[Game Update] - 180814

1 hour ago, PanAzej said:

The new Twiggy Tree design is just ugly.

This.
These new trees look like something out of... I dunno, but not DS. Their form and colour is just so out of place.

Edited by thesamon
These*
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, thesamon said:

This.
These new trees look like something out of... I dunno, but not DS. Their form and colour is just so out of place.

Well, I liked the previous design much more (and wished they would become a staple, visual-wise).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, kazoooo said:

I believe I saw a post saying that mods crashed the game while they were in a server, but has anyone else had trouble just turning them on in the first place? I get a crash as soon as I hit apply.

do you remember what mod was it? its not the client that is crashing its server

3 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

Archery (the issue's with the quiver because of equippable.lua). Do you want me to look for the post by @Muche?

Thanks, Arle, But I am not using Archery on any servers.

The person in logs just used same method on all my servers and crashed all of them, he is getting banned... Can someone really look into that log please???

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, artemiyME said:

Thanks, Arle, But I am not using Archery on any servers.

The person in logs just used same method on all my servers and crashed all of them, he is getting banned... Can someone really look into that log please???

You're welcome. I also noticed Party Dance would cause the very same. Not sure if it helps. At any rate, seeing a log would help.

5 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

You're welcome. I also noticed Party Dance would cause the very same. Not sure if it helps. At any rate, seeing a log would help.

Thankf, but I am not using that mod either. I added log before, but here is another one from Survival server, same stuff is happening in the end of log, this is Survival server now...

server_log.txt

Hmm, something with networkclientrpc.lua, but what exactly, I have to leave to real professionals. Some form of DDoS? It clearly has something to do with slots, but I wonder if you were emptying their pockets (Drop Stuff on Kick?) or the-like. Sorry.

some clarifications for anyone experiencing this:

rezecib: he sent an invalid RPC
rezecib: this should be able to crash any server I think
artemiy: and on english?
rezecib: client -> server communication
rezecib: is all through RPC
rezecib: it's like saying "hey I did this, now do the server part"

Yes, yo uare right, i think, he found a way to DDoS.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PanAzej said:

I rather regenerate the world than keep a world with Twiggy Trees. They are annoying to newcomers, they make it so it takes even longer to get one of the most basic resources (Twigs), and are just bad overall. Unless you're Woodie, I guess. Meh.

Twiggy trees are actually pretty ridiculous right now. It's just free twigs everywhere in the world. They're not very good for farming, but if you're ever just taking a stroll, you can end up with 3 stacks of twigs in a day.

And I disagree on their new look, I much prefer the new appearance.

And to follow up on @artemiyME's crash log, this can be reproduced by sending an RPC that fails ANY of the arguments' checks. To the devs: I understand that you made it a crash condition so you could find bugs in "legitimate" RPCs, but at the moment it makes it super easy to just walk into any server and crash it. Since we're getting an in-game bug report form soon, perhaps it could just fire off some logging to you when this happens instead?

Edited by rezecib
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, rezecib said:

Twiggy trees are actually pretty ridiculous right now. It's just free twigs everywhere in the world. They're not very good for farming, but if you're ever just taking a stroll, you can end up with 3 stacks of twigs in a day.

I haven't played after the update in a world with Twiggy Trees, so I guess they were changed.

Also, it would've been really cool if we could get steam card's background with no letters/characters. Just sayin' :p

13 minutes ago, rezecib said:

And to follow up on @artemiyME's crash log, this can be reproduced by sending an RPC that fails ANY of the arguments' checks. I understand that you made it a crash condition so you could find bugs in "legitimate" RPCs, but at the moment it makes it super easy to just walk into any server and crash it. Since we're getting an in-game bug report form soon, perhaps it could just fire off some logging to you when this happens instead?

Don't think I manually made any error a crash condition, unless its a mod that does it without me knowing it?

36 minutes ago, artemiyME said:

some clarifications for anyone experiencing this:

rezecib: he sent an invalid RPC
rezecib: this should be able to crash any server I think
artemiy: and on english?
rezecib: client -> server communication
rezecib: is all through RPC
rezecib: it's like saying "hey I did this, now do the server part"

Yes, yo uare right, i think, he found a way to DDoS.

Damn, I wish I hadn't taken the right educated guess, honestly :(.

2 hours ago, PanAzej said:

The new Twiggy Tree design is just ugly.

I'm sorry, but previous version was looking better, imo.

Twiggy Trees should take less chops to take them down or something. People dislike them, yes, but their visual desing wasn't a problem, haha...

I rather regenerate the world than keep a world with Twiggy Trees. They are annoying to newcomers, they make it so it takes even longer to get one of the most basic resources (Twigs), and are just bad overall. Unless you're Woodie, I guess. Meh.

As Woodie, they are fairly good as they provide both twigs and logs. I admit I had the best time as Woodie on a wilderness server where my two pals asked for him to quickly farm wood. I committed "suicide" to despawn, made it to the base and then my rampage through a twiggy farm started... Good times.

But it's just for Woodie who doesn't need flint and twigs to make an axe first, and has Lucy, AKA quicker chopping.

22 hours ago, rezecib said:

And to follow up on @artemiyME's crash log, this can be reproduced by sending an RPC that fails ANY of the arguments' checks. To the devs: I understand that you made it a crash condition so you could find bugs in "legitimate" RPCs, but at the moment it makes it super easy to just walk into any server and crash it. Since we're getting an in-game bug report form soon, perhaps it could just fire off some logging to you when this happens instead?

Since this is now open and in the public, they left the debugging there to ensure their changes aren't affecting their stuff.

As well as it being a crashing-related thing you should also get who did it in the logs, so you may ban them from your server in the future.

I know, not the most ideal thing and on my server I administrate on I have the assert commented out.

Spoiler

rrc0QMu.png

jMrxnF8.png

22 hours ago, artemiyME said:

Thankf, but I am not using that mod either. I added log before, but here is another one from Survival server, same stuff is happening in the end of log, this is Survival server now...

server_log.txt

Thanks, I'll be adding the user to my server's banlist.

Mmm, from the log it would seem to imply that the user might not have intentionally done this with the mods there on the server.

Edited by CarlZalph

• Developer

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the feedback, glad you like the cards! :D

There's an awful lot to respond to here, so I'm just gonna say, we're reading every post in this thread, we'll be patching as appropriate. Wheee Monday hotfixes!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CarlZalph said:

Mmm, from the log it would seem to imply that the user might not have intentionally done this with the mods there on the server.

I really wanted to believe that was the case but what happened is:

1. One server crashed, it has been restarted from fresh and save file wiped, same thing happened in 30 min. I inspect logs and find out his name in it, I try to spy on him for 15 min using Observer mod with no luck.

2. After I leave server and go get food I come back to 5 out of 7 servers crashed with same exact error and his names in it.

3. He was trolling pvp servers before with Varg-hound-ghost-haunting-swarm-hounds-kill-everyone technique and has been warned about it previously to current incident - his response was pretty much defiance, saying it is not in my server rules, therefore he was allowed to do it, also told me to add it to rules... 

4. I have a mixed responses from modders I know, someone is sure he did it intentionally since whatever he was doing was spammed multiple times in each server, not just done once.