Livin' With Maxwell [[spoilers]]

1 hour ago, StaypuftMMM said:

I hung out by the throne for about a week once but honestly it's kinda boring.  
Not a lot to do really because the world/level wasn't really designed for habitation.  What have you been doing so far?

Nothing much, really. Trying to survive the harsh conditions that are the throne room. I mean, it's kinda fun in a sense that I have company.

But other than that, yes. Quite boring. I watch Maxwell, and he watches me. I wish I could talk to him more.

On 6/28/2016 at 5:29 AM, StaypuftMMM said:

What are you doing for food?  
If I recall correctly, there's only what you bring with you.  I remember having a bunch of prebuilt structures but didn't really have any use for them because of the lack of resources.  

There's a couple of berry bushes

Welcome to the next installment of Livin' With Maxwell. 

tumblr_o9wl9wBEj81qjmmj4o1_540.png

Redecorating.

tumblr_o9wl9wBEj81qjmmj4o3_540.png

Sorry, Maxy. They're going to have to take me kicking and screaming.

tumblr_o9wl9wBEj81qjmmj4o5_540.png

Happy full moon, Max.

tumblr_o9wl9wBEj81qjmmj4o6_540.png

And uh... here it comes... the first sacrifice...

tumblr_o9wl9wBEj81qjmmj4o2_540.png

(Also the 'Maxwell's Lights' turn off after sleeping/dying and have to be manually re-lit with a torch.)

tumblr_o9wl9wBEj81qjmmj4o4_540.png

First death... not so bad...

There are also a few (or one, I'm not sure) Wooden Thing portals hidden in the darkness, for those of you who... may not have known that. But knowing you forum folks, most of you were probably already aware of this. Haha

On 6/27/2016 at 10:29 PM, StaypuftMMM said:

What are you doing for food?  
If I recall correctly, there's only what you bring with you.  I remember having a bunch of prebuilt structures but didn't really have any use for them because of the lack of resources.  

I brought a few pieces of jerky with me in, if I recall, and there's a few meats by the crockpots/chests that Maxwell already has lying around.

I've fertilized all the berry bushes with the rot in the chest.

1 hour ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

may be try to make a setup where you can live forever in the checkmate world?

Unfortunately, there's no reliable source of food. I'm scrounging berries for as long as I can and using the amulets when all else fails.

7 minutes ago, WPH said:

Unfortunately, there's no reliable source of food. I'm scrounging berries for as long as I can and using the amulets when all else fails.

could you not have brought your own berry bushes though?

7 minutes ago, Mobbstar said:

could you not have brought your own berry bushes though?

Admittedly, I wasn't prepared to live with him that professonally. There was not that much foresight, so I'm making do with what I can. XD

However, if I were to take on a challenge like that, berry bushes, or establishing a source of meat would be great.

I'm basically just going to last as long as I can before I finally release him.

May be I should try this? As in get to checkmate world and try to live forever? I think the wiki said that hound attacks will start to occur too. And since food is a problem too and the fact that flint, rocks and gold are non-renewable (sob) taking woodie as your character through would basically be necessary as well as prebuilding some stuff for armour and food, like a bird cage, farms and a pig house (flingo needed to farm the piggy's skin and meat with a fire farm). That means that taking a bird with you is also necessary and for logs a stack of pinecones too. Full moons might be a bit of a trouble unless you turn and turn back from beaver near maxwell lights. I think spider eggs or at least 1 would too be needed and may be even seeds unless there are carrots in the checkmate world. If not then you would need to decide whether to take a tam or a cane with you which sucks :(

Edit: never mind; aparently there are no carrots or vegetable of any sorts in adventure mode. I guess then it is up to decision on what you want to give up. Tam and/or cane or endless dragonpies? Or may be even give up renewable silk?

38 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

[redacted]

Hm... I think, if you want to go for long-term, having the cane or sham isn't NECESSARY, but would be lovely to have. I took my cane with me just because I was so proud to have it. Haha

Bringing spider eggs would be great. Hadn't thought of that. I opted for just bringing an entire stack of silk but...

Renewable silk and monster meat for meatballs... Great strat...

The extra berry bushes would help, I'm sure, even if you can only bring a stack of 10... (wait, actually, I'm unsure if you can even plant them here. there's no grassy area as far as I know. the berry bushes pre-planted are sitting on rock? i think?) I also think it's impossible to plant trees here. That may be a dead end.

But a note, there's TONS of spiky trees and rocks/gold out in the darkness of the throne room. they can definitely last you a while. Even with a one-wood-per-tree thing going on, I was still able to make 10+ boards for the effigy, alchemy engine, and chest.

I personally would really recommend bringing a stack of fireflies though. Even if you don't bring a miner's helmet, it'll be super easy to craft and refill one or two with the fireflies.

From what I can see, the throne room is in permanent Autumn, and I've yet to encounter any hounds. I don't think it's really possible... but I could definitely be wrong.

On 27/06/2016 at 10:20 PM, Mobbstar said:

"chapter 5 of 5" is Darkness btw. :)

Hello darkness, my old friend.

Also I haven't checked this forum board for months. Then I saw living with Maxwell and I was like "wait wut?" So I clicked on it and welcomed with @Willette and @WPH's comic XD

Really funny and weird how you can last that long in the throne room though XD probably better than the wilderness overall :p

If you really want long term life with Maxwell I think the biggest problem is probably food and then sanity.  

For that reason, playing as Wigfrid helps and may solve your two big issues (since she gains sanity and health on a kill).  If I were to pick her, my three items (it is three items, right?) to bring would be spider eggs (as many as possible though two is probably enough), one bird, and a weapon.  It has been a long time since Adventure Mode, so feel free to correct me.  I believe there are some resources just not many.  Hopefully, there is enough to build some traps and those can be used to capture spiders (since your weapon won't last forever).

Another character that may be even better is Webber.  While he doesn't have the health and sanity bonuses, he can bait two spider dens to war against one another.  In this case, you may be able to get away without any weapons or armor because once you get your first piece of monster meat, you'll never have to physically fight again.  His sanity could be a huge issue though, but once you got established I think he may have the best chance to live indefinitely.  With him, I'd bring, spider eggs (again, as many as possible), one bird, and the last one is up for debate.  He may benefit most from either the Tam or a stack of Jerky (probably the jerky).  

Of course pre-build as many structures as possible, just in case.  You never know if you'll be able to use them.  The essentials would be a crockpot, tent, birdcage, fridge, fire pits, drying rack, and alchemy engine.

9 hours ago, WPH said:

^ I didn't know how to mention you so there's this blank quote.  Ha, sorry.

Great work!
You're definitely doing better then I did at surviving with Maxwell.  Plus, your adventure has me brainstorming new and exciting challenges.  So thanks for that.

@@StaypuftMMM not sure if this will show, but if it does then that is how you do it: "] (it doesn't) And you can't survive forever unless you are woodie... Well, you can but you will have to resort using grass/twigs/rot as fuel and will have to give up logsuits and use grass suits instead (you can resort to football helmets if you have a pig house and a flingo prebuilt). And your weapon of choice will have to be a ham bat. All of this because you don't bring pinecones and are not woodie (flint and gold is limited, so unless you are woodie who can chop down trees endlessly, you're screwed in terms of logs) I'm pretty sure you can plant stuff on a turf-less... Turf. So if there's some man-made turf somewhere, just dig it up via pitchfork if you want to. And without renewable logs means no dark swords, because you have to chop down trees to get tree guards for the living logs. Oh wait, you're not taking a prebuilt pighouse and a flingo with you? Well, good luck punching hounds to death/beating them with a walking cane with a grass suit on as webber! En garde! Oh yeah, you give up renewable sewing kits for tamoshanter if you take one too because that needs a log to craft. So, long term and may be even endless survival might be possible, but hound attacks will be a nightmare.

Put on a show for Mr. Maxwell today.

y8a4BK4.png

He still didn't seem very entertained.

I've also gone ahead and moved everything closer to us. Much less traversing through the darkness. That was putting a rather big strain on my sanity.

bf96aa9d3212411ba8a2b7c386dd6787.gif

He's still rather unimpressed.

I wasn't aware that hounds would attack.  However, Webber still sounds better because if you have several spider nests, they will take care of the hounds for you.  

In your post, I'm failing to see the large upside to having Woodie.  Is this all about the need for wood?  What do you need it for?  Assuming its armor, I think it can be avoided with Webber if he doesn't fight his own battles.  40 spiders can dispatch a group of hounds fairly efficiently.  En garde, indeed.

As for needing fuel, do the pedestal fires remain on all the time?  I think they do, so worrying about Charlie isn't an issue.  You didn't mention it but does Summer and Winter happen on this level?  If so, that would explain your interest in logs.  

25 minutes ago, StaypuftMMM said:

I wasn't aware that hounds would attack.  However, Webber still sounds better because if you have several spider nests, they will take care of the hounds for you.  

40 spiders can dispatch a group of hounds fairly efficiently.

I've reached day 30 and I've yet to encounter any hounds.

EDIT: I opted for destroying my stack of silk and the silk-related structures/items in exchange for the spider eggs. I was able to re-obtain necessary silk for the items I wanted and monster meat has made the tent-meatball method very effective.

Unfortunately, however, due to several miss-clicks, the nest was destroyed at tier one. I'm afraid my days are once again numbered. Much more harshly than before.

[Wilson voice] I'm nearing the end of my wits... call it my 'Wil-power', if you must...

W-what?!

wWQVaYL.png

A Maxwell's Grave site?? Was this here before?!

FaGaT34.png

W-well I've got Chesterfield now...

-----

It IS the grave site. Perhaps an... interesting little way just to put credits at the end of the game. Haha!

There probably isn't much to be gained by digging up those graves but that is a potential new resource that has yet to be mined.  

Seems like Maxwell enjoys your company more than we think.  Maybe he's just putting on a good "show."  When I was there a couple years ago, I don't think there were as many things in the world as you have.  So maybe they've expanded on it a bit.  Very unfortunate about your spider den loss. 

Archived