[Game Update] - 182328

• Developer

Howdy Don’t Starvers, how are you all? Well fed I hope! Couple of fun changes added in this time. The “/roll” command will give you a random dice roll, good for filling your time on those cold nights with friends around the fire playing games of chance, and “/emote” will expand your range of expressions to whatever you can think of and hasn’t been animated yet. We decided to remove the Winter and Summer traps from Don’t Starve Together’s Worldgen. We miss them and will be looking to fill their void in the future, but with something a little more tailored to suit multiplayer. Inactive Bernies were causing some confusion, so he now remains fully functional when transferred to other Players, like many of the other character items.

Stay dry, stay sane, and stay fed. See you again soon.

View full update

• Like 22

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

Inactive Bernies were causing some confusion, so he now remains fully functional when transferred to other Players, like many of the other character items.

What? So does that mean Bernie works for everyone now? And, if he does, does that mean he no longer turns into silk/wool/beard hair when left on the ground too long?

• Developer
4 minutes ago, Scoobie101 said:

What? So does that mean Bernie works for everyone now? And, if he does, does that mean he no longer turns into silk/wool/beard hair when left on the ground too long?

Bernie will now work for anyone who goes insane near him.
He will decay on the ground ONLY if he is completely broken (0% health/durability).

• Like 5

The “/roll” command will give you a random dice roll, good for filling your time on those cold nights with friends around the fire playing games of chance.

So... it's sort of like twitch plays together's effects but random? 

Or is it just a regular random number from 1 to 6, which is intensely more boring but also a lot more sensible.

3 minutes ago, engiSonic said:

So... it's sort of like twitch plays together's effects but random? 

Or is it just a regular random number from 1 to 6, which is intensely more boring but also a lot more sensible.

It goes above 6, I've tested it already. 

4 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

I was expecting an actual dice rolling animation, maybe kneeling and rolling dice. Oh well...

If it isn't fuzzy dice, D20, or a fuzzy D20 I'd probably hate it.

4 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

I was expecting an actual dice rolling animation, maybe kneeling and rolling dice. Oh well...

If it isn't fuzzy dice, D20, or a fuzzy D20 I'd probably hate it.

• Like 2

While we're adding gambling can we have a shell game emote where you hide a berry under one of three potato cups? 

People could bet on which one it will end up underneath at the end of the animation, since the result would be random. 

• Like 6

Don't know if it was my suggestion or not but i'm very glad that the summer/winter traps were removed. I wouldn't mind other traps that affect all players as long as they're not severely punishing. Probably not intentional but the Bernie change gives a good indirect buff to Willow, now that it works for any insane player and doesn't decay, you can just drop it at the base forever or even give to your friends. It might not make her "top tier" but it gives you an actual reason to craft bernie and a unique team friendly perk exclusive to Willow.

Guess i'll DST again this weekend.

Edit: Also thank GOD beardlords only appearing on 15% sanity was fixed! I love killing them for easy beardhair but it's almost impossible with the shadow creatures hitting you and giving you sanity when you kill them! 

Edited by Serph
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason said:

We decided to remove the Winter and Summer traps from Don’t Starve Together’s Worldgen. We miss them and will be looking to fill their void in the future, but with something a little more tailored to suit multiplayer.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'll miss them. Was always nice to get an easy gear from the icebox, and purposely adapt a season as-needed. That said, I understand how it could be misunderstood by newcomers or misused intentionally, so I look forward to whatever you replace them with!

• Like 2

Hahah.  They're a pain, but kinda interesting to have.  On my last playthrough, I found a winter one that didn't activate, and, hey!  Free fridge!

...WAITwaitwait I haven't been able to get on the internet since then, and that world is still going.  Will the would-have-been trap stuff just...not be there, when I log back on?  Huh.  Like, I'll have only my firepit and science machine/alchemy engine, but the icebox, thermal measurer and chest will be gone?

Dangit.

But I can see why you'd get rid of them; they're not very newbie-friendly.  The one time we accidentally set off a summer trap in the middle of WINTER, we were still getting random new people wandering into the server and were like, "Uh...you DO know what season it is here...right...?"  "Oh yeah, sure!" (Player12345* has died of Overheating.)

SO glad you fixed the evil rabbits to show up at the right level of insanity.  YES.  I was about to go look for a mod for that.  As for picking roses starting the battle music...I thought that was hilarious.  : P  Confusing, but hilarious.  "OHNOES!  BATTLESTATIONS!  PUT ON YOUR ARMOUR!  EQUIP WEAPON!"

(raises eyebrow at game) It's...a flower?

By the way, does it still do that with the cactuses too, or not?

...Notorious

*If there actually is someone named that, I apologise.  : P

Edited by CaptainChaotica

7 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Nope, the battle music doesn't play therefore the cacti aren't declaring war upon you from picking their delicious flesh and flower accessories.

Edited by GiddyGuy
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Hahah.  They're a pain, but kinda interesting to have.  On my last playthrough, I found a winter one that didn't activate, and, hey!  Free fridge!

...WAITwaitwait I haven't been able to get on the internet since then, and that world is still going.  Will the would-have-been trap stuff just...not be there, when I log back on?  Huh.  Like, I'll have only my firepit and science machine/alchemy engine, but the icebox, thermal measurer and chest will be gone?

Dangit.

But I can see why you'd get rid of them; they're not very newbie-friendly.  The one time we accidentally set off a summer trap in the middle of WINTER, we were still getting random new people wandering into the server and were like, "Uh...you DO know what season it is here...right...?"  "Oh yeah, sure!" (Player12345* has died of Overheating.)

SO glad you fixed the evil rabbits to show up at the right level of insanity.  YES.  I was about to go look for a mod for that.  As for picking roses starting the battle music...I thought that was hilarious.  : P  Confusing, but hilarious.  "OHNOES!  BATTLESTATIONS!  PUT ON YOUR ARMOUR!  EQUIP WEAPON!"

(raises eyebrow at game) It's...a flower?

...Notorious

*If there actually is someone named that, I apologise.  : P

For the winter trap breaking the fridge doesn't set it off, though for the summer trap it does. 

I like this patch. <3 This makes Bernie a lot less meh (At some point, there's a decent chance -someone- will be insane when they're not prepared to fight shadows) and Willow direly needed a buff like that, which is pretty nice. And beardlings/lords appearing properly is, as well, a very sweet improvement.

• Like 2

Haha!  Despite their formidable armour, I have defeated the cactus-people!  They lie broken at my feet, and shall never dare to challenge us again.

...I seem to be channeling Wigfrid.  : P

As for the trap...isn't it opening the chest that sets it off?  And...it's not that I want to break the fridge.  I want to HAVE the fridge.  I'm worried that the new update might've erased it.  (shrug) 

What happened was...quite near the portal and in a nice location, we found a winter trap that didn't go off, and suddenly hey!  Free fridge and chest full of gear/supplies!  Why not set up here?  So we did.

(The obvious way to find out if it's still there or not is to log into my server and check, but I'm not up for a long actual-playing session right now and if other people show up, I'll feel like I SHOULD play with them since we don't run into each other all that often, yada yada...)

...Notorious

• Developer
26 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I'm worried that the new update might've erased it. 

Existing worlds will not be altered. They just won't be added to any newly generated worlds from now on.

@V2C Any chance of making servers be able to broadcast messages into the text box like the DisplaySystemMessage function does?  (It's seemingly a client-sided thing only right now.)

As it stands the dedicated server will use the token generator's name with using TheNet:Say, and the announcement area real estate is startin' to get bogged.

Reason for it is that I currently have the server talking with the Murmur server to send chat messages between each program, using announcements currently to display the text because having my name plastered each time isn't too great.