On 10/3/2016 at 10:51 PM, DragonMage156 said:

If you don't already know, I've been thinking of doing a comic dub of WmR. Wilson realized he sounds like a trumpet and is quite embarrassed so I'll need some volunteers to do the voices. Currently there are 5 characters (Wilson, Red, Fluffy, Maxwell and Willow). If I get enough volunteers, I'll start writing up the script so you don't have to go digging up my comics to read

I'm sure the offer is down by now, eh?...
But hey, I'm willing for participating randomly for things like this should another option appear. Things of this matter have always interested me. I mean, here I am doing cosplays, trying to craft look-alikes to the food in-game, ect... I roleplay, but I haven't roleplayed Don't Starve things (No one to roleplay that with) Plus I'm very very picky about who I do roleplay with sometimes anyway. People say there are a lot of annoying roleplayers here? If that's true it could be believable, I wouldn't be picky if it weren't true in some cases. 
But voice-acting is a form following all of this, or within the interests of me.

However, chances that I'd have a voice of any use might be slim. I'm kind of nasally and high-pitched. Maybe if I tried to sound like a manly-version of myself I could do Wilson, if I might sound anything even vaguely like a trumpet, but... Otherwise, I have no clue. 

Nice, I chattered so much I gave this thread another page. I hope you don't mind my talkativeness. Perhaps it is result of silently watching the art section here now and then but never speaking, and now it's all coming out in a river of comments. D8

Edited by gallusvarius
Added the thingy at the bottom remarking about breaking into a new page on this thread, because the amount which I type and say is absolutely absurd. Oh well, time to go say more stuff at more people.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

This is a really, really good depiction of Willow. I can both very easily tell it's Willow from the game and retains enough of her defining features, but is also full of expression and is more 'fleshed out' than the game provides us (We get little tiny bodies attached to GIANT HEADS that are probably larger than the bodies themselves...) It's always nice to see them in a more realistic light.

Actually, that Willow was from a draw along stream so it much better in comparison to my freehand ideas. Still thanks for the kind words ^_^

This, combined with the screenshot, was amusing enough to make me smile. His slowly depleting Hunger drawn off to the side there helps add  to the humor for sure. 

Glad you liked it. Funny I was actually working on this earlier ;)

That they might learn to step over a low picket fence.

I sure hope not. Though funnily enough, Wilson is based off what my friend did to escape tallbirds XD

The small storyline you have going here is also interesting.  I'm busy looking for the part somewhere before this - Yeah yeah I'm cheating since I'm not looking at these in order, I'm... Going backwards or something? Even with what I've seen now it leaves certain suspense.

Thanks. There's only 10 parts at the moment but you can read the first part on page one of this thread or read them all on DA: https://dragonmage156.deviantart.com/art/Wilson-meets-Red-comic-588207601. The quality is not as good as page 10 so please bear that in mind ^^;

Though sadly, I've been busy with Fallen Down (Ori/Undertale crossover comic) and catching up with some other drawings to work on it. I hope to continue it one day though.

I'm sure the offer is down by now, eh?...

Actually no it's not. When I posted that only one person seems interested (and actually recorded a line as a sort of audition). However as previously stated the comic is on hiatus so maybe in the future?

and now it's all coming out in a river of comments.

Oh no don't feel bad, I love getting comments in my art threads and was a bit sad when the original commenters drifted away from the forums ^^;

Thanks for all the kind words and like spam ^_^

1 minute ago, DragonMage156 said:

I sure hope not. Though funnily enough, Wilson is based off what my friend did to escape tallbirds XD

Yeah, I read that much too. I also make stuff off of what happens to me and friends in-game, but unfortunately, I don't think they come out nearly as amusing as your's do. 

3 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

Actually no it's not. When I posted that only one person seems interested (and actually recorded a line as a sort of audition). However as previously stated the comic is on hiatus so maybe in the future?

Maybe in the future indeed?   Sometimes I want to animate stuff and give them voices too, but otherwise of a few run-cycles for some different animals and a goofy thing that happened to a friend playing Woodie, I believe my talent may be lesser in that area... However, perhaps I can keep trying. If I can get to a point where, no matter the lack of quality, you can tell what's going on, I'd definitely try to utilize it for funny things. 

2 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

Thanks. There's only 10 parts at the moment but you can read the first part on page one of this thread or read them all on DA: https://dragonmage156.deviantart.com/art/Wilson-meets-Red-comic-588207601. The quality is not as good as page 10 so please bear that in mind ^^;

Though sadly, I've been busy with Fallen Down (Ori/Undertale crossover comic) and catching up with some other drawings to work on it. I hope to continue it one day though.

Ah, I'll pull that up. I am quite familiar with DA, even if I'm... Not popular there at all, but I know the way the site works, so, it's easier for me. I'll pull that up and read it later when it's not 1:30 AM around here like it is right now. 
It's fine. We can't focus on something forever, we're bound to have other interests, even if bound by a shared interest of this game here. 

6 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

Oh no don't feel bad, I love getting comments in my art threads and was a bit sad when the original commenters drifted away from the forums ^^;

Got it, then I will gladly flood this to my heart's content with my oddly continuous walls of text that could possibly be used to construct literature canyons. 
That makes sense, that it would be disappointing that original commenters drifted away.   My silent observations in the past has lead me to see that you and Minespatch seem to be the most prominently active here.

I see quite a few fledglings poking out for attention but less giving attention. That is, more asking and less giving, though clearly you're a very active commenter on people around here, so there are no doubts of you. But if I think we focused on giving attention as much as we wanted it ourselves, then perhaps everyone would get a lot more commentary... 
In some ways, I feel my comments are more needed on smaller threads. Humor and good ideas can be found even in those who are less practiced? And a comment on a less-popular person is more likely to be given stronger attention, because sometimes those more popular can be over-ridden with responses, not that they value comments less.
I think your stuff is pretty funny, myself, though, without a doubt. Especially the illustrations inspired by in-game interactions, I found those really funny.

3 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Yeah, I read that much too. I also make stuff off of what happens to me and friends in-game, but unfortunately, I don't think they come out nearly as amusing as your's do. 

I only draw the best shenanigans. Though to be fair my friend's dragged into more games than I can count, not that I'm complaining XD

4 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Sometimes I want to animate stuff and give them voices too

Y'know I'm actually hoping to get into the art of 3D animation. Who knows, maybe one day I can just animate my comics :p

5 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Ah, I'll pull that up. I am quite familiar with DA, even if I'm... Not popular there at all, but I know the way the site works, so, it's easier for me. I'll

It's fine. We can't focus on something forever, we're bound to have other interests, even if bound by a shared interest of this game here. 

Pfft, I'm not all that popular either so I know that feel. I put links in the description so it's easier to find the next part ;)

Actually Fallen Down was a combination of a game I liked and a popular game of the internet (I liked Undertale too but not as much as the rest of the internet and certainly not as much as Ori). I was trying to get more watches if I'm honest but I think most of the hype around Undertale died down and moved onto something else like Fortnight (currently). I don't plan to stop but maybe I can give Fallen Down a break after it's next part?

15 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

though clearly you're a very active commenter on people around here

Nah, just the art sections and off-topic really. Though I do have a tenancy to flood those sections with replies sometimes ^^;

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

I only draw the best shenanigans. Though to be fair my friend's dragged into more games than I can count, not that I'm complaining XD

Ah. I try to follow the same practice. I think I at least know one very funny one, but I drew it years ago and don't think I did it justice.
I wish I had a friend like that though. While I have a large quantity of people to play with, no specific one is always interested in playing at any given time. Technically speaking, I'm not always either, but still.
I know one I tried animating and came out much more amusing that way, so I must not be properly depicting the passage of time in comic-form. There is some bit in me that's willing to try and animate some of the others I don't feel so great about too, so I may try that.

20 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

Y'know I'm actually hoping to get into the art of 3D animation. Who knows, maybe one day I can just animate my comics :p

3-D animation? Like, computer animation?  Is computer animation more simple than the sort one sits down and draws?
In general, animating is a point of interest. Klei clearly provides the best animations, but no ones really made a full-out animated story the way some want it. (Aileen(?) Rose has animatics and some pretty close stuff, though. But I see people still asking, so it must not be enough.) 
I was just thinking of the issue of voice actors, then suddenly remembered - Technically speaking, we could get recordings of the character's in-game voices and such or from their voice files and just subtitle them as if they were speaking a different language. It would make them a lot more familiar to people, I bet.

22 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

I don't plan to stop but maybe I can give Fallen Down a break after it's next part?

If you asked me, I'd say, work on Fallen Down for as long as you have inspiration for it - Try to reap the motive while it's there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

3-D animation? Like, computer animation?  Is computer animation more simple than the sort one sits down and draws?

3D/CGI animation so pretty much (think of Zootopia or Disney's more recent animated films).

I was originally inspired by MMD (MikuMikuDance) with is a free anime themed animation program but it's quite buggy and awkward sometimes. I think is sorta easier than 2D (more cartoony like classic Disney films) cos you have a pre-built model and environment instead of drawing frame by frame. Though I've always wanted to try a bit of 2D myself since drawing stuff inbetween frames (from point A to point B) seems simple enough.

10 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

Aileen(?) Rose

Eyy, you know of her too! Then again who doesn't at this point ^_^ She's like the center of the DS fandom right now :p

11 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

I was just thinking of the issue of voice actors, then suddenly remembered - Technically speaking, we could get recordings of the character's in-game voices and such or from their voice files and just subtitle them as if they were speaking a different language. It would make them a lot more familiar to people, I bet.

Yeah we could, only I can only see that working with comedic and not-so-serious animations. If we were to use it for, say, in the heat of battle or someone trying to save someone/something, it would be quite distracting and could not be taken very seriously. Then again that's just my opinion.

Then again voice actors aren't always needed. I've seen people make animations with just subtitles. It seems to work just as well.

31 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

3D/CGI animation so pretty much (think of Zootopia or Disney's more recent animated films).

I was originally inspired by MMD (MikuMikuDance) with is a free anime themed animation program but it's quite buggy and awkward sometimes. I think is sorta easier than 2D (more cartoony like classic Disney films) cos you have a pre-built model and environment instead of drawing frame by frame. Though I've always wanted to try a bit of 2D myself since drawing stuff inbetween frames (from point A to point B) seems simple enough.

True, reminds me of Garry's Mod, and how you had 'Models' that you could pose. Probably just like that. Making a model and posing them differently each shot does sound easier.
Though I may be more of a drawing person myself, at least for these matters. 

33 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

Eyy, you know of her too! Then again who doesn't at this point ^_^ She's like the center of the DS fandom right now

She is?
I thought 'It's the Blob' might be a little more recognized too? It seems there are quite a few who are recognized, like that person with Raven in their username, Night Wonder, and maybe to a lesser degree than some of the others, 'the-letter-W.' 
One thing notable they all have in common - A fair style or display, but more importantly, amusing things and things that talk about character interaction, inferring to me that, drawing out character scenes is a good way to get attention. While drawing very detailed and realistic/or 'Good' art is good all on it's own, there are out in the world, some pretty detailed depictions of these characters done by more professional artists who took intrigue in this game. But more famous than these hyper-realistic hyper-professional artists, are the artists that actually show the character interactions. 

I have to agree with the general public on this, character interactions are a nice thing. 

38 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

Yeah we could, only I can only see that working with comedic and not-so-serious animations. If we were to use it for, say, in the heat of battle or someone trying to save someone/something, it would be quite distracting and could not be taken very seriously. Then again that's just my opinion.

Then again voice actors aren't always needed. I've seen people make animations with just subtitles. It seems to work just as well.

I agree, it could only be used for comedy. 
That's probably what I would animate if I animated, so it's what I was thinking of.

It would make sense to shift to real voices or subtitles for a more serious atmosphere.
You could practice a different form of animation between the two, to separate 'comedy shorts' from 'This is real storyline stuff.' 
Like, a more game-accurate style for comedy, along with their game-accurate voices. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gallusvarius said:

She is?
I thought 'It's the Blob' might be a little more recognized too? It seems there are quite a few who are recognized, like that person with Raven in their username, Night Wonder, and maybe to a lesser degree than some of the others, 'the-letter-W.' 

RavenCrow. And they have been recognized for being in the fandom longer (Quoth is another one) but she has a really cool art style, not to mention animations/storyboards. If I didn't find her first, Klei definitely would have ^_^

1 hour ago, gallusvarius said:

I agree, it could only be used for comedy. 

This animation is a perfect example ^_^

Spoiler

Love it btw XD

As for switching between sound and silence, Idk. I'd prefer to keep a theme (dub or sub) for a single video.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

RavenCrow. And they have been recognized for being in the fandom longer (Quoth is another one) but she has a really cool art style, not to mention animations/storyboards. If I didn't find her first, Klei definitely would have ^_^

Klei seeks people out? I didn't know that. I always figured they were too busy,  but then, they do seem awesomely interactive. 

18 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

This animation is a perfect example ^_^

I love that animation. My brother showed it to me a long, long time ago. 

Yeah, just a single video, of course.   

On 5/16/2018 at 4:00 AM, DragonMage156 said:

I tried another hairstyle for Kage:

5afbf2dea4784_Nodevilhair.thumb.jpg.234235f9cc41ccf541dfe9e6f75ac660.jpg

Devil horns doesn't suit him. Guess I'll just experiment with what I have now.

Interesting. I think you did well on the facial structure and anatomy-stuff like that; The shape of the chin, where the ears are positioned, ect. 

I hope you find a style that suits his hair. 
I know wild, spiky shapes take a lot of interest... Maybe if you bend them back somehow or in some other direction, or have less/more 'prongs?' Just suggestions of things to try while looking for suitable hair. 
I personally saw no problem with the hair here, but I don't know the character either, so I wouldn't know if the hair failed to match the personality. Above is just suggestions on how to change the hair in hopes of finding something you like more. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 3:52 AM, gallusvarius said:

I personally saw no problem with the hair here, but I don't know the character either, so I wouldn't know if the hair failed to match the personality.

His name is Kage (which is my old shadow OC from a while back...)

Spoiler

shadow_dragonmage_sketches_by_dragonmage

I decided to redesign him (sorta like humanize but it's more than just making a new version of him). Basically he was the shadow that would haunt Ria if she went too insane but she can't see or hear him if she's keeps sane enough. Eventually the queen (Charlie) decided to give him a temporary body same from shadow/nightmare fuel:

20180511_171735.jpg

I may just try to tweak his hair shown here but I wanted it to have shadow characteristics somewhat (without it looking over the top or like some teenager rockstar wannabe). I'm not too good at designing stuff but luckily I decided to use clothes from DST (if Charlie gave him a body, she would have given him clothes as well) but I'm not sure about his hair. Though after all this time, I think it's been growing on me. It's either this or stealing another hairstyle from one of my other OCs. I kinda had that in mind at the time anyway but didn't wanna use it for the sake of telling them apart ^^;

But yeah that's pretty much the gist of it.

• Like 2

I come bearing actual art this time!

King of the Crockpot:

king_of_the_crockpot_by_dragonmage156-dc

Based off this screenshot from my friend, @EgotisticalRaven. I actually got the hunger meter surprisingly spot on since I didn't have this screenshot as a ref >u<

Gloms and dragloms alike like the crockpot it seems :p (Draglom, we need that crockpot XD )

New Kind of Survival:

new_kind_of_survival_by_dragonmage156-dc

I didn't have any better name for it ^^; but in a way, this is me and Raven in a nutshell. I like to do the fighting and exploring while he likes staying near base >u< but it's fine, we still have loads of fun.

As for the image, I think I drew this back when I was looking around for WigfridxWilson art. It was left in the dust of obscurity but this image was fun to draw :p I think it's one of my most energetic freehand (no ref) drawings :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, minespatch said:

If you ship both Wilson with Wigfrid and Willow, can he share them both?

Thankfully my kittykit is just a whiner and not a hoarder.:wilson_ecstatic:

SPATCH!! XD

Well dragons do have a tenancy to hoarder stuff. Maybe he thinks the crockpot is a treasure chest :p

2 hours ago, EgotisticalRaven said:

Awww! Somehow every time you draw your pet Glom Glom dragonfly, it comes out more and more adorable!

I had a DST drawing I was working on, maybe I should get back to working on it....

Thanks. Maybe it's because everytime I draw him is practice (though I'd like to think drawing the Spyro styled dragons helped >u< ) it's a good thing he gets better and still looks as cute in my style. I'm proud of this one (technically I'm proud of both of these ^_^ )

I can't wait to see it!

• Haha 1

I made a new poll btw.

Edit: You can read both comics on my DA or each in their respective threads. However they may be a bit scattered across all the pages so DA might be easier overall.

Edited by DragonMage156
Added an edit

On 5/18/2018 at 9:39 PM, DragonMage156 said:

His name is Kage (which is my old shadow OC from a while back...)

Reveal hidden contents

shadow_dragonmage_sketches_by_dragonmage

I decided to redesign him (sorta like humanize but it's more than just making a new version of him). Basically he was the shadow that would haunt Ria if she went too insane but she can't see or hear him if she's keeps sane enough. Eventually the queen (Charlie) decided to give him a temporary body same from shadow/nightmare fuel:

20180511_171735.jpg

I may just try to tweak his hair shown here but I wanted it to have shadow characteristics somewhat (without it looking over the top or like some teenager rockstar wannabe). I'm not too good at designing stuff but luckily I decided to use clothes from DST (if Charlie gave him a body, she would have given him clothes as well) but I'm not sure about his hair. Though after all this time, I think it's been growing on me. It's either this or stealing another hairstyle from one of my other OCs. I kinda had that in mind at the time anyway but didn't wanna use it for the sake of telling them apart ^^;

But yeah that's pretty much the gist of it.

Ahh, I see, this makes sense now. 
Clever little idea here, really. He's interesting.

Who's ria, though? I don't actually seem to know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1