Your opinion on each character's voice

Feels like American Idol...  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Tick all characters whose voices you cannot stand.

• Wilson
    • Willow
    • Wendy
    • Wolfgang
    • WX-78
    • Wickerbottom
    • Woodie
    • Webber
    • Wigfrid
    • Wes (mute)
    • Maxwell
    • Warly
    • Walani
    • Woodlegs
    • Wilbur
    • None
    • Lucy (Woodie's Axe)
  2. 2. Whose voice is your absolute favourite?

• Wilson
    • Willow
    • Wendy
    • Wolfgang
    • WX-78
    • Wickerbottom
    • Woodie
    • Webber
    • Wigfrid
    • Wes (mute)
    • Maxwell
    • Warly
    • Walani
    • Woodlegs
    • Wilbur
    • None
    • Lucy (Woodie's Axe)
  3. 3. Which music styles do you like?

• Rock
    • Heavy Metal
    • Classic
    • Swing / Jazz
    • Dubstep / Wubwubz
    • Ragtime / Polka
    • I hate music and am a horrible person, please kill me.
    • Folk / Celtic / Old Church Songs

I don't really have a problem with any of their voices, so I picked None, but Wigfrid and Webber are pretty harsh and I could see them being annoying. It's also hard to pick an absolute favourite, but in the end I went with Wendy, it's spooky and fits the base game well. I really like Walani and Woodlegs for Shipwrecked too and of course Wilson's voice is funny, his hurt and death voices always crack me up.

I love that Wes is even an option on this poll.  : P

I dunno, I like all of their voices...the only thing that "bothers" me about some of them is trying to figure out WHICH the hell instrument(s) they are...I'm really curious, and there seems to be little actual documentation about it anywhere.  (WHAT...the _phrack_...is Webber?!  Or WX-78?  It sounds honestly artificial and not like a normal instrument at all.)  My favourites are probably Wilson's "disgruntled accordion" (as one Let'sPlayer called it) and Wendy's spooookyyyyneeesss...

Wigfrid's is obnoxious, and I LOVE it.  It cracks me up.  :D  It's so perfect for her, and it's especially funny when she says something about being quiet...in that voice.  "KEEP QUIET, THE CREATURE IS NEAR!"  : P

As for music, I like bits of most things and several categories that aren't on the list.  :)

...Notorious

9 hours ago, BluesyBuesy said:

I love Wes' voice the most. Sometimes I just stand in one spot and repeatedly inspect stuff so that the sounds of his melodic voice wash over me. 

KRuKG0s.png

Spoiler

rhtmfho.png

nqndQmD.png

yNRnVsE.png

4 hours ago, Ruskraaz said:

Wilson's voice is funny, his hurt and death voices always crack me up.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds it amusing. I'm aware his voice is a muted trumpet but his hit SFX always sounded like a distressed party horn to me. I'm usually in a call when I play and people will always ask me why I laugh when I die. It's that god damn party horn of death.

I heard Woodlegs for the first time yesterday. It was so lovely to listen to that it caught me off-guard.

Ah crap, double posting.

9 hours ago, BluesyBuesy said:

I love Wes' voice the most. Sometimes I just stand in one spot and repeatedly inspect stuff so that the sounds of his melodic voice wash over me. 

such symphony

Wes-Bike2.gif

I've got something real to say though, and it's that while I love the character concept of Wes, I still can't bring myself to play him because of how much joy the other characters' quotes and remarks about the world around them bring me. I mean that after some time, Wes' animations although cute become uninteresting, and I can't even blame anyone for it, since thinking of an animation and bringing it to life take so much more work than just writing a string of text. Just needed to get that out of my system.

On topic, I used to really dislike Wigfrid's, but more and more I saw the charm in it. For a favorite, though, definitely Wendy's and Wes', the first because it makes the game so much more eerie and the second because it helps build the sense of loneliness in singleplayer (which I absolutely adore) and, at least on me, of dependence and need for teamwork in DST.

Hahah cool post! I always liked the flute voices, Willow and Wendy. The 'alto flute' played in Wendy's voice has a nice tune and even more interesting because fits her personality so well (although it has to do with the duration of the notes too, they're long) :)

And hmm, jazz forumers, huh?

"Tick all characters whose voices you cannot stand"

*Ticks all*

"Whose voice is your absolute favourite?"

Hmm... *Ticks all*

"Which music styles do you like?"

Hmmm.. Ah! *Ticks all and ticks "I hate music and am a horrible person, please kill me."*

Alternative rock and rap are my favorite genres of music, and neither of those are on there. I don't know what to do so I guess I hate music?

Also, I think it would be cool if there was some way to compare what kind of music people like with how they feel about certain voices on a case-by-case basis. Not sure if there is really a way to do that, but it would be neat.

On 18.06.2016 at 5:23 PM, CaptainChaotica said:

it's especially funny when she says something about being quiet...in that voice.  "KEEP QUIET, THE CREATURE IS NEAR!"  : P

Couldn't help but get reminded of this:

To be slightly more on topic: unlike many forumers here, I'm not a big fan of Wendy's voice. To me it sounds too weak, like she's trying to play the flute with her dying breath, which, I suppose, is the point, but still... I want my videogame characters stuck in an endless loop of life and death on an inescapable hellhole of an island full of creatures that want to tear them apart to sound livelier!

I don't like how Wigfrid is different with this "cacophony" of various stuff.

Favourite? Hard to decide between Woodlegs/Walani.

I never played as Wilbur or Warly, they're not in DST - I have no idea how they sound. Probably bad ;_;'

Wigfrid sounds like a fancy organ to me, like a big pipe organ maybe, definitely some kind of brass instrument, and Webber sounds like plucking randomly at the strings of a low-tuned, distorted electric guitar. (I call it "a death metal guitar".) Having said that, I'm not a musician or a composer, so I could be completely wrong, particularly about Wigfrid since everyone else is convinced her voice is an entire orchestra.

Wigfrid's voice is quite possibly my favourite, it's very dramatic-sounding. She just has no indoor voice whatsoever.

I like Warly's voice a lot, but he's steel drums and I'm a fan of those in general, so it's no surprise.

Wilson's voice isn't exactly melodic, but it's funny and endearing.

Lucy's squeaky musical saw is my least favourite but I don't hate it. It seems fitting for a possessed axe.

I have never heard Wilbur or Woodlegs speak because I don't have them unlocked and they're not in DST.

jack (of all trades) aka the beefalo trader has a neat voice too... but i picked maxwell as favourite for obvious reasons. :p that being said, i thought wilbur's has a neat sound even though i never play him. 

least favourite... i don't have one. if they hadn't lowered the volume on wigfrid's i'd probably have picked that, but klei thankfully saw the error of their ways from her initial ear shattering tones. 

On 6/18/2016 at 7:23 AM, CaptainChaotica said:

(WHAT...the _phrack_...is Webber?! 

to me, webber sounds like a (possibly plucked) electric bass. i'm pretty sure you could put one of his voice lines in the opening to seinfeld and nobody would notice. or replace his voices with seinfeld. either one would probably work. 

I love Wigfrid's voice, it's so POWERFUL and idk xd

12 hours ago, Maslak said:

I don't like Wigfrid's voice, but one sound is really nice and satisfying - her death sound.

you know, I would be like "you monster!" but you're right LOL instead of just being a sound that gradually goes down in pitch its a tune :0

Archived