm not satisfied with this one. If I was making this character I'd draw it a lot more times, and then pick a sketch where I got it right.

Go ahead and use it if you'd like/need to!

Oh well I could always wait to see what you come up with.

I think another reason I went with such a round headbase is cos the traditional way I draw him.

(First sketch, latest sketch)

Hasn't changed very much :p

Aldo, I got another pic:

ori's ears.png

Boy are those ears thin 0_0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mobbstar said:

Did you try using the pigtails like I suggested on Discord? It should easily be possible with scaling the image up like PanAzej suggested.

Hairpigtails won't work, since it would look like the lower part of ears is "absorbed" by headbase.

9 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

So making it bigger?

Basically. Of course sometimes you don't want or need too much of an extension, and you'd need to edit .scml file manually.

Example:

<folder id="3" name="arm_right">
        <file id="0" name="arm_right/arm_right-0.png" width="402" height="446" pivot_x="0" pivot_y="1"/>
</folder>

Pivot_x and Pivot_y are the actual position of your image (it refers to that red dot in Spriter).

Width and Height should also be edited every time you change image size (well, you don't have to, but believe me, it can save you a lot of time later on).

This is the best way to edit build image sizes. In my opinion.

9 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

Oh well I could always wait to see what you come up with.

I can draw a new version if you want. Not at the moment, but maybe later.

Edited by PanAzej
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PanAzej said:

Basically. Of course sometimes you don't want or need too much of an extension, and you'd need to edit .scml file manually.

I think making the sprite part bigger in Paint too SAI is easier :/

11 hours ago, PanAzej said:

I can draw a new version if you want. Not at the moment, but maybe later.

Sure, take your time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

I think making the sprite part bigger in Paint too SAI is easier :/

Well, whatever floats your boat. It's easier, but it's not as useful as getting it right through editing .scml.

oraoraora_ori.jpg

I need to buy a new pen. This one I'm using now stops drawing at random (seems like it's about 50% of the time). Annoying as hell.

Proportions may be all kinds of screwed up. Edit stuff to fit your needs or redraw it entirely.

Edited by PanAzej
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, PanAzej said:

Well, whatever floats your boat. It's easier, but it's not as useful as getting it right through editing .scml.

oraoraora_ori.jpg

I need to buy a new pen. This one I'm using now stops drawing at random (seems like it's about 50% of the time). Annoying as hell.

Proportions may be all kinds of screwed up. Edit stuff to fit your needs or redraw it entirely.

Looks odd but I can work with it.

I was thinking of getting a drawing tablet and pen so I can try and replicate the DS style better. However that would mean I would have to put this on hold, Idk how long for.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Starthefox said:

I'd suggest putting this on hold.

Who'd want a crappy art, but done quicker?

well I know a few people but

Anyways. Quality is better than speed.

Dude wut?

Are you hating on my/Pan's style? Also, I'm not really working on it rn anyway. I just start drawing it out whenever I feel like it (which is not often).

Progress is slow enough as it is, I don't need someone making me feel bad enough just to scrap the whole thing :/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

Dude wut?

Are you hating on my/Pan's style? Also, I'm not really working on it rn anyway. I just start drawing it out whenever I feel like it (which is not often).

Progress is slow enough as it is, I don't need someone making me feel bad enough just to scrap the whole thing :/

No, No, I'm not saying that. It's just, when I push myself too much I end up just making the whole thing worse. Like my hallowed nights piece, I never finished it because I started 2 days before halloween.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Starthefox said:

No, No, I'm not saying that. It's just, when I push myself too much I end up just making the whole thing worse. Like my hallowed nights piece, I never finished it because I started 2 days before halloween.

Well there's no harm in releasing things late if you need more time on it. When Halloween was over, I still saw a lot of Halloween related stuff uploaded all over the place.

As for the mod, it can be finished whenever since it doesn't have an event theme.

• Like 2

So... I've been working on something different... and smaller than a character mod. I think it's really cool so far but I'm having some trouble with the ground image... it's an item mod btw.

Icon_Critters edit2 w shading.png

I don't have the same magic and skill as the Klei artists! Please tell me how to improve this?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DragonMage156 said:

So... I've been working on something different... and smaller than a character mod. I think it's really cool so far but I'm having some trouble with the ground image... it's an item mod btw.

Icon_Critters edit2 w shading.png

I don't have the same magic and skill as the Klei artists! Please tell me how to improve this?

Looks fine to me.. You could also rip the critters tab icon and remove the leash, if you wanted.