SKIN HEAVEN SERVERS: Exploit or Fair Use?

16 minutes ago, verm1ll1on said:

Oh, yea, when Wilson's Triumphant skin first came out, it was over 400 bucks in my country's currency, almost 500 bucks. That's over half the minimum wage here. How in the flying fuckity **** is that making the game better? I do NOT play the game for skins. I bought this **** as soon as it came out and have over 500 hours spent in it.

Even though, I surely like the skins and find them a great addition, but when you work, have a social life, a girlfriend and other stuff, you can't always spend the time required to obtain all 4 skins. It's something I really like from a game I love and support and we only get so few of them! So am I wrong for farming the damn skins when I can't play? This game is NOT about skins and having them at a low price in the market is GREAT. What is the ******* problem with everyone having nice skins to customize as one likes best? I truly do not see why this bothers some people SO much.

They added in a cool new skin for you to have a chance at getting to make your Wilson look cool.  How is that not making the game better?

Other players who got the skin and didn't feel like they needed it put it on sale, knowing that it had just come out and was very rare at the time.

My question is:  Why exactly do you NEED Wilson's Triumphant skin the day it comes out?  How is NOT having the skin HURTING your gameplay?

Why is having cool new items to strive for (through trading, playing w/ the Trade Inn, financially, or through RNG) such a bad thing?

And honestly, it doesn't really bother me that much.  I accepted Klei's reasoning on the matter quite a long time ago and have moved on, but there's something about being able to exploit the drop system and then make money from other people who have been hoping and NOT exploiting the system to get their skins that just personally rubs me the wrong way.

Clearly, I am only speaking for myself here.  I have no idea how others might feel about the matter, but either way, if Klei isn't going to do anything about it (for pretty much the exact reasons that @rezecib stated), then it's not really a big deal.

1 hour ago, DarkXero said:

Wow. Amazing. Preposterous. Unbelievable.

I am in no shape or form or way going to check out that server and I will completely erase it from my memory.

I wouldn't want to miss out on Beefalo Riding (tm), Twiggy Trees (c) (tm), and Empty Ruins (patent pending).

Don't forget Effigies

53 minutes ago, leonseye said:

there's something about being able to exploit the drop system and then make money from other people who have been hoping and NOT exploiting the system to get their skins that just personally rubs me the wrong way.

THIS.

I wouldn't be bothered so much if they're just excited for drops but the farming + selling is a bit disrespectful to Klei, IMHO. Also the reason why I refuse to buy on the market (because let's be honest, most of those selling rare skins got it from cheating).

It's a hard problem to solve. People will find ways to cheat the system. But like the OP, I'm just saying I think it's wrong and I refuse to do it. So I keep wearing my pink t-shirt with pride.

11 minutes ago, applebottom said:

THIS.

I wouldn't be bothered so much if they're just excited for drops but the farming + selling is a bit disrespectful to Klei, IMHO. Also the reason why I refuse to buy on the market (because let's be honest, most of those selling rare skins got it from cheating).

It's a hard problem to solve. People will find ways to cheat the system. But like the OP, I'm just saying I think it's wrong and I refuse to do it. So I keep wearing my pink t-shirt with pride.

Ditto. I never buy and probably never will. Not only do I consider spending on books, games and a few charity organisations I know to be trustworthy a better option, but I also don't want to feed money for something with virtually no tangible value which goes primarily to some XYZ instead of the artist who designed it (that would be fair... to an extent; like a commission). I hope nobody is offended.

I wish I was as morally strong as you two, lol.

However, most of my "rare" skins were bought from a $5 binge on Steam shortly after the Marketplace came out.

Then again, I did fight pretty hard in favor of the Marketplace, so I guess it would be a bit weird if I didn't utilize it...

I will say again, though, that even these "cheaters" serve at least one positive purpose; the more skins they flood the marketplace w/, the lower the prices for all of us.

@leonseye My only point was that this particular skin is a rare drop and too expensive to buy. Didn't say a single thing about wanting or needing it.

Really? You get only 4 drops every week and chances are those are going to be commons. Most people who like the idea of customizing characters are willing to spent a few bucks on something that they might never get by drops.

So why are exploiters bad guys? I mean, they bought the game and are offering a service that people WANT. You can't improve the number of gifts you get every week or the chances of dropping something rare, so DST skins are a highly inefficient way to make money.

Another thing, if I NEED a skin right NOW, you have absolutely nothing to do with it. If I enjoy the game more because of skins and want some, you still have nothing to do with it and  I'll be glad to find someone selling what I want. It doesn't affect anyone, it doesn't ruin the game, it's completely harmless.

3 minutes ago, verm1ll1on said:

@leonseye My only point was that this particular skin is a rare drop and too expensive to buy. Didn't say a single thing about wanting or needing it.

Really? You get only 4 drops every week and chances are those are going to be commons. Most people who like the idea of customizing characters are willing to spent a few bucks on something that they might never get by drops.

So why are exploiters bad guys? I mean, they bought the game and are offering a service that people WANT. You can't improve the number of gifts you get every week or the chances of dropping something rare, so DST skins are a highly inefficient way to make money.

Another thing, if I NEED a skin right NOW, you have absolutely nothing to do with it. If I enjoy the game more because of skins and want some, you still have nothing to do with it and  I'll be glad to find someone selling what I want. It doesn't affect anyone, it doesn't ruin the game, it's completely harmless.

You act as though I'm vilifying you or something.  I said it's not really a big deal.

However, if you're upset that I feel the way that I do about it, well... you're just going to be upset, I guess.

I don't really care that much about people getting skins for themselves by idling instead of actually playing the game; I don't like it, but it doesn't meaningfully affect anyone else. What I mainly object to is people making money from skins that they got while idling.

10 minutes ago, leonseye said:

You act as though I'm vilifying you or something.  I said it's not really a big deal.

However, if you're upset that I feel the way that I do about it, well... you're just going to be upset, I guess.

I certainly am not feeling vilified. The whole situation is, though. I just want to understand why are so many people feeling troubled about this.

I certainly am not feeling vilified. The whole situation is, though. I just want to understand why are so many people feeling troubled about this.

Eh, it's more the principle than actually caring about whether you are doing it or not.

I'd feel the same way about anybody exploiting something for personal gain at the expense of those who are trying to do right.

But it's a video game, it's not a big deal, and I understand the reasoning behind not putting resources toward curbing it.  My very first post in this thread states that if you want to, you should just go ahead and AFK your way to skins and cash.

At the end of the day, nobody is going to really care that much anyway.

4 minutes ago, leonseye said:

I'd feel the same way about anybody exploiting something for personal gain at the expense of those who are trying to do right.

What you mean by "right"? Why would it be wrong to use it for personal gain? People doing that are not harming anyone, just selling something they don't want to someone else who does. Even if they don't like or play the game, they payed for it and are basically doing a favor to other players who want some stuff.

4 minutes ago, verm1ll1on said:

What you mean by "right"? Why would it be wrong to use it for personal gain? People doing that are not harming anyone, just selling something they don't want to someone else who does. Even if they don't like or play the game, they payed for it and are basically doing a favor to other players who want some stuff.

Let's just be completely honest here.

AFK'ing to get your skins was never the intent of the drop system.  I don't really care how you want to try to spin it, that is the true bottom line.

You can do what you want, but you are certainly not going to change my mind about that.

4 minutes ago, leonseye said:

Let's just be completely honest here.

AFK'ing to get your skins was never the intent of the drop system.  I don't really care how you want to try to spin it, that is the true bottom line.

The intent of the drop system is to give people skins. What matters the way you use it? People have been playing this game long before skins came along and the game is good enough to keep people interested without the expectation of receiving a gift.

The intent of the drop system is to give people skins. What matters the way you use it? People have been playing this game long before skins came along and the game is good enough to keep people interested without the expectation of receiving a gift.

You're oversimplifying.

You're absolutely right that people have been playing this game long before skins and it is definitely good enough to keep playing even w/out them.

However, the drop system is very clearly intended to reward players for playing the game over time.  That is why they are spread out over time the way they are, and not just given to you all at once the second you log in each week.

You can circumvent mechanics because Klei isn't going to be bothered to stop you, and there's no real incentive to for anyone, but don't try to act like you are doing some kind of great service to the community.  There is ONE inadvertent positive by-product of this behavior, and that is lower prices through higher supply to the Marketplace.  That is it.

But that is NOT why you are doing it, and you have already stated that fact yourself.  Again, this isn't a big deal, but I'm not ever going to feel "okay" with circumventing intended mechanics to make money off of other people.

Ever.

5 minutes ago, leonseye said:

You're oversimplifying.

You're absolutely right that people have been playing this game long before skins and it is definitely good enough to keep playing even w/out them.

However, the drop system is very clearly intended to reward players for playing the game over time.  That is why they are spread out over time the way they are, and not just given to you all at once the second you log in each week.

You can circumvent mechanics because Klei isn't going to be bothered to stop you, and there's no real incentive to for anyone, but don't try to act like you are doing some kind of great service to the community.  There is ONE inadvertent positive by-product of this behavior, and that is lower prices through higher supply to the Marketplace.  That is it.

But that is NOT why you are doing it, and you have already stated that fact yourself.  Again, this isn't a big deal, but I'm not ever going to feel "okay" with circumventing intended mechanics to make money off of other people.

Ever.

Yea, I do it because I really like skins, I can't always spent 10 hours playing to obtain all four and I have no moral issues with AFK method... Never said I was doing any kind of service to anyone, but myself. Guess you're right about the rewarding for time spent thing, although I don't think anyone should really care too much about this. Well

14 minutes ago, Gyths said:

Oh dear, let's not expand 5-8 more pages discussing the same ideals but in a different prompt.

Not like last time...

burp...

But.. but I'm so good at expanding things for 5-8 pages...

Spoilsport   ._.

Whether or not anyone agrees with AFKing for skins, it's not as if the skins have any impact on the game at all- except to maybe flaunt your luck/wealth. It's not like you need to have skins in general, they're just an addition to the game so players can differentiate each other. I really don't understand why people have issues with AFKing for some cosmetics- unless that person goes on a server and expects to be force fed and protected while they're away then yeah I can see the issue.

I do like skins myself despite selling some for money to buy other games on Steam (mostly skins I do not want). It's a win-win situation for both the buyer and seller. I get to buy more games from selling skins, and the purchaser now has something that they want. It's not like you're forced to buy/sell skins anyway.

Maybe I'm wrong, but personally I see no issues with going godmode for some cosmetics.

The thing is that the devs never intended for the skins to become a serious market this quickly. They were always meant to be a small and simple way to just make your character unique.A way to stand out from the crowd, as it were. However, paying upwards of up $50.00 for a skin is just ridiculous in my eyes. A person got lucky in a server I was on and managed to get Wendy's Triumphant. Instead of holding onto the skin and using it, they immediately went onto the market and intended to sell it for profit.

But I don't think these idlers are all that evil for doing this. If they wanted to, they could set up their own little server, put a password on it, and just idle on their own with the added bonus of privacy. The problem here is that a group of players are doing it in the open for all to see and we're all scolding them for doing so. Maybe if the system got a small change in how it detected movement and game-play between players. I also always thought that maybe if the game were more likely to give you items for the character you were playing as, people wouldn't be so upset over not getting what they wanted.

I don't know. I've played for a little over 200 hours, and I still feel clueless as to what the fanbase for this game could want out of it. Maybe skins shouldn't be such a big deal, and they really shouldn't have such absurd price tags on the market.

10 minutes ago, TheKingDedede said:

A person got lucky in a server I was on and managed to get Wendy's Triumphant. Instead of holding onto the skin and using it, they immediately went onto the market and intended to sell it for profit.

;-;

why can't I have nice things? ;-;

Archived