SKIN HEAVEN SERVERS: Exploit or Fair Use?

On June 10, 2016 at 2:40 AM, t0panka said:

Can you all please realize that without iddlers there would be LOT LESS skins on market and that means bigger prices?

i say EVERYONE go iddle skins and sell them! Better for everyone! They will get few cents or dollars for few skins and we will get better prices in time. Also im not that close minded to be envy about someone getting few dollars from farming commons lol

The system we have now is great and works good so lets fire up your machines and idle for us as much skins as you can. 

AKA

Thank you idlers for giving us cheaper skins!

Preach t0p... Preach.

Well, I LOVE DST. But think about it. When you craft everything, kill every single boss in the game, and stuff like that, most people would be like "Yay. I did everything I could do in the game........ Now what?" And I think that people idles for skins for that exact reason. You have everything in your 9999 days survival world, you just need the skins and you'll have everything in the game. Yeah, some people do it for profit, but it soon will be not that big of a profit anyways. For example: Two days ago, I saw a skin for something like what, 20$? Today it was at 2$. The more people find skins (Legitimately or not), the more the price on the market will get lower, so I don't think people would make that big of a profit. It's just like every other game market. Back to the completion point, I don't think it's so bad to afk skins as long as you don't put them in the market for exaggerated prices (Which for me is more than the price of the game, so as long as it is not more than 15$, in this case.)

sorry if this doesn't make sense, English is not my native language, i'm trying my best. 

On 6/11/2016 at 9:26 PM, Muche said:

c_godmode can now take optional parameter target, which is expected to be a player.

So it should be possible to do either c_godmode() for yourself, or c_godmode(AllPlayers[1]), or newly added c_godmode(UserToPlayer(1)).

None of these works. Have I done something wrong?

I am using the same computer to host a dedicated server as I play. Other command like c_give and c_gonext works. Godmode doesn't work. Any idea?

Edit. Nvm, it worked now.

56 minutes ago, Mday said:

Edit. Nvm, it worked now.

After further testing, it seems like the server takes a while (about 10~15 secs after joining the server )to recognize me as the server admin and hence the command wasn't working at first.

On 6/9/2016 at 6:11 PM, Kaio17 said:

Team Fortress 2

bingo

there's no point in trying to 'punish' them and honestly, they're pretty harmless. if they're all contained in their own server than that's even better if you ask me. i know personally i probably wouldn't have any of the maxwell skins if not for these guys (and @osmRhodey ;;). and as for circumventing it? let me just dig out this bioshock quote again... (perhaps replace hack with idle, yeah?)

delete.PNG

so how about we just leave it as is so those of us who do like playing the game don't have to jump through hoops just to do so? i mean really, 4 drops a week and the majority of them being commons... i don't think they're putting too much of a rift through the market. prices will rise and fall as the supply fluctuates. 

I don't get whats bad about idling. These guys increase total amount of items in market, thus decreasing the price eventually. Their idling doesn't decrease your chance to get rare stuff, either. Also, if you are willing to show how much swag money you got by showing off your these incredibly-rare expensive items, it's still better to actually be able to buy those in market rather than endlessly wait to buy them from those who got them "legally".

Remove gifts if any kind of anti afk or godmode is enabled on the server. It's suppoused to be reward for playing, not afking or way to earn money.

Also to people that write "what's bad about people getting gifts/idling or people earning money this way", I hope you understand basic principles of economy and know that the more people get (exploit their way through) skins, the less it gonna be worth. So in the end legit players gonna lose because time they spend to get them is less and less rewarding.

28 minutes ago, FTR said:

the more people get (exploit their way through) skins, the less it gonna be worth. So in the end legit players gonna lose because time they spend to get them is less and less rewarding.

Well, most players are going to see this as a purely good thing, except in that rare instance when you are trying to sell off a duplicate rare skin.

MOST players hold onto their rare skins, though, making that a moot point to almost anyone except those exclusively trying to sell skins for profit.  This is part of the reason those skins remain expensive; a lot of players will not bother w/ the Marketplace and simply keep the rare skins they get as drops, because reasons.

....and I daresay that profiteers won't get a whole lot of sympathy from those being exploited to drive their profits, lol.

It depends. Personally I love selling skins I don't want anyway to afford the ones I want.

In the end it doesn't even matter who profits, who doesn't etc. It's just shouldn't be allowed for people to cheat their way to get skins, just like you shouldn't be able to refill hunger with grass.

27 minutes ago, FTR said:

It depends. Personally I love selling skins I don't want anyway to afford the ones I want.

In the end it doesn't even matter who profits, who doesn't etc. It's just shouldn't be allowed for people to cheat their way to get skins, just like you shouldn't be able to refill hunger with grass.

Just for the record, I agree w/ you about the principle.  I've said that several times.  : )

However, this isn't a new discussion; it's been rehashed over and again by now, and the conclusions are always the same.

8 hours ago, Kaio17 said:

If someone find this "Auto Open the Gift" mod let me know..

looks to be pretty useful.

It is a mod made for those servers, apparently. It could be used for real playing rather than idling (have you ever had preparations against an ewecus going on, only to have one player delay everything to go back to the camp because a box appeared and they HAD to open it NOW?).

Personally, I don't really like playing DST, I'm just in it for the skins, so I use these servers a lot.

I'll agree it's exploit, but I don't care. There are so many issues I have at with Klei at the moment, that I feel this balances it out a bit.

Plus, there's no real solution to this. Ban the servers? Ban AFK mods? Please. 

1 hour ago, Sciuridae said:

Personally, I don't really like playing DST, I'm just in it for the skins, so I use these servers a lot.

I'll agree it's exploit, but I don't care. There are so many issues I have at with Klei at the moment, that I feel this balances it out a bit.

Plus, there's no real solution to this. Ban the servers? Ban AFK mods? Please. 

I'm curious what your issues w/ Klei are, honestly.

Just one thing: servers with idlers eating up local bandwidth. Generally requesting connection to the Klei servers and thus inadvertently increasing rubberbanding for the community. I am going to leave it at this.

And please do not quote my hyberboles and loose thoughts as if they were taken as arguments. Just saying. I may be positively neutral on skins (good if they exist, will hardly notice if they vanish), but adding imaginary weight to one hohum hyperbole (even stated as such) is not something nice or beneficial. Thank you in advance.

I think that - since skins give no power in game, and aren't particularly amazing (they look great, but I wouldn't say they are a bragging right) it's perfectly fine for these to be afk farmed.  The market may reduce in price, but that is probably a good thing.

It's not like loyalty items are being farmed, or that this is some exploit a normal person couldn't do themselves.  No one is getting more than their 4 a week...  So what is the big deal?  Who cares?  Come back when it's an actual exploit.

I know i'm late to the discussion, but I may as well contribute while I still can. 

I mean, if people wanna afk for skins, they can. I don't do it as much as I use to, and only do it when im busy throughout the week and have no time to play. But even so I don't think people should be buying 10-25$ skins off the market, since its more then cost of the game itself. The profit for each skin should be moderated by Klei, meaning that there would be a certain amount of money you could price things. For Example:

Common - 0.10-0.20

Classy - 0.30-0.50

Spiffy - 0.70-0.90

Distinguished - 1.00$

Elegant - 1.00-2.00$

I only propose this because Don't Starve Together has become nothing more then a goldmine for profits, rather then gameplay. I mean, when Triumphant skins came out, Wendy remained the undisputed highest priced skin - 50$ and even now it still exceeds the other skins in price.

28 minutes ago, SuperPsiPower said:

The profit for each skin should be moderated by Klei, meaning that there would be a certain amount of money you could price things. For Example:

Does the Steam Community Market even allow for that kind of control? 

I mean, people sell stuff for ridiculous prices on it, but that's only because people actually buy for ridiculous prices. The only way to control it is for people to show some restraint. 

15 minutes ago, CaptainFun said:

Does the Steam Community Market even allow for that kind of control? 

I mean, people sell stuff for ridiculous prices on it, but that's only because people actually buy for ridiculous prices. The only way to control it is for people to show some restraint. 

In my opinion, allowing skins to be marketable has been their worst decision since the Willow change.

43 minutes ago, SuperPsiPower said:

In my opinion, allowing skins to be marketable has been their worst decision since the Willow change.

Woodie is a serious contender.

Either way, no going back on it now. The thing to revise at this point would be the drop system. 

13 hours ago, SuperPsiPower said:

It was so much worse before they were marketable.  

It's not like Wigfrid's GoH wasn't already going for $50, but you could only buy skins w/ CS:GO or TF2 keys, artificially keeping prices high by cutting off most of the buyer's market.  Or if you didn't want to pay, you had to already have good skins or depend on others' kindness if you wanted to get one of your own.

Not to mention there was no record of what skins were actually selling for, so you could just charge whatever for them and buyers had no idea if they were being cheated or not.  And they were, often.

Skins turned into some almost exclusive trading club where you had to be connected to other traders in the know or get lucky to have any real hope at participation and selection was extremely limited (low supply), demand was limited (only keys and other skins for currency) which made prices high for no real reason, and deceit was also high as there was no oversight whatsoever.

I'd rather not go back to that, myself.

Or do you mean that they shouldn't be tradeable at all, and nobody will ever have any skins except for the ones that they get from drops?

Because, personally, I feel that choosing how much I feel comfortable paying for skins I wouldn't have had otherwise is still better than not having the option at all.

If the skin is more than I'm willing to pay, then I... don't buy it.  But the marketplace has opened up a huge selection of ridiculously cheap skins to personalize your character, and I'm all for that.

I always find it hard to understand complaining about high-priced items on the marketplace.  We set the prices w/ our demand.  If it weren't for that demand in the first place, we wouldn't even care that those skins are more expensive.

A person complains about a $25 Wendy skin because they want a Wendy skin and don't have 25 bucks.  It may sound ugly, but I think that what the marketplace has really exposed is how many people have 25 bucks they're willing to spend on that, and some w/ a firmer grip on their pocketbooks are a bit salty that financial situation might have a determining factor on their enjoyment of a video game.

But that's when I tend to ask myself the real question:  "Do I enjoy DST any less because I don't have Wigfrid's Triumphant skin?"

And for me, the answer is a firm no.

2 hours ago, leonseye said:

Or do you mean that they shouldn't be tradeable at all, and nobody will ever have any skins except for the ones that they get from

Never in my post did I talk about abolishing Trading, only marketability.

If you feel that the market is neccessary, then so be it. But fact of the matter is that people can't be trusted to make decent pricings when new skins are released, due to hype of release and greed. Remember when the Scortching Satchel came out? And the pricing remained in the high 100$ range? Stuff like that is ridiculous. Why buy a cosmetic for 100$ when I can buy like 2 games equivalent to the price? Wigfrid's GoH also used to be in the high 30-50$ range too, but after survivor skins came out they immediately lost popularity. So as long as they are marketable, you'll notice a similar trend:

-New skins are released, resulting in high prices.

-Nobody can afford buying them so the prices lower slowly

-People begin to buy skins, wasting money on a cosmetic for 25$

-Trading is impossible because people want the new skins rather then the old ones.

-People AFK weekly in hopes of getting elegants, but still get Common, spiffy, or classy skins.

But hey, if you feel like wasting 100$ on one item amongst many other skins, then so be it; who am I to judge you for it?

Archived