Recommended Posts

hyiltiz    249
4 hours ago, BluesyBuesy said:
  • Pasting text into DST is now supported on all platforms (Windows, Linux, and OSX).

Fm6DVg3.gif

SO GAY!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leonseye    799

I'm going to go ahead and assume that there isn't a way to access the new dice rolling or /emote functions playing w/ a controller.  : P

Not a big deal; not like I don't already use a keyboard to talk to people in game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
artemiyME    145

Is it possible to add winter/summer traps in worldgen at all as an option?

If not, why could it not be defaulted to "off" in wordgen and be turned on if server admin desires it?

Edited by artemiyME
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
V2C    5,643
2 hours ago, leonseye said:

I'm going to go ahead and assume that there isn't a way to access the new dice rolling or /emote functions playing w/ a controller.  : P

Not a big deal; not like I don't already use a keyboard to talk to people in game.

If you're using a controller, Dice Roll is available under the server commands menu, which can be accessed via the scoreboard.  The new '/emote' is essentially just a text chat message, so that one does require a keyboard.

1 hour ago, artemiyME said:

Is it possible to add winter/summer traps in worldgen at all as an option?

If not, why could it not be defaulted to "off" in wordgen and be turned on if server admin desires it?

We left all the files for the winter/summer intact and will be leaving this up to mods at this time.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CaptainChaotica    3,955

Veeeery dumb question but...

What exactly would the dice-rolling thing DO?  Is it for random number-guessing when you're bored?  I have no idea.

...Notorious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bebbit    2,781
23 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Veeeery dumb question but...

What exactly would the dice-rolling thing DO?  Is it for random number-guessing when you're bored?  I have no idea.

...Notorious

Yeah, it's a D20 AFAIK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Karmattack    773

Since you can now do RP-esque commands in the chat I wonder if this will give rise to roleplaying servers, if they don't already exist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leonseye    799
1 hour ago, V2C said:

If you're using a controller, Dice Roll is available under the server commands menu, which can be accessed via the scoreboard.  The new '/emote' is essentially just a text chat message, so that one does require a keyboard.

Oh sweet, so I can also pass the wee night hours rolling dice w/ my friends w/out having to do the controller / keyboard swap.  Very nice!

Again, it wasn't a big deal or anything, but I appreciate the little things like this.  Thanks.  : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GiddyGuy    7,563
3 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Veeeery dumb question but...

What exactly would the dice-rolling thing DO?  Is it for random number-guessing when you're bored?  I have no idea.

...Notorious

You could use it to decide who gets the eyebrella...or for some tele-o-cator roulette.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
artemiyME    145
4 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Veeeery dumb question but...

What exactly would the dice-rolling thing DO?  Is it for random number-guessing when you're bored?  I have no idea.

...Notorious

rolling for monster/boss drops if fought in group and cannot be reasonably distributed between party members orally. E.G. rolls for deerclops eye, pelt, DF loot, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ReubuxxInc    211
18 minutes ago, GiddyGuy said:

REROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Don't reroll too much, or you will end up with nothing but breakfast.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GiddyGuy    7,563
34 minutes ago, ReubuxxInc said:

Don't reroll too much, or you will end up with nothing but breakfast.

I'm not an egghead, egghead. :^)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CaptainChaotica    3,955

Ah. Okay, that makes sense.  I guess I've never been in a very big group or one that got much important/rare loot.  : P

...Notorious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moon64    212
Quote

We decided to remove the Winter and Summer traps from Don’t Starve Together’s Worldgen.

I could go at lengths at explaining how I'm disappointing in this design choice, but as always, it'll fall on deaf ears. The people who do listen are probably tired of hearing me say the same things over and over. 

Ever seen a newer player find an summer/winter trap for the first time? For the most part, it's an enjoyable surprise. The majority of the newer players won't survive the first Winter anyway, the players who can, can generally cope with an early Winter or Summer. Why are the devs attempting to create "late game" content like Beefalo Riding and "resource variants" if they just want to make a game where people live for the first year then quit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lukmendes    18
45 minutes ago, Moon64 said:

I could go at lengths at explaining how I'm disappointing in this design choice, but as always, it'll fall on deaf ears. The people who do listen are probably tired of hearing me say the same things over and over. 

Ever seen a newer player find an summer/winter trap for the first time? For the most part, it's an enjoyable surprise. The majority of the newer players won't survive the first Winter anyway, the players who can, can generally cope with an early Winter or Summer. Why are the devs attempting to create "late game" content like Beefalo Riding and "resource variants" if they just want to make a game where people live for the first year then quit?

 

That's probably made to stop trolls from annoying the other players, I mean, once I was playing on Klei's servers and someone activated the winter trap, then the world was reset since it was still too early for people to have anything to survive winter, then after the world was reset, someone activated it again, it was pretty annoying since no one was ready for it.

Edited by Lukmendes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CaptainChaotica    3,955

(heavy sigh) AGAIN, it all comes down to griefers.  We can never.  Have nice things.  Because.  Of griefers.

Why does EVERYTHING have to be immediately abused to annoy others?  I mean, I _know_ why--because some people are dicks--but seriously?  Those traps are one of the more cool/interesting dangers of the game, as they do something powerful and truly magic--that puts you in danger but DOESN'T kill you outright.  Unlike, say, one of those setpieces with the fire staff and gunpowder (if you don't move fast enough).  I think it's kinda freaky and cool, and fits the tone of the game.

But, because of griefers, we can't have cool traps, a fun-to-play Willow, etc...  (Even though I'll bet a lot of the "They burned my base down!" complaints were about people playing other characters.)  Argh.

...Notorious

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lukmendes    18
On 25/06/2016 at 0:38 AM, CaptainChaotica said:

But, because of griefers, we can't have cool traps, a fun-to-play Willow, etc...  (Even though I'll bet a lot of the "They burned my base down!" complaints were about people playing other characters.)  Argh.

...Notorious

I honestly don't even see the point of nerfing Willow to stop people from griefing with her, she's still usualy used as the character people chose to grief anyway, (Say what you want about other people just being able to make a torch, it's obvious she would be the chosen one for this just because she starts with the lighter), so nerfing her accomplished nothing, griefers still choose her, and most of her fans are just annoyed with how she is.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AnonymousKoala    3,635
1 hour ago, Lukmendes said:

I honestly don't even see the point of nerfing Willow to stop people from griefing with her, she's still usualy used as the character people chose to grief anyway, (Say what you want about other people just being able to make a torch, it's obvious she would be the chosen one for this just because she starts with the lighter), so nerfing her accomplished nothing, griefers still choose her, and most of her fans are just annoyed with how she is.

Not to mention nerfing the fire immunity wasn't required.

So Willow players could sit in the fires they caused. And? Dying doesn't mean they're kicked out. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CaptainChaotica    3,955

And as we've seen recently, even in cooperative, non-PvP servers, people have been using Wickerbottom to grief just as well!  More effectively, perhaps, since the tentacles _stay_ at spawn longer than fire keeps burning.  To this day, people still sometimes yell "BAN WILLOW!" the second one comes on the server (I was there when that happened recently--fortunately I was playing as Wendy) and yet, look at this tentacles-at-spawn-AND-the-touchstone thing. Look at it!

And yet, as we've seen, there is NO way.  NO way at all!--to completely keep players from messing each other up.  One of the most basic things at all--fire--can be used by anybody.  Not even counting things like Wickerbottom's spells.  You _need_ fire to live, or else Charlie will get you.  Anybody can make fire.  So anybody can grief.  There is no way to take that out of the game entirely without making it unlayable.

Sigh.

Can't we just like, ship all griefers everywhere off to a remote island with no Internet?  I've had it up to HERE with those festering genital sores.

...Notorious

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikeadatrix    2,029
39 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

And as we've seen recently, even in cooperative, non-PvP servers, people have been using Wickerbottom to grief just as well!  More effectively, perhaps, since the tentacles _stay_ at spawn longer than fire keeps burning.  To this day, people still sometimes yell "BAN WILLOW!" the second one comes on the server (I was there when that happened recently--fortunately I was playing as Wendy) and yet, look at this tentacles-at-spawn-AND-the-touchstone thing. Look at it!

And yet, as we've seen, there is NO way.  NO way at all!--to completely keep players from messing each other up.  One of the most basic things at all--fire--can be used by anybody.  Not even counting things like Wickerbottom's spells.  You _need_ fire to live, or else Charlie will get you.  Anybody can make fire.  So anybody can grief.  There is no way to take that out of the game entirely without making it unlayable.

Sigh.

Can't we just like, ship all griefers everywhere off to a remote island with no Internet?  I've had it up to HERE with those festering genital sores.

...Notorious

 

In the world of gaming... There will always be those dicks who get sick pleasure outta causing others pain. I second the request to ship them to a desert island... Hey... Maybe a real life version of DST and see if they actually know how to make things beside Torches and On Tentacles!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CaptainChaotica    3,955

(evil laugh) MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  That's even better!  >:D

(Seriously, how long would like, even the best real-life hardcore survivalist last in a "real" version of the Don't Starve world?  Even with the magic and raw ingredients/materials somehow turning into fully-dressed plates of food with silverware and hats with cute woven designs and such, ohmygod, it would be SO freaking deadly.  Even if we have EVERYTHING from the game there including working touchstones...)

...Notorious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now