SKIN HEAVEN SERVERS: Exploit or Fair Use?

10 minutes ago, SuperPsiPower said:

Never in my post did I talk about abolishing Trading, only marketability.

If you feel that the market is neccessary, then so be it. But fact of the matter is that people can't be trusted to make decent pricings when new skins are released, due to hype of release and greed. Remember when the Scortching Satchel came out? And the pricing remained in the high 100$ range? Stuff like that is ridiculous. Why buy a cosmetic for 100$ when I can buy like 2 games equivalent to the price? Wigfrid's GoH also used to be in the high 30-50$ range too, but after survivor skins came out they immediately lost popularity. So as long as they are marketable, you'll notice a similar trend:

-New skins are released, resulting in high prices.

-Nobody can afford buying them so the prices lower slowly

-People begin to buy skins, wasting money on a cosmetic for 25$

-Trading is impossible because people want the new skins rather then the old ones.

-People AFK weekly in hopes of getting elegants, but still get Common, spiffy, or classy skins.

But hey, if you feel like wasting 100$ on one item amongst many other skins, then so be it; who am I to judge you for it?

There is absolutely nothing in your entire post that didn't and won't happen w/out marketability, while keeping tradeability.

We've already been down this road; it's not some hypothetical concept.  That is what already happened.  I'm not sure what makes you think people will do a better (or more ethical) job of pricing when there is no accountability or sales record at all.

For the record, Wigfrid's GoH price fell when marketability was turned on, not when Survivor skins were released.  The price dropped from $30-50 to below $10 in less than 1 week due to much higher supply.

It fell even further when Survivor skins were released, which is always going to happen.

The only difference is that the prices will be HIGHER and it will be HARDER to find what you want, and you'll be forced to use currencies from OTHER GAMES to get your hands on them.

I don't see any cons to the market, personally.  AFKers happened LONG before skins hit the market, after all.

AFK servers are the most popular in all servers and probably there are more idling people in player hosted servers to get skins. From what I see, people mostly don't play the game. I see some 30 slot-40 slot - 60 slot servers with legit gameplay and none of them can have 25+ players in rush hours (99%) but AFK servers can have 50 players at a time. I really wonder how many actual players there are in this game? Average number of players in popular servers throughout the day is not exceeding 10.

People keep saying DST is more popular than DS but is it actually true? If you eliminate idlers, is DST still more popular than DS itself?

Like no optimization for servers, people has to have servers with CPUs that has damn high clock speeds. How many cores you got does not matter you may have million cores in your CPU what really matters is your clock speed. If you dont have the required clock speed you can hardly run a server with 10 slot,  Even if you got a server with 30 slot it is really unlikely to have 25+ players in a world at a time, because of the nature of this game and I guess DST is not really that popular at all compared to other survival games Only autumn attracts people to the DST servers. Even experienced players mostly don't wanna join to a world that is in summer or winter or even spring because world is already looted and it is hard to do anything in an empty world..

For some people, DST is only a place where they can get skins and sell them on the market to spend on another game. For others, it is only for getting good skins. Only a handful people would actually play this game if there would not be any skins implemented. Anything you do in DST can be done in DS either. IMO klei sold the same game twice to the people. DS's content is richer than DST at this stage (cuz of SW). Only advantage of DST is skin drops and ability to play with your friends.

3 hours ago, SuperPsiPower said:

Never in my post did I talk about abolishing Trading, only marketability.

If you feel that the market is neccessary, then so be it. But fact of the matter is that people can't be trusted to make decent pricings when new skins are released, due to hype of release and greed. Remember when the Scortching Satchel came out? And the pricing remained in the high 100$ range? Stuff like that is ridiculous. Why buy a cosmetic for 100$ when I can buy like 2 games equivalent to the price? Wigfrid's GoH also used to be in the high 30-50$ range too, but after survivor skins came out they immediately lost popularity. So as long as they are marketable, you'll notice a similar trend:

-New skins are released, resulting in high prices.

-Nobody can afford buying them so the prices lower slowly

-People begin to buy skins, wasting money on a cosmetic for 25$

-Trading is impossible because people want the new skins rather then the old ones.

-People AFK weekly in hopes of getting elegants, but still get Common, spiffy, or classy skins.

But hey, if you feel like wasting 100$ on one item amongst many other skins, then so be it; who am I to judge you for it?

I had big wall of text here but someone would be offended so i keep it simple.

- No one bought DST skin for 100$ stop using that number.

- Yes lot of people are buying those skins that high so just let them and next time when you get "Space Wendy" you can sell it that high?

- You "wasted" that amount of money too. Also we all bought this game on first day but we could wait a little for sale or price drop but yeah we really wanted DST!

- Trading is full of post for survivor and goh skins and only few new ones.

- Who cares that people AFK for commons? LOL

- Again no one bought DST skin for 100$. Did you see trading cards? They started at 50$ or something like that but it doesnt mean someone will buy it. Now they are few cents. 

- All skins are dropping with price. Look at Shadow Webber = last week it was 20€ and now its 10€. Only exception is 1 Wendy skin sooo maybe buy those other 2 Wendy skins? :o

EDIT: @Gingerbread what are you talking about dude ... there was plenty of players before skins were even added. Less people playing these days is problem of Klei taking too long to fix/add features

To completely remove idling for skin drops, klei can make the game so you can't use god mode for skins, and if you use any type of server mod, you won't be able to get skin drops, and it would start encouraging people to play on normal vanilla server instead of playing on server with disgusting fury mods. most mods make the game easier.

4 minutes ago, Kaio17 said:

I lost all my hopes on DST when "Oxygen Not Included" appeared..

Not sure why.  There have been other games released that haven't effected DST whatsoever.

Did you know that Invisible Inc. not only released while DST has been in development, but also already has an expansion?

And it didn't halt anything.

22 hours ago, t0panka said:

Yes lot of people are buying those skins that high so just let them and next time when you get "Space Wendy" you can sell it that high?

The point is, this game isn't merely about profit, as you seem to benefit from this.

22 hours ago, t0panka said:

- You "wasted" that amount of money too. Also we all bought this game on first day but we could wait a little for sale or price drop but yeah we really wanted DST!

- Trading is full of post for survivor and goh skins and only few new ones.

- Who cares that people AFK for commons? LOL

What I've said here and done and 2 different things. I merely have good intentions for the community. Don't antagonize people with information that shouldn't even be posted here, it's very immature.

I've made my point, this is my last post here.

4 minutes ago, SuperPsiPower said:

I merely have good intentions for the community.

I'm going to be perfectly frank here:

We ALL have good intentions for the community, whether we agree or not.

Let's not assume otherwise.

For Pete's sake why are you still arguing about this?

With or without the skins I for one still enjoy the game, and would rather see Klei invest time and dedication in future updates and bug fixes than have them police on how people decide to enjoy the game, as is their problem and shouldn't be up for a debate on the forum if you ask me.

Got deep pockets and made multiple accounts where got a copy of the game and idle one account at a time on some server somewhere? Good luck with getting commons.. :)

On 6/10/2016 at 2:33 AM, t1morino88eex said:

Oh, now that's just a silly statement. Of course they were hopping for the market to get big, it's a form of revenue for the developers, at least for those who consider that paying a fixed price for a game already is not enough. If they wanted for the skins to be nothing more that a "small and simple way to make your character unique" they would have set up their own fixed prices or add them in the upcoming Through the Ages expansion, like, out of the box.

Now, I don't care if people idle for skins. Who cares? It's their copy of the game and they can enjoy it as they like. Nothing wrong there.

But when people attach a price to an item that's worth more than some of the singleplayer DLCs combined and it enforces the image that this is the way to price skins, I find it ridiculous that some people would think that. How would the devs go about making the designs of the item sets for these characters and somehow turn it into a popularity contest which also determines their prices? It was the community that created the prices for these items based on their popularity, not the devs. How would a skin be worth more than the game itself with the devs doing it on purpose?

Lastly, (and I really mean no offense to you) how would you know that the devs were hoping for the skin market to get big? Did you get a direct quote from one of them and decided to keep it to yourself as evidence?

On 6/19/2016 at 6:38 PM, SuperPsiPower said:

What I've said here and done and 2 different things. I merely have good intentions for the community. Don't antagonize people with information that shouldn't even be posted here, it's very immature.

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, thesamon said:

Wait what? Why didn't I know about this?

You didn't know? In last update Klei added new raid boss. He is called "Skins" and is impossible to beat but when you do he will drop timeless skin. There is only 1% chance. So now everyone is trying to kill him thats why "Skins is the main game now" :p

8 minutes ago, t0panka said:

You didn't know? In last update Klei added new raid boss. He is called "Skins" and is impossible to beat but when you do he will drop timeless skin. There is only 1% chance. So now everyone is trying to kill him thats why "Skins is the main game now" :p

Oh really? Time to go to the desert to find gears then, so I can get invited to a raid group camp!

3 hours ago, ADinosaur said:

People are still arguing about skins? DST is TF2 confirmed

People are always going to argue about skins for as long as they are tradeable and marketable.

The only way for people NOT to argue about them is to turn off BOTH tradeability and marketability, and people would only ever get the skins that dropped specifically for them.

And either way, in this case, even that would not curb the issue that's being discussed in this thread, which is AFK'ing for skin drops.

Archived